Poker books

• kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Hello, I am now buyng myself some books. Can anyone reccomend me omaha8 , omaha hi , 7card stud hi and H/L books ?
      Also planning to buy holdem books( NL holdem is my main game): "Super system" 1 and 2 (just like the books and also good to learn other games besides holdem), "Proffessional Nolimit holdem" - read it about 50 pages and it seemed really good to read.
      Some books from PS booklist - "Ace on the river" , Sklankys "Theory of poker" and "Holdem poker for advanced players." Also "Small stakes holdem".
      Is this list OK or should remove or add something ?
  • 10 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Harrington's Holdem books for MTT are great
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      sry wrong forum, can anyone move this thread to right one?
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kosmonaut111
      sry wrong forum, can anyone move this thread to right one?
      Hello kosmonaut,

I moved it to Poker Media as this should be the right place ;)

Best Regards,

-Jack
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Also planning to buy holdem books( NL holdem is my main game): "Super system" 1 and 2 (just like the books and also good to learn other games besides holdem), "Proffessional Nolimit holdem" - read it about 50 pages and it seemed really good to read.
      Some books from PS booklist - "Ace on the river" , Sklankys "Theory of poker" and "Holdem poker for advanced players." Also "Small stakes holdem".
      Is this list OK or should remove or add something ?
      HPFAP and SSH are limit books, not NL books and Ace on the river isn't a strategy book.

PNL is a good book (especially for understanding the importance of stack sizes and for the SPR concepts) but it's more for live loose games and maybe some online micro stakes tables (It doesn't talk about balance strategies and online there are more tough opponents than live) I learned 2 important things from this book: 1. TPs and overpairs prefer low SPRs and from this reason these type of hands are difficult to play with a 100BB stack. 2. avoid putting 1/3 of your stack in the pot with a made hand and then folding.

If you are looking for NL theory the best book is No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice. Just remember this book won't teach you how to play, it's more a theory than a practice book. Even the authors say "We don't mean to give you absolutist Do this, don't do that, advice. We intend to give you things to think about while you play. The more you think about the game and the less rigidly you view it, the better your results will likely be." The examples from this book are from live full ring games.

If you're playing online 6max NL the only books you need are Ryan Fee's 6max strategy guide (it's a free e-book) and Small Stakes No Limit Holdem by Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta and Matt Flynn (this e-book costs almost $100 but you can read it for free if you know where to search it).
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      I was looking through new topics and thought I read "Poker boobs".. :f_frown:
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      I've changed my list quite much.

Now I´m buying: " Super system" ; "proffessional NL holdem" ; "harrington on cash games vol1 andvol2 (made a deal with friend that he buyis both tournament books) and Jeff Hwangs omaha. Now changed theory of poker to NL holdem theory and practice.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      I've changed my list quite much.

Now I´m buying: " Super system" ; "proffessional NL holdem" ; "harrington on cash games vol1 andvol2 (made a deal with friend that he buyis both tournament books) and Jeff Hwangs omaha. Now changed theory of poker to NL holdem theory and practice.
      There are 3 tournament books by Harrington.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      I was looking through new topics and thought I read "Poker boobs".. :f_frown:
      ROFL :f_p:
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Well the third one isnt quite a strategy book.
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      Harrington's 3rd book, while not a strategy book per se, is my favourite of the three. After going through the principles he outlines in the first two books, the third gives you a chance to review everything and think through all the principles yourself as you read. The book is very interactive, and definitely worth the time you spend working through it.

Harrington's a genius. Also, he's got a great sense of humour.