Salami's Blog - ...

• SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Edit: No more crazy bankroll thing anymore! But I've moved up to .5/1 again a little early with 400 BB's, that's crazy enough. :D I settled back into playing FL-SH as of the Feb. 26 Ohhhh Good Lord!!!! post. I'm going to use a standard BRM after I make it to $1/2. 500 BB's is just the right number - it's just enough to absorb a 250 BB downswing without forcing a player down a limit.
  • 169 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Good luck mate. :)

I would guess that you must be playing ok to get to $1/$2 so using a 250BB BRM shouldn't be the end of the world. It will only be pretty horrible variance that will hurt you.. so IMO your chances to get to $1/$2 should be pretty high!
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Kinda risky and I don't approve such a BRM!! :D , but good luck anyway :)
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Nice to see another FL blog rising, and GL!! :D
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes - I will need all of them!

First off, I think it's a good idea to post a graph showing my progress since the time I had decided to concentrate on shorthanded fixed limit. It is current as of yesterday before I started the tour of terror.

Day 1

First challenge of the day was choosing which tables to sit at. The avg players per flop looked to be around 60%. So I sorted according to pot size. Above average was $3 and up so I just took whatever was open. This was probably a mistake. All the tables I was playing on had a players per flop of over 55% when I had checked the stat mid-way through the session. This is very high considering the presence of myself usually lowers this stat to no more than 45% on the loosest of tables. The first 215 hands of this session were pretty bad, I figured it might be due to too many players in the pot, so I chose some new tables with an average of 50% players per flop with an average pot of at least $2. This is almost near the tightest tables at this limit but it seems to have been a good choice. I recovered 20BB's or so during the second half of my session, the first half had me down 34BB's.

Choosing tables at these limits is always tough. If anyone has some suggestions on how to better pick tables I'm all ears. :D

My stats for the day were 24.8/15.22/2.1/32.9 over 460 hands, not bad really. What is bad is the W$SD of only 47.7% and a W$wSF of only 30.6%, pretty ugly. Overall, these are the stats of a downswing. As long as I keep playing my standard game with a few adjustments made to account for my opponents at this particular limit at this particular site, Stars, I should be ok.

Day 1 was indeed terrifying. But my resolve is strong. I will survive! I will become the next online super-pro!!! But it will take time, of course...

A few other things. I'll update the blog a few times a week and plan on posting graphs on a weekly basis.

Cheers,

Salami
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Day 2

Alright, day 2 did not go so well. Pretty much the same shizzat as the first day. Playing 4-5 handed on a 6-max table, crazy aggressive fish with 60/4/2.8/50 stats, ready to gang up on me and suck me to death. Moving down limits is tough.

One thing about Stars is that you can post an image to represent yourself at the table. One interesting read that I've developed from this it that the crazy, random, retardo fish usually have a pic of themselves posted. They are typically young and they are male. The interesting thing is the angle of the pic. It's usually shot from a low angle, making it look like they are holding their chin up in pride, or maybe it is to give the impression that they are tall and strong. Either way, I think these guys are douchebags. :D

I have changed the title of the blog. It is now Salami's Tour of Terror - FL .10/.20 HU and Beyond. Yes, that's right, HU blizzatches. Why, you ask?

Well, I got tired of the FL-SH game at Stars today so I decided to take in a few turbo sng's. Of course you can't play 1 sng, so I played a set of three. I played alright, was near the bubble in all of them, but lost a coin flip with 33 from the SB, ran into KK with a AKs push from late position, and the other I just had to push to avoid being blinded out. Pretty standard stuff. Probably played a little to tight in the beginning but played the push/fold phase fairly standard. This left my bankroll at $130.45.

So, since I'm really not feeling interested in playing .25/.50 at Stars, I going to shake things up and move to FL-HU on iPoker since Stars only starts HU at 1/2 I think. I'm not too sure on bankroll requirements for playing FL-HU, but I have 650 BB's for .10/.20.

I'm not sure how long this new experiment will last, kinda crummy that I wasn't feeling movitated enough to keep at the .25/.50 at Stars, but ahhh well. Maybe this new challenge will prove to be more exciting.

And one more thing I forgot to mention... I only have to deal with one donkey at a time!

Cheers,

Salami
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Alright I've changed the name of the blog to "Salami's Tour of Terror" and removed the reference to any particular game.

I've been getting bored lately and I've cashed-out quite a bit, and moving down a limit on my regular game was more frustrating than I thought it would be. I played 140 or so of heads-up and it was fun but the only thing is the rake. I calculated it to be 7.5bb over the small number of hands I played, obviously way too high. I could be a pretty good player and still lose over time. So, I decided that it probably wasn't worth it.

So, new plan. I'm going to move around to a few games and learn some new skills. 7 card stud at Stars looks like a good bet. There's plenty of tables at the .04/.08 limit and it's 9am east coast time so there should be plenty of games come US prime time hours. I hear some good things about Badugi, too! So, for now, it's going to be the Tour of Terror in general. :D

Cheers,

Salami

*Hehe, I knew starting a blog would help me focus!
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I think heading my blog with a game of the day update will help with everyone keeping track of what I'm currently doing before opening up the blog, so, yeah.

Stud Hi - Day 1

I'm going to stick with stud hi for a while. I have a copy of Bruson's supersystem which has a chapter on stud so I'll read through that asap. I played maybe an 1 1/2 hours of it today with not much more than a basic knowledge of starting hands and of course keeping track of the up cards from the start, of course. I've played enough razz to hold my own in that game so I'm not completely lost, but close to it.

Going too far in a hand with a weak holding, hoping to catch trips or a backdoor or something crazy like that is a big leak. I definitely need to find some info on what the probability of improving a hand like gutshot to the nut straight on 4th street is and whether I should continue in that spot. It looks pretty but I'm not too sure about it in multi-way situations. Discounting outs is simple enough and comparing outs to odds is simple enough, but some more knowledge on how to work with the implied odds is a knowledge gap I need to fill asap.

I lost a huge pot to a well disguised full house (opponent was "rolled-up") when I had a made straight and a flush draw on 6th. Ahhh well, the opponent played the hand well. Both the straight and flush draw looked good to win, but opponent re-raised on 6th when his board paired and was playing the hand strong from the beginning so I just called down at that point.

For the day, I am down $2.66, or 33 BB's - ouch. Ahh well, it was the first day playing this game. Any good tips on strategy for will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Salami
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Mmmmm yes! I played a second session that had me down even more than 33 BB's, not sure but it put me down at least another 30-40 BB's, making it 70 BB's down?, but I played another two sessions and I'm down 20 BB's for the day. I was down $5 or so at one point and now I'm down just $1.20, I think I can count today as a success after a nice $4 run playing .04/.08 stud tables.

Two-tabling got me playing tighter and more willing to fold those weak, weak draws early on. The only serious mistake was not folding my 2-pair of KK xx when I was heads-up against an opponent with AA showing on 6th - villian was playing it really weak, though, and villian caught a 2 pair on the river. Small pot and almost no potential to improve, so I think a fold would have been best - at least my read was good. :D

I'm addicted to stud hi now! Damn, I better get some school-work done and get some sleep.

Cheers,

Salami
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Day 2 - Stud Hi

I'm slowly catching on to the finer points of this variant of poker. Things like tossing away that 89J two-suited hand when you see a 10 up and a couple cards of the suit you need are up is becoming more obvious. I've come back from a 70 BB or so deficit (I'm keeping better track of my stats now) and I'm actually up 20 BB's so far. I'm going to stick to the .04/.08 limit for a little while longer. I'll try out the .10/.20 tables as soon as my game shows some more consistency and I get done reading more strategy.

I have no way to keep track of more stats at the moment except for the email stats request at Stars. My vpip according to that is over 40%, but I've been keeping track the last few sessions and it is moving down quickly. Last session it was 24% over 80 hands so I'm on the right track.

Stud Hi
      Hands Played: 541
      Amount Won: $1.58
      BB/100: 3.65
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Day 4 - Stud Hi

Ouch. Last two days I've been in a downswing. I've had the odds for the draws I've been chasing in these big pots but damn, I've missed a bunch. I think it's pretty easy to go down a lot after missing a couple of these monster pots. I've made some nice reads and lost on the river card racing to two-pair when I have the higher pair going to the river. Ahhh well, it happens, and sometimes in bunches. Overall, my bankroll is moving sideways, so I'm holding my own at this new game which is all I'm looking for at the moment.

I downloaded the trial of Pokertracker Stud edition and is of marginal use so far. Can't even figure out how to make a standard bankroll graph yet. I used the auto-rate feature and so far I'm loose-aggressive-passive -- I'm going to try to get to tight-aggressive-aggressive over the next 1000 hands. But how tight is right when the vpip on these tables is 60%+, I just don't know. I'm aiming for under 30% for now.

Hands Played: 1107
      Amount Won: -$1.48
      BB/100: -1.67

Pokerstars VPP: Zero!!! :D
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      My last few hours of play has been playing heads-up sng's. I've been 1 for 6 in no-limit and 3 for 3 playing the limit one's. I bit of bad luck on the NL ones but, damn, I should have been outplaying those guys. The limit sng's are pretty tough. A couple mistakes can cost big time, a bad run of cards is devastating. I ran into an over-aggressive player at the last limit sng but I couldn't defend because I had nothing and villain was just over-playing everything and got lucky a few times, leaving me with 300 chips - but I got 'em in the end, mmmmmm, sweet victory. :D

Took a shot at some Omaha too but that did not go well. X( I just stink at omaha! I'll save that game for when I get a handle on stud. After that I'll try the high-low games and take in a few games of HORSE.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Arrrgghhh... I lost two of those FL heads up sng's and I'm all tilty and shit. Played a couple hundred hands of FL .25/.50 did well at the start then a mini-downswing had me -$1 or so after the session.

I'm just too damn tilty lately. It's tough being a good player - losing to bad beats and not from being outplayed. I have these guys most of the time and they manage to get a lucky card (or two for a backdoor blah, blah, blah). Looking back at the past week or two, I'm pretty sure I did the right thing in switching games for a bit, not playing above the roll, etc so that's something positive at least.

I'm a good player, but yeah, playing without the right mindset is just no good. So, I'm taking a little break. Don't know how long, probably not long at all, like a day or two, but I'm aiming for a week. :P Rest up and come back to terrorize the tables another day.

Cheers,

Salami
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I'm still taking a break till next week, but that doesn't mean I can't play play-money heads-up FL at Stars. I'm trucking along in a nice upswing at a 14 BB/100 pace. No rake. :D

It's been interesting experiencing the insane swings in bad luck. A few times I lost my 25BB+ stack and there absolutely nothing I could do about it, at other times I was on the up. This experience should help me later on when I'm back at my regular real money game. When those swings of bad luck happen I'll be able to recognize it better and just accept it as part of the game. That last statement is something I already know about poker but like many things it's a lot easier on paper than it is actually doing it.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Yeah, it's play money HU-FL, but I thought 14BB/100 was pretty good, now things are getting ridiculous! I just have to post the graph because it's just plain sick, 65BB/100 over the last 575 hands against 12 different opponents. I think I've broken some bad habits during this week, that's why the graph changes quite a bit half-way through. When I get back to the real money tables (6-max) once I have time for it sometime this week, I will see for sure if this play money stuff has been an effective tool for improving my game by allowing me lot's of freedom to experiment without running the risk of it taking a big chunk out of my bankroll.

If only it was real. :D
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Ohhhh good lord!!!

Went back to the .25/.50 FL-SH tables at Stars and things picked up right where they left off with a -46BB downswing in 299 hands. I knew I was in a downswing before my break but I never calculated how much. It works out to be approx. -220BB's over 2.2k hands, which works out to be a nice round figure of -10BB/100. The swing is bigger than what I experienced at Full Tilt (195BB's), but at Tilt I was losing at much higher rate which was -14BB/100.

I still have 253BB's in my roll for .25/.50FL so I'm in ok shape. If things continue to be ugly at this limit I might try out some full ring, which is something I haven't tried yet playing FL. Or I could check out those FL-HU sng's again, not sure.

As I said in my first blog post, I'm not interested in playing a limit under .25/.50 - the players at .25/.50 are just random and ridiculous as it is. Sometime in the future I plan on putting the money I "borrowed" from my roll back into it. But until then I have to figure out a way to manage what I have in a way that keeps me playing and happy playing, i.e. not moving down to the basement limits and beyond if this crummy downswing continues. :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Uh. 220BB is pretty much. I never had such a big downswing...
      But I guess FR can be more swingy as SH so... How about getting BR for 0.25/0.5 SH? I think it could be easier. More fishes there, because they love action.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I am playing shorthanded. I was thinking of trying out full ring since I never played it fixed limit.

Well at least I handled the bad beats today better than I was. Just a case of not hitting draws or getting outdrawn when holding what was the best hand. It happens, sometimes in bunches. 5-10 shitty sessions like that and there's your 200BB downswing. I blame the schooling fish for it. I blame Stars for being rigged just like Full Tilt! Arrraaaagghhh! Ok, maybe I didn't handle it that well. :P
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Ok a nice little upswing of 105BB over 466 hands, 22.5BB/100. Might as well post a BB graph to put the last (hopefully it's over) downswing in perspective.

I'm still shooting for 1k with a fairly loose bankroll management. But 250 BB's might not be enough considering the last downswing. Apparently I'm not even immune to the -200BB stuff. :P I'm thinking maybe 300BB is a good number but I'm flexible on that.

Cheers,

Salami
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Hehe! Nice session today.

I played a break even session last night, a Friday night. I swear half the players were drunk! I always thought the all the fish come out to play on the weekends was a bit of a myth - not at Stars apparently! Friday to Sunday night I'll be better prepared for the LAGfish from now on.

Anyways, here's the sweet graph from my last one hour, 2-table session. As you can see I managed to get the best of a few monster LAGfish a couple times - and a couple times is all you need baby! I would have stayed longer but the tables are too crazy right now. I'll head back later when I'm prepared to wade into dangerous waters once again.

** Note that it's 78BB's in 175 hands. :D