Into the millions (NL BSS SH&FR)

• Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      The Blog

I write this blog to see my evolution in time. And to get feedback that will help me to become a excellent poker player and get my game on.

You will see here plays that I made, graphs with my evolution (in money) and more. My improvement and my bankrolls evolution.

I'm really confident that I'll make it big time!

With determination, passion, discipline and the right support you can do anything.

About Me

I'm 19 years old now, on June 2009, and this is the age I started playing poker to win money. I played a year ago, but for fun.

My interests are Entrepreneurship, Investing and Poker. I would like in the future... to be referred as an Entrepreneur/Investor/Professional Poker Player. For now, poker is a good way to make money. And I like it.

I also like extreme sports. And I love women :) . I like and make friends easily with interesting and successful people, which have passion for what they do and are working hard to make their dreams come true.

I love life. Period.

History

Two years ago, I played on Titan with real money. Money was deposited for free by a similar website like PokerStrategy. I played and lost all of it. I didn't play seriously, I just played for fun, without strategy or knowledge.

One year later, I opened an account on PartyPoker, and played with play money for a time, then I deposited 10$, so I can play for real money. In 2 weeks or less I lost them. That's a year and a half ago.

Meantime, I played a lot of freeroll tournaments. My record on a freeroll tournament is: place 64 from over 6000 players.

In around a year i gathered 80c and joined a cashgame table, and lost it.

Then, a week later I hear about a live tournament in my town from a radio commercial. But the tournament started already and couldn't register. But I went and looked.

This opened my thirst for poker and money.

I, then, deposited 10$ again on PartyPoker. And in a few days, i had 25$. Withdraw my deposited 10$ and I continued playing with the profit.

I was playing on NL5 (the lowest limit at the time, now there is a NL2).

Over the days I made around 60$ my bankroll. One day I won 32$, at the lowest limit. And this just by checking articles on the web about poker. Reading paragraphs from poker books. And watching high stakes poker.

Anyway, then I took a big pause. I just referred a lot of my friends. They registered and ultimately gathered the points for the bonus release. This is how I made a few hundred dollars. In this time I was preoccupied with other things.

Then I found PokerStrategy.com, which I like allot. And got the bonus on Pacific Poker, platform that I don't like.

Because I didn't like the platform, I didn't take the poker serious too. So I played loose and made a lot of unadvised calls. And more. I didn't play by the book, at the maximum potential. And in conclusion i only have 10$ left on 888.

That doesn't bother me. I don't want to release the bonus anymore there, because is to much to play, and I don't like playing there.

Anyway, here is where it all begins! I'm depositing 50$ on pokerstars tonight! And here you will see my evolution. (1 July 2009)

Goals

================================================
      Short Term Goals <1>: (within 2 months) [30 June 2009 - 1 September 2009]

BR of >300$ - DONE!
      moving up to NL10 (when I got 300$) - DONE!
      hit silver status - DONE!

Short Term Goals <2>: (within 2 months) [8 August 2009 - 9 october 2009]

read all BSS articles from bronze (and reread those that I've already read) - DONE!
      X view all BSS FR bronze videos and take notes
      read all psychology articles from bronze - DONE!
      read all BSS FR articles from silver - DONE!
      read all psychology articles from silver - DONE!

Short Term Goals <3>: (1 month) [until the end of November 2009]

gain Platinum status - DONE!

Short Term Goals <4>: [December 2009]

play 70k hands - DONE!
      clearing the remaining $233 bonus from Cake - DONE!
      be in TOP20 of PS promotion - DONE!

Short Term Goals <5>: [February 2010]

get Diamond status - DONE!

Short Term Goals <6>: [June 2010]

150K hands played in a month
      all gold articles read
      25 videos watched

Short Term Goals <7>: [July 2010]

move up to NL100
      get the $250 for the Rush Week promotion

Middle Term Goals <1>: (within 1 to 8 months) [30 June 2009 - 10 March 2010]

get the PokerElephant License - DONE!
      clearing the 50$ bonus from PokerStars - DONE!
      1000$ winnings withdrawal to my visa card - DONE!
      3500$ winnings withdrawal - DONE!
      read "Professional Poker: The Essential Guide to Playing for a Living" - DONE!
      read "Ace on the River" by Barry Greenstein - DONE!

Middle Term Goals <2>: (within 1 to 8 months) [until July 2010]

:diamond: read "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky
      :diamond: read "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players" by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth

Middle Term Goals <3>: (within 1 to 8 months)

read "The Poker Mindset" by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger
      read "Treat Your Poker Like A Business" by Dusty Schmidt

Middle Term Goals <4>: (within 1 to 8 months)

read "Easy Game" vol I & II, by Andrew Seidman (balugawhale)

Long Term Goals: (lifetime) [updated on 16 November 2009]

:diamond: become a Black Member on PokerStrategy
      :diamond: come to, at least, one Black Member Only Party
      :diamond: play in Las Vegas (LAS VEGAS BABY! LAS VEGAS!)
      become a Professional Poker Player
      :diamond: win 1 million $, at least, from Poker
      :diamond: participate in WSOP

Questions

What softwares can I use to improve my game? (Beside PokerElephant)
      Is there a preflop chart for BSS at SH tables?

Contact

PM me for skype id.

And if you want, you can check out my video blog (BrainLeverage), that I have for some time.

Every feedback and recommendation is welcomed and highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers and Good Luck! :heart:

Practice, Practice, Practice!
  • 673 replies
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Everyday I'm more self disciplined and I have a better understanding of the game.

PS: edited old post. I chopped half of it, because of the new first post.

• Vladoo1001
      Vladoo1001
      Bronze
      Don't forget to read all the strategy articles at your disposal...there are some interesting articles about live play as well, so that might help you a bit.
      I wish you luck on your goals and straighten out that loose play, confidence and discipline means a lot in poker. And as far as i can tell you in live games, is that you play your opponents more than you play your cards.
      Salutari din Cluj Napoca, Vlad :p
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice Vladoo1001.

Noroc si salutari din Galati :D

Anyway...

I've started reading Gerv's Blog and Yoghi's blog. Incredible blogs. Congratz!

I've installed PokerElephant and I will put it to work. For the history and graphs for now, not the hud option.

PS: I will update the days to come.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Good luck with ur dreams and with ur goals =)
      Just keep standing on the ground and be realistic, or you gonna get hurt =)
      But of course if you want, everything is possible ;)

Btw i find kinda funny that in ur longterm goals is
      1.Earn 1$ milion
      2.Get elephant license :D

Im sure ull have it in 8 months ;)
      Good luck, maybe one day we gonna meet at Black member party :D
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      You're not playing NL10 yet and already dreaming of millions? Not good! Money shouldn't be the main motivation - it should be your progress!

You say you gonna withdraw $1000 and then $3000?? When you advance to higher limits it's important to do that when you're ready. And you can't do it if you're withdrawing the biggest part of your BR. Set yourself br limits (high and low) which will help you understand what I mean = don't withdraw anything untill NL50. And if you're playing SH tables 30BI is not enough, especially for higher levels.

Other softwares: Poker Tracker3, Holdem Manager.

Good luck!
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      get the pokerelephant licence is below earing 1 million :D
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Thanx everybody for the replies and encouragement!

To make things clear, after I make a withdrawal of 1000$, I will make another of 2500$ later, that totals 3500$.

And the long term goals are not in order. I don't have a time line for the PokerElephant License, I don't know how much time would get to earn it. So I putted it at "long term"

About the million $
      Is not so hard to achieve. Have you heard of Durrrr? Tom Dwan. He started to play poker at 19, to have some spending money during college. And started with 50$ - playing 6$ SNGs. He is only 22 years old now (will be 23 on 30 July 2009). Last year, his total winnings were 5,4 million $.

It's like I said above:
      With determination, passion, discipline and the right support you can do anything.

Other softwares: Poker Tracker3, Holdem Manager.

Isn't PokerTraker3 just like PokerElephant?

OK... Starting Capital (bankroll) 50$

Let the games begin!

Cheers and Good Luck :heart:

PS: will update soon
    • BechorMahluf
      BechorMahluf
      Bronze
      may i ask wat poker elephant or w/e it is,is?lol
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      The Learning Process

Today I learned from the article <<BSS - How to play after the flop>> :
      - to value bet, when I have a good hand
      - to protect my hand, when is a draw heavy board
      - and pot control

Overall I learned when to bet and when not to bet. To get what I want.

When making your decisions after the flop, you need to balance three things ...
      * ... getting the most value for your hand when you're ahead.
      * ... controlling the size of the pot so as not to invest too heavily in weaker hands.
      * ... protecting a vulnerable hand by making the next community card too expensive for your opponent to see.

Whether you're playing before or after the flop, on the turn or on the river, remember these rules:
      * You play tight and can get out of the way when things don't look too good.
      * You play an aggressive, active role in the hand - you don't have a habit of making passive calls.
      * You seek to play in position

This was a good contribution to my skill.

And this article <<BSS - How to play before the flop>>

I learned:
      - what "call20" means (it means that for you to call a raise - the opponent must have at least 20xoriginal raise)
      - how much to bet, raise and reraise (bet 4XBB + 1BB per limper)

("If there was exactly one raise in front of you, reraise 3 times the original raise. "
      and... "If another player has already called the original raise, increase your reraise to 4 times the original raise. If two players have already called, 5 times the original raise, etc. ")

This is basic stuff, but is good to be known. :)

And watched <<No Limit $5 Fullring Session Review>>
      A good learning video. All are, hasenbraten is really doing a great job.

I watched the video with great interest. And learned some useful things.

Practice - Evolution

Here is a graph from todays session: (the day is not over yet, but this is what I did till the present)

I started at one SH table, it worked ok for a while. Then I opened another table. And all the hell broke loose ... I was not playing with strategy, just a very loose, aggressive play. The result... -7 $.

You can see the down swing. Then, when I hit the -7, I stopped playing. I didn't have a preflop chart for SH tables.

So I took a decision. I accessed the site (pokerstrategy) and read <<BSS - How to play before the flop>>. I executed the preflop chart for BSS and then opened just one FR table. (I'm playing FRs now again. And this is were I'll stay for the moment.)

I started playing by the book (the blue arrow indicates the turning point). I had my chart on the left of the screen, and the poker window on the right.

It was working fine, I started to win. Then I opened another table, because it gets boring when you play tight :) (And so you can also multiply your profit.)

Here is a picture of my desktop at the time:

(I have a 24" monitor, so I have space. This is really nice, I don't know how I would have managed with my old one.)

I decided that I will play only two tables, until I memorize the pattern and learn the preflop chart by heart.

Some time later, I did improve. So I started to play 4 tables. I can manage multi-tabling and I find it profitable, if you have a good strategy and plan.

4 tables are easy for me, because I used to play 9 tables on FL - and I really got the hang of it. 4 tables is a piece of cake. But this is the maximum number that I will play. Otherwise, I will not be able to concentrate. Four tables now are like playing one... so I can make the most of it.

I must say, I LOVE PLAYING BY STRATEGY! It's more profitable and stress free.

Ok... 3$... only 999.997$ to go. :D

Played Hands

I have some hands that I want to share. And some that I need feedback from.

#1 A good call.

Known players:
      MP1:
      $3.36
      MP2:
      $2.10
      MP3:
      $0.98
      CO:
      $2.96
      BU:
      $1.06
      SB(Hero):
      $5.24
      BB:
      $0.27

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
      MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, BU raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.22, 3 folds, BU calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.80) 2, 6, A (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, MP1 calls $0.60, BU raises to $0.82, Hero calls $0.22, MP1 calls $0.22.

Turn: ($3.26) 6 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.32, Hero calls $0.32. [Here is where he made the mistake. He made it to cheap for me. ]

River: ($3.90) Q (3 players) [I was hopping for a Q. If a Q didn't hit, I would have check-folded.]
      Hero bets $2.02, MP1 calls $1.98.

Final Pot: $7.90.

Results follow (highlight to see):

MP1 shows two pairs, aces and sixs (Kd Ah)
      BU shows two pairs, aces and sixs (Kh As)
      Hero shows a full-house, queens full of sixs (Qc Qh)
      Hero wins with a full-house, queens full of sixs (Qc Qh).

#2 Was this a good fold?

Known players:
      MP2:
      $3.45
      MP3:
      $5.23
      CO:
      $1.94
      BU:
      $4.36
      SB:
      $3.15
      BB(Hero):
      $5.79
      UTG2:
      $4.97
      MP1:
      $3.85

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 9.
      UTG2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.10) T, 3, A (5 players)
      SB folds, Hero bets $0.10, UTG2 folds, CO folds, BU calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.30) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($0.90) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.38, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back. [I think that he had the flush, and now was representing a bluff. Or he was really bluffing. Anyway, on the moment I placed him on two pairs. It was to big a risk to call that much with a weak A]

Final Pot: $0.90.

That's it for now. I had other interesting hands too, but i was just served, and I didn't have much to do to win. Everything was served on a silver plate :)

Once I had AA and on the flop came two As, my opponent went all in with pocket kings (on the flop), and I took all his money.

And another time a made a straight flush, on the turn. With only one card from my hand, and the 4 community cards.

Questions

*What softwares can I use to improve my game? (Beside PokerElephant)
      *Is there a preflop chart for BSS at SH tables?
      +

*If i double up at a table should I exit and join another table, with maximum allowed?

[It happens often that I have double the maximum at a table. Today, after winning some pots, and playing not to many hands, with the stack of 9$ I was thinking that. Everybody knew me there, and knew I play solid and tight. So this was my image, I didn't get much action after. On the other side, it was more easy to win pots and bluff.)

I reformulate the question - Should I leave the table and join a new one after a period of time? (join a knew table, where I'm new to everyone?)

Cheers and Good Luck :heart:

PS: I'll be back :)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNL8L6EyIRs (funny video)
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      Goals

Short Term Goals <1>: (within 1 to 8 months) [30 June 2009]

clearing the 50$ bonus from PokerStars
      moving up to NL10 (when I got 300$)
      hit silver status
      1000$ winnings withdrawal to my visa card
      3500$ winnings withdrawal
      read "Internet Texas Holdem: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro"
      "Professional Poker: The Essential Guide to Playing for a Living"

(will be updated... in the Short Term Goals <2>)

Long Term Goals: (lifetime) [updated on 30 June 2009]

become a Black Member on PokerStrategy
      come to, at least, one Black Member Only Party
      play in Las Vegas (LAS VEGAS BABY! LAS VEGAS!)
      become a Professional Poker Player
      win 1 million $, at least, from Poker
      get the PokerElephant License

Place gettig the elephant licence at short term.

And what you said about Tom Dwan its ture. But remember the houndreds of thousends of other who hasn't earned 1 million from poker.

Would place a life time goal like "Win 10 000$ from cash games"
      or "Win a price of over 10 000$ in a tourney"
      or something like that.

I am not breaking your dreams, I am not saying you can't do it. All I am saying is that few people can. ;)

Good luck
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Do you have two wired connections? so if your net dies you have a backup?
    • Sale1337
      Sale1337
      Bronze
      Hey, just went through the hands you posted. Well first of all, the first hand was played like crap- like a donk to be honest. I made some calculations, and you had on a turn 6,5 to 1 pot odds, when you need 22,5:1 if you want to justify that call. as far as I am concerned, donks donk bluff raise and than lead on turn so small with nothing. So we can be sure he has an ace there. But you were chasing 2outer way too far in my opinion. So hand 1 not well played
      Hand 2
      Nice thinking, although the way he played his hand, looks like a flush to me aor a very strong ace, not the 2 pair.All in all good fold.

Well that's my opninon on those hands, will keep an eye on you blog and cya
    • promofree
      promofree
      Bronze
      Very nice blog! Good structure, good dreams, its never bad to set huge goals, as long as you keep your head on your shoulders. Those who are pesimistic and claim to be realistic, well, they're just never gonna get far. I'm going to follow your blog as a fellow countryman.
      By the way, me and you , are pretty much alike. I will soon open a blog too.

P.S. : Vezi ca ti-am dat add la adresa de mail pe mess, sper ca ai si mess, sa vorbim , ca avem despre ce ;) . Multa multa bafta si toate cele bune! ;)
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      may i ask wat poker elephant or w/e it is,is?lol
      Poker Elephant is a tool that gathers all your poker hands from your history. And it shows you, how much you have made and more. Check it up here.

Do you have two wired connections? so if your net dies you have a backup?
      No. I don't.

I saw that at PokerStars if you are disconnected, it won't be as if you pushed all in, what you bet before, like on PartyPoker. Here the hand will be folded. And I think that sucks, if you're playing a high limit and have a good hand.

What solutions do I have? That I could implement right away.

Hey, just went through the hands you posted. Well first of all, the first hand was played like crap- like a donk to be honest. I made some calculations, and you had on a turn 6,5 to 1 pot odds, when you need 22,5:1 if you want to justify that call. as far as I am concerned, donks donk bluff raise and than lead on turn so small with nothing. So we can be sure he has an ace there. But you were chasing 2outer way too far in my opinion. So hand 1 not well played
      Hand 2
      Nice thinking, although the way he played his hand, looks like a flush to me aor a very strong ace, not the 2 pair.All in all good fold.
      Thanx for the feedback.

After reading your post, I made some calculations myself with the Poker Equilator. And there was only around 5% chance that I'll hit the Q. On the moment I didn't thought I had so little chances and I knew that he had an A, but I hoped :) and got lucky.

It's good to know for the future.

Multa multa bafta si toate cele bune!
      Mersi la fel. Vorbim.

*I moved ^get the PokerElephant License^ goal to short term. I think I can get it in less then 8 months. Thanx for the info and suggestion.

First Day Overall - Evolution

I continued playing today. Here is the graph for 1/July/2009 :

Winnings = 9$

And I made 2 FPP too. You gain 1 FPP on PokerStars when the rake in a hand is $0.40 or more. 2 FPP = 1 SP :)

I decided to move up to NL10 when I'll have 100$ total.
      That's 10 BIs. Like I have now on NL5.

One mistake of mine, that I got rid of, was that I played cash games like a tournament - in the sens that I was speeding up the game. Stressed that the blinds will go up again. But in cash-games the blinds stays the same, so there is no need to hurry.

Patience and self discipline are the solution.

I'm happy that I improved on this side.

Played Hands

#3 Big fish.

So here is this guy who has 3$... and started to go all in once in two hands. He managed to win a hand with 67s (an all in, against a KQo). And won another beside this one. In rest, just folds from the rest of the players. He also provoked other players on the chat.

I was placed to his right, and very happy about the situation :)

I wanted to get a good hand so I can call him. And so I did!
      Like torunament play... he could be having anything, so an A is the nuts.

Here is the hand:

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $6.67
      MP1:
      $0.22
      MP2:
      $0.35
      MP3:
      $2.06
      CO:
      $4.18
      BU:
      $1.17
      SB:
      $3.06
      BB(Hero):
      $4.96

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 5.
      UTG2 raises to $6.67(All-In), MP1 calls $0.22(All-In), 5 folds, Hero calls $4.94(All-In).

Flop: ($11.86) A, 7, 8 (3 players)

Turn: ($11.86) J (3 players)

River: ($11.86) K (3 players)

Final Pot: $11.86.

Hero shows a pair of aces (Ad 5d)
      UTG2 shows a pair of kings (Th Kd)
      MP1 shows a pair of aces (9d Ac)
      MP1 wins with a pair of aces (9d Ac).

I then, typed "ty :) " in the chat box. He didn't respond. And stopped with the all ins.

#4 How to get more $?

Known players:
      CO(Hero):
      $4.91
      BU:
      $3.46
      SB:
      $1.08
      BB:
      $1.38
      UTG2:
      $2.27
      MP1:
      $2.66
      MP2:
      $2.81
      MP3:
      $5.20

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.04, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, 2 folds, BB calls $0.14, MP1 calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.49) 5, 9, K (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.89) T (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.49) 2 (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $4.25(All-In), MP1 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.49.

He really thought about it. And came to the conclusion that he was beat. Should I've been more aggressive on the flop and turn, would I have won more money in this hand? I tried to make it seem like a bluff on the river.

The flop and turn were risk free, and I loved the river. I wanted him to catch something so he could pay me.

That was my thinking process at the time.

Questions

How do I choose and find the most profitable tables? What indicates that is fishy there?

• aaalbinoo
      aaalbinoo
      Bronze
      if ur playing at NL2 5$ its too much o.0 you should sit with 2$ to play BS orlike 0.20 if ur playing a SSS, then its 5$ for NL5 then 10 NL10 ( all for BSS ) but 5$ for a NL2 it may possible to do that when you feel good with your postflop skills plus that you know theirs a lot of fish in NL2 which are too much deep as you.

then call a like 250BB push with Top pair and 5 as kicker is such a freaking EV---- thing

(ps: im from the french side of PS :P so my language may being bad :) )
    • Essian
      Essian
      Bronze
      [QUOTE]

#4 How to get more $?

Known players:
      CO(Hero):
      $4.91
      BU:
      $3.46
      SB:
      $1.08
      BB:
      $1.38
      UTG2:
      $2.27
      MP1:
      $2.66
      MP2:
      $2.81
      MP3:
      $5.20

UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.04, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, 2 folds, BB calls $0.14, MP1 calls $0.12.

[/quote]

Pretty badly played, right way would be to bet bet bet on every street to maximise value with that hand.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by Essian
      [QUOTE]

#4 How to get more $?

Known players:
      CO(Hero):
      $4.91
      BU:
      $3.46
      SB:
      $1.08
      BB:
      $1.38
      UTG2:
      $2.27
      MP1:
      $2.66
      MP2:
      $2.81
      MP3:
      $5.20

[/quote]

Pretty badly played, right way would be to bet bet bet on every street to maximise value with that hand.[/quote]+1 and you don't need to give them freecards to catch up with you when you only have TPTK because often they will have a pair or something and when they catch something, they beat you.

Good luck!
    • Sale1337
      Sale1337
      Bronze

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $6.67
      MP1:
      $0.22
      MP2:
      $0.35
      MP3:
      $2.06
      CO:
      $4.18
      BU:
      $1.17
      SB:
      $3.06
      BB(Hero):
      $4.96

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 5.
      UTG2 raises to $6.67(All-In), MP1 calls $0.22(All-In), 5 folds, Hero calls $4.94(All-In).

Flop: ($11.86) A, 7, 8 (3 players)

Turn: ($11.86) J (3 players)

River: ($11.86) K (3 players)

Final Pot: $11.86.

Hero shows a pair of aces (Ad 5d)
      UTG2 shows a pair of kings (Th Kd)
      MP1 shows a pair of aces (9d Ac)
      MP1 wins with a pair of aces (9d Ac).

I then, typed "ty :) " in the chat box. He didn't respond. And stopped with the all ins.

#4 How to get more $?

Known players:
      CO(Hero):
      $4.91
      BU:
      $3.46
      SB:
      $1.08
      BB:
      $1.38
      UTG2:
      $2.27
      MP1:
      $2.66
      MP2:
      $2.81
      MP3:
      $5.20

He really thought about it. And came to the conclusion that he was beat. Should I've been more aggressive on the flop and turn, would I have won more money in this hand? I tried to make it seem like a bluff on the river.

The flop and turn were risk free, and I loved the river. I wanted him to catch something so he could pay me.

That was my thinking process at the time.

Questions

How do I choose and find the most profitable tables? What indicates that is fishy there?

ok first of all stop playing on NL5 tables, because with your understanding of the game, you can beat NL2, NL5 but with BRM-bankroll managment that is. The vaience will crush you, so if you want to go broke, pls move up to NL25 and tell me which table are you on so I can stack you off.
      If you don't want to go broke, play by the BRM-30buy ins for each lvl. I would rly rly rly strongly recommend you to memmorize the SHC, and play minimum of 6tables. BY that I mean you play 2 tables for an hour, or two, untill you get a feel for the table. Than you add another one and another one etc etc.
      At NL2 all tables are fishy, the only tzhing I did at that lvl was trying to find as much bigstacks as possible.

Hands:
      Hand no1, obviously shows you have to learn a ton, you don't shove A5 ever ever (unless in MTT or SNG shortstacked, but that is other area) So fold preflop
      Hand no2: call flop seems ok with me (could raise it obv), but would raise the turn for sure. I can see soooooooo many worse kings or some str8 draws and stuff. If you feel like you have the best hand, which is quite obv. after the river, bet like half pot to extract some more value, although it looks like he would here anyways (2 is a total blank even for his range).

Stick to BRM, and play more tables

Cya
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      [quote]
      Pretty badly played, right way would be to bet bet bet on every street to maximise value with that hand.

+1 and you don't need to give them freecards to catch up with you when you only have TPTK because often they will have a pair or something and when they catch something, they beat you.[/QUOTE]
      I was thinking when posting that he could've had QQ, JJ or a weak K, something like that.

Roger that. Thank you both for the feedback.

Hand no2: call flop seems ok with me (could raise it obv), but would raise the turn for sure. I can see soooooooo many worse kings or some str8 draws and stuff. If you feel like you have the best hand, which is quite obv. after the river, bet like half pot to extract some more value, although it looks like he would here anyways (2 is a total blank even for his range).
      Thanx for the feedback.

So the right play is reraise on the turn, then value bet on the river.

*Ok. I'll stick with the 30BIs rule. I see that everyone really values it, so it must be important. :)

2 July 2009 - Evolution

Today I only played a 2h session. I don't have the time right now to play full-time, so I will only part-time till September.

Here is todays graph:

It looks like the shape of a city from a distance :)

The day's session starts with the green line.

Profit/Loss = -$1
      +2 FFP

I didn't play at my best today. But I'm learning.

Played Hands

I like the feedback from the hands that I've posted. So today I noted some more interesting hands.

#5 Well played.

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $1.80
      MP1:
      $0.99
      MP2(Hero):
      $4.74
      MP3:
      $1.00
      CO:
      $4.90
      BU:
      $2.65
      SB:
      $6.24
      BB:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, A.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BU raises to $0.5, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.52, BU raises to $2.65(All-In), Hero calls $1.13.

Flop: ($5.33) 3, K, 2 (2 players)

Turn: ($5.33) 9 (2 players)

River: ($5.33) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.33.

Hero shows a pair of aces (Ac Ad)
      BU shows a pair of queens (Qs Qh)
      Hero wins with a pair of aces (Ac Ad).

#6 Not raising preflop.

Known players:
      MP2:
      $3.90
      MP3:
      $1.93
      CO:
      $0.66
      BU:
      $5.04
      SB:
      $1.57
      BB(Hero):
      $4.98
      MP1:
      $0.90

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A.
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.06) 7, 7, 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.26) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, MP2 raises to $0.32, Hero raises to $0.98, MP2 raises to $1.64, Hero raises to $4.86, MP2 calls $2.14.

River: ($8.90) 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.90.

Hero shows a flush, ace high (Qs As)
      MP2 shows a full-house, sevens full of nines (7d 9h)
      MP2 wins with a full-house, sevens full of nines (7d 9h).

The SHC says to just call the BB from Blinds position with AQ/AJ/AT, when someone called. From now on I'm raising with AQs and AJs when in blinds, like in the hand above.

#7 All in preflop

Known players:
      BU:
      $2.99
      SB:
      $1.41
      BB(Hero):
      $5.29
      MP1:
      $1.86
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $3.65
      CO:
      $2.32

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
      3 folds, CO raises to $0.06, BU folds, SB raises to $1.41(All-In), Hero raises to $5.29, CO folds.

Flop: ($6.76) 3, 5, 9 (2 players)

Turn: ($6.76) 5 (2 players)

River: ($6.76) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $6.76.

Hero shows two pairs, kings and fives (Kc Kh)
      SB shows two pairs, jacks and fives (Jc Jh)
      Hero wins with two pairs, kings and fives (Kc Kh).

I reraised all in so I could be HU with the SB.

#8 Bad play.

Known players:
      BU(Hero):
      $6.09
      SB:
      $5.09
      BB:
      $1.59
      UTG2:
      $6.11
      MP1:
      $2.22
      MP2:
      $3.79
      MP3:
      $2.03
      CO:
      $1.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, 6.
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.1, CO calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.33) K, A, 4 (3 players)
      MP3 bets $0.08, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.26, MP3 calls $0.18.

Turn: ($0.85) 5 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10.

River: ($1.05) 5 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.6, MP3 calls $0.50.

Final Pot: $2.25.

Hero shows two pairs, sixs and fives (6s 6c)
      MP3 shows two pairs, kings and fives (Kc 7d)
      MP3 wins with two pairs, kings and fives (Kc 7d).

I knew that he had a weak hand, but didn't deliver the bluff right. Should reraise on the turn $0.52.

On the flop I represented an A, but then represented that I don't have a A, but probably a K or a lower pair - and that the 5 didn't help (the first mistake). Then with the second 5, i reraised him - and if he had me on a K, he called, because we both would have the same hand KK55A (second mistake)

#9 I can fold Aces.

Known players:
      MP3(Hero):
      $5.45
      CO:
      $4.99
      BU:
      $3.48
      SB:
      $5.97
      BB:
      $2.04
      MP1:
      $1.10
      MP2:
      $2.38

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A.
      MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, 3 folds, BB calls $0.22, MP2 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.73) J, 3, J (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 bets $0.46, Hero folds, BB folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.73.

At the moment is seemed a good fold. But now, I'm having second thoughts - if he had a J shouldn't he bet a smaller amount so I could call or even raise? Because I was the aggressor preflop.

#10 Good checkout reraise.

Known players:
      BU:
      $0.48
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $3.99
      UTG1:
      $1.07
      UTG2:
      $1.42
      MP1:
      $3.98
      MP2:
      $0.97
      MP3(Hero):
      $5.45
      CO:
      $0.50

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, J.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.1, CO calls $0.10, BU folds, SB calls $0.09, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.42) T, K, 5 (4 players)
      SB bets $0.06, UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, CO folds, SB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.48.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks (J J)
      Hero wins with a pair of jacks (J J).

I have a question. At every hand that I won without the showdown... at the result is written "Hero shows ...". Does that mean that I'm showing every hand that I win? Or that's the way the PokerElephant is showing the results? (please look at your hand history and check this out)

#11 Was this a good fold?

Known players:
      BU:
      $5.15
      SB:
      $1.02
      BB:
      $2.98
      UTG1(Hero):
      $5.91
      UTG2:
      $1.95
      MP1:
      $4.97
      MP2:
      $1.00
      MP3:
      $2.89
      CO:
      $1.29

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with J, J.
      Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.08, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 3, 5, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, MP3 calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.43) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP3 raises to $2.69(All-In), Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.73.

#12 A disastrous call.

Known players:
      MP3:
      $5.15
      CO:
      $1.01
      BU:
      $2.95
      SB(Hero):
      $5.39
      BB:
      $1.95
      UTG2:
      $4.97
      MP1:
      $3.37
      MP2:
      $2.22

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 2 folds, BU calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.14, BB calls $0.12, MP2 calls $0.12, BU calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.56) 8, Q, 6 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.32, BB calls $0.32, MP2 folds, BU calls $0.32.

Turn: ($1.52) 3 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, BB raises to $1.49(All-In), BU raises to $2.49(All-In), Hero calls $1.49.

River: ($7.99) 5 (3 players)

Final Pot: $7.99.

Hero shows a pair of aces (Ac Ad)
      BU shows three of a kind, queens (Qc Qh)
      BB shows three of a kind, sixs (6h 6c)
      BU wins with three of a kind, queens (Qc Qh).

I had the feeling. But couldn't fold.
      Next time I know.

Questions

It's ok to call an all in with KK, if someone preflop suddenly goes all in?
      (It happened today at a table, I was not involved in the hand, but I observed. This guy who hardly ever got in a hand suddenly pushes all in from EP, and another guy calls, I fold. The all-in guy got AA and win, the other player had Kings.)

PS: I will update weekly from now on.