Quiz of the Week: Playing the Calling Station out of Position

• djma123
      Hey PokerStrategists,

playing out of position is something good poker players are supposed to avoid, but of course there are plenty of situations in which playing out of position can be profitable, too. This quiz is designed to help you identify these situations, especially against loose-passive opponents.

We will discuss a few constellations that some players might overplay and explain why a certain play might still be justified or not. Bear in mind the postflop implications of your preflop decisions if you are out of position!

Test your knowledge in our newest edition of the weekly quiz:

What do you think about this quiz? Too easy? Too hard?

Express your opinion and discuss it here!
  • 6 replies
    • NatRPheM
      For me it was a bit hard seeing as I dont use stats and dont know what they stand for so I only ended with 25/35. My play is solely based on reads / betting pattern / feel for the player / hand ranges and since I dont understand those stats I made a few wrong "plays".
    • PetterG2
      You scored 33 out of 35 possible points. This corresponds to 94 % !

Happy with that :)
    • thazar
      quite happy 31/35 however I kind of disagree with one answer

Question 8:

PartyPoker $10 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($10) (20/0/1) [VPIP/PFR/AF]
      UTG+2 ($10)
      MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($10) (33/5/1/0.5) [VPIP/PFR/AF]
      MP3 ($10) (15/12/3) [VPIP/PFR/AF]
      CO ($10) (40/10/0.5) [VPIP/PFR/AF]
      BU ($10)
      Hero ($10)
      BB ($10) (9/7/2) [VPIP/PFR/AF]

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J
      6 folds, CO raises $0.40, 1 fold, Hero...?

Fold (0 Points)
      Call (2 Points)
      3-bet/fold (0 Points)
      3-bet/broke (3 Points)

Your answer 3-bet/fold (0 Points)

3-betting for value with strong hands should be limited to situations in which going broke is an option for you. Your opponent is a 40/10 player at the cutoff which makes it a marginal spot, as your 3-bet will get called by a bunch of weaker hands than jacks, even if it means that you have to go broke to find it out.

It's obvious that your opponent is also capable of holding stronger pocket pairs than you. If you are afraid of variance, you can also call here and reevaluate your hand on the flop.

villain has 40/10/0.5

I would assume therefore very loose passive and not aggressive at all. a raise on the Co does not mean much. If I were to reraise to $1.2 I can expect to getcalled by much worse hands with such a calling station. However If he 4-bets with only 10 PFR and 0.5 AF I would expect to be against a monster and not be willing to risk the other 88% of my stack.

If the CO was more aggressive yes I would go broke without any issue but just on the stat I would say it is an easy 3-bet/fold

any comments?
    • opal99
      i chose 3bet/fold also... if he 4bets, what do we beat? AK? Not a great spot to be in. If we get allin, we hope for split vs. 2 overs and are drawing to 2 outs often. What am I missing here?
    • BattleHunter
      Ohh well, 3 points away from 25 :(

I guess playing SH with no stats brings me at kind of a disadvantage here :P

Anyway, as expected got pretty much all points for 45s and lost pretty much all points for JJ (very explanatory tho, 99-JJ and semi-good aces are my hardest hands to play as of now).

From my limited understandings, 3bet/fold is also how I would have played JJ.

3bet/broke as already said seems pretty bad against 0.5 AF guy.

2nd best - call looks really stupid IMO. They say re-evaluate hand on the flop. Except that now we play OOP in a $0.90 pot and we have no idea what a cbet means without other stats. He's not very aggressive, but still if we donk a flop where we have overpair we're at the SAME situation as before, except that now he can call us with quite some things and we can't be sure if he's on a better overpair or not.

If we check and get a cbet (where we have overpair) it doesn't mean much either. Sure he's not very aggressive, but again he can easily be on a TP that we have dominated, or can now have some draws and we have no idea what we're doing :P

Might just be my inexperienced way of dealing with JJ type of hands, but anyway, those are my 2c :P
    • harleytopper
      You scored 32 out of 35 possible points. This corresponds to 91 % !

Only mistake about hand where i choose 3-bet fold...