My First Downswing! And it sucks...

• 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      What I'm about to share are are bad beats I know everyone's taken. I'm not looking for sympathy. I just want to share with some people who can empathize.

Over the last 6k hands I've lost and made back $400 twice...and now I've just lost $400 again. I can't get over $1,500 for the life of me. I can't believe over 6k hands I haven't gotten anything going. It's like Full Tilt has the doomswitch set.

The worst was tonight I got back up to $1,494 and got it all in with top pair against middle pair...two cards away from being back in the profit! And the donkey makes trips on the turn. It was all downhill from there. Suckout after suckout. Set over set. AA cracked by AK. Losing every coin flip...but not until the river (I lost 5 in a row, which was a sweet $200 right there). Having donkeys reraise my JJ's, QQ's, and KK's with A high on the flop and then hitting their A on the river!!!!

Also, I raised in early position with JJ, got reraised by another short stacker in middle pos, who I was going to call until -- the button 3-bet all in! So I tanked and mucked my JJ. Of course the short stacker had AK, and the button 3-bet with freaking AQ!!!!! Who does that with AQ after a early position raise and a reraise?!?!??! And a J came right on the flop. I would've tripled up and been almost back at even!

I've never bitched before but I've never had a downswing happen over and over. Since Saturday, I've sat down and said, "I can't always go on a downswing." But I can! And the worst part is, my worst sessions were the ones I played my most solid poker! That's what makes me so freaking insane. Thank God for rakeback. At least I'll get something for my troubles.

I'm still up $100 from the $1k I started with, plus the rakeback I'm getting on Friday, will put me right back where I was last Friday. Assuming I don't lose even more tomorrow :-P.

For the record, I hope this never happens to any of you.
  • 28 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I feel for you mate, I don't play as high a stake as you but I have had some awful swings and they hurt.

One saw me plummet back to only $30.... And that was emotional and motivationally crippling, I took a break for a few days, and just pottered around the forum and if I really felt I wanted to play poker, I went and played a low stakes game of stud. I almost quit playing poker completely after that last swing, but when I did decide to return, I readjusted my goals and added at least one hour learning a day as well, and now I couldn't be happier with my play, still make the odd marginal call, but I can honestly say my play increased by about 400% after that DS. Maybe it's because of how I felt and I don't want to go that way again I don't know.

I hope you pull through and your swing improves for the better shortly, good luck, also hope all them donkeys that suck out on you are still sat at the tables ready to boost your BR once it's over. :)

Danny
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      I feel for ya fella. Going through the same "I will not bitch about variance" headspace at the moment myself! :f_ugly:

It's all just part of the game I guess. Best of luck dealing with it! :f_thumbsup:
    • 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      Thanks for the inspiration Waiboy!

Wouldn't ya know, before the ink is even dry on my last post, I get it all in with AK against A7 and right on the flop is a 7! And then I get it all in AA against KK and a K hits on the river!! Wow...I'm going a little crazy. I'm now down to my original starting 1k (I actually dropped from 1.1k to 900 but now I'm back to 1k). That's all I can do for tonight. It's not even funny. I'm gonna have to play for 4 days just to get back to where I was (assuming I achieve my expectation of 1ptbb/100, which at this point is laughable).
    • 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      Thanks MrMardy.

Dude, I know what u mean. Crippling is the right word for it. I definitely need to sleep on it and get back to the tables in an optimistic mindset.

Good luck to you as well. And you're right. The short term luck is what keeps the donkeys around to make the same mistake next time.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Don't worry about it... I am at the same profit I was 10,000 hands ago.... oh well. Got myself to blame for it too though.. nice little donkey plays I pulled off sometimes... but I am also running like 80$ under EV or something like that which adds to it of course.

Am swinging by 130$ up and down for those 10k hands.

By the way what stakes do you play? Because I am also swinging from 1,060$ to 920$.... stuff like that and I cannot make that much up or down in a day 6 tabling NL20.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      i know the feeling :( im down to like 33 dollars! i had to move down to 0.02 / 0.04 cent stakes!!!!! :f_cry:
    • 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      Hey Dragar,

I play 200NL.

You're playing 20NL with 1k in your bankroll? Are you playing full stack?

The plus side is I've got over $200 in rakeback coming to me ($109 tomorrow plus already $137 for next week and I've still got today and the whole weekend to earn more) so I'm trying to keep on the bright side.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Wait a sec.. NL200 with 1k BR? I guess we're talking SSS. So this is nothing :tongue:
    • 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      Lol. Thanks for some perspective, Fongie.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah I am playing BSS SH.

Little update: I dropped 200$ now.

Coolers and bad beats just keep on coming. I just lost AK vs AK lol... love it.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar

Snap....

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3(Hero):
      $9.25
      CO:
      $9.25
      BU:
      $14.50
      SB:
      $10.75
      BB:
      $10.00
      UTG1:
      $95.85
      UTG2:
      $50.00
      MP1:
      $13.95
      MP2:
      $53.45

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, K.
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $2.5, 2 folds, SB raises to $10.75(All-In), 2 folds, Hero calls $6.75(All-In).

Flop: ($21.00) 6, 2, 5 (2 players)

Turn: ($21.00) K (2 players)

River: ($21.00) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $21.00.

Results follow:

SB shows a flush, ace high (A K)
      Hero shows a pair of kings (A K)
      SB wins with a flush, ace high (A K).

Lol, did make me laugh though.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global

I am very suprised you have last 10k hands with a five buy in bank roll. you will loose it all imo.
      I would say you need around 8-10k before BSSing $200NL

One more thing you are not in a downswing you are having a breakeven run and you should be happy with that.

I advise you to drop down to $20NL before you bust your roll and believe me you WILL!
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac

I am very suprised you have last 10k hands with a five buy in bank roll. you will loose it all imo.
      I would say you need around 8-10k before BSSing $200NL

One more thing you are not in a downswing you are having a breakeven run and you should be happy with that.

I advise you to drop down to $20NL before you bust your roll and believe me you WILL!
      Uhm.. your confusing me with him.
      I am the NL20 BSS dude
      He is the NL200 SSS dude

:tongue:
    • 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      Sigh. Ok. I am now officially, completely shattered. No more confidence whatsoever.

I can't win a freakin' coinflip to save my life. Like, I raise utg w AK, get reraised by 55! Who does that?!?! I flop the nut flush draw and two overs and can't hit.

I flop an open-ended straight flush draw and my raise gets called by K high--K freaking high!--and I can't hit. Not even a damn pair in his hand. And it's not like these raises are small.

It never ends. I can't win. I am positive I will be down to $600 by the end of the day. My first session I just finished at $898. I started with $1076. Oh yeah, and that $898 includes the $123 I just got in rakeback. So I dropped another $300 today.

Are there any winning players who have dropped from $1.5k to $600?!?! In how many hands? Can this go for 30k hands? I've never had a downswing like this. I can lose $300 in 1k hands but I sure as hell can't win $30 freaking dollars in 10k hands to save my life.

Hopefully the play will be so bad on Saturday and Sunday I can make something back. Anything.

ps- is there anyone interested in sweating my session for maybe an hour or two?
    • 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      True enough, I'm down to $570, so I'll start playing .50/1 tomorrow. Can't win enough hands for the life of me to show a profit. I started today with 1.2k if you include rakeback, and now I'm down to $570.

Against an early position raiser, and my reraise, I got called by the button with 33! And I lost of course. Then the next hand there was a raiser, a caller, and I pushed all in with my QQ. They both called w A10 and 44 respectively. A 4 hit on the turn.

I looked up the guy who called with the 33 on Tableratings. Yeah, he's lost 4k. The guy who called with the 44, he's down 8k. But here I am, and I'm down almost 1k since damn Wednesday and I can't win against complete idiots!!!!!! I used to think I wanted idiots at my table.

If I stop now and wait til I get my rakeback, I'll only be down $230 (I'll be back up to $770), so technically I could take the week off and keep playing at 1/2 next Friday, but I want to at least be making rakeback. The funny thing is, I seriously don't think the game is any harder at 1/2 then .50/1. People make bad calls of shoves ALL the time. I'm just losing them all.

The final nail on the coffin was when I reraised with my set of Jacks on the flop, got called by A high, and he hit runner runner to make a flush.

I am officially on the pity pot.

I swear to God, I'm playing the SSS, occasionally opening up cause I originally played BSS. So say, if someone raises my blind I'll come over the top with something like AQ, pocket 9's or 10's, even though SSS says to fold those to a raise. Those hands are just too good against a late position raiser to fold. But that's it!

I'm in shock. I seriously cannot believe how I've ran. I thought if I bitched about it, got it out of my system, things would turn around. It's always turned around before. But it hasn't. Nothing's changing. Absolutely nothing. Now, when I get it in with KK against Ax, I don't even expect to win. I hold my breath like I'm the one who should be worried.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      I've at this very moment played 30k hands of NLSH breakeven. It sucks. You're not alone ;)

Can't swear that I'm a winning player though obviously :tongue:
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      be sure to move down, you were using a very agressive brm before this ( When I shortstacked my plan was to wait to have $4k to start nl200sss ) I don't know if you moved down but 1000 are 25 bi so I think every winning player has lost that at some point.

btw I'm currently losing over 10 stacks playing plo25sh , altough my ev line says I'm a 5bb/100 winner :f_biggrin: the good thing is that with a nitty brm It sucks but doesn't hurt.
    • 28renton
      28renton
      Bronze
      Hey Alejandrosh,

Yup, I'll be moving down a limit tomorrow, bright and early. Hopefully the casual Saturday players will help me turn things around by donating to my cause. That's my plan.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 28renton
      Hey Alejandrosh,

Yup, I'll be moving down a limit tomorrow, bright and early. Hopefully the casual Saturday players will help me turn things around by donating to my cause. That's my plan.
      Drop down to NL50, I'll be at the tables and ready to ease your chips into my BR ;)

Lol, just kidding, good luck, hope it turns round for you.

Danny