Fresh Start

• greengolfkid
      greengolfkid
      Bronze
      Hi there, I have been a member of the site for a while now but never visited the forum. I am waiting for 50 bucks tell-a-friend bonus i have built up over the last year.

So far I am rubbish at poker. Very good and tight for long periods which can pay off, followed by reckless impatience resulting in large losses.

I intend to make a fresh start from scratch. I have just started reading the articles again from the beginning and realise where the faults lay. Too many starting hands and too much speculative calling (paying for cards).

I also intend to start using the forum. I estimate that I have put over $500 into various poker rooms but always end up blowing the lot. My goal is to us the $50 i have at the moment along with the 50 tell-a-friend bonus and turn it into $500 by the end of the year.

Do you think this is possible? I feel quite confident having read the articles again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reading material or videos or any advice really?
  • 6 replies
    • Wizard101
      Wizard101
      Bronze
      Hi greengolfkid

Welcome, that target is totally achievable, just follow strict bankroll management and limit that ammount of recklessness (tilt) that follows a bad beat or dry spell. you really need to start at the cash games 0.05/0.10 playing sss with a 2$ buy in. From there you will start to develop ur sss and can switch to bss at the same limit once you have an idea of how to play less premium hands in more trickier situations. Im no expert, im on a similar path to urself, but using the same strategy i have turned £35 into £150 over the last few weeks so it is totally feesible.

I recommend to follow the starting hand requirement religously to begin with and start from there. Also start playing for shorter sessions, perhaps an hour a time with breaks inbetween to ensure that dont become impatient or bored as well as give you time to reflect on ur good and bad plays. selfd analysis and improvement is essential.

Anyhow hope this helps. i have a blog similar to this one so hit me up if you need any advice
    • greengolfkid
      greengolfkid
      Bronze
      Well thanks for the advice, I started the night with just under $20 on FT. Because of the bankroll deficiency and my tendency to waver from the rules of the SSS I played NL5. I hit 5 double ups and a few losses and a few nice flops giving me easy continuation bets worth making and came away with just over $23 at the end of the session.

I have made more in this period of time but at all times my bankroll is in danger of dwindling to the rediculously low. One bad beat and its all over(one tilted hand and its all over LOL).

I feel confident and have started to be able to fold the speculative drawing hands almost painlessly.

I plan to move to NL10 when I hit $30 by that time I should have settled in to the SSS a little better.

It is quite nice to play without the pressure of decision making, the kind of decisions I tend to make without full consideration. e.g. I was in late position with AQs raised and was called by BB hit A72 on flop made continuation bet of 3/4 stack which was raised all in, called and lost to A7d. Don't need to feel bad about these stupid decisions when playing SSS.

Thanks again for the advice and any more comments are most welcome.
    • Wizard101
      Wizard101
      Bronze
      Hi Greengolfkid

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have recently had to strip out my bankroll due to a lack of money atm (hey I'm a student!! lol). However, put £15 in last week (just couldn't walk away) and have grafted it up to £80 averaging £15-£20 a day. Its my aim to turn this into $300 in the next few months, so we're basically not far of the same goal.

Just keep plugging away...once you reach silver status you can get the elephant software, which is excellent for statistical tool for analysing opponents and determining the best way to play back at them. Also if you have time, watch some of the video tutorials, as these can be really useful.

Keep the grind strong!!
    • greengolfkid
      greengolfkid
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies. I wonder what strategy you are playing now, could you tell me.

I have had a change of plan with the extra 50 bucks i was given, I that I don't have the patience for the SSS even when playing 4 tables I was getting bored and calling the wrong hands with the "I could hot the flush" kind of attitude that just costs you money quickly, there is no potential earnings in the lucky flop anyway when you are short stack, double up is the best you can hope for.

I read through the articles for BSS and decided to give that a try with £20 on 10c-20c games (NL 0.20?). I found that I could make a few speculative calls when in late position but found that because the money is so much higher than I have been playing for (a few dollars really instead of a few cents) I didn't want to call with out good pot odds and the occasional bluff was more effective.

I know that bankroll management says that it is not sensible but I feel much more willing to lay down hands I would normally push with.

For example I reraised a 4BB bet with KK, an ace on the flop followed by a big bet made me lay down the KK. Now it seems like common sense to lay down but at the lower limits there seemed less to lose and now I only want to bet on more likely hands.

All this taken into cosideration after losing the second 20 and going down to $35 while drunk and wreckless, I am pleased to have turned it back into $100 over the last 3 days. I have played a fair bit and have made it to silver and I intend to watch the videos and read the articles over the next month.

any advice from anyone I would be grateful.

Please excuse my terrible poker terminology buy I am on a learning curve and can only improve.
    • Wizard101
      Wizard101
      Bronze
      Hi, i currently play sss, on the 0.05/0.10 tables. Glad to see you have ran up to 100$ in the past few days, though you need to be carefull as you are currently breaking brm and a couple bad beats could dent your roll.

I believe the trick to sss is seeing that stack of 20 big blinds (be it 200$ on a 5$/10$ table or 2$ on a 10c/5c table) as your last bit of money or for example as ss in the wsop....essentially your aim is to get your money in the best possible spot.

I suggest when playing sss remember the following:

1. Play premium hands only in early and middle early positions (aa, kk, qq, jj, 10's and ak). the idea is with sss is that you should never limp (unless in the rare occassion it is more sensible to do so......you should raise with this range to make limpers fold or re-raise all in after a raise to apply pressure. (these are the races an sss player wants to go into)

2. Increase your range in the late middle to late positions (raise with lower paris, suited connectors, weaker aces and kj, kq etc (but moderately)....the idea here is only to steal.....if you get a call and miss the flop consider whether a continuation bet is worth it, if not, let it go.

3. You shouldn't really be limping with anything be it a made strong hand or suited connectors (on a full ring table, on 6 man the dynamics change a bit)

4. Leave the table once you have more than 25% of your original stack if you don't double up....than move onto the next table.

5. Use your image, sometimes its better to fold them marginal hands if it helpes develop a tighter image. This you can use to steal in late position and you are more likely to get your opponents to release as they credit you with a hand.

6. dont limp or call a raise with weak pairs, big stacks have great implied odds for this, but sss players don't (in short, its just not profitable to do this, you will only hit a straight once in 8.5 times).

Just a few tips for playing sss profitably but remember its a high variance strategy and there will be ups and downs (due to the high ammount of races). However, if you feel comfortable playing bss and it works (which it clearly does, than stay with it. Anyhow, let me know how you get on and keep going. Won a 1$ tourney the other day scooping 92$ from a field of 500+, not much but it all counts.....have a live tourney event tonight at dtd so hopefully i'll run good at that.
    • greengolfkid
      greengolfkid
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice with SSS I agree with everything you say but I mostly feel a bit limited when I play it, and when I get bored I lose because I get sloppy.

I also know about the BRM problem with what I am doing, but right now I am enjoying it, I am gonna stick with it for a while. I don't expect huge things but we'll see.

I guess there is not much point in being a member of this site and not taking their advice.

I may step down so that i am playing at the level for my bankroll.

Thanks again.