Health, Energy + Tournaments

• Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze

Health + Energy Vs Performance

May 2016 - Reworked my Blog and changed Blog Title and format to MTTs starting from Page 3

Hello fellow PokerStrategists! Welcome to my blog! Before I start im going to give a quick warning that sometimes I talk alot!
      My name is Jack, im 26 years old and I live in England. I have been playing poker somewhat casually on and off for a few years now. I haven't really made much progress in the way of profit, but I do believe I have improved my game slowly over time. After exploring different formats over the years I have finally settled on 6-max normal tables at Pokerstars. The decision to go for 6-max has been a recent (but definite) one, so my journey will be starting from the beginning.

After being a lurker for quite some time and making excuses to myself of why im not going start my blog yet, I have finally come to a place where I feel confident enough to get it going. I have put it off for such a long time because for this to work in the way that I want it too I kind of have to go into some personal areas of my life more than some other blogs, in order to really compare my mental and physical state to my results. I guess it could be compared to a mental game diary in a way. This blog is actually going to be very important to me in many ways. Its going to be a bit of an unusual blog, it may or may not be for everyone for the following reasons:

1) Its main focus will concentrate on my health, and how the variance of my illness corresponds with the variance of my results. This is going to be very useful for me to look back on, and hopefully I can make some conclusions from this and perhaps get some insight and form some kind of plan to help things go along more smoothly for me.
        2) The nature of the blog will involve alot of mental game talk rather than the technical aspects of poker, although I will try find a nice balance of the two and include some hands, mistakes ect
        3) Due to the nature of my illness, which is called M.E and/or CFS, I cannot promise how frequent my updates will be, or the volume of hands each week will produce. The plus side of this though is that if im too ill to play, ill be more likely to be on my blog, forums or lessons so I can still be advancing to some degree.
        4) I have a tendency to write walls of text!

M.E / CFS & Poker

I have talked about this a fair bit in my intro thread already and don't want bore anyone too much! But anyway M.E involves many different symptoms which basically makes it hard to do pretty much anything some of the time! It can be very debilating, involves a lot pain management and can make it very hard to think and concentrate. In basic terms its when your immune system is permanently thinking something is wrong, when it isnt! For anyone who may be interested the easiest way to understand it is with this link.
      Some may say that just those things alone will make poker an impossible dream, as we all know poker requires constant attention and determination. But poker is more than just poker for me. Aside from the fact I love the game, for me its one of my only options to still try and make something of myself, as and when I can. The illness has swings just like poker, which, just like poker, you cannot predict when it will be up, or down. For that reason I cannot reliably work, and I have other responsibilities to care of anyways. So for me poker is a form of escapism and a possibility of achieving something until i recover.
      When I research illness and poker 95% of the advice given is to just not play and just wait until you get better. But I must to choose to ignore that! Im going to work on my mental game, read both of Jared Tendlers books and whatever else i can get my hands on.
      My determination gets in my way with poker, and I try to play, even when I know im too ill that day and am most likely playing my F game. This often comes across in my graphs. So that's the inspiration for this blog, if I keep a diary I should be able to recognize these patterns visually and behave myself!

The Positives

Its not all doom and gloom! Positives must be out of bad situations and I do have some advantages. Because im unable to work for a company in a reliable fashion, that means when im not taking care of my other responsibilities, I have more time to put into poker, whether that's learning or playing or even on the worst days just watching wsop on youtube xD
      Another huge advantage I have is I have a poker partner, we play different formats but its still invaluable to have a second opinion with hand review in hm2! He is actually blogging here too, which I am going to shamelessly plug and link!
      And I guess another positive is that, although My A-game is often unachievable, i do sometimes get by quite well on my or B or even C game. If I could just recognize my stubbornness to try and play regardless of how I feel, I should start to gain a more positive ev. This blog will help me to do that.

Goals

1) Write in my blog as often I can, comparing my graph results with my energy/health for the day
        2) Try to pinpoint hands that were bad luck or bad concentration
        3) Battle my way through 6max 10nl and move up instead of down!
        4) Learn something from PokerStrategy every day, if possible
        5) Evaluate trouble hands more often, and be brave enough to post my stupid mistakes!
        6) Be as prepared as I possibly can to start the long grind from January onward. I know that supernova is way out of my league, seeing as im a beginner in my chosen format, the stakes that im playing wont make me enough points and that im unable to stick to a decent volume schedule. But im going to see how far I can get anyway. No harm in trying and seeing how far I can get!
        I am aiming to be on 25nl, or close too it, as quickly as possible. I don't mind setting myself a difficult goal, and if I don't make it, no harm done ill just try again next time. Maybe I could at least make some money in the journey, I would be happy enough with that.

If anyone was wondering what the black cats are all about, my cat is 19 and I am 26, so we have grown up together! When I sit at my desk and play she jumps up next to me and watches me play and brings me good luck. She will always be my lucky mascot!

This is my tiny sample starter graph, most of these hand were done with no prior knowledge of 6-max so im not too unhappy! The hands are a mixture of 2nl 5nl and 10nl as I seem to be more comfortable in the nano limits at the moment. My BRM, which is 25BI+ means i should be playing 10s though, so I guess I'll be playing that from now on, whilst gaining more knowledge through articles and such.

If you have made it this far, then thanks for listening!
      :gl: at the Tables =)
  • 56 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi Jakkosh,

So it finally happened - welcome to the blogs! :f_drink:

That was a nice introduction. Did you design that logo yourself?
      Black cats may be considered a symbol of bad luck in some parts of the world, but we both know better than that.

So when exactly did you start playing SH cash games, and what is your bankroll?
      Speaking of which, if you are looking for some additional motivation, feel free to check out our Get Rich or Die Tryin' challenge. It's up to you whether you want to participate or not, but it will be exciting to follow you on your journey either way.

Best of luck, and be sure to keep us updated! :gl:
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hey Harrier, thanks for your support!
      Yeah i did the logo :D Well i didnt draw any of it, but played around in adobe lol xD
      I have dabbled in 6-max now and then since I first started playing, actually my very first obsession with poker was 6-max sngs on PKR! I find SH the most fun as well, which i think is important. More action and less table seem to suit me better.
      For SH cash though, I haven't had much experience to be honest, have been experimenting there for a few months on and off when iv been able to play and am trying to convert myself from my full - ring cash habits. Its going ok so far though, and its time to make a real go at it.
      There is so much content to learn here on PokerStrategy for 6-max so if i stick to my plan, and learn regularly I think ill be ok. I currently have 30BI for 10nl so ill see how it goes in there.
      I'll go check out the bankroll challenge and make my first update in the next couple of days.
      GL at the tables
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Have you checked out w34z3l's 6-max walkthrough yet? It's a quite popular coaching series from last year that should contain everything you need to know to get going. If you think that you have most of the basics down already, I'd give it a go. Videos can be found here, the related forum thread is here.

I'm looking forward to your first update, I hope you crush those games! :s_cool:
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Thanks yeah, have done the first lesson only so far, but it definitely looks like a very good course to go through, so ill be going through all of them. Have been doing Lemons course at the same time too, cant hurt to do both! Hopefully I can get gold status next month, if I can get a solid grind in. Then I can look through the red line rampage as well. Best not overload myself with it all at once anyway i guess xD
      Thanks for the reply harrier, you are helpful as always =)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jakkosh
      Hopefully I can get gold status next month, if I can get a solid grind in. Then I can look through the red line rampage as well. Best not overload myself with it all at once anyway i guess xD
      Yeah, I'd save the Red Line Rampage for later. First of all, like you said, you should try not to overload yourself with too much stuff at once, and rather focus on internalizing and applying the concepts you learned so far. Secondly, the concepts in the Red Line Rampage are a bit more advanced, and you should have a solid understanding of the previous courses before you dive in. The first video in the series even mentions that you should ideally have finished the regular 6-max walkthrough before.

Gold status should definitely be obtainable with a decent NL10 grind, good luck with that. If I remember correctly, there are one or two of the later videos in the 6-max walkthrough that do require the gold status.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      GL on your journey, I will read when I find time! :f_thumbsup:
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Had a day off today mostly, just did another part of w34z3l's 6-max walkthrough, got all the charts together, did the daily spin and go challenge on pokerstars and thats about it today.
      Harrier - Yeah that definitely sounds like the right way to go about things. Seems like i got plenty to concentrate on for a while, thanks for clarifying that for me. I think part of my next weeks plan will to be organize my learning time correctly.
      Vonki - Thank you for your interest! I'll go take a look at your bankroll challenge blog in return =)
      GL on the tables all
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Energy 1/10

Had to take a rain check today with all I had planned :| Had a solid grind and full blog update in mind today, but woke up with a bad day health wise. So as I promised myself, I am going to listen to my body and behave myself with the hopes of a better tomorrow! It is very frustrating as I only have a few days left with my reload bonus, but never mind! Im going to attend Lemons coaching tonight to still keep myself active in some way. I have also sorted out my workspace with all my new charts and made it generally more clear and spacious.
      I have already accepted that im an unusual case, and I have to adapt my plans as I go so im not too disappointed. I am after all still achieving what I set out to do with the blog and can look back one day and see if I can find any patterns. In one way the blog is working already as usually I would try to soldier on with my plan for the day, play my F game and keep myself in low health and energy, then be unhappy with the results!
      I am still going to make plans for each day and week, and adapt them if I need too.

My Plan For Tomorrow

1) Update Blog with graphs, comparisons to health/energy and problem hands from the previous week
        2) Opt into the bankroll challenge (why not!)
        3) Grind for as long as possible, with appropriate breaks (something I need to improve on for sure)
        4) Lesson 3 of w34z3l's 6-max walkthrough

I have rested alot today in the hopes it will make tomorrows ideas alot more likely to happen, so fingers crossed!

• Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Energy 4/10

A little better today, a very bad start to the day, but started to feel better as the day went on. Had surprise house guests, so had to put some time and energy aside for that, but I dont see them very often so am very happy. I had to make a choice from yesterdays plan with the rest of my time, so I chose to get a bit of volume in. Didnt go too badly, 1BI up and one more segment of reload bonus completed. Busted a 6-max tourney near the bubble, made a bad fold and tilted abit, oops!

Successes -

1) Time for grinding
        2) Poker education - went over previous lesson from w34z3l's 6-max walkthrough to make sure I didnt miss anything

Failures-

1) Graph and hand review
        2) Opt in to bankroll challenge

So not that bad in my eyes. Not much of an update, had to prioritize today. Will update again tomorrow.

GL on tables all
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Haven't heard from you in a while, mate. How are things going lately?
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze

It has been a little while since I updated last, it has been manic few days! There have been highs and lows, in poker and in health. I have to admit my mental game has been all over the place during this time. With that in mind I am listing to "The Mental Game of Poker" again on audio-book. Seems I have forgotten quite alot since I listened to it last, its definitely the kind of book that benefits from rereading. I'm about half way through again, and its given me some ideas in the way of structuring my blog, which I will put into action in the future.
      Converting from full ring to 6-max can be difficult! The swings have taken some getting used to. I have to admit it has taken a toll on my mental game, but, we live and learn.

I have had good days...

And bad days...........

The bad day tilted me heavily, to a point where I questioned my whole game. I think having low energy from being ill had a big part to play, and the next day I woke up in a different mood. But the experience of it taught me I was definitely still a mental game fish! I am going to work on that and make it one of my priorities.

Last month I didn't get much volume done. I only started playing in the middle of the month. I concentrated on learning as a priority and starting off my blog, and had to take a fair bit of time off for various reasons including health. So my sample for last month is extremely tiny this time round. Therefor I don't have much material to compare my energy to my performance. The purple marks on the bottom of the graph below indicates the hands that I remember being out of energy, but carried on playing regardless. So far it goes hand in hand with profit, or lack of. Hopefully this is going to be useful for me to look back on one day!

I'm ok with my results from last month though, apart from the tiny sample size of course, but that cant be helped as I struggled with having alot of ill days. This effected my mental game and my actual game. I more or less broke even whilst learning and getting used to shorthanded so it could of been worse. I also gained $30 in reload bonus and vip reward. Hopefully my next graph will have a lot more volume and a lot less times where I knew of should of logged off due to my energy.

Had a useful lesson on Monday last week with lemon which has convinced me to post my hands more often. So trouble hands of the previous month coming up next post. Am going to attend the next coaching tomorrow evening.

GL on the tables all.

• Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Harrier - Thanks for dropping by :f_drink:
      Just had a busy weekend so have been abit quite on here, iv still been lurking around now and then though. Just about to go and check in with your blog, and see how your computer suituation went! :f_thumbsup:
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Jakkosh, just want to say you're a great example for other guys - it's awesome that you can simply accept your situation and get the best out if it!

I think especially in your case (and mine, I can be an emo sometimes, especially when physically tired ;p) working on the game from both ends is really important, learning a lot of new concepts etc. but improve your game at it's worst will be equally if not more important
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hey Lemon, thanks for the comments, means alot :s_thumbsup:

And thanks for the tip too, you are definitely right. I will make that a part of my blog for sure, I can look at my game at its worst and if I keep a record of some of that in here, I can compare it over time to see how quickly my F game is improving.

Thanks for stopping by and see you in tomorrows coaching :s_drink:
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze

Apologies for the inactivity lately, have had a weird week with real life emergencies popping up everywhere! It made me kind of tilty so I thought the best thing would be to leave the poker world alone for a little while. Am back now so ill make an update later of how the day has been. Only trouble is I lost my train of thought on my trouble hands from my previous sessions after my little break, but im sure there will be some new ones soon enough!
      Had another good lesson with lemons beginner course on monday which has given me alot to think about. Just want to say thanks again to Lemon for mentioning my blog the other day. It makes it an easier journey when you are encouraged along the way! My game has definitely improved since I have been more active around here.
      Have decided its probably best to warm up for longer than usual today as I have been out of action for a while.

Overall energy for the past five days - 1/10
      Current energy for today - 4/10

Goals for today

:spade: Warm up (listen to a 6-max lesson here on ps and play on 5nl for 200 hands)
        :heart: Get some volume done in 10nl
        :diamond: Keep conscious of my energy, stop playing when I know I should!
        :club: Update end of day progress in blog
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze

Had to cut my session short today as I found my energy waning, and tilt growing. I may do another session later if I feel up to it.
      So only a short session today, but nevermind.

I have been a little but unlucky today as you can see. Had my queens cracked by a fish, got him all in by the turn and he made his flush draw on the river. Also had my kings cracked by queens, all in preflop 110 big blinds. Thats ok though, I still broke even so it could have been worse. I did notice that I started to tilt a little afterwards, but i think that was a mixture of the bad beat and my energy running out. Seems I tend to float more than I should when im tilting and start to get a bit loose passive. At least I am starting to recognize my own tilt patterns with more clarity so I can cut it quicker.

Not really many interesting hands to report on today but heres one that confused me a little, it caught me in my F game. The villian just joined the table so I didnt have any read on him. His line seemed abit confusing to me and I wasnt sure enough to put him on a hand. Maybe he was pushing me off the pot? Maybe my mistake was to call the re raise on the turn, if I was just going to fold to a bet on the river anyway.

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2813708
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $14.60
      BTN: $13.28
      SB: $10.00
      BB: $10.55
      UTG: $10.63
      Hero (MP): $25.69

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with Q:diamond: A:club:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.30, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.30, 1 fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.95) A:heart: 3:diamond: 8:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.55, BTN calls $0.55, BB calls $0.55

Turn: ($2.60) T:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.50, BTN folds, BB raises to $3.50, Hero calls $2

River: ($9.60) J:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $6.20 all in, Hero folds

Final Pot: $9.60
      BB wins $9.17
      (Rake: $0.43)

Looking back on it I guess he could of had A10 or trips. He turned out to have quite respectable stats in the hands afterwards. I see my sizing on the flop shouldve been higher as well. So yeah its not a complex or a monster hand but I am still confused if I made the right play or not.

Well I have ticked off my goals for the day, despite the tiny volume. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive!
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      AQ is a clear fold to me. At these stakes people almost never have bluffs, not enough to make a comfortable call based on population info. General rule is if you get raised on the turn, a one pair hand should be an easy muck (unless potcomitted). I'd even hate life having mid 2pair getting raised on the turn/river :)
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Thanks for confirming that for me vonki. I shall be folding that re raise next time. Helps to hear some confirmation to just drill it in. I was being a bit too loose for a little while there.
      Thanks again and GL at the tables :s_thumbsup:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jakkosh
      Apologies for the inactivity lately, have had a weird week with real life emergencies popping up everywhere! It made me kind of tilty so I thought the best thing would be to leave the poker world alone for a little while.
      Don't worry about things like that, real life takes precedence. In fact, I think it was wise to put poker on the back burner for a while when you know that you wouldn't have been on top of your game. Blindly pushing through would only lead to problems, both on and off the tables.

Glad to see you back, and also welcome to the Get Rich or Die Tryin' challenge!