A pretty uneventful year
        12%
        Very good, I am happy with my performance
        8%
      Total: 158 Votes
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      First of all, Happy New Year Everyone! :)

2008 is a thing of the past now, it's time to focus on the new year and most of you probably started with some resolutions already. However, before we think about 2009, let's take a look back at the year that just passed and see how our poker careers went.

It was recently posted in our 2008 Community Successes Round-Up that our PokerStrategists had a pretty good year, with the top 10 winnings going over the $2 million mark.

What about the rest of you? How was 2008 for you in terms of poker? Did you win a lot of money from poker? Maybe you barely won something or ended up break even but you learned a lot? No matter what happened, tell us how your poker career went by voting in this week's poll!
  • 10 replies
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Pretty good till my 800 BB "downswing" (leaks !!) in December. :P
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I'm happy, found out about pokerstrategy in march and started playing online. Learned a LOT and made some money :)
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      My first year. Won around 10k$ total while playing seriously about 5/12 months. Played live, tournaments, sngs,fl, sss and bss(fr and sh).Watched every poker movie,show,read most of the good books.
      Pretty nice year.
    • Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      Quite happy. I started exactly on Jan 1 last year, and it's been wonderful thanks to pokerstrategy.com. :)

Sadly though, my bankroll got stuck at $7K last November... and never moved.... even until now :(
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Pretty good but I hate losing so I dont play much anymore until I get back to reading strat articles again.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Didn't play much till April. By that time I had a roll for NL25.
      Then played more and made good money, several thousand $, withdrawing constantly. Then August was my first losing month(with bonuses it was breakeven). September and October were good, but I lost everything won back then in November and December.

Anyway, the year as a whole was OK, I won and spent good amounts from poker but my plans to move up and up were blasted into pieces in the end of the year.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Just started with pokerstrategy last july, up to now the play has been good. Lots of room for improvement though. Looking forward to a much better year in 2009.
    • qwery1
      qwery1
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I am climbing up to limits on FL FR. I start with free $50 bankroll this year.

I feel I am pretty conservative, today I reached $207 (with $50 downswing) on $0.10/0.20 but I want go higher. I have bankroll for $0.25/0.50 but I want study and build a skill for flop, turn and river play, reading oponents and make some notes about their play.

PokerStrategy content, especialy video and hand judges, TerrorBlade's coachings, one Uni05mz private coaching and Opal99 example (come from same country but far 450km) helps me a lot.

Tnx to all.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Hi All

I started playing poker in May and joined Poker Strategy in August.

I play cash games on Titan with my $50 starting capital and have progressed through .01/.20 to .05/.10 and now have $85

I do MTT freerolls on Full Tilt and started with $0 and now have $125 with 3 wins.

I use Poker Stars on occasion and have made $53 there

My wife thinks I'm mad chasing these games and i get really excited when I win $2! I own houses on 3 continents yet I stick to Poker Strategy BRM using only starting capital.

Its the challenge not the money................(unless you pay for $K I guess)

New years resolution is to find enough time to get to Silver and to get my Elephant License
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      2008 - My first year in poker :-)

In july I first heart about something called "Poker" .. Played a few live games with friends and loved it .. First tries in online september, no knowledge, no BRM, just playing for fun with 20$, lasted for 2 weeks :-D ..

Later (october) started playing "seriously" on SH NL10 fullstack without much strategy or anything else, just played my best, earned about 2000$ in 2 months, which I considered unreal. Started watching High Stakes Poker , WSOP and so on :-) Did not have the balls to move to NL25 though, as I also study and run a business, so poker would take too much of my time and I did not think of poker as of "serious" income, so I withdraw the whole bankroll to my bank account.

In december I first discovered PokerStrategy, so I started something I call "experimenting months" with the 50$ starting capital .. Learning how to play SnGs and so .. Playing 3$ SnGs on Party with crazy 25% rakes (Party sucks at low limit SnGs) to make it 120$ when available to withdraw I moved it to FullTilt, a week ago withdrawn 500$ (playing 3,5$+0,3$ SupTurbo SNGs) so my income is slightly smaller but I find it very interesting to discover new games and poker rooms and a lot of new knowledge and this great community.

I will probably "settle down" in february (the experimental months end january 31th) and build up a bankroll once more for playing Fullstack SH CG again, as this is my most favourite game and I hope I will have the balls to move to NL25 this time :-) The other scenario is to play SnGs, but I dont think I can be that successful in them as in CG.

PS. Thanks PokerStrategy for all the vids, articles and creating a fantastic community.

Happy and successfull 2009 :-)