Bu11d0g's SSS Adventure: NL25+

• TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze

Personal History

Some of you may already know me from my Good 'ol England thread but for those of you i have yet to meet my name is Steve and im 37 years young :P . I was originally born in the East End of London but now i live in Leicester. Prior to finding PokerStrategy i had played poker recreationally for a couple of years but i didn't really know much about strategy or bankroll management. I played SNG's and freerolls back then and i used to deposit $50 or so, make a small profit but then eventually lose it all and then re-deposit. And so began a vicious circle that carried on until i found PokerStrategy whilst browing the internet one day. When i joined PS in August 2008 i received my $50 starting capital on PokerStars and played SSS on NL10, but before i really gave it any time to work i got very bored with it (which is one of the problems i am working on) and moved to BSS FR and then SH before drawing my whole bankroll out due to difficult circumstances around December 2008. I then started up again in February of this year with the 2nd free starting capital that PokerStrategy kindly provided at Mansion with the aim of giving SSS a proper go the second time around

Introduction to my Blog

This blog will follow my journey (good or bad!) playing SSS from NL20 to at least NL100 and hopefully beyond. I am writing the blog mainly for my own use in order to use as a motivational tool when the times get tough and also as a diary of my poker journey from NL20 upwards, although it would be great if at least one other person would be able to take something from it as i have from reading other peoples blogs myself.
      At this moment in time i am not really concerned about how much money i can make but learning all that i can about playing good, solid poker; employing good bankroll management and moving up the limits safely.

Goals

Short Term

~ Move up to Silver Status **Completed**
      ~ Study and understand Table Selection & Stats, Steals & ReSteals, Equity & Odds/Outs and Poker Math
      ~ Move up to NL50
      ~ Move up to Gold Status

Long Term

~ Move up to NL100
      ~ Learn, understand and implement Advanced SSS
      ~ Become an proficient player at NL100
      ~ Study the basics of NL BSS SH
      ~ Help give something back to the PokerStrategy community that has helped so much already

SSS Lifetime Graph *Updated 31/03/2008*

SSS Lifetime Stats *Updated 30/03/71*

Hands - 15,739
      VPIP - 5.9
      PFR - 5.7
      ATS - 16.5
      SB fold to Steal - 96.1
      BB fold to Steal - 93.7
      3Bet - 3.3
      AF - 4.65
      WTSD - 49.0
      W$SD - 49.0
      bb/100 - -$4.04

If you have made it this far then i thank you whole heartedly for staying with me till the end. And if you ended up falling asleep then BOO - its time to wake up :D

Please feel free to leave your comments and ideas you have for the thread via this thread, the community board or on skype using stephen.smith711

All the best,

-Steve
  • 148 replies
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Good luck, hope things go well for u n keep us updated :)
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      I fell asleep. No im only kidding. Good to see another English blog around here :P . You surprised me when i saw Bu11d0g's blog. I was thinking how long has this been running?!?!
      Oh and i didnt know u were born in east London. So am i! Born in Hackney. Where abouts were u born?

Anyway good start to the blog, make sure u keep it going like this. There are not many SSS blogs going.

So i wish you good luck and happy grinding.

-Kingdippy
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      @ p0kerQT

Thank you for the good wishes. Good luck on your journey too.

@ kingdippy2008

I was born in Islington but spent alot of time in Hackney, Dalston, and the Shorditch areas (mainly getting into trouble though :rolleyes: )
    • h0lland
      h0lland
      Global
      Good Luck!
      All the best, Игорь!
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      I actually moved up to NL20 a few days ago so i thought i would post a graph of my current progress so far.

Mansion Poker
      Session Time: 8hrs 17mins
      Hands Played: 1585 hands
      Limit: NL20
      Tables: 6-8
      Profit/Loss: +$26.42
      MCPs: 1285/6500
      Bankroll: NL20
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      Anyway good start to the blog, make sure u keep it going like this. There are not many SSS blogs going.

That is why I asked him to make one and he made one oh-my!

I'm a permanent follower of this Blog to wherever you go , congrats Steve!

Cheers,
      Gerv
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      That is why I asked him to make one and he made one oh-my!
      Ye shall ask and i shall obey o great SSS one :D

Seriously though thank you very much Gerv for the good luck message. Your blog has been an inspiration to me and hopefully in the long term then mine will be to someone else too.

Regards,

-Steve
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Going back to school

Yes folks thats right, i am going back to school.

I have decided that from now on Sundays will become my learning and evaluating day in order to asses how i played during the weak and to find out where i need to improve and try to find any leaks i may have.

My study time will consist of:

~ Reviewing my hand histories to make sure they were played correctly and to find any leaks.

~ Read any new articles in the Strategy section that will improve me as a player and re-read any old articles to back up my existing knowlege.

~ Watch any new videos that will improve my learning and watch some old videos to refresh my existing knowledge.

~ Post any hands that i am not sure off and to help evaluate other peoples hands.

I'm now off to class as the class has just started :D

Good luck to you all,

-Steve
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      I shoulda know Gerv had something to do with this!!!!

Congrats on making it Silver Steve!! See you at Max's coaching later then, i might try and learn something but no guarantees!!
      Oh and sorry if made you late for class!
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      [SIZE=20][CENTER]Don't take it personal - its just one of them days[/CENTER][/SIZE]

Sometimes when you look back on your session and you have had some bad beats you just need to think to yourself - DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL, ITS JUST ONE OF THEM DAYS.

The reason i wrote the above and titled this entry the way i did is i ended up playing a 90 minute session after all as i wanted to keep on top of the points gathering i need to do at Mansion.

Unfortunately the majority of my monster hands ended up being all-in preflop against bigger monster hands and i came out the losing end. I had JJ v AA/JJ v KK, QQ vs AK (AK on flop)/AK vs JQ (Q on flop). I have included a example below.

Mansion Poker, $0.10/$0.20 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
      Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

SB: $30.14 (150.7 bb)
      Hero (BB): $4 (20 bb)
      UTG+1: $3.50 (17.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $3.50 (17.5 bb)
      MP1: $21.61 (108.1 bb)
      MP2: $7.55 (37.8 bb)
      MP3: $34.27 (171.4 bb)
      CO: $10.06 (50.3 bb)
      BTN: $19.91 (99.6 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BB with J:club: J:heart:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.20, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.80, 4 folds, Hero raises to $4 and is all-in, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls $3.20

Flop: ($8.30) A:club: 8:diamond: 4:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($8.30) Q:heart: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($8.30) 6:club: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $8.30 pot ($0.41 rake)
      MP2 showed A:diamond: A:spade: (three of a kind, Aces) and won $7.89 ($3.89 net)

Mind you i did manage to have a nice suckout myself so i can't complain too much i suppose :D

Mansion Poker, $0.10/$0.20 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 10 Players
      Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

BB: $17.95 (89.8 bb)
      UTG: $3.60 (18 bb)
      UTG+1: $8.41 (42.1 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $3.40 (17 bb)
      MP1: $3.70 (18.5 bb)
      MP2: $10.08 (50.4 bb)
      MP3: $2.48 (12.4 bb)
      CO: $19.10 (95.5 bb)
      BTN: $11.80 (59 bb)
      SB: $6.55 (32.8 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is UTG+2 with K:heart: K:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 6 folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.70) 9:spade: 2:diamond: K:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.85, BB raises to $1.70, Hero raises to $2.60 and is all-in, BB calls $0.90

Turn: ($6.90) J:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($6.90) J:club: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $6.90 pot ($0.34 rake)
      BB showed 9:heart: 9:club: (a full house, Nines full of Jacks) and lost (-$3.40 net)

So overall i felt that i played every hand the best that i could have and even though i ended up just over 3 BIs down i was still very pleased with the way i played those losing hands and i know in the long run they will prove to be +EV. So just remember - don't take it personal :D

Mansion Poker
      Session Time: 1hrs 45mins
      Hands Played: 463 hands
      Tables: 6
      Profit/Loss: -$13.55
      Extra: $10 released from bonus
      MCPs: 1433/6500
      Playing skill during session (0+Disastrous, 10=Perfect): 7
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      I was browsing through the web for some new music to add to my playlist and i came accross some poker songs on youtube and during watching one of these i was pissing myself with laughter.

I think this could be the perfect answer to a bad beat. Just stop playing for 5 minutes, watch this video and you'll be laughing so much you'll just forget about the bad beat :D

But now back to the serious matter of yesterdays poker session.

Here's a graph of yesterday's session for you to look at:

As you can see it was a bit of a rollercoaster ride but i only lost 2 major hands throughtout the session which was AKs vs KJ when villian hit the J on the flop and the other one was a JJ push preflop and villian calls with A4s, but i still managed to end the session just above break even.

Every now and then i will try to include a hand which may be a dubious play by the villian, so people please be upstanding and give a warm welcome to the premiere of the Here comes the Donk moment.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy hand converter:

Known players:

BU:
      $3.51
      SB:
      $29.03
      BB:
      $7.89
      UTG1:
      $9.40
      UTG2:
      $22.71
      MP1:
      $11.39
      MP2:
      $3.40
      MP3:
      $3.30
      CO:
      $3.39

$0.1/$0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, J.

4 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (17.00 SB) 5, 3, 4 (2 players)

BB bets $1.20, Hero raises to $2.50(All-In), BB calls.

Turn: (33.50 BB) 9 (2 players)

River: (33.50 BB) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: 33.50 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks (J J)

BB shows a straight, five high (A 4)

BB wins with a straight, five high (A 4).

I suppose its not a proper donk moment in the sense that he did have a 1 outta to the straight i guess, but it still left me muttering a few expletives after the outta turned up on the river. Now who ould have guessed that happening :D ..
      Overall i was very happy with the way i played so that is the only thing that matters to me right now. As long as i can walk away from the session being happy with the way i played even after losing some bucks then it just means that all the extra learning is paying off.

Mansion Poker
      Session Time: 1hrs 52mins
      Hands Played: 485 hands
      Tables: 6-8
      Profit/Loss: +$0.52
      MCPs: 1675/6500
      Playing skill during session (0+Disastrous, 10=Perfect): 8

Thanks for reading,

-Steve
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hi ya to all my readers (if there are any :D ),

When i first moved up to NL20 i was going to start expanding the Basic SSS that i was using on NL10 to include Stats, Steals, Odds/Outs etc but with Mansion deciding that anyone who opened their account prior to the 15th February for the new $50 + $100 bonus would only have 2 months to clear the 6500 MCPs needed to clear the bonus compared to those who would have 6 months if they opened an account after the 15th, i have calculated that i will need to grind on like 8 tables for a few hours every night in order to get the required MCPs i will carry on using the Basic SSS until this is accomplished.

Once i have completed the bonus then i will withdraw my money from Mansion and look for another site to carry on with the SSS journey (possibly PokerStars or PartyPoker) where i will incorporate the various changes over a period of time without having to worry about clearing a time-dependant bonus.

Right now back to the poker update.

I played 2.5hr session as i felt really good whilst playing and didn't feel tired towards the end at all.

So as is compulsory, here is the graph for that session.

As you can see i was keeping my head above water for pretty much most of the session but i had 2 all-ins at the end that didn't go my way. One of them was JJ vs villians ATo which i was 72% favourite pre-flop but he hits the A on the flop to suck out on me.

The other hand i have included below as although it was going to be my 'Here Comes The Donk' moment i realized i ended being the donk as i completely misplayed it on the flop.

Mansion Poker, $0.10/$0.20 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

BB: $3.10 (15.5 bb)
      UTG+1: $2.20 (11 bb)
      UTG+2: $23.07 (115.4 bb)
      MP1: $8.22 (41.1 bb)
      MP2: $3.70 (18.5 bb)
      MP3: $20.71 (103.6 bb)
      CO: $5.98 (29.9 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $3.60 (18 bb)
      SB: $5.50 (27.5 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with T:heart: T:diamond:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.20, MP1 calls $0.20, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.20, 3 folds, MP1 calls $1

Flop: ($2.90) A:club: T:spade: 9:club: (2 players) MP1 checks, Hero bets $1.45, MP1 calls $1.45

Turn: ($5.80) 7:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.95, MP1 calls $0.95

River: ($7.70) 5:diamond: (2 players)

Results: $7.70 pot ($0.38 rake)
      MP1 showed J:club: 8:club: (a straight, Seven to Jack) and won $7.32 ($3.72 net)

I made a mistake on the flop by only betting 1/2 pot instead of 3/4 pot. If i had the correct 3/4 pot bet then this would have been more than 50% of my stack so i really should have pushed all-in on the flop. Whether this would have moved him off his straight draw is another matter.

I can only worry about playing my own hand correctly and in this instance i played it badly and it cost me.

Mansion Poker
      Session Time: 2hrs 22mins
      Hands Played: 857 hands
      Tables: 8
      Profit/Loss: -$8.43
      Extra: $10 released from bonus
      MCPs: 1963/6500
      Playing skill during session (0+Disastrous, 10=Perfect): 7

Best of luck to you,

-Steve
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Of course there are readers!!!
      I know what you mean about the bonus on Mansion. I have only two months as well. Shouldnt have rushed into it :( . But the MCP's is ridiculus. I was 12 tabling SSS on there and getting like 100 MCPs and hour but loosing like 2 stacks an hour because i didnt really focus and 12 tables isnt really good.
      But moving sites is a good idea.
      I have expeireince of both SSS'in. I would say there is not much between them really. Stars has a lot of tables to choose from tho which is a plus and it is quite fishy at times.
      Party has less tables and probably a few less donks but overall a good site. If you have a linked account you gain a shed load of SP's from party because there party points are so easy to select.
      I would want you at party tho and then we can have NL2 donk matches!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
      -Kingdippy
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey Jack,

Thanks for all your advice as its much appreciated.

I'm currently playing 8 tables at once and getting and getting about 110 MCPs an hour but it just seems to take the piss abit when the likes of you and me only get 2 months but if we'd had waited a day we could've had 6 months C'est la vie i guess :D

I have linked accounts at both Party and Stars so it doesn't matter as far as Strategy points go although, like you say, you get a shed load more at Party and i would get a 100% deposit bonus. As for a donk match on NL2, it sounds like it could be a hoot. Shame they don't do HU that low :D

All the best mate and good luck with your SH'ing.

Regards,

-Steve
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      ah, well on mansion they do! So it's on!!! This is bigger than Durrrr vs. Antonius!!! I will get skype soon and we will arrange it.
      Oh and it does take the piss, espicially when they take days to release $10 bonus. Anyway 2000 Mcp is the point where the bonus is our so I won't try and get anymore. It's my back up roll now!

-Kingdippy
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      I managed to hit the 2000 MCPs today so at least the $50 dollars is mine. I worked out how many points i need a day to complete the 6500 and it seems achievable in a few hours a day, so i will probably grind it till the end of march as i need 5000 MCPs to withdraw anyway and then bonus whore the deposit bonus on Party and then move the whole roll to Stars.

As soon as ya get Skype sorted just let me know mate.

Regards,
      -Steve
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBu11d0g
      I made a mistake on the flop by only betting 1/2 pot instead of 3/4 pot. If i had the correct 3/4 pot bet then this would have been more than 50% of my stack so i really should have pushed all-in on the flop. Whether this would have moved him off his straight draw is another matter.
      Hi, you are right that you should push the flop, but you couldn't make him fold his hand - he has open ended straight draw and a flush draw which gives him 15 outs. He is actually ahead of top pairs hands like AK. Against your set he is 40/60 underdog, but he cannot really put you on a set only and even if he would, he still has good enough pot odds to call.

Good luck with your games at Mansion. I think you might need it because I found it kinda hard to play SSS there.
      I tried it myself with the 2nd starting capital and the low limits (NL10 and NL20 pretty much too) seemed full of weak players who call even all-in preflop with any Ace and any pair (you have a hand like this here, too) but on the other hand when you raise and conti-bet all-in (like in this case where your stack is low enough for that) with AK a few times and the guy calls you down with his pocket fours, it's kinda frustrating. :-)
      But the biggest problem seem to be the other shortstackers. There are just SO many of them. Most of them aren't really good but tables with 7 shortackers are just hardly profitable in my eyes and I'm unable to find decent tables there.

Good luck once more!
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey Meiffert,

Thank you for your evaluation of that hand. Your opinion means alot to me as a more experienced SSSer. Like you say i doubt i would have pushed him off the hand as he had some many outs available.

As for Mansion, i totally agree with you. There are so many on the waiting lists and so many more shortstacks on the table that it seems almost impossible to make any serious progress on there. They just seem to call with anything and more than likely that will end up winning with crap. I am only just above breakeven (+1 BI) after nearly 4.5k hands.

Thank you for the good luck message, i may just need it on Mansion :D

Regards,
      -Steve
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hey Steve,

Interested to read you are an old Islingtonian. My old stomping ground too. Have since moved to SW, but used to live nr Old St and loved it in Shoreditch.

Anyway, all the best mate.

Tim