[NL2-NL10] Nl5 Sb Kq Sss

• 0tt
      0tt
      Bronze
      Playing NL5 SSS and lost quite a nice sum of money because of that kind of situatuons with hands like AJ, AQ, KQ.
      Here is one example:
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.65
      BU(Hero):
      $0.93
      SB:
      $5.23
      BB:
      $0.95
      MP1:
      $3.95
      MP2:
      $8.08
      MP3:
      $10.54

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, K.
      MP1 calls $0.05, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.65, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1.02.

What to do? :f_confused: :f_confused:
  • 6 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      That's an easy one: Fold like you did. Nice hand.

Have a look again at the articles. According to basic strategy, if there is a raise after you (even if the opponent limped into the hand to begin with), you only go all-in with: TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA or AK. So with KQ you have an easy fold.

There are spme players you will come across who 'limp-raise'. They limp with a very strong hand in the hope that someone else bets and then they reraise. It's annoying as a short-stacker when this happens (because if they had raised in the first place we would have just folded - that's why they do it ;) ), but we still have to fold in these cases unless we ourselves have a very strong hand.

When you find a player who does this - and especially if someone else calls them and you see what hands they do it with - you can make a note on them and the next time they limp you can make a decision whether you want to raise with a marginal hand if you think there is a good chance they will re-raise you. Ofc, if you see that they also do this with weaker hands, you can push all in more easily, but generally if you stick to the basic strategy above, you won't go wrong at NL5

Regards,
      Tim
    • 0tt
      0tt
      Bronze
      Thanks, I played those situations according to the SSS strategy. Lost 1 BI yesterday in those situations. I was thinking that those players thought I was going to steal and they raised me to scare me off.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Without information and reads on the 3better there is not much you can do but fold in this spot. :) KQ is not in my call resteal range either.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Without information and reads on the 3better there is not much you can do but fold in this spot. :) KQ is not in my call resteal range either.
      Hello!

KQ is a marginal hand, it is behind against even A2o!

Therefore a fold here is appropriate and the best move :)

Just make sure you note Mp1 down as a limp/3better

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      KQ is a marginal hand, it is behind against even A2o!
      its still got 42% equity ;) Just being padantic lol!
    • 0tt
      0tt
      Bronze
      Great thanks! It just improved my game alot and now I'm not hesitating to fold in that kind of situations ;)