Weekly Vote: How will Ivey do in the $5 million WSOP bet?

• Poll
    • How will Ivey do in the $5 million WSOP bet?

He will win more than two WSOP bracelets
        31%
        He will win exactly two bracelets
        27%
        He will only win one bracelet
        25%
        He will not win any bracelet within the next two years
        16%
      Total: 134 Votes
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Phil Ivey and Howard Lederer made a prop bet worth $5 million (you can check this news for more info).

Basically, Lederer says Ivey can't win two WSOP bracelets in the next two years and Ivey wants to prove him wrong. What do you think about this? Will Phil Ivey manage to win this bet?
  • 14 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Such a huge bet.
      I don't think this is to hard for Phil, he only has two win 2 of the smaller events. There is something like ~50 events?
      He plays most games, so something like 2-7lowball or wateva they are called, he should win one of them then the Main Event ;)
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Here's some stats on his WSOP performance

2000 - 1
      2002 - 3
      2005 - 1
      2009 - 2

"With seven World Series of Poker bracelets, Ivey is currently tied with Billy Baxter for the sixth most of all-time. Also, at age 33, he is the youngest player to ever win seven (Phil Hellmuth was 37). In addition, other than Johnny Moss, no other player has accumulated seven bracelets as quickly; it took Ivey only nine years from the time of his first bracelet to his seventh (Moss also took nine years)." - Wikipedia
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      I'd say for $5 mill, he'd spend less time playing cash games during the WSOP and expend more energy on the events themselves. I'm guessing obviously.

No doubt he's capable of it.
    • shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      I'd say for $5 mill, he'd spend less time playing cash games during the WSOP and expend more energy on the events themselves. I'm guessing obviously.

No doubt he's capable of it.
      last wsop he played every event he could, even in the breaks of other event. he actually had to run to other event after he won his first bracelet. i think he played more events then anybody else.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      fulltilt pr stunt, not interresting imo
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      lederer is a big favourite to win this..
      ivey is just cocky

lederer is a really smart guy and i would go against him often so ivey will give away the money he won in the main event while lederer doesnt need 2 work for 2 years :D
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I think Ivey will win exactly 2. How is he being cocky when he has gotten 2 bracelets in 1 year. He's seen as the best allround poker player by nearly every poker pro..

I think he'll do it, maybe even 3 bracelets
    • Abe1919
      Abe1919
      Bronze
      Poker is so much tougher these days,so many more players and so many better players. I'd bet $5 mil that he won't make it.(if i had $5mil spare)
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      You wouldnt bet against Lederer if you knew how big variance mtt's are. 50 events is nothing.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alverine
      You wouldnt bet against Lederer if you knew how big variance mtt's are. 50 events is nothing.
      There are many events at WSOP that the variance will be smaller (small entry field, games where you are not risking your entire stack like in NL, games that know one else knows well like 2-7, etc). Add in the fact Phil Ivey is one of the best players in the world and he has already done it before. I think it is easily doable by Ivey although granted if variance isn't on his side then it will be tough.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Stats are against Ivey in every way. I'd put money on Lederer winning this bet.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Abe1919
      Poker is so much tougher these days,so many more players and so many better players. I'd bet $5 mil that he won't make it.(if i had $5mil spare)
      You obviously didn't watch the Antonius interview yet. He will kick you in the nuts if he read that comment. :)

Originally posted by Atoks
      Stats are against Ivey in every way. I'd put money on Lederer winning this bet.

Ivey > Stats.

I think he is a huge favourite when he sits down to the non Hold'em/Omaha games or mixed games.
    • Abe1919
      Abe1919
      Bronze
      I could take antonius X(
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Players are better these days. But he got 2 bracelets LAST YEAR!. that alone clearly proves he is way above any player playing in those tournaments.

And like elhh82 said, there is also deuce 2-7 draw, mixed games tournament which Ivey would crush.. No limit ones are ofcourse a way bigger field and way tougher. And there is also pot limit omaha tournaments which probably are also easier and a smaller field. (not sure what the 2-7 game is called, probably wrote it wrong)

And ofcourse variance is big in MTT, but it's Phil Ivey lol. If it was anyone else i'd laugh him in the face. But this is the guy who got 7 bracelets faster then anyone else.. If he runs equal to his EV he will do it easily imo, if he runs way below EV he might actualy still do it..