I don't watch poker TV shows
        4%
        Other (specify in comment)
        3%
      Total: 128 Votes
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Watching poker tournaments in the comfort of your own living room seems to be appealing to more and more people around the world. Major broadcasting companies keep adding airing time for poker shows.

Do you like poker-based TV shows? If so, which one in particular?
  • 19 replies
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      poker sfter dark because its like an extended SnG
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      HSP definitely. Everything about it just rocks. Pure class.

PAD has got potential, but from what I've seen it's more like a hit-or-miss affair with no sense of direction or purpose... also they often come up with some really cheesy table "themes".

FullTilt Million Dollar Cash Game would have been a great show if it wasn't for the incompetent and lousy announcers.

And of course, WSOP is WSOP. It's a special occasion and is not to be missed!
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      HSP.
      I dont know if its the commentary, the big names, the biggest pots, but this show has definitely a character of his own.
      My second pick would be The party poker Premier league, great show in an innovative format.
      Third comes Poker After dark, just because they are filming nearly every hand and you get a good taste of the action.
      After that, the other cash game shows that come around from time to time
      Best damn poker show with Phil Hellmuth and Annie Duke was a fresh one, with good concepts.
      In the bottom of the graph, I have to put WSOP and WPT shows.The fields in those ones are so big, that the TV coverage is only of the big pots, and thats usually when two monster hands meat for a preflop all-in, so 95% of the show is watching coinflips and 80/20s.It is good for attracting fish, as they watch and think thats all about poker, but there really isnt any actual good that you can extract from watching these.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Well HSP is gonna in it for me and i havent even finished watching the 4th season :D
      The commentary, the players, the pots. Its just the best.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      HSP is so awesome. Gabe is cool :D

Worst is poker after dark I think, it's so slow and the commentator is so boring.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      The episodes that I remember most are the high stakes poker ones. Incredible bluffs and hands + lots of $$! And most players are well known.

Then it would be WSOP, funny to see some amateur bust a pro with a badbeat lol. Matusow's squeal when he loses is priceless! Helmuth ranting is great too haha

Poker after Dark isnt too bad

Many new/unknown ppl on the WPT/EPT I think, so hard to identify myself and get really interested.

But in general I watch nearly every poker show I stumble upon.

The commentators are very important, some are just boring.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      a few weeks ago they just brought in the European Cash Game show from poker heaven and it's really awesome. mainly because they don't comment it in my language ( :heart: ) and not even in english so it's a great way to learn stuff because you get to focus on the hands, you can do the maths in certain situations, you hear their table chat and so on.
      they're all regulars from what I've seen so far (Peter Eastgate,Chris Haller, Eric Liu,Neil Channing and so on) and the game is NL100 FR. they all usually buy in with 10K euros, but I've also seen some of them bringing 13.5K, 15K, 20K and even making a rebuy
      I think this is the main spot that makes this one a great show as well.
      in extra, apart from the once/twice per week game episode, they also have an extra weekly episode where they bring in 2 players and discuss some of their tactics, edges/leaks as well as some of their reads on the other opponents while explaining their plays in different hands (also not translated :heart: :heart: )
      another + is for the fact that they don't just show the hands with the biggest pots, they also show a lot of plays where someone would just say "aw big deal, he bluffed and the other guy folded" but actually if you understand poker you see it as a huge play in a difficult spot. but ofc there are major bluffs as well :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I like EPT because it's "European" :D
      I voted for WSOP.
      Of course I like watching HSP too, but I kinda hate Gabe Kaplan :)

To be honest, I like almost every poker TV Show.
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      easy choice HSP

I do like the WSOP when its on, I don't like the fact that the final table is delayed to nvoember which is the same this year.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      I like high stakes poker, but I voted for "other" I like premier league poker :D its the end of the final next week :)
    • nattybongo
      nattybongo
      Bronze
      Party Poker's Premier League has 2 b my fav. I think the structure is amazing with all the pro's, it's a juicy show.
    • riv3rd4ncer
      riv3rd4ncer
      Bronze
      HSP!!
      PAD could've been good if they hadn't decided to place the players microphones right underneath their chipstacks. (i like a little background noise, but when the chiptricks are actually louder than the conversations we've crossed the line imo...)
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      I like high stakes poker, but I voted for "other" I like premier league poker :D its the end of the final next week :)
      Haha yh, did u watch it last night!!! Eastgate wtf? Tom Dwan... ok nice read but whole stack on a pair of 4's with a flushdraw? But very nice comeback by him
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      HSP, definately. Worst must be cash poker with that annoying over enthusiastic commentator "insert_name" who knows nothing about poker.
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      HSP is best esp this season 5 with durrrr :D also Gabe is best commentator ever.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      Haha yh, did u watch it last night!!! Eastgate wtf? Tom Dwan... ok nice read but whole stack on a pair of 4's with a flushdraw? But very nice comeback by him
      Yeh I watched it, cant remember whos still in tho, I remember thinkin the commentator was a donk then realised it was phil helmuth :D
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      HSP for me as well. I generally like cash games way more than tournaments, because you're actually playing with cold hard cash and not just tournament chips. If you win, the money is yours, no way around it. And the amounts are unbelievable. Investing almost $500,000 in one pot? That's a 20 year salary for some people! It's awesome to see such amounts fly across the table...

I like National HU Championship, very unique format, unlike most shows which are FR. Phil Hellmuth vs. Tom Dwan in the first episode (2008) was very entertaining. WSOP is fine, too, but it is and stays a tournament, if you don't get lucky you can't win. I think cash games put much more emphasis on skill, and imo they're much more entertaining to watch.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      HSP. :)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Any show with Durrrr or any high-roller in it