limit hold-em FTW!

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      To start with my names James and im 19 years old wannabe poker pro :)

Been playing poker for almost 1 year, ranging from badugi-nlhe sh, in whch time I have made enough to stay a full-time student bum and to get some quaint essentials. (T.V. xbox 360, you know how it is..)

While this has been great and I have learnt alot from this experience, I think it is time to settle down with 1 variant of poker to specialize and hone my skills on so that I can make some serious cash. I'm starting my search for a suitable poker game for me with flhe and am going to be playing atleast 50k hands to make sure its the game type for me.

Ive cashed out rolls from various sites and have decided to play at fulltilt poker with my remaining $150.09 (lets call it a late new year's resolution.)

I have a little experience with flhe, posting sample hands for the last few weeks on the micro-stakes, to help make sure I have a solid ABC style to start grinding with.

Seeing as I dont plan on cashing out at all untill a much later date I will proabably have to get a part-time job (LAME.)

My BRM will be pretty much sticking with those in the ps articles with the goals of

1. Being a winning player
      2. Switching to FL shorthanded at the recommended time according to ps articles
      3. Continuous improvement of my game via the use of videos coachings and the sample hand-forum.
      4. To have the self control and discipline to play only fixed limit hold-em with the acception of freerolls and some community events.

I like the idea of Weekly updates of how im doing, each shall hopefully be occompanied with a profit graph and some interesting hands...

Starting Bankroll:
      $150.09
  • 42 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Nice one jmack... always good to see another come to out of the dark, to be bathed in the righteous sunshine that is fixed limit hold 'em... I've gotta stop popping tabs before replying to posts... sorry. :(

Sounds like you've got your head in the right space to start with... I'll look forward to watching your progress to the decent limits!

The very best of luck to you. :D
    • strat9
      strat9
      Bronze
      Sweet.

If I ever get a decent bankroll back at FT, I'll watch for you.

Good Luck.
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Nice to have another fixed limit blog around. :D

Good luck !! :)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Thanks for all the support you guys it's very nice too see.

I played a few short-sessions so far on fulltilt on my old laptop which is too slow to run both Elephant and fulltilt at the same time with just under $15 profit before realizing that my hand-history was'nt being saved...

Got that sorted now so should be ok from here-on.

Still getting used to the bronze-charts, which as a result means im only playing 2-tables at the moment, (is it me or does the bronze chart seem way too tight?)

Will update around next Thursday with Charts and interesting hands

Bankroll:
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Amirapuato
      Nice to have another fixed limit blog around. :D

Good luck !! :)
      You pay them right to make a blog :D ?
      Good to see that you have a blog James, long time no see :)

Good luck with your FL career, I foresee a bright future!

- Gerv
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Good luck James, following your blog with interest as always.

Bart
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Good luck dude! Don't forget about school tho. :)

And yes, the bronze charts are pretty tight, you can pretty much skip those imo
      But anyways, if you're just starting out with FL, don't play more than 2-3 tables until you get a solid understanding of how things work
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      So its been 1 week since I started the blog... time for a post.

Getting used to 25c/50c now the limit is pretty fishy, with even the regulars easily exploitable (most play very weaktight.)

Havnt played that many hands since im still only 1/2 tabling but im going to add another table to the count this week

Using a pokertracker trial at the moment but will switch to elephant probably when it runs out.

Only have 1 hand to post was very suprised on the result...

The table was swarming with fish with over 60% vpip more than double what you can normally find on fulltilt.

0.25/0.5 Limit Holdem
      8 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG FRANKMH ($18.35)
      UTG+1 Hero ($12.10)
      MP1 fanofbuckis ($3.05)
      MP2 mamabear78 ($10.55)
      CO zapzarap-berlin ($2.20)
      BTN jeonkw0530 ($3.75)
      SB rspoker333 ($11.20)
      BB BlueDevil08 ($13.05)

Pre-flop: (1.4 SB, 8 players) Hero is UTG+1 7:spade: 7:diamond:
      FRANKMH calls, Hero calls, 1 fold, mamabear78 calls, zapzarap-berlin raises, jeonkw0530 calls, rspoker333 calls, BlueDevil08 calls, FRANKMH calls, Hero calls, mamabear78 calls

Flop: 5:diamond: 9:diamond: 6:diamond: (14.0 SB, 7 players)
      rspoker333 checks, BlueDevil08 checks, FRANKMH bets, Hero calls, mamabear78 calls, zapzarap-berlin raises, 1 fold, rspoker333 folds, BlueDevil08 folds, FRANKMH calls, Hero calls, mamabear78 calls

Turn: 8:club: (11.0 BB, 4 players)
      FRANKMH checks, Hero bets, mamabear78 calls, zapzarap-berlin raises, FRANKMH folds, Hero calls, mamabear78 calls

River: T:diamond: (17.0 BB, 3 players)
      Hero checks, mamabear78 bets, zapzarap-berlin raises, Hero folds

Final Pot: 17.8 BB
      mamabear78 shows: T:club: J:club:
      zapzarap-berlin shows: 8:heart: 8:spade:

Nice hands...

Fixed limit seems to be treating me well so far, this next week I plan on getting to grips with the ideas concepts behind the silver articles (ive only read the basic and bronze ones so far :O )

Bankroll:
      $200.04
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Royal flush n0.4

0.25/0.5 Limit Holdem
      7 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG manu80c ($5.00)
      UTG+1 TWIDS ($8.18)
      MP jlhmac ($51.20)
      CO ABUELITOS ($6.20)
      BTN laugern1 ($27.30)
      SB RAMBO12345678 ($5.00)
      BB bohumil ($10.00)
      [manu80c posted 0.25]

Pre-flop: (2.4 SB, 7 players)
      manu80c checks, TWIDS raises, jlhmac 3-bets, 4 folds, manu80c calls, TWIDS 4-bets, jlhmac calls, manu80c calls

Flop: 5:heart: Q:spade: 3:spade: (15.4 SB, 3 players)
      manu80c checks, TWIDS bets, jlhmac raises, manu80c calls, TWIDS 3-bets, jlhmac calls, manu80c calls

Turn: T:spade: (12.7 BB, 3 players)
      manu80c checks, TWIDS bets, jlhmac raises, manu80c calls, TWIDS 3-bets, jlhmac 4-bets, manu80c calls, TWIDS calls

River: K:spade: (27.7 BB, 3 players)
      manu80c checks, TWIDS bets, jlhmac raises, manu80c calls, TWIDS 3-bets, jlhmac 4-bets, manu80c 5-bets, TWIDS calls

Final Pot: 32.0 BB
      TWIDS shows: A:club: Q:diamond:
      jlhmac shows: A:spade: J:spade:
      manu80c shows: T:diamond: 5:diamond:

jlhmac wins 32.0 BB ( won +20.5 BB )
      TWIDS lost 11.5 BB
      manu80c lost 10.0 BB

Had to be posted :) Got a great payout from the fishes too.

Another reason why table and seat selection are soo important
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Just replying so I "bookmark" this thread :D
      Good luck, nice to see more and more FL blogs :)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Seeing as my country is completly useless at dealing with snow, meaning I dont have college, I guess i've got time to make a blog post.

Played the first deposit freeroll for uk/ireland ended up in 5th place, with a 10k PP and 240 entrants this adds $500 to my bankroll :) (thanks goes out to soy for railing).

So its been less than 2 weeks and my br is more than 5x its original size now at $784...

What Now?

Well i've hardly played that much minbet poker so far, but been studying it quite abit, posted alot in the sample hand furoms and watched alot of videos.

Got a graph of almost all the winnings made so far minus the first few hands where $15 was made.

Bankroll:
      $784.05
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie
      Played the first deposit freeroll for uk/ireland ended up in 5th place, with a 10k PP and 240 entrants this adds $500 to my bankroll :) (thanks goes out to soy for railing).

So its been less than 2 weeks and my br is more than 5x its original size now at $784...
      WOW, nice !! :D

GL at 0.5/1 SH. :)

PS. You edited? ;)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      yh took alook at the sh stuff got alot to learn I think..
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Played some fl fr 1/2 not much but up bout 50 BB in a few hundred hands, also been playing hu sng's $11 turbo practically winning every1.

My computers pretty shit and cant handle a hud on my tables, so I think i might cash some money out to buy a new one, either that or continue hu sng's.

Love heaters

Bankroll:
      $1024.89
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Played some fl fr 1/2 not much but up bout 50 BB in a few hundred hands, also been playing hu sng's $11 turbo practically winning every1.

My computers pretty shit and cant handle a hud on my tables, so I think i might cash some money out to buy a new one, either that or continue hu sng's.

Love heaters

Bankroll:
      $1024.89
      Holy mother of God. Nice one J Mac!! :D

I would normally suggest moving to short handed at this point, probably at $.50/$1 just to get the hang of it, but at 50BB/100 its hard to leave the FR alone!

I'm playing at iPoker and find that the FR tables at $1/$2 are mostly pretty tight, but when you find a loose one it can be really good value.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      So I cashed out my freeroll winnings to pay for a new computer, ill make sure I post a picture when I get it :) .

With my remaining $500 im going to go to .5/1 fr for awhile untill I get new computer = hud and then i'll hopefully still have the roll to start playing shorthanded on .5/1.

Wish me luck :P

Bankroll:
      $512.39
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Great luck man! Look forward to seeing your progress shoot upwards.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Nice!
      The best thing about poker is withdrawing earnings and buying new shiny things with it. Then you can look back and say... Thank you fishes. :)

Edit: One more thing... I CAN'T play without HUD anymore. Don't know how I could live without it at start of my "career". :)
      I can't even play without it at 0.05/0.1$ FL SH :D It's really helpful tool, so I think you made a good decision with buying a new comp.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      So I cashed out my freeroll winnings to pay for a new computer, ill make sure I post a picture when I get it :) .

With my remaining $500 im going to go to .5/1 fr for awhile untill I get new computer = hud and then i'll hopefully still have the roll to start playing shorthanded on .5/1.

Wish me luck :P

Bankroll:
      $512.39
      Wow very nice. A new PC + 2,5 times the bankroll you started with. Talk about a nice start to the blog. I hope you succeed at establishing yourself at the FL tables :)