Cash Games vs. MTTs/SNGs

• DNAwithin
      DNAwithin
      Bronze
      Hey guys! I'm looking to start a good thread on the pros and cons of playing cash games and tournaments (SNGs, regular tournaments etc.). So take a shot at the questions below if you are interested of what others think.

What do you play and why?
      Which of the two do you find more enjoyable, profitable and suitable to your play/lifestyle?
      Which type of player do you find more successful? Define success.
      Who is the better poker player - the cash game grinder or the SNG grinder? Why?

Posts by people with experience/success in both would be appreciated.
  • 7 replies
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      I used to play cash games for about a year, month ago i switched to sngs. I obv like sngs beter than cash games now.

I'll write shortly about pros and cons about all you mentioned (imo):

Cash games:
      :diamond: You can play as long as you want, you can start and leave whenever you want. Ton of freedom.
      :diamond: You can select who you wanna play against.
      :diamond: Easy to multitable.
      :diamond: They are hardest to master from all 3.

SNG's:
      :diamond: Are quite tough to multitable (i play 6max sngs), because very often i play hu on 3 tables, 4 handed on one and 6 handed on the remaining two. Its tough to adjust to different blinds, stacksizes, opponents and stuff like that. Its more challenging and therefore more fun for me.
      :diamond: Much more profitable for me than the other two.
      :diamond: I dont tilt at all when i play sngs, dont rly know why tho.

MTT's
      :diamond: No freedom whatsoever.
      :diamond: I tilt enormously when i bust. Variance is monster.
      :diamond: Huge payout if you happen to final table, othewise you dont get that much money.
      :diamond: They are just so fucking long.
      :diamond: I'd say its the softest form of poker.
      :diamond: Require big br (buyin-wise).

Hope it helps :)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      pretty much everything what Alficor1 said.. but you 3 table hu sng + other sngs!??! WTF? your crazy :f_biggrin: .

hu sng's most people 1 or 2 table.. you'd have to be really good if you want to make decent profit at 3-4 tables at mid-high stakes.. or play like superturbo's where it's usualy just a question to shove or not.

The most important reason i wouldn't play single table sng's is cause it dies out at higher limits.. so you can never play really high.. so you spend all that effort becomming the perfect single table sng player just to prob grind out 20s, 30s or maybe 50s. MT sng's are more like tournaments (180/360/lower ones too but those especially). So if you do master those.. you can easily make the switch to tournaments which pretty much have no cap in buyins. (onyx series :f_biggrin: ).

I'm personally playing hu sng's. planning to add tournaments in the near future. And also want to learn cash games. Don't have to restrict yourself to one type ;) I could never just grind only tournaments.. i could not deal with the variance. But it's better to stick to one for a beginner.

If i had to do everything over i'd play cash games tbh.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      MTT's:
      - not a chance of getting bored playing them since you're constantly under pressure;
      - highly motivational to play because of the prize pool/ top places pay;
      - incredible amount of fish ( they do run satellites for MTT's but not for cash games);
      - you can scare your opponents and abuse their fear to make money;
      - decently easier then playing cash games for real;
      - syncronized breaks exactly what you need to relax a little without losing focus.

- they take a LOT of time to play;
      - they have superdupermassive swings;
      - the top heavy payout structure can also crush your motivation. Example: i finished 14 out of 27xx in a 10$ MTT, i got 130$, top 2 places were 55xx$ and 35xx$.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      pretty much everything what Alficor1 said.. but you 3 table hu sng + other sngs!??! WTF? your crazy :f_biggrin: .
      You kinda misunderstood me here. I play only 6max sngs. I wanted to say that sometimes im in a heads up stage in 3 of them. :)
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      just play all and have fun
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andreibalint
      MTT's:
      - not a chance of getting bored playing them since you're constantly under pressure;
      - highly motivational to play because of the prize pool/ top places pay;
      - incredible amount of fish ( they do run satellites for MTT's but not for cash games);
      - you can scare your opponents and abuse their fear to make money;
      - decently easier then playing cash games for real;
      - syncronized breaks exactly what you need to relax a little without losing focus.

- they take a LOT of time to play;
      - they have superdupermassive swings;
      - the top heavy payout structure can also crush your motivation. Example: i finished 14 out of 27xx in a 10$ MTT, i got 130$, top 2 places were 55xx$ and 35xx$.
      Lol they can and will get boring at some point if you play them everyday. Also sync breaks let you take a piss maybe and then you gotta play again :D
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Lol they can and will get boring at some point if you play them everyday. Also sync breaks let you take a piss maybe and then you gotta play again

I guess it depends on your way of thinking. I still hold my opinion that they are less boring then cash games/sng's.

But the swings... now i get why cash games have a lot more regs.

just play all and have fun

Rule no. 1 of ps.com forums: a diamond member is always right. :f_biggrin: Is learning more games better then concentrating on just one?