• 89 replies
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      GL I did not think anyone can go pro with SSS but prove me wrong
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Hey Drawback, welcome to the PS blogosphere :)

U have set some really high goals for yourself here, which is commendable. Personally I believe no one thing can be done the right way without setting good goals and commitment to the path which will take u to those goals. However going pro with a small bankroll will prove to be extremly difficult. I'm not sure what urs is, but I would not attempt it with anything less then 2k$ or more. While a poker player can earn a lot of money in a period of time he can also lose a lot in another period of time, even taking him under the value of his original bankroll sometimes. This is something that one has to be ready for and it is a must to have a solid bankroll which can absorb periods of negative income.

One of the moto's I have been using throught my own poker career is "never play poker with the money which is essential for your survival." I understand ur financial situation is uncertain but I would strongly advise u to build a bankroll worth over 100Buyins of the limit on which u plan to play. This way u will always have a good buffer. I also make it a point not to move limits until I have 100buyins for the next limit as well. Granted I play SnGs but the same principle should apply for cash games, since there are more and more aggressive players even at the micro/low cash tables.

Another advice I would like to offer to u is to use as much time as u can to learn about poker, the strategy u plan to use at the tables and reviewing ur own play. I do my best to do so at least 2hrs every day. Watch videos, reread articles, make contacts with other player on PS that play the way u do, search for knowledge elsewhere... this is the most +EV thing u can do for ur long term income.

I hope some of this helps u on ur way. I wish u the very best of luck and I hope u really will invest the patience and effort to become a true poker pro :)
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      Thank you. I was inspired by a saying : There are no limits in your life, except those which u set for yourself. :)
      U r right, my bankroll isn't really big atm. Thanks for advice atoks. I will get those 100 BB at my level. Until that moment, i will cashout less money, so that my br kept growing with a great speed.

I already study a lot. I read articles, learn from VODs and so on. I don't analyse my sessions very often though. I guess, i should start doing that.

Thank you again. U really helped me :)
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Leave Stars, the rakeback is about 7% with silverstars and if you want to go pro than you will lose out on large amounts of money.

Pokerstrategy is very bad for RB deals, but you still have RB for Cake, Betfair, PokerHeaven and some others.

I strongly suggest you move there if your primary goal is money and come back to Pokerstars when you are capable of making Supernova (30% RB roughly)
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      i would suggest you playing in FTP. THe rakeback is very good and the software is awesome for multitabling. The rake is kinda big but with 27%rakeback the deal is good
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      With platinum star you get about 21% rakeback at Pokerstars. For that VIP status you need to play about 38k hands at NL50.
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      I play at FTP too, but BR there is about 5 $. Thank you. Will think about Cake poker and others with rakeback deals too.
      I'm planning to cashout money from PS at the end of the month, and leave only as much as needed for NL25, and make deposits in FTP because of the rakeback - to play NL25, and to make deposits in New poker sites to clear bonuses and for rakeback deals. Thank you, guys ;) .
      I also have one more goal - get elephant license. I'm sorry i didn't register at pokerstars with PS code, so i will follow your suggestions.
      :)
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      So, today i'll tell you about my success during the period of June. Here are the dates up to 7th of June. I know i haven't paid attention to BB and BI i've won/lost, but that's only on these days. so here we go:
      1. 68.85 $ : 200 VPP
      2. + 31.15 $ :
      3. + 34.85 $ :
      4. + 30.05 $ :
      5. xxxxx
      6. - 25.00 $ :

Today I started played ~ 2.5 h and got only, 3,x BI. ~ 17,80 $ per 2189 hands. Got used to playing 9 tables. Not so hard actually.

Got Silver Star VIP status.
      Next goal for June - getting Gold Star VIP Status
    • MaCe90
      MaCe90
      Bronze
      Nice blog, my situation is amazingly identical with yours, I will soon open a blog, the only difference is that I will try to play SnG for the beginning. I wish you the best of luck!
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      Thanks for the support :)
      I will be a regular visitor of your new blog. Looking forward to see it ;)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Good luck going pro mate! Keep improving yourself because that's the real key to success!

Gerv
    • waiting
      waiting
      Silver
      good luck, what is your screen on stars? it is important not to take too much care of winnings than a really good play. so keep improving ...
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      Thank you waiting. I know that, and i keep improving my game all the time.
      Screen name is woxix. ;)
    • hongchang
      hongchang
      Bronze
      hi drawback,

its nice to see another SSS player on pokerstars. I play there too, but didn't have much sucess at the NL25 level. I'm playing 5 tables at once.

I think ur winrate is good... how did u do it?

Do u stick 100% to the SSS in pokerstrategy, or do u mix it up with some of ur own stuff? do u use any poker software like elephant to help u make decisions too? thanks.
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      Hi hongchang,
      I stick with SSS, but sometimes i use a little bit wider hand range. It's risky, but sometimes it's a big + sometimes a huge -. Let's say AQ from early pos. I sometimes limp with that kind of a hand. And i also sometimes limp with low pocket pairs because i've always thought that sets are the most difficult to read. That's just my opinion. They are really profitable. I know that the odds to catch it are about ~ 11 %, but it pays back when the set is caught. That's just for me ofcourse.
      I also played 6 tables all the time. Now i'm getting used to 9.
      I use elephant only for graphs and hand reviews as i haven't got the license yet and i can see only begginer stats. When i'll get the license, i will use stats of course.
      :)
      Until thursday, i'll play MTTs and SNGs, because im at my girlfriends house these days. I also consider myself as a profitable sng and mtt player. Couple of first places in mtts is good imo. I'm playing in some MTTs atm. Will post later how the session ended :)
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      So i played:
      1) 4.40 $ sng with 180 players. Lost with AK vs AQ while being a shortstack.
      2) 3 $ 5.000 $ guaranteed. Slowplayed K10 at flop 5JQ, turn 9, river j. Opponent showed 55, so i was almost out. And then lost.
      3) But i played some DoNs and SNGs. Tried out 10 $ sng, and placed 1st. + 45 $

A total of +50 $ per 2.5 h.
      I play really good if i play them rarely.

Will play some more tournaments, while my girlfriend is having her driving lessons :f_love:
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Oh dear, just don't go mad when you hit your downswing...
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      Everything is allright with my nerves Primzi, thank you. I have caught enough of them and i have had many lessons during my poker career. Like never play when totally drunk or high. One time lost my 120$ bankroll at fulltilt. Played 20 $ 30 $ and so on tournaments. Next morning woke up and was horrified. Now i don't do such things. I play only when i really feel like playing. And tilting isn't a huge problem for me too. However, i won't say that i've never tilted. That would be lie though. To sum up, i know how to deal with downswings.

Just played another session of about <1 hr. +33 $. Placed 2nd in 10$ sng.
      :P
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      I believe you, it's just that a 1 month downswing when you really need money (happenned to me, bye bye BM party and a few other things) can really fuck your moral up :( . I wish you don't get one any time soon though ;) .