This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] [QQ] pre-flop 4bet all-in - pdhbq

• sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Silver
      $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
      UTG r0y4lf1us4 ($3.25) 163bb
      UTG+1 zenitik ($2) 100bb
      CO Kaktus7771 ($1.64) 82bb
      BTN Hero ($2.09) 105bb
      SB ch3ckmyd3ck ($2.13) 107bb
      BB pdfbq ($3.73) 187bb

Pre-Flop: (0.03, 6 players) Hero is BTN :Qs: :Qh:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.05, 1 fold, pdfbq raises to $0.20, Hero goes all-in $2.09, pdfbq folds

Final Pot: $2.30

Hero wins $2.30 (net +$0.21)

pdfbq lost $0.20

Background
      During my micro 6max grind, a player from Pokerstrategy and pokerstars (pdhbq) said I played this hand poorly. I'd like to explain my thought process... but perhaps I have a big leak in my gameplay?

pre-flop
      When facing a 3-bet, with QQ and AKo i generally like to all-in as my 4-bet, as QQ and AKo are harder to play post-flop due to Ax, Kx, TT+ hands and draws... Should I be betting 3x - 3.5x my opponent, ( e.g bet 3bb, 3-bet 9bb, 4-bet 27-31.5bb). I would be hoping for a re-raise or a call? If called play hand according to hand strenghts... made hands, monsters, trash, mid pairs ect....

I do tend 3x bet my AA and AKs (3x bets), due to flushes and over pairs being more likely and an easier time post-flop

The player commented it's very straight forward... that it's very obvious what I have. From my point of view I want the opponent to think i have JJ+, AK+, so I dont have to play a hard post-flop and give up the value of my hand vs a 4-bet call range.. (which I would place on AT+, KJ+, 10+) So any A, K, J, T, I'm check/folding with QQ

Also this certain player has read my blog and would know I would be using a beginner strategy, so i may be easy to read for him... so it's easy for him to place me on a range.
  • 6 replies
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Silver
      You should want to play those hands! Man, you're in position!

I think you still focus too much on sets and straights, on monsters.
      A lot of money comes from thinner value bets and these type of hands are the KING of the (thin) value bet!

PS You also want to play those hands out of position!

PSS Everybody puts you on that range

edit: Removed the capitals.. sorry bout those
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Silver
      @rubby

I do play them, i go all-in and explain my reasoning.. Do you mean I should 4-bet them?
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Silver
      4 bet for value or simply call. You are in position and can play poker! When you call he might think you have 77 or some.

What happens is when you go all in there is that you *only* will be called by AA KK and probably *all* other hands will fold. I.e. You will only get called by better.
      You win 10BB or loose your whole stack with QQ. There is no 'in between'. You risk 100BB to win 10BB.

When you call his 3bet and even when the flop is KT6 the chances of you still having the best hand QQ is huge!
      QQ is a very good hand! Float one... check it down.. bet one or more all good.

When villain goes nuts you can fold but because you have position it still will be quite cheap!
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      just follow the strategy and 4bet only change is to make it smaller
      most people use 2.2-2.5X because people suck against 4bets and play too polarized oop
      beginner strat is 3.5X
      optimal one vs storng opponents is around 3X

You make it really easy for him to play everything now, you don't have to dread being called when your range is QQ+AK
    • MrQNo
      MrQNo
      Gold
      With QQ, facing a 3bet, you want to raise, and you want to get all-in. But you want weaker hands to pay. Who will call such a big 4bet with AJ? So be patient, 4bet the normal size, and get all-in against a wide range of hands instead of KK+, AK after your push.
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Yep 4bet and call a shove or flat 3bet to keep weaker hands in. Same reason for 4bet.