GRoDT - Things can only get better - A Novice's Journey :D

• Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      I signed up to the forum on Tuesday as had been dabbling with a bit of online poker :D
      Hello

Since that win I have decided to try the "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" challenge.
  • 24 replies
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 1 08/08/2016

Since that MTT payout I decided to take up the GRoDT challenge and thought it best to start a fresh on the Monday, so here goes.

Stats;
      Balance: £70
      Target: £1000

To do list;
      1. Get Hold'em manager working.
      2. Read more poker books and articles.
      3. Watch so coaching videos.
      4. Pick a preferred game mode.
      5. Play poker.

Reading
      Whilst reading I am taking notes with the aim of having a good guide that brings bits from all of them together.
      I have just finished "Daniel Negreanu Hold'em Wisdom for all players". It is the first poker book I have read and was only chosen as I liked watching him play. I don't think it is packed full of poker secrets, but for a very new player such as myself I found it really good. It was an easy read and the sections where very brief, making it a good commuting book. It covered at lot of different aspects for a newcomer to consider as well as pointing out some traps that a lot of people starting out might fall into.

Next on the list:
      Poker Hold'em Strategy Daniel Negreanu.
      Also on the list:
      Super Systems 1&2 by Doyle Brunson
      Essential Poker Math: Fundamental No Limit Hold'em Mathematics You Need To Know by Alton Hardin
      The Mental Game of Poker: Proven Strategies For Improving Tilt Control, Confidence, Motivation, Coping with Variance, and More by Jared Tendler

Any other suggestions welcome.

Holdem manager
      As for holdem manager still need to wrestle with it, and am going to try and get it working with a clean slate for this challenge. Hopefully it shouldn't be to difficult, but haven't really looked into it much.

Plan for the week
      I am going to continue to try out the different range of games on offer. It probably isn't the best way to improve my balance, however the challenge for me needs to be fun at the same time so what to find the type that I enjoy the most.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Catonthemat,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi Catonthemat!

Welcome to our challenge also from my side... Your post looks well structured, i like that!
      I can recommend 3 different ways to move into your game:

1. Play No Limit No limit Starter Course with LemOn36
      2. Play Jackpot-Sit and Go Spin&Goes - from Beginner to Winner - a course with Collin Moshman (for Twister, Spin&Go,...)
      3. Play Tournaments MTT Beginner Coaching: Discussion and feedback thread

GL at the tables, with whatever game type you may choose!
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Thank you, and thank you for the suggestions.

Day 3 10/08/2016

Stats;
      Balance: £88.30

Haven't played a great deal, and had to stop playing tournaments as came home tired and then lost to one pocket aces then another one 10 mins later in the next tournament. So really need to work on the mental side as that really annoyed me and could feel I would keep losing if I kept playing (The mental game book is on the reading list). So gave that up and had a quick dabble at the cash tables, going a lot higher then usual with the idea of just watching how things are different, but got some good cards and brought a little bit of money in :D

Cash Graph

Tournaments Graph

Reading
      Still reading through Poker Hold'em Strategy Daniel Negreanu. I can tell that it has been written by different people as it doesn't seem to read as well, however it what I have read has given so good (i think) pointers for beginners in tournament play.

Holdem manager
      I have managed to get it working (sort of). Still need to get in a position to understand what the HUB is on about, but have some time over the weekend so will do it then. But am liking using it to keep track of profit/loss of cash games and tournaments. Only slight problem came when it recorded a £0.45 buy in tournament as a £45 buy in and I suddenly had a panic that I had lost a lot more money :D

Apps
      I thought I would google some apps for my phone to see what poker trainer apps were about. I came across the poker strategy app. I am liking the concept, but in some occasions I am finding it even tighter than I usually play, and when I tried that tight previously people just got out the way as soon as I decided to play a hand as people knew it must be good. But then on other occasions I have wanted to fold and it wanted a raise. Will keep having a go over it and check the charts as well. Would be good if you could edit it for your own ideas, but then I guess you could learn bad habits :D

Any other apps people could suggest?

Plan for the week
      I am still going to continue to play a variety of games and pair that up with SvenBe's suggestions. However the lack of play this week has meant I haven't really been able to get a proper taste.
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 5 12/08/2016

Stats;
      Balance: £121.19

As I am on a long weekend from today to Sunday I thought would give a quick (ish) update prior to 3 days of play. Played a few more hands in the last 2 days, my tournament winnings are currently on a downward slope. But I have come 1st in a couple of sit n go, but did have a bit of a money sink trying to play spin and goes. I wasn't too keen on the style but will probably give it another go later on. Again the profit increase has come from cash games, and again from higher stakes then I probably should be playing (0.25/0.50), but it just feels a bit more like poker when I am playing there and I think the more significant amounts of money help me to focus (something I am going to try and change).

Cash Graph

For some reason the preview shows it as a picture but the post as a link

Tournaments Graph

Plan for the weekend
      I think for now I am going to avoid MTT my 77eur win was probably a fluke and they currently feel like money sinks, so I think I need to get my BR larger first. Am currently reading the sit n go article SvenBe posted, and am going to try out the beginner strategy for spin n goes. Going to do 30 $1 to start with (not at the same time :D ) and see what sort of results I get. I am also going to keep trying the normal sit n goes, and so far I am preferring 6 player over 9, but I think that might be from playing cash games at 6 player.

That's all for now and hope everyone has a profitable weekend. :f_cool:
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Quick update on the spin n go and other bits
      Am getting a little carried away with the blog, but I like keeping a record of what I am up to, also reminds me where I am going wrong :D

Spin n Go testing the basic strategy

As I am still trying to find the game mode I like best I thought I would take the spin and go basic strategy for a spin. (https://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sit-and-go/spin-n-go-beginner-strategy/1/) . In my last post I said I would do 30 x 1eur. I had a brief spike at the start with one of the wins being 4eur but after that it was very much 50/50

Graph of winnings for spin n go.

I don’t really like the basic strategy suggested. I guess that is why it is a beginner one, taking all the postflop decision away, however I found it was very much like gambling and I didn’t really feel like I was learning anything that would be helpful elsewhere. I don’t mind losing a bit of money if I feel it is teaching me stuff for the long run. I also felt that I was throwing away good hands by going all in straight away as normally no one would call and all I would win was the blinds, which is good when they have ramped up a bit but at the start I felt that I could have gotten more money from playing the hands. The only thing I will take away is more consideration for position due to having to change ranges each time.

I am going to continue reading the articles and hopefully keep improving and get my tournament graph heading in the right direction.

Learn to walk away
      So I have continued to play cash games at a much higher level than my BR can accommodate, and I finally got burnt. I knew/had a gut instinct, that I was beat by the flop and not much was likely to change it, but I just couldn’t walk away from it. I did a small bet on the flop just to see how the other player reacted, and they instantly raised it. Which confirmed my suspicions that they had me beat, and I had even guessed what it was with. But still I couldn’t walk away and kept putting money in, until we showed the cards and they had exactly what I thought. That has put a bit of a dent in my cash graph.

Thankfully on the plus side my table image was trash and people thought I was a calling station, my next hand was flush ace high (ace in my hand) and then after that my pocket pair flopped a set. But thanks to the hand I couldn’t get away from people where not only calling me but betting into me, so the cash graph recovered and improved :D

Cash graph
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 6 13/08/2016

Just a really quick update as there will be a bigger one tomorrow evening.

Stats
      Balance: £214

I have started to take more notice of the different stats available on holdem manager, and even though a lot of it doesn't mean much to me at the moment I do find it intriguing.

Tournaments
      I have also noticed that I seem to be losing a lot of money to tournament buy ins. I think it is part to do with a mental thing. In tournaments I wait around for a playable hand, but that hand itself can't make me profit, whereas when playing cash games when a playable hand comes round I can get profit right there and then. I am going to continue to try and get my tournament graph going in the right direction through 6 and 9 sit n go. Just need to keep my focus. The sharp drop at the end of the graph is me getting carried away with rebuys and addons... which I think I am going to avoid by sticking to STT.

Cash
      So I have continued to play in the 0.25/0.50 games, I don't know what it is but I find them far more profitable and enjoyable. However I am sure a lot of people will suggest that it is the wrong place to be with my bank roll (which I would probably agree with.) I am currently playing 2 tables (max if there is 2 available). I have now played over 700 hands at this level, with over 400 clocked today. It is staying positive trend, but I would like to iron it out a bit so I am not so heavily reliant on big wins to keep it going positive. (just because some of the big wins could have been big losses.)

Going to do a bigger post tomorrow. Next week I am hopefully going to start posting hands to get help on. So far my biggest loss hands I have reviewed and I know the mistake... I was a dick and should have walked away. Rather than doing that I either called or even raised for a bluff knowing I was beat. Just need to get some more discipline.
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 7 14/08/2016

So I have come to the end of my first week, so here is a complete wrap up and plans for the following week.

Stats

Starting balance: £70
      New balance: £229]
      Profit: £159

Profit consists of;
      Cash games: £182.56
      Tournaments: -£26
      VPPs cashed: £8.59
      (Seems to be a random £6 missing from somewhere)

Hands: 858
      Tournaments: 90

Weekly overview
      Cash
      Cash has been going well, as mentioned in previous blogs I have be focusing on 0.25/0.50 NL. I have had spikes in both directions but am continuing to move in a positive direction. I know it is probably the wrong amount for my balance (as I keep going on about). However I really feel like I play better poker there, and also that others aren’t throwing random money in because to them the micro stakes don’t mean anything. I am hoping to get more consistent within the cash bracket so that it isn’t as risky (still have a bit of a heart flutter with all in).
      I have reviewed my biggest losses and all have been dick moves rather than getting unlucky, so am going to try and cut that out. Also practice walking away from a top pair if I feel/know I am beat by a flush/straight+. Also to avoid getting fixated on flushes resulting in me missing that there is a 1 card straight on the table.

Cash graph

Tournaments: Spin n go, STT, MTT
      Well these all seem to be my biggest leak. I don’t know what it is but I just can’t seem to cash in them. I guess I just can’t play poker. I am finding things similar to the 0.02/0.04 cash games that I didn’t like playing against, which is people calling with absolute trash and then getting lucky, and not being able to see it as I wouldn’t put anyone on that hand. I know eventually playing right should beat getting lucky, but I don’t feel I am learning any poker getting beaten by trash hands.
      I also think I lose patience in them as mentioned in the last post, as there isn’t an instant reward for good hands/play. It also seems like a lot of time put in for not much reward (I know gotta walk before you can run). But the few 6 man sit n go’s I came 1st in made about a £4 profit but took 30mins+, compared to cash games that is nothing. I also struggle to multi table the sit n go’s properly so couldn’t increase that amount by playing more tables at once.
      A main problem with them is when I do place it is normally 2nd as my HU play isn’t very good, not sure why yet and am doing some more research on it, but I just never manage to finish them off.

Tournament graph

Plan for the week
      1. Iron out my cash graph so it is more consistent.
      2. Ignore tournaments (learn cash first).
      3. Read and learn.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Well done for the first week of the challenge - I wish my start back than would have been so quick instead of hovering around $50 for months.
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 8 15/08/2016

Stats

Week 1 balance: £229
      New balance: £348
      Profit: £119

So it has been a tremendous start to the week. It hasn't been a completely smooth play, I went back to my old ways (1 week ago :D ) and couldn't walk away from two awful hands because I had already put too much money in. However with some proper play managed to get it back and go into profit. Am going to stop for the day as brain is pretty frazzled as did full day of work as well. Let's hope the week continues like this. Averaged £75/hour :f_cool:

The big spike at the end was someone faking a straight against my two pair. I figured didn't have a straight due to strange betting during and then a massive over bet at the end acting like they had a straight. They had been caught out twice before doing in in the hour as well.
      https://i.imgur.com/Fp9ES1b.png

EDIT: Broke my no tournament rule on the first day. Wasn't a car crash but lost £4 over 3 tournaments. 1 MTT and only just missed cashing then 2 STT one all in on a set was beat and the other pretty much got ante'd out as wasn't getting any hands, stole a few blinds but not enough to stay alive :(
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Thought I would practice posting hands. I don't really need a comment on these two as they are the ones where I was just an idiot who wouldn't walk away, however they are my biggest losses for yesterday and other than these the next biggest lose was only about £5. So pretty confident if I can stop the stupid big bets on nothing then my profit will increase a lot quicker.

-28eur
      IPoker, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $34.65 (69.3 bb)
      BB: $66.25 (132.5 bb)
      UTG: $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $54.17 (108.3 bb)
      CO: $77.47 (154.9 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $28.54 (57.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9d Ah
      3 folds, Hero calls $0.50, SB folds, BB raises to $2, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.25) 3d 9h 7h (2 players)
      BB bets $2.97, Hero raises to $7, BB raises to $30, Hero calls $19.54 and is all-in
      This is where I should have just called, or got out of the way when he re-raised as I was only had my 9s and I felt that he might have over card pocket pairs or limped in with small pocket pair and hit a set. But I completely ignored this thought and just ploughed on.

Turn: ($57.33) Qd (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($57.33) 4s (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $57.33 pot ($2.86 rake)
      Final Board: 3d 9h 7h Qd 4s
      BB showed Qc Qh and won $54.47 ($25.93 net)
      Hero mucked 9d Ah and lost (-$28.54 net)

-24eur

IPoker, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $24.46 (48.9 bb)
      Hero (BB): $50 (100 bb)
      UTG: $72.34 (144.7 bb)
      MP: $47.25 (94.5 bb)
      CO: $50.20 (100.4 bb)
      BTN: $58.48 (117 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Kd 7d
      4 folds, SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1
      Maybe shouldn't have gone in, but am a bit of a sucker for suited cards with a picture card+. Also didn't want him just to steal my BB as people had been doing that on the table loads for the last 5 mins or so. (not just mine someone tried it for every blind, this stopped after someone put in a big re raise and the initial raiser folded

Flop: ($3) 7h Qd 9s (2 players)
      SB bets $2.10, Hero calls $2.10
      Probably should have gotten out here. I have bottom pair and he had raised pre-flop so guessed he had a picture card of some sort, but again just ploughed on

Turn: ($7.20) 8d (2 players)
      SB bets $6.50, Hero calls $6.50
      Again the 8 should have suggested he still had top pair, however now I had the issue of being one card of a flush, and wanted to pay for the river.

River: ($20.20) 4h (2 players)
      SB bets $14.36 and is all-in, Hero calls $14.36
      When I missed my draw and he went all in I should have just folded. It isn't like it is a random big river bluff. He has either been bluffing the whole way along or he has the best hand. If I had folded the loss wouldn't be so bad, and I think the money lost on the risk of a flush might have been worth it.

Results: $48.92 pot ($2.44 rake)
      Final Board: 7h Qd 9s 8d 4h
      SB showed Qs 9c and won $46.48 ($22.02 net)
      Hero mucked Kd 7d and lost (-$24.46 net)

I am starting to get a little worried that I am just in a very lucky swing and it is all going to come crashing down around me, fingers crossed it doesn't.
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Another terrible play. I thought a set might be out there, but I never gave him a chance to do anything, just kept betting into him. I should have folded on the river against all in for sure. Didn't even see the flush until reviewing the hand just saw that I had hit two pair. Need to take more time as I pretty much insta called the river all in. If I had walked away from the all in the hand would have been pretty bad but a lot better than it was.

IPoker, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $58.93 (117.9 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (MP): $55.29 (110.6 bb)
      CO: $68.10 (136.2 bb)
      BTN: $28.44 (56.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Jc Ks
      Hero calls $0.50, CO folds, BTN raises to $1.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.75) 2h 3h 3s (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, BTN calls $1.50

Turn: ($6.75) Js (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, BTN calls $3.50

River: ($13.75) Kh (2 players)
      Hero bets $13.75, BTN raises to $21.94 and is all-in, Hero calls $8.19

Results: $57.63 pot ($2.88 rake)
      Final Board: 2h 3h 3s Js Kh
      Hero mucked Jc Ks and lost (-$28.44 net)
      BTN showed 2s 2d and won $54.75 ($26.31 net)

• Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 10 17/08/2016

Stats

Week 1 balance: £229
      New balance: £264
      Profit: £26.50 + £8.50 VPP cash out.

So have pretty much thrown the winnings from Monday away. It has been a mixture of bad play and I feel unlucky, but probably just bad play. Since the good times on monday I haven't seemed to hit any cards, and when I did either no one made it to the flop or I ended up getting crushed by monsters. Also went through a long spell without getting a good set of hole cards, and started playing worse hands just to play. I should have just stopped really as I was trying to force play, also after a big loss went all in on a stupid set of cards and made things worse. Gonna take a break for today and maybe tomorrow. Just going to do some reading and more learning. My biggest problem still seems to be discipline. If I stuck with the cards I was happy to play with and trusted my thoughts/instincts about being beaten and just folded instead of calling/bluffing I would be a lot better off.

Cash graph

Also thinking of moving sites to get a bonus to help boost my BR. The only one I haven't signed up for is partypoker so as have just cashed out the VPP from betfair going to see about moving across and see what it is like.
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 11 18/08/2016

So I have managed to move across to partypoker for the deposit bonus. Also linked it to PS SP get some strategy points soon :D

Other than that same old same old, still can't seem to walk away from hands. I did have a little up swing whilst playing two tables, then both tables I ran into pocket aces losing pretty massive compared to the wins I had managed. I need to stop playing so all or nothing as so far I am mainly turning up nothing. Also need to learn not to try and bluff so much just because I have reached the river with absolutely nothing.

Anyone here is the messy graph which is a combination of the different sites. I have so far stayed away from tournaments, but as I can't seem to play cash games either don't know what to do :D

• Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 11 continued

So I thought a change of scenery might help get me out of the slump. After watching a few videos of people streaming, I fancied the look of the MTT with bounties. I registered for the $11 (didn't see it was so much). Then 4.5 hours later I had collected 7 bounties roughly £27 and placed 3rd for £131. Making a tidy profit of £158 :D

https://i.imgur.com/FtZtRO4.png

It was pretty slow going at the start compared to my usual 6man cash games. But after getting use to the 9man and the longer time to make decisions I really started to get into it and feel more relaxed playing. I also really enjoyed the bounty side of it, it did make me do a few more all ins then I would normally, but most of them paid off and then extra. This has really turned my tournament graph around.

Maybe MTT are the way to go? But I would guess I used a lot of luck this time. Will try another tomorrow and see how it goes, but must remember I am not bullet proof as much as I currently feel like I am :D
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Note to self don't play on tilt, bankroll lost 75% today down to £80 because of silly play then chasing the lose. Took the wind right out of my sails. Will just have to chalk it up to a learning experience....
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Day 14 21/08/2016

So the downward spiral continued. I think I would have preferred it if I has start bad an improved. I have done ok in 2nd bounty MTT where I came 10th or so for about $14 and had 6 bounties $30 roughly £30. However I got sucked into "making back my losses" mode and went for higher stakes MTT in the idea that I could top my balance right back up. As is probably always the case this didn't work.
      There were times when I felt I was playing decent poker, but then something would go wrong and I just go a big crazy. The most annoying part was getting beat by people who had trash hands yet continued to bet all the way through only to be me on the river. But I was always suffering from straight blindness a few of the times.

Hit the reset button
      So I have decided to hit the reset button and start from the bottom and work my way up rather than just diving straight into a place that my bank roll couldn't handle. I withdrew my initial £20 deposit as didn't fancy losing "real" money. This has left me with about $10 and 5 x $1.10 sit n go tickets. I am going to be playing NL2 cash games and any free/$0.01 MTT and any STT that I can use my tickets on and just play one table and focus on playing better poker and not worry about the money.

Learning and research
      Now that I have achieved gold I am going to access all the new content and really try and get the fundamentals right this time rather then just going by instinct like I had been. I am starting with W34z3l's 0 to crusher in 10 session for micro NL. Then I will see what else is available.

I am still reading "poker hold'em strategy Daniel Negreanu". It is a good read and I am finding it interesting. Currently not sure how much of it I can apply to my game at the moment but will shall see.

I also am going to start trying to use pot odds and implied odds more. I have read about them a few times and every time said that I am going to try and use them more often. I then just give up a bit and go back to just guessing.

Car crash
      And here are the two car crash graph showing my rise and fall. Hopefully my jumping into the big pool straight off will warning for others starting out. "If you can't be a good example, be a cautionary tale" :D

Tournament

Cash
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Well that hasn't really worked out, every MTT when I have gone all in due to short stack I ran into either AA or KK, (easily 7 tournaments today out of about 9). Then had a very similar experience in cash games, I would have people pretty well beat when watching the replays (like 90% at least on the turn) but people where still calling pot sized bets only to get lucky on the river. Just not sure how to get away from people following all the way through then winning on the river, starting to think poker isn't for me can't really handle the luck of others. At least when playing black jack I know I am going to lose and the dealer hasn't just gotten lucky :D
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      oh oh .... well, seems you do well in tacking your time off for Golfing now. what is the plan now? Grind it back?
      What kind of Bankroll management do you pursue - normally it should not go down thaaat quick.