Weekly Vote: How do you handle bad beats?

• Poll
    • What do you do when you get a bad beat?

Bad beats happen, they don't affect me
        39%
        I stop playing for a while to calm myself down
        26%
        I break stuff
        23%
        I play more hands because my luck will turn around
        12%
      Total: 255 Votes
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Poker is not always filled with rainbows, ponies and love (well, it's actually never about these things) and sometimes you get a bad beat. It happens, we all know that. But what do you do when you get in such a situation? Does it affect you or your game? Vote now and share with us your bad beat stories.
  • 35 replies
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vhallee
      Poker is not always filled with rainbows, ponies and love (well, it's actually never about these things)
      :f_o:

You lied to me!

Meh bad beats happen, they used to really affect my, but now i just shrug them off. Just remember to never break anything that was worth more than the pot ;)

-Jack
    • RTSanThe
      RTSanThe
      Bronze
      I'm a super turbo player where variance is super high, but since the games are so fast (just instantly open another window) it doesn't really affect me any more. I used to get moody, but I think I'm handling downswings pretty good now.
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RTSanThe
      I'm a super turbo player where variance is super high, but since the games are so fast (just instantly open another window) it doesn't really affect me any more. I used to get moody, but I think I'm handling downswings pretty good now.
      Heh this .. My roommate started playing DoNs, grinding about 26 at once .. Good for him, he does not have time to see if he got sucked out :f_biggrin: I really do not know why, but since I started playing PLO the beats are OK with me :s_biggrin: .
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      Do you know any therapy for bad beat meltdown?

I usually dont go off on a single bad beat, but I already lost 350$ in a 3 weeks downswing... I never had a upswing, or just a normal break, where i win if i'm favorite.

I'm starting to think that your opponent needs to be lucky no more than 49% of the time so you can be profitable, but you know how they are. I can't get a break.

I tried to calm down by listening to relaxing music. Bittersweet symphony instrumental is quite good. However it doesn't help me that much. I play ABC poker most of the time since I 9 table, but when it gets like it got these 3 weeks, i tend to be more aggressive that I should in the late phases.
    • IcMean
      IcMean
      Bronze
      I just play on. I sometimes use the tiltblocker tool, then bad beats are like: "shit", next hand!
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      They usually don't effect me... If they do, I just raise next hand no matter what :D
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      I'm either not affected at all by them or extremely affected (never break anything, just punch my mouse), depends on my mood. First case happens more often.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      They usually don't effect me... If they do, I just raise next hand no matter what :D
      I like.....then you get stacked again? lol
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Im still a beginner xD

so bad beat affects me i played more hand wanting to get my money back then i lose more money >_<

Trying to correct this flaw.

I punch my table or the wall :P
    • txfoyochipz
      txfoyochipz
      Bronze
      1 or 2 are easy 2 handle. I tend to flip out when it happens for the third or fourth time in crucial, large pot situations.
      My reactions are usually: Shouting NOOOOO, throwing my cap against something as hard as I can or punching my leg. Don't ask me why I do it, its some sort of natural reflex. Then u get the mumbling: freakin idiots, freakin donkeys, how can he call with that crap and so on.

They don't piss me off as much as they used to though.....the cure......multi-tabling.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      When I get a bad beat, i suddenly feel older. I feel like Yoda right now.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      If pot is small it doesnt affect me, but if its near stack size then I feel myself tilting and usually have to stop playing.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      I like.....then you get stacked again? lol
      No I don't... Because I play FL ;)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Doesn't affect me much anymore, but i can't stand coolers.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Everytime, I die a little inside. :f_ugly:
    • Strateeg
      Strateeg
      Bronze
      the only time it REALLY affects me is when someone makes a very bad move and gets paid off for it- ie SnG bubble situation, i push from button with QQ SB shoves it in with 88 and the idiot on button pushes his A4o. If someone makes the right move and then sucks out it doesnt bother me much :)
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      i'd imagine it will hurt a lot more to get bad beat in a tournament than in a cash game. you just reload in a cash game, and take it all back.

In a tourney, sometimes you push, get a bad call, they suck out and its all over. That would seriously suck!
    • sliverika
      sliverika
      Bronze
      I get up and walk in a circle for like 10 seconds.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I play a fair amount of 25c/50c FL on FR, so there is no such thing as a bad beat at that game at that level, just another pilchard who can't lay down 25o in the sb is all. Yawn. But I've had my share at other games as well. You become immune after the first month so I don't really deal with them, just ignore them.