Live Tells - Strategy Articles

• WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Hey PS,

can't you get some guys off the Team Pokerstrategy to write an article with some common live tells.. It would be really nice coming from some experienced live tournament players..

Thanks
  • 7 replies
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      +1
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey there,

I'm not sure if this is doable, but I'll check internally and get back to you as soon as I have news :)

Hadi
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      And me again :) Unfortunately, I don't have any news yet, but Robbie (the responsible person for Team PokerStrategy) is discussing it with our head of Education - hopefully we'll know more soon!
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      Here's some tells for you. Most of these tells can be deduced from the simple fact that people act strong when weak and weak when strong.

Flop comes Jd8d6h. Your opponent bets into you and you call. He then shouts out "PAIR THE BOARD!". This would mean he does not want the board to pair which means he does not have a set or two pair.

Another: You are about to put your opponent all in and he moves his chips as if he is about to instacall. If he really had a strong hand he would not want to discourage your bet. His actions should make you MORE likely to push not less likely.

If you need information, stare your opponent down and make it OBVIOUS that you are doing so. If they continually stare back, they are weak. If they look away they are strong.

If your opponent takes a stack of chips and slams it on the table to bet, he is weak. If he slowly quietly slides the chips just inside the betting line, he is strong.

If you are contemplating a call and your opponent starts talking, your opponent usually wants the call. Most people would shut up if they wanted a fold.

If they call your bet and check blind then they are usually drawing. In fact when people check blind they almost always need some kind of help. By checking blind, they indicate that the turn card matters to them. I hit third pair on the turn and barrelled HARD after an opponent of mine did this.

If the flop comes three hearts watch for people checking their hole cards. These people are checking to see if one of their cards is a heart. However, if their cards were suited they would probably remember the suit! You can deduce that they may have a draw to the flush but they will never have the flush.

Go buy Mike Caro's book of tells. It has pictures. Pictures are awesome.
    • Krugzz
      Krugzz
      Bronze
      Some more tells would be:

People speeding up on you telling things like 'Come on, are you calling or not?' - this is one of the newbie tells - he's bluffing.

People saying their bet loud. Again, only for newbies. They're weak.

People covering their mouth with their hand. They're weak.

Hand shiver. They're strong.

Quickly glancing at their chips after flop hits. They hit something.

Try getting them to talk. If they seem uninterested and reply that they're not interested in what you want to talk about/say something weird, they're verrrry weak. If the guy does start to talk about w/e you wanted them to talk about, he is strong.
    • OnkelHotte
      OnkelHotte
      Black
      Hey guys, sorry but we can not expect such articles.

It is almost impossible to create articles about live tells as these are 99% player specific.

Sorry and regards,
      Tobias
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Live tells are undoubtly very player specific. And though there are some more general and common tells that relate to the human's generic responses to specific situations you can't actually know what they mean if you're playing that opponent for the first time. And I can't really tell you how to "quick-read" a player you only played a couple of hands with.

Some general tells were already mentioned. The most typical:
      - strong means weak and weak means strong (so true so many times);
      - people trying to avoid you or that keep talking nonsense probably are confortable with their hand or even very strong, while if someone is challenging with their look, words or behavior they're most likely weak;
      - if a person makes a sizable bet and freezes or stop/avoid breathing they're bluffing most times, waiting to sigh of relief when their opponent folds
      - what was told about flushes and flush draws is also true many times. They're usually checking if they have ONE card of that suit for a flushdraw.
      - if they bet/donk-bet flop on a flushdraw/straightdraw board and then keep staring and the next card comming and check a blank card... well they're pretty obviously drawing.
      - also (newbies) on a straightdrawy board if opponent is looking at whole cards and the board, they're actually counting the cards to a straight. They'll be drawing.

But you always have to beware of what a specific tell means. For example, most people tend to be aggressive putting chips in the middle when they aren't that strong so that their aggression can compensate for their lack of a strong hand. But I've played with a couple of opponents where that tell simply wasn't reliable.