This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL25 - One Overcard & a Fishy Flop Bet

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

UTG+1 ($15.50)
      MP1 ($5.30)
      MP2 ($6.60)
      Hero ($5)
      CO ($27.80)
      Button ($14.70)
      SB ($4.05)
      BB ($16.85)
      UTG ($23.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T:heart: , T:club: .
      [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], MP2 calls $0.25, [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $1.25[/color], [color:#666666]4 folds[/color], MP2 calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) J:club: , 6:heart: , 8:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]MP2 bets $5[/color], Hero calls $3.75 (All-In).

Turn: ($10.35) K:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players, 1 all-in)[/color]

River: ($10.35) 8:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players, 1 all-in)[/color]

Final Pot: $10.35

I thought that huge overbet was a bit fishy...like he was trying to bully me out of the pot (maybe thought I missed with AK?) With only one overcard, I figured it was worth calling...was that OK or should I just fold here?

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 4 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Tough decision without any reads on your opponent. Would he have checked you would have made a C-Bet anyway, but often would have folded against a check-raise, since the board is very try (only a uncommon Straightdraw is possible). This overbet could mean he has something that beats you or he has nothing. I guess I would fold here and see if he does that more often in the future against me. If so, I would call him in similar situations.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Now this is a situation exactly like the common one I was asking about in my c-bet sizing thread.

ASSUMING he had checked, wouldn't I have been better off just pushing as a c-bet? There is $2.85 in the pot, which would call for a $2 c-bet, but that would only leave me with $1.75, which doesn't seem to make much sense as it leaves me pot-committed anyway without enough money to have fold equity on the turn, correct???

Anyway, in the hand as played, I think the biggest problem with my call is that a call (obviously) doesn't have any fold equity. You're right that I probably should have folded there...and I knew better at the time...but with that strange bet, curiousity got the better of me and I was just too tempted to look him up (he had JTo.)

Thanks,
      Kknight
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      I personally depend my decision between pushing or giving up my hands in situations like this (when I´m in position of course), on what case has the higher possibility. If he calls me more often with weaker hands I push here, but if he only calls with stronger hands I check behind on these flops. So it depends on my reads on the opponent. Against very aggressive Players who like to check/raise on these boards with 99, 77 or two Overcards, I tend to push here.

Like I already mentioned, their is no general right answer, unfortunally. The SSS is much more complex then most people think she is.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      OK...fair enough. But you did answer my question more than you think you did by saying that you choose between pushing or checking behind. That is basically what I was trying to figure out. In other words, a $2 c-bet pretty much NEVER makes sense here, right? Since it leaves you pot-committed and it doesn't make sense to bet $2 and then fold to a raise for only another $1.75 into what is now a $7.85 pot.

I know that whether or not to c-bet depends on reads. That is why the question was about the size of a c-bet, not whether or not to make one. I think you answered that question.

Thanks again,
      Kknight