This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

AA vs. junk

• KaniSama
      KaniSama
      Bronze
      How do I play Aces against junk on the flop?

Let's say I got aces in SB, I raise and someone in LP calls me.

The flop comes 8 2 3 broadway, I c-bet and the caller reraises me.

What am I supposed to do? Reraise, call, fold?

And what about if he's a midstack, like he got only 35BB left?

Thanks
  • 6 replies
    • pumpkinx
      pumpkinx
      Bronze
      he could call preflop with all small to medium pocket pair and suited connectors.

Or he just might not belive u have hit anything on the flop.

54, 87, 98, 22-TT is my guess he would continue with, maybe even raise if he dont belive u.

if his range is something like this u are a big favorit to win.
    • KaniSama
      KaniSama
      Bronze
      Ok! I see that but what do I do?

Reraise and fold if he goes all-in or call and see if he bets big on turn?
    • jp2570
      jp2570
      Bronze
      To be fair I would play it entirely on the reads you have on him. Its hard to give an exact answer with out a bit more information but it seems to me that calling the raise pre-flop and then re-raising post flop looks as if he is trying to be aggressive and take down the pot with an over pair. I would possibly take 2 options:

1)It is a nothing flop and he is keen to get his chips in and you are more than likely to have the best hand so you could shove all-in.

2)Or, a more risky option if you know how he plays and have a good read, is to possibly call the re-raise to let him bet into you on the turn and river.

Do you agree?
      What was the outcome?

jp2570
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      If he's very tight and cautious you might be beat but in the vast majority of cases someone with a small stack is pretty bad and I would call his flop raise and lead turn/shove. It depends on limit too though.

You cant play scared against a shortstack thinking he has a set all the time because his chance of hitting it is very low. Against a small stack its very easy to get it in on the turn.

If you see him calling pf with trash, you can raise a bit more pf.
    • KaniSama
      KaniSama
      Bronze
      At the moment I'm losing money in these situations, but it could be due to a downswing.

But I don't think that I could put away Aces against a small stack in this situation, should I?

Recently I'm often faced with a set or two pair in this particular spot.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Depends on Villain. Against a mid stack I am getting it in however. I do call the raise and c/shove the turn. Against a tag it really depends. I suggest tp post hands with those situations. It's always easier to see the exact situation.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar