Grimzor's story

• Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Hey, fellow gamblers.

Warning – long post, cliffnotes below :)

Introduction:

I have decided to open a new blog up here – this will be my 2nd blog – which will be as a fresh start for me. I imagine it as turning a new page, a new chapter in life or in this case my poker adventures.

About me:

I am 21 year old computer science student from Latvia. Have been playing poker for a bit more than a year and have experienced a lot of different aspects of poker – have seen ups and downs, tilts and what not. Have played all games – NL, FL, Stud hi/lo, HORSE, PLO – SNG, tourneys and cash. I guess this is not optimal scenario as it would be better to focus on one game, but I have been unable to keep my attention on one for prolonged periods of time. I guess that’s something I have to accept and be aware of.

Previous adventures:

My previous poker adventures have been full of ups and downs – I have got my roll up to 2k from starting 100$ I deposited. Then I was unable to get it above 2k mark for a looong time. At one point got roll over 2k and took a shot at NL100 but couldn’t get a foothold there. Experienced struggle through downswing and at one point I cashed out a few hundred dollars leaving 1k in my account to get a fresh start and drop down a limit or two. From there I experienced my best month when I got 1k profit. Sadly a downswingament followed and I dropped almost 1k next month. Now looking back I think it broke me – a few loosing months followed and just a couple weeks back my stars balance showed 270$. It was psychologically very hard moment for me as poker player. I had to realize that I might go broke.. that I might not be a winning player after all. I went to last straw of hope and went to 10$ DONs, a game type where I have shown profit previously. Having 26BI I didn’t feel safe as I play 8 tables at once. I knew this could be my last shot at somewhat speedy recovery as if I fail at start I would have to drop down a limit again and it could slow me down considerably.

Turning point:

That was last week at 10$ DONs – my first session was smooth sailing, “eeez game”. I got a nice heater and had like 25% ROI over 50 games. And like a cherry on top I took down 2$ 6max triple shootout satellite to Sunday Million. Having doubled my roll in 2 days I feel I have a chance to get it all right again.

To turning point I might add that I have changed my life outside poker considerably as well. If before I was degen type player that spend massive amount of time playing online poker then now I am more socially active, having way more fun in life. I believe that could help me psychologically in my poker adventures.

Current plans:

I got 50$ free from FTP a while ago. Tried some FTOPS satalites and have 20$ left. Sadly but my deal with pokerstrategy on FTP ended because I didn’t know I had to deposit within a few months after registering. After telling them that without affiliate deal and rakeback I just see no reason why to play there they set me up with other affiliate and now I receive rakeback. Perhaps bit bad for pokerstartegy but I have decided to take a look at that and will play 2$ SNGs till I go bust or reach 60$-ish to play 3$ SNGs with aggressive 20 BI BRM.

Other plan is to keep playing 10$ DONs on stars with now solid 60 BI BRM. Play some small games on a side once in a while. Those games could be some MTTs for NL or PLO.

Educational aim – watch videos and buy at least one book on poker. It will most likely be either HU book that timukasr bought or maybe stud book I can get from Pokerstars shop.

Recently started playing a lot of live poker with friends – last month I showed ~100$ profit (we play about NL50). Want to continue this and keep track of my results. Also try to build more solid and separate BR for live poker as at the moment it is a bit insecure.

Long term aims:

My long term aim is to be able to earn more with poker than I earn in my job. Being a student, that also works means, that I have not much free time. And the free time I get is filled with parties and poker. A poker pro way of living has great appeal in my eyes and I definitely want to reach that. Given that I am student and come from Eastern European country I could live with relatively low income. 1k$ a month would be enough for a good living.

8 tabling turbo DONs I can play like 25-30 games in 2h. if I play on average some 3-4h a day I could get 50 games per day on average. Lets say I play 25 days each month and have some holidays as well. That would result in 1250 games per month.

1250*10,4 = 13000$ turnover.

If I can get 10% average ROI then it would result in 1,3k$ profit per month.

I think this is certainly achievable and if my aim is somewhat steady 1k$ a month I have some margin for errors and planned profit overestimation.

Problem is that at the moment I have no 2-3h to dedicate to poker each day. So my aim is to keep BR growing and try to average at least 10% ROI and when summer break for university comes then perhaps try a semi-poker-pro tryout month. Dunno if I ever will have the guts to quit job but will see … I am not rushing into anything.

Results:

Stars BR: ~600$
      FTP: 20$
      Live poker: +100$.

Graph at the start of blog:

Cliffnotes for tl;dr guys:
      • Fresh start
      • Degen gambler changing lifestyle
      • DON grind
      • Long term aim - low stakes semi-poker pro

See you in a couple days...
  • 48 replies
    • PokemasterTT
      PokemasterTT
      Bronze
      GL, I read it all.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      20/04

Decided to play poker today more than usually.

First 2h session was finished with 4,17% ROI (24games). Perhaps had slightly more bad beats than usual but it was bearable. 2nd session turned out as disaster and i was down 70$ after it (26games, -26% ROI). Got a bit angry because of all the bad beats i recieved. Also got a bit upset about other player's play that was very redicilous and cost me 20$. Although bit upset i didnt go on tilt and maintaned good game.

In the end had 2 small sessions afterwards - each 45 mins long where i played 8 tables as set. I am making excel sheet where i will book results and i will definatelly check if it is better for me to play DONs as sets or should i start another right after previous one finishes. Anyway, this time sets were very profitable and in 2 sets i managed to earn back all what i lost previously.

Totals for evening:

66 games played, 6h, +13,6$, 1,98% ROI.

what i can see from this relativelly small yet quite good sample is that i can play like 10-11 games/hour. Comparing that to my long term aim calculations this would mean that with 4h per day i could play only like 40 games a day, 1000 per month if i assume i play only 25 days. So tehnically if i can get 10% ROI then its all still very possible even on this limit without altering game time.

Results:
      Stars BR: 607.60$
      FTP BR: 21.55$
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      21/04

Played some more DONs today.

One consecutive 2h session with 25 games played where i averaged 7,69% ROI and 2 session where i played DONs as set. Average ROI for set type of playing was 8,17%. So difference is not big, but i was surprised that games per hour didnt differ much as well.

Think i might switch to set type of playing for next couple days. Its much more convienent if i need to go to toilet, have unexpected changes in my plans, etc. And i feel more confident that way tbh.

Anyways 2 more goals archieved - today i again reached goldstar status on stars and i have almost clared 50$ bonus (like 2 VPP needed :D ). I bought it for FPP when i had some FPP left and my BR was dangerously low. I know its not the best deal around, but my BR needed a boost.

Anyway, todays result:

41 game played, 3,5h spent, 7,88% ROI, +33,60$

Stars BR: 640,80$
      FTP BR: 21.55$
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      22/04

This is THE DAY, the day of changes.

Today we had a meeting at work where we were informed about effect of economy crisis in Latvia on our enterprise. As a result most ppl at work had their shift or salary reduced... and me.. i lost my job.

I see one option at the moment - i am going pro! Have to finish what i have started but from 1st of May i will be fully poker player (+ university).

Feelings i have now are hard to describe - from one point i lost my reliable source of income, it is very alarming. I am in profit from poker in lifetime, yet i had like 3 loosing months in a row. I think it will be hard, damn hard for me, but i have known the situation and trends for some time and it didnt come as huge surprise. I had always considered poker as my backup plan. Now i will be put to test and the real fight will begin...

Aims: keep my mind sharp and cool, overcome whatever psyholigical difficulties it might bring. Have asked my flatmates to keep an eye on me and rush to help me in case they see me tilting. I think tilt was my worst enemy during last months. Even tho my flatmates dont play poker they should know a thing or two about my habits and emotions.

Today played 2 sets of DONs, results:

16 games, 1,4h spent, +33,60$, ROI 20,19%, 23,72$/h

Graph at this historical day:

Bankrolls:
      Stars: 724.40$
      FTP: unchanged

Thanks to all readers that follow this, your support will be much appreciated.

LET THE REAL GAME BEGIN!
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      I wish you the very best of luck man.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      A buddy of mine is moving to Latvia in July..............apparently it gets F*&^in cold where u are! :P
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      23/04

It aint so cold. During summers temperature is somewhat in between +15 and +30 degrees celsius. I wouldnt call that cold :) At winter maybe - then it can get like -25 :)

Anyway, a bit about poker too - yesterday (23/04) played only 16 games (2x sets) as university had party to celebrate start of student days. Student days are like 2 week long student celebrations filled with various events.

Poker results:
      16 games, +113,6$, 1,58h, 68,27% roi, 71,75$/h :)

[x] heater :D
      [ ] sustainable

Party results:
      some drinks, some girls met, -some $, 8h, very high roi :)

With this heater now my average roi sincce i started this blog is a bit over 13% over 139 games. Happy with roi, need to push up games. After next month will see how i can improve that.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Nice, nice! We can start grinding tourneys together now ;) .
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Definately. Although i havent played tourneys in a while because i cant give up like 5h straight for it. Have so much to do other than poker that interrupts me from time to time.

Anyway, didnt play much poker lately - had some partys and now getting ready for 3 day boat trip with like 200 other students. It is gonna be legendary...

Played a bit poker yesterday - DONs - like 17 of them with total profit of 3$. Today i had to do some arangements for this baot trip so i didnt know how much time i got for each session i played so i decuided to try out some cash games. Played like 1,5k hands of NL25 SH total and earned like 120$.

Played a bit on full tilt as well and got some rakeback.

So total BR at the moment:
      Stars: 964,45$
      FTP: 34,93$

And now - theeee legendary boat trip. See you in 3 or so days :D

Edit: to make more fun lets see hand of the day:

$0.1/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      5 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG shadow9300 ($14.00)
      CO ondiablo ($25.00)
      BTN weizinho50 ($22.60)
      SB chaotsu7 ($25.00)
      BB Hero ($27.20)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 5 players) Hero is BB 7:spade: Q:spade:
      2 folds, weizinho50 raises to $0.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: 4:heart: 8:club: 8:spade: ($1.60, 2 players)
      Hero checks, weizinho50 bets $0.75, Hero raises to $2.50, weizinho50 raises to $4.25, Hero raises to $11, weizinho50 folds

Final Pot: $10.10

Hero wins $16.35 ( won +$4.60 )
      weizinho50 lost -$5
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      04/05

A new month has started and now i have more free time to play. Returned from boat trip, played a bit cash games which i see was a mistake. All i won in cash games before was lost. I think i am just not made for cash games. Might give another try sometime later but now back to DONs.

Today played 50 games, 4.4h spent, 80$ profit, 15.38$ ROI, 18.18$/h

Too bad i played that cash games :D But oh well.

Bankrolls
      Stars: $876.60
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      5/05

Had a busy day, not much poker. Tried again some cash game and quickly lost like a buyin or slightly more. Decided not to continue with it and played some multi table SNGs. Som 45man, 90man and 180man ones. Took 4th place in 12$ turbo 180man where my 77 got river-pwned by J when i was up against AJ.

Anyway result at this moment:
      Stars BR: $940,47
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      hey, Grimzor!
      just wanted to say hello! and you're doing a good job here :)

I'm not a sng player even though I tried it for a few weeks in my early poker days, but still want to congratulate you for keeping your head up when almost br busted and wanna ensure you I followed your blog ever since I noticed this:
      Originally posted by Grimzor

This is THE DAY, the day of changes.

Today we had a meeting at work where we were informed about effect of economy crisis in Latvia on our enterprise. As a result most ppl at work had their shift or salary reduced... and me.. i lost my job.

I see one option at the moment - i am going pro! Have to finish what i have started but from 1st of May i will be fully poker player (+ university).

I'm sure I am not the only one who quietly and constantly reads your updates, so good luck in the future, keep us updated on your progress and hope for the best !!

Michael
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      6/05

Thanks for support. I am glad someone reads this :)

Today i tried some new things to see if i can make some changes:
      1) tried 20,80$ DONs. Reduced table number to 4 at first and later increased a bit up to 6. In total i played 19 of them and got like 32$ profit. Result: 20,80$ DONs seam beatable, but means less games per hour and lower roi, $/h need more testing.
      2) tried stacking DONs instead of tile layout. For this test i took like 8x5$ DONS while playing in 3 tourneys. To my surprise managed to cash in 7 of them. Result: Stacking works :D Dunno if i would be able to play 10$ ones this way successefully tho.
      3) played some 180man tourneys and one double shootout or smth.. cant remember exactly, but i lost all my previous profit somewhere .. must be this.

And in the end i played 8$ PLO tourney where i got 6th place for 60$. So in the end day was ok :D Oh and BR above 1k$ again.. Happy about that.

Plans for next days - will have some busy days with less poker. But when i will play i probably will play DONs more again and perhaps some 7$ 180man tourneys. I plan to make experiment to 15+ table 5$ DONs using stack layout. So 5$ DON regs - keep your eyes open and see you at tables :)

BR: $1003.60
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      7/05

This was interesting day in a lot of ways.

First, I didnt do my experiment with stacking 5$ DONs. Instead i played 20$ DONs. And i did that for 8,5 hours (6 tabling) :D

Used what i would call adaptive set method... or adaptive consecutive game method if you want :D Basically i play DONs in sets but usually sets get slowed down a lot because one or two are taking a lot longer. So instead i play sets but when like 2 remain i open up new tables. Works ok.

Anyway results for today:

68 games played, 8,5h spent, +185,60$, 21,8$/h, 13,1% ROI

^^ seems like i can beat 20$ DONs :) ROI aint much different from 10$ DONs.. heater?!? Will see about that.

BR: $1189,20

Plans for tomorrow - have to go to university, get some things done. Hopefully some poker in between and some party in the evening :)

Edit: Ah silly me - forgot i wanted to post graph today.

Here it is:

• Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      8/05

Found some time for poker - 5 and a half hours to be exact :)

Played 49 games of 20,80$ DONs with 100,80$ profit (17,84$/h; 9,89% ROI)

Happy about results, now will hurry to do some homework because i wanna go outside too and party a bit. Tomorrow one of my flatmates has birthday so will have very little time for poker if any at all. See you in couple days i guess.

Totals:

BR: $1290.00
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      10/05

Cash games, oh silly cash games.

Decided to give a shot at NL25 FR. Opened 6 tables and gradually increased that to 9. Was playing good game and showing some profits. Was about 50$ up at some point (i still have that thing where i check the balance every now and then). Sadly cash game session ended as it always ends for me - with loss (<- lol at that emo speak). This time i lost like 35$. My session could be described like this: played around 1,6k hands, lost 3x times with set over set and ran into quads a couple times.

I really need to stay away from cash games, right :D Riiiiight.

After that i went to DONs again to try and grind my ass out of the minus zone. And it worked - DONs really are made for me, i cut through them like hot knife through butter :D

Days results:
      43 games played; 4,7h time spent, +105$; 22$/h; 11,81% ROI

So finished day with +70$ or so.

Today checked my stats for 20,80$ DONs and found out i have 11,7% ROI over 179 games. Seems like i am not doing much worse than on 10,4$ DONs.
      Already looking forward for next limit. But i wont move up without a solid BR. Although i could try to delay cashout as long as possible to speed up things.

BR: $1361.25
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Keep it up!
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      11/05

Had quite sick day - my first downswing after creation of this blog. Lost like 4 times 70/30 and 80/20 situations in a row and some flips and was down like 110$ after first games. I got on tilt, screamed and cursed a lot. But lets not whine here - will show you how all start of my day went:

No Limit Holdem Tournament
      $20.00+$0.80
      8 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG paigowtommy (1090)
      UTG+1 Nikolaisikus (2830)
      MP1 amaviss (2485)
      MP2 Hero (2310)
      CO Ninja_rugby (1400)
      BTN Noeleven82 (1440)
      SB Atibumbalati (2135)
      BB lindar31 (1310)

Blinds: 75/150 Ante 15

Pre-flop: (345, 8 players) Hero is MP2 A:heart: A:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to 400, 3 folds, lindar31 goes all-in 1,295, Hero calls 895

Flop: J:club: J:diamond: 4:club: (2,785, 2 players)

Turn: Q:diamond: (2,785, 2 players)

River: 2:club: (2,785, 2 players)

Final Pot: 2,785
      lindar31 shows: J:spade: J:heart:
      Hero shows: A:heart: A:club:

lindar31 wins 2,785 ( won +1,490 )
      Hero lost -1,295

Then i realized that tilt affect my game, i went out to get some air, calmed down and got back to grind my ass out of loses. Results didnt improve much at first but i managed to keep calm and grinded out of losses eventually:

51 game played; 5h spent; +19,20$; 1,81% ROI

Then i played daily 30g and some 180man tourney. Busted in 30g, cashed like mincash in 7,7$ 180man tourney. So like 10$ profit for today. Seeing my redicilous luck and how hard variance bite me today i am happy about that result.

Total BR: $1371.37
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      12/05

Sick day again - this time in a uber good way.

Had very busy day and now waiting for guests to come and cook dinner (its our thing here in this new appartment - guests come and cook for us their special food, we all have fun and nice meal :) ). And had some things to do in the morning so i had one small session.

Played 6 games, cashed ALL :D After that i decided to clean appartment and watch some videos before guests arrive.

So stats are:

6 games; 45mins spent; +115,20$; 153,60$/h :D 92,31% ROI :D

Total BR: $1486,57

Graph: