Where Eagles Dare (Steps to WSOP).

• EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze

Pic courtesy of Avians.net

Hi guys/girls,

The majority of you will probably already know me quite well by now (some probably far too well lol :P ), but introduction below for anyone new to the PokerStrategy family.

Lots of people have been asking that I do another blog and whilst I don't currently have sufficient time to detail my NL25 sss grind, I thought this "Challenge" that i could pick up occasionally might be quite interesting, or at least a right laugh for spectators :D

Your Host

I'm Bart from Hampshire in the U.K. I'm thir.... over 18 :tongue: been a member here since Oct 2008 and a Moderator since, well recently really.
      I also write the weekly "Community Round-up" news item, but suspect this blog will never be good enough for Blog of the week. :)

The Challenge

Using the $29.23 balance I found in an old poker account, play exclusively in the Steps SnG qualifiers to a potential W.S.O.P seat for 2009 (starting each time from Step 1).

I warn you now, I'm not that great when it comes to SnG's so don't actually expect to qualify, but at the end of the day, the maximum I will lose is $29.23 in an old account I don't use anymore, so it's gotta be worth a shot, right?

Step 1 Buy In is $0.10+0.01, so I make that a maximum of 265 seperate attempts in total.

Please don't ask or attempt to guess which poker site this is I'm playing on. It's not one of PokerStrategy's partner sites, I haven't played on there for years and wouldn't actually recommend it anyway to be honest. Most sites like PokerStars, Full Tilt etc do similar qualifiers and are much better in my humble opinion.

The Steps

Support

All support, encouragement and advice/expertise is greatly appreciated and very much encouraged.

Ok, so lets see how much fun we can get out of $29 :D
      Wish me luck !

Bart
  • 78 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Best of luck Hampshire Bart, I'll definitely vote for this as blog of the week if you make it! Nice photo by the way, did you have a professional sitting for this?

And as someone once said "Theives rush in where angles fear to tread".

No relevance ofc, but bonus points and a guaranteed* WSOP if you can place the quote... you are old enough and have a twisted enough sense of humour to know this anyway... :D

* Guarantee may be a lie.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Best of luck Hampshire Bart, I'll definitely vote for this as blog of the week if you make it! Nice photo by the way, did you have a professional sitting for this?

No relevance ofc, but bonus points and a guaranteed* WSOP if you can place the quote... you are old enough and have a twisted enough sense of humour to know this anyway... :D

* Guarantee may be a lie.
      rofl Superb post mate, still chuckling to myself now, 5 minutes after reading it, professional sitting indeed lol.

Really appreciate your kind words too, many thanks :)

Could be totally swooping down on the wrong prey here, but wasn't it one of those 80's comedy progs (play on the words Fools rush in), can't remember the name of it though (age affects the memory you know :P )

Thanks again,

Old Bart ;)
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      hey bart, what room is this?
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Could be totally swooping down on the wrong prey here, but wasn't it one of those 80's comedy progs (play on the words Fools rush in), can't remember the name of it though (age affects the memory you know :P )

Thanks again,

Old Bart ;)
      "No Neil, its fools"

"Uh... okay... Thieves rush in where Fools fear to tread."

But the "Young Ones" today just wouldn't remember this.. :P

BTW very probably misquoted, but you get the gist... if there is one... :( :tongue:

But very seriously really looking forward to this following your / any progress! :D No pressure dude..
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello Bartman lol,

Congratulations on the starting of the blog on what im sure will be an interesting journey. I'll definitely be following this one with great interest mate.

Wishing you the best of luck mate.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Many thanks Steve, really appreciate it.

Decided to start out nice and easy, settle myself into these, so just playing a set of 2x Step 1 tables at a time and on the nice slow "Regular" blind clock.

Initial impression was omg these players are so tight, it was like the WSOP Main Event cash bubble rather than a 10cent quali, I resisted the temptation to play loose though and by playing ultra tight and catching people unawares with trips/flushes etc, have made some progress.

4 games in (just 3x buy in's so far) & already holding 2x Step 2 Tickets & 1x Step 1 ticket.

Early days of course, lets see how it pans out.

If anyone has any advice on how to tackle these, my ears are open to your suggestions :)

Bart
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Nice start! Wish you the best of luck, and I'll stake you 10c so when you get to WSOP you'll be obliged to give me some of ur winnings :P I never really played any steps so can't give you much advice, I think it'll get harder as you go on, fold AA if the whole table goes all in! I think the DoN article may help as its a similar situation where you don't have to be chipleader to win, as top 3 ( I think?) all make it to the next step.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Thanks Sarah, Congrats on your results today too, very nice :)

Ended day 1 actually more consistent than I thought I'd be.

Real mixture of players, varying between ultra tight and maniacs.

Inevitably had to get caught sometime and it came in game 5 where my Full House Aces & 2's were beaten by Aces & 4's lol, can't really complain about that, board was A24 rainbow and due to the way he'd been playing put opponent on AJ/AQ/AK. Fought a valiant push/fold for half an hour, but always favourite to disappear with just 6bb left.

Ended day 1 with:

3x promoted to Step 2's;
      1x to retry Step 1;
      1x lost
      From 5 cash Buy In's in total.

All good fun,

Bart
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Nice blog Bart, I live in Surrey, went to school in Hampshire (Churchers College dunno if you know it)

Gl with your challenge
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello Bart,

Great start to your challenge mate. Well played.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      and I was thining "omfg! I think I'm the only guy from PS playing at 6 AM! I'm so low..."
      :D
      (just kidding)
      nice attempt, looking 4wd to see your progress ;)

best of luck!
      michael
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      lol Thanks Michael/Alex/Steve.

Well, spurred on by my lovely friends here on PokerStrategy, I made really good progress today.
      Lost a couple of games early on including a flopped high full house to rivered quads, but managed to get a 4th entry up past step 1 and from there..... phew, loving Step 2, 4x trys, 4x wins, ship it :D

Not getting complacent though, know that tough days lie ahead, but for now I just want to say "wooooooooot" :P

Couldn't decide what the best way to show you my results were, decided to drop the mentions of 'attempts' and just provide you with all my raw results and a chart of current positions (x number of entries currently at each Step). Hope this is easy enough to understand, if not shout.

Updated Results

Current Position

Wasn't too sure how to play the ladder in terms of number of entries and whether to play a 'Ticket' as soon as earnt. Started off today thinking I'd just play 4x entries and try to walk them all up the ladder together.

Received a really good suggestion from dadude however which basically is, as I've got a pot of money set aside for this anyway, might as well keep shoving lots of entries into Step 1 and pushing as many up the ladder as possible.
      Not sure what others think (answers on a postcard please), but I like this suggestion and so from tomorrow will be multi-tabling Step 1 a bit to see how it goes.

Many thanks for the suggestion dadude, really appreciate it ;)

As mentioned before, all suggestions/theories/experiences/wild thoughts whatsoever are really welcomed, so please do drop me a reply with them :)

Bart
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Nice progress so far!

My suggestion is you could continuously buy into step one, try to get a bunch of step 2's, when you have a few of these start playing for step 3 entries n build a few of those up, all the way up to the final steps so you have some entries on each step, then if you lose on ur highest step you don't have to start all over again as you always have entries on the steps below.

I think that might be the same idea as dadude, but I just made it sound way more confusing (it makes sense in my head anyway lol) I guess it would look more like a pyramid than a ladder..

somethin like this..

9 9
      8 8 8
      7 7 7 7
      6 6 6 6 6
      5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

it would be a tough grind tho, n might not go according to plan
    • JoaoMartins
      JoaoMartins
      Bronze
      I love this idea.
      Good Luck! It'd be a remarkable ROI, to turn 11 cents into 11 million :D . Keep it up and ship it!
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragment Sarah & JoaoMartins, really appreciate it. Doing it for the community ;)

This is just so Sick a run, never before encountered such a run in SnG's, but long may it continue.
      Will update the blog fully at the end of the day, but some interim stats for you:

Total games played = 27

1st = 8, 2nd = 8, 3rd = 4, 4th = 1, 5th = 2, 6th = 1, 7th = 1, 8th = 1, 9th = 1

14 Buy-In's used to date of which 6 lost. Currently still in: x2 on Step 4, x3 on Step 3, x2 on Step 2 & 1x on Step 1.

More soon,

Bart
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Go, Bart Man, Go!

Would it be fair to say those Step 1 SnGs are just a fish pond?
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Be aware of the Superusers. (You know they exist on Cereus :D )

Good luck with your quest Bart.

If you are interested in sharing your excel file I'd love to get a copy. It could be fun to try to do same :P You can catch me on Skype in case.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Go, Bart Man, Go!

Would it be fair to say those Step 1 SnGs are just a fish pond?
      Thanks my friend for the *\o/* :D

To be totally honest, Step 1 is actually very tight, surprisingly so. Think you've got quite of lot of fools like me trying to do it all from the bottom rung.

Step 2 & 3 have so far been fishier than a fishy fishermans fish knife, but having to be extremely careful as the devils keep catching!

It seems to me that Ultra Tight & limping (not normally recommended) is the way to go, or at least so far.

Just made a tactical fold of KK on step 3 preflop after initially raising due to multiple callers, worked a treat, 2x fell, I'd therefore secured at least a retry of step 3 and went on to promotion by finishing 2nd :D

Bart
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      Be aware of the Superusers. (You know they exist on Cereus :D )

Good luck with your quest Bart.

If you are interested in sharing your excel file I'd love to get a copy. It could be fun to try to do same :P You can catch me on Skype in case.

Sure no problem. Gotta cut the lawn first, but will be in touch shortly.

p.s. The software will tilt you, boy is it frustrating :rolleyes:

Bart