This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL25 AKs preflop facing 3-bet

• sm112
      sm112
      Black
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $6,80
      MP3:
      $28,80

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:heart: , K:heart:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $3,00, 5 folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2,35

His 3-bet range is 3% and according to equilator i have 42% equity. Is it a correct fold in that case or should i also take fold equity to my shove into consideration?

And is it a correct fold if my stack is exactly 5$?

Of the topic - a "fried fish moment" i would like to share :)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      3 folds, CO raises to $1,00, BU folds, Hero raises to $5,60 (All-In), BB folds, CO calls $4,60.

Flop: ($11,45) 3:heart: , 2:heart: , 7:diamond:
      Turn: ($11,45) J:heart:
      River: ($11,45) Q:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $11,45

Results follow:
      Hero shows three of a kind, queens (Qh Qd)
      CO shows high card ace with queen kicker (Ac Tc)

And some hands later with the same guy..

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:spade: , K:spade:
      UTG1 folds, Hero calls $0,25, 6 folds, BB raises to $1,25, Hero raises to $3,50, BB calls $2,25.

Flop: ($7,10) K:club: , 6:diamond: , 4:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $6,45 (All-In), Hero calls $6,45.

Turn: ($20,00) 8:diamond:
      River: ($20,00) 9:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20,00

Results follow:
      Hero shows a pair of kings (As Ks)
      BB shows a pair of kings (Kh Js)

Funny, but i have moments like this in the end of almost every session.
  • 13 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Your bigger stack makes this decision a bit tougher, but I would still go broke here without time to make calculations.

As you said yourself you get 42.8% equity against 3% range which is most probably correct range in this spot, but your pot odds demand 43.8% equity.

1/[(6.8$*2 + 0.35$)*0.95]*5.80$ --> 0.4376

Well, you see you made correct decision, but with 20bb stack it's always correct to go broke with AK.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      I'd also go broke here maybe 80 % of the time when I multitable 10+ , but I must say I respect your decision as I always get some satisfaction when I fold because I had enough time to calculate my equity.
      with a bigger stack, it isn't recommended to shove here as an mp player raising a short stack in utg would usually hold a strong enough hand to make it unprofitable for you
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000
      Your bigger stack makes this decision a bit tougher, but I would still go broke here without time to make calculations.

As you said yourself you get 42.8% equity against 3% range which is most probably correct range in this spot, but your pot odds demand 43.8% equity.

1/[(6.8$*2 + 0.35$)*0.95]*5.80$ --> 0.4376

Well, you see you made correct decision, but with 20bb stack it's always correct to go broke with AK.
      Hey guys, please help me out a little with this math. I didn't understand all the parts of your equation here Burek, would you be so kind to explain it to me? =D

This is what I would have done:

1/ 1+[(6.8$ + 1$ + 0.35$)/5.8$] = 1/ 1+ (8,15/5,80) = 1/2,4 = 0,41 = 41%

That is: 1/ 1+[(pot) / (hero´s investment)]

What am I missing here?
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      I admit, my equation is a bit messed up. ^^

Basically your and mine equation are the same, except I included rake as well.

Well, my equation is something like this....

{1/[(final pot)*rake]}*hero's investment

...where final pot = pot + hero's investment.

In your equation, + hero's investment is included in 1/ 1+[(pot) / (hero´s investment)]

I hope this is more clear. :)
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Oh yes, it does! That is what the 0.95 stood for then, rake. I get it now, cheers.
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      This hand came at the end of my session and most of the tables were closed, so i had some time to think about it before folding. I folded because of the bigger stack and i think i don't have fold equity at all when shoving, so it was a correct fold then.
      And as I can see, you definitely would go broke with 20BB stack, even against a tight player. This question actually interested me even more.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sm112
      And as I can see, you definitely would go broke with 20BB stack, even against a tight player. This question actually interested me even more.
      I think it would be interesting to think about this hand from all points of view (positions, stacks, stats and so on) if it were to be played in a NL100 + game. I now the strategy is more advanced there and, because I've seen xarry folding pocket queens in eg in a couple of almost identical situations, I wonder if that could change a bit the perspective
      in my opinion, with a stack of 25 BBs or more it's still a good fold, but what if you're somewhere in between 18 bbs and 24 ?
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hero in this hand has more than 29BBs and only lacks 0.5% of equity to go broke, so everything from 25BB and below is a push with AKs if you put villain on range AK/JJ+ or looser.

For each individual situation you have to make calculations and then you see what's profitable and what's not, but when there's +/- <1% difference in equity I prefer to just stick to basic strategy and put calculations aside.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      fold preflop, leave table with >25BB or play only AA and KK with that stack.
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      1) push preflop, you cant just take the 3bet value because he will play a lot different against SSSers
      2) nh
      3) raise preflop.....what are you doing there? :(
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      Third one.. I'm not feeling convenient with double stack, that's why the weird play. And the villain was a fish on tilt..
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      you feel unconvinient = you are afraid of being outdrawn, so you limp??? not THAT logical

and as soon as somebody shows strength by raising, THEN you reraise..... it really doesnt make any sense ^^
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      Yes, I admit I played it totally wrong :)
      But when limping I was actually hoping that this particular guy will raise and everything went exactly as planned. As I said, he wasn't a good player and I was 100% sure he's on tilt, that's why I was waiting for his raise. And after the flop I was 100% sure I was ahead. But in the future I will stick to the strategy, that's a promise ;)