My Quest For BM Party #7

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      30/03

Hello everyone.

I have always been a fan of the BM Party videos, and I always wanted to attend one of them myself. The seventh BM Party has now been announced to take place in Hamburg, which is, as fate wants, my girlfriend's favorite city on earth. That's why I decided that I want to achieve Diamond status in time for the party so I can pass a nice weekend with my love :) .

I remembered saying that, back in the time I was Platin member and grinding SSS like crazy, I could have achieved Diamond. First I made some calculations, but unfortunately, it seemed there wasn't really a way. Just to make sure, I decided to grind it out on PartyPoker (which seemed to deliver the most StrategyPoints) for a day the way I used to.

The first thing I did was to deposit 50 EUR on PartyPoker and started playing NL10 SSS. To find back to my game, I played some hands on the 27/03. I might not have played my best game, but I did get the hang back, and in spite of some serious beats, I only went down 1.5 stacks ($3.01 to be precise) in 1836 hands.

After receiving the StrategyPoints for that day, I was convinced that my plan could indeed be put into practice. On the 29/03, I played a bit more and worked my way back up to 18-tabling and by the end of the day, I had definitely found the way back to my game. The result was an okish 5.24BB/100H, with a total up of $34.01 in 6486 hands. More importantly, however, I managed to obtain 304 StrategyPoints, placing my daily average of required hands at about 6000 (on average, I need 267 StrategyPoints every day over a period of 28 days). Seeing how I used to manage 20K hands back in the days, while just 12-tabling (god, I must have been one sick bastard), I think the goal should thus be easily attainable.

After showing myself that it could be done, I wanted to cut down on the time required every day, and as it appears, I will only need about 3500 hands per day if I move up to NL25. I thus divided my plan into two phases: in phase one (now), I will try to build a solid NL25 SSS bankroll which will allow me to play NL25 SSS for 28 days (or about 100K hands) straight. In the second phase, I will then proceed to getting Diamond status in time for the party.

Today (30/3), I played another session of 4575 hands, and my game is definitely back up to par. At some point, I was suddenly hit by a lot of bad beats after the flop (2, 3 and 5 outers like crazy), so after an amazing 20BB/100H, I dropped down 5 stacks and ended with a lousy 5BB/100H and a profit of $21.27 - which is still OK though, I guess. Hopefully, I finally get to the $150 for NL25 one of the next few days; I might not have too much time to play, though.

Bankroll: $119.97

Graph 27/03 - 30/03
  • 55 replies
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      cool.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      ah sweet. A Grinder! Would be sick if you made Diamond Status playing only NL25! I didn't get there till i played NL100SSS :p
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      31/03

Just a small update before I go to bed. I started another session to finish up the 6K hands for today...I'm actually thinking about going straight to Diamond, whether I move up to NL25 or not. It should be doable on NL10, there is only a 5:3 difference in points awarded - I guess it will depend on the variance I encounter.

Talking about variance, I think it's pointing somewhat down at the moment...I just can't seem to get past the 5BB/100H and I really feel like more should be possible. As a side note: it's incredible how bad most players are, I'm starting to wonder why I'm not rich yet O_o.

The main purpose for this session was benchmarking how many hands I play per hour...it's a bit lower than on PokerStars I think, and came out at quite exactly 1200 per hour (a little more), which would mean I need about 5 hours per day - or 3 hours if I ever go up to NL25. This kinda corresponds with what I expected, so I'm feeling even more motivated now.

Bankroll: $131.70
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      very nice man! i hope to see you win this bet with yourself and then see you in the BM #7 videos :D
      Best of luck in your endeavor! :)
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      i am cheering for u as well ;)

go go!
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Very interesting, your going to need alot of volume to do this wouldn't it help if you had 2 Platforms that way you can mix tables and not have to wait.
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      01/04

I'm gold now, so time for an update! Just two more steps to climb ;) . Prepare for a long post, also, I'd love some feedback on this one! :)

Well, I haven't been playing too much yesterday (probably around 2K hands), and it went really bad. I think I wasn't playing at my best, so in spite of above average bad luck, I think I could have finished the day at least break-even. When I started off today, I was in a much better mood and very motivated - I got up really fast and was only $4 (2 stacks) away from NL25. I started thinking about keeping up my volume on the new limit and try to grab the $1000 from the gladiator promotion which just started on PartyPoker.

But then variance suddenly decided to grab me by the balls and show me who the real master of poker is :( . All my hands seemed to be constantly outdrawn (my aces weren't worth shit today), and I went down abruptly. I didn't really get up too much anymore, but I managed to minimize the losses, so I can keep grinding it out.

Good thing is, this motivated me to look out for leaks in my game, and even more for ways to reduce variance. As I'm pretty confident in my standard game, my attention was drawn to steals, re-steals and blind battles. I had been very tight so far, and slowly but surely, I think I found the right style for myself.

First for the steals, there is only one hand I steal blinds with from CO, and that's AT. From BU, my range gets much wider (22+, JT+, QT+, KT+, A8+, 56s+), but my range to call re-steals is very tight (the MP raising range basically) - I'm not sure whether I should include AJ and KQ here, but they seem very unsafe and are a good bet to increase variance without too much benefit imo, as most re-steals are AT+ or pairs, which are pretty much ahead of AJ and KQ.

In my SB vs BB, I have a similar range. I remove the suited connectors, whose playability is only really of advantage in position, but include some one-gappers and high kings/most aces. I depends on the situation sometimes, but that's the general idea.

When it comes to defending my blind, I shove with the MP raising range from SB and with the LP ranging range from BB against steals from BU - so far, this seemed to be a pretty safe bet, especially since the re-steals appear to work very often.

There are a few more adjustements I made to my game. For instance, when there are one or several limpers and I'm in the blinds, I only complete/check with AJ, KQ, 77 and 88, while shoving all other hands. The motivation behind this is that I hate playing a hand out of position if you hit only 1/3 of the time, and with a normal raise, you almost always get a caller with a small pair who doesn't want to let go. To balance this, I also shove my monsters. Overall, the success rate here is really high, and if you get calls, they are so bad most of the times that it really pays off. Only exception here are small stack UTG limpers - limp-raising KK/AA seems to be quite trendy atm...in those cases, I rather play it safe and raise the strong hands normally.

All these adjustements are now integrated with my game, if anyone has feedback, I'd very much appreciate. I know I'm quite tight in most spots in the blinds, but without stats, any more is just asking for trouble and variance to screw with me again. As far as the gladiator promotion is concerned, I'll just see how far I can go over the next few days and try to complete the highest possible goal. I will be away for 3 days over the weekend, so it will be a close call either way.

Originally posted by PidKoker
      Very interesting, your going to need alot of volume to do this wouldn't it help if you had 2 Platforms that way you can mix tables and not have to wait.
      Unfortunately, my laptop is already half dead with just PartyPoker running...when I used Elephant to keep track of my session performance, KK timed out on me twice, so I'd rather not run the risk, even though 18 tables gets real boring at times, and I'm certain I could easily handle 24 :/. Also, PartyPoker is the only decent software who awards so many Strategy Points imo.

Bankroll: $123.70

Graph: 31/03 - 01/04
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Very nice project!!

I'm actually thinking about trying the same thing.. just to see if I can manage to grind it up to Diamond in time for the party, despite my busy schedule :)

I haven't finalized my decision to do it.. but am seriously considering it :)

I have also continued to press the entire sailing + extra events issue of course :D

Good luck on your challenge!
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      02/04

Just a short update, as I will go to bed soon and I won't be playing again today: I just finished another 3.5 hours session and I'm so pissed. Nothing was really working out, so after more than 2 hours, I was only up 2 stacks. Then I lost like 5 stacks in 10 seconds and another 5 followed soon. In the remaining time, variance seemed to feel at least some pity for me and I managed to get back up to break-even. Yay. At least I should get a LOT of points today. But I want to move up to NL25 ffs, otherwise it will be too hard to get the $1000 from the gladiator promotion :( .

Bankroll: $122.27
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      I just began to realize how sick this actually is... the amount of points you are making in comparison to your bankroll is somewhat reminiscent of a certain boku challenge ;D

What kind of bonuses are you planning on buying with the PartyPoints?
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      really nice :) .
      I managed to get diamond in december, playing NL25SH in everest, but there were some SP bonuses and all.Now it is easy to get to diamond, but Im too lazy I guess :D .
      Go go , party is waiting for you!
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      In case anyone cares, I'm part of a LAN party orga team, and we had an event this weekend, which is why I didn't have any time for poker for the last 4 days.

What it also means is that I have to get 400 PartyPoints for 20 days in a row to make the $1000 in the gladiator promo...I might settle for 15 days, as that would also be exactly the amount of StrategyPoints needed for Diamond, though ;) .

I started playing again today, I'll give an update on my progress tonight.
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      06/04

Well, I can't write much, my girlfriend is sleeping in bed close to the laptop ;) . Played a little less than I should have today, but I decided to change my approach. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to NL25 in time for the gladiator challenge, so I will try for the 15 days with 400 points as mentioned earlier. That means I have four more days after today to get the necessary bankroll.

Today went quite OK...I feel like I deserved more, but hey, at least it's going into the right direction again. Two more days like that and I'm on NL25 anyways. I fine-tuned my game some more - I steal a bit more loosely, for instance - but overall, there isn't much more to do than just play, especially if you do 18 tables without stats.

Bankroll: $134.66

Graph: 06/04

• alland
      alland
      Global
      Hi would you mind posting your stats ? could be very interesting to see good luck with the challenge!
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alland
      Hi would you mind posting your stats ? could be very interesting to see good luck with the challenge!
      You mean the VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS or the hands/winrate? I don't really know where to find all that stuff on Elephant (also it's slow as **** on my PC), as soon as I can be bothered to dig out my PT3 licence, I'll give it a thought ;) .
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Just a small update.

I've been trying to switch to PT3 and apparently, a big chunk of my hand histories have disappeared due to Elephant, so I can't give the big update I wanted to - I have finally achieved the BR to switch to NL25 and wanted to show the graph from beginning till now, with all stats included. I contacted the PartyPoker support, who can hopefully help me to recover all hands.

I will update as soon as I got a definite answer ;) .
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      good luck with your goal :) .

I thought of grinding NL50 SSS for a month (60k hands for diamond), but then realised i have math graduation exam on 6th so i can't make the BM party :( . Still if I manage to get the points for diamond in may, it will be GREAT :) . Otherwise diamond in june :D .
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      10/04

Hey ho. I decided to change the style of my blog a little, as it seems to be too boring for most readers. So Elephant ate some of the hand histories my PT3 needed to give you a complete overview of my progress on NL10 so far - in a nutshell: I crushed NL10, turned my $63 or something into $150 and made enough points per day to get Diamond if I keep it up.

So the real deal has started now. My gf is working for the next 6 days and after that, she will be away for holidays for 2 weeks...plenty of time to make it to Diamond on NL25! As I will make it for sure anyways, I will already devote my success to someone who asked for it: vhalle, the probably manliest girl alive. Cheers mate!

About today, I found out that I need about 4K hands on NL25 to meet my goal of Diamond...so I played 7K, just to make sure. As my experience told me, people on NL25 don't suck as bad as on NL10...they suck even worse. This is great for the winrate, but it also increases variance, and variance likes to kick me into the balls whenever it can, so yeah, I will f*ck you up good tomorrow, you'll see!

I'll just leave you with the graph and my frustration.

Bankroll: $101.74

Graph: 10/04
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by awishformore
      10/04
      As I will make it for sure anyways, I will already devote my success to someone who asked for it: vhallee, the probably manliest girl alive. Cheers mate!
      the manliest girl alive? don't come to the BM party cause i'll break your legs :D
      anyways good luck there and make me proud :P