Back to basics, PLO for beginners. wedding pics ITT

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I don't pretend to know what im talking about when it comes to poker, il admit im a bit of a fish ok a lot of a fish so its time to knuckle down and study and turn myself into a winning player especially now im a mod i feel like i should at least have more than a basic knowledge so i can do more than just welcome new people tell them about offers, people ask me my opinion advice on poker and i cant answer them really so here goes.

For people who dont know/havent previously cared :f_biggrin: heres a quick history of me and my poker.

Im Carl, 22 from East Yorkshire in the UK im getting married 3 weeks today and crapping my pants about it.

This is where i live, and when this is one of the funnest things to do in your town i think the urge to travel is self explanitory:

I joined PokerStrategy.com last year after my GF had busted her free capital and told me about the site. I was denied the capital but it didnt put me off i already had an interest in poker and realised this site could be a lil gold mine for me so i stuck with it and deposited myself around $50 and was 24 tabling at NL2 breezed through to NL5 and was going well until i took shots at NL10 lost 3 stacks there moved back down and then bang couldnt win a thing until i was back at NL2 dunno what went wrong was still playing well all the way through or at least most of the NL5 downswing then prob tilted like a pro.

Then started playing MTTs and HUsngs for a few months only breaking even in HU sngs my main fault was not enough study i had enough skills to b/e but not win then i final tabled some tourney on stars for around $550 i think had to cash out to pay for unexpected car repairs and i left about $50 in there to donk about with and thats where i am now.

Im bored of holdem at the moment so this will be mainly be a blog about me trying to improve my knowledge of this great game and il be focusing on PLO ive never played before well maybe 50 hands or smth stupid so im basicaly starting fresh.

GOALS

:diamond: My main goal is to gain enough knowledge about poker that when somebody asks me a question on their game i can give some valuable input obv i will be learning as this happens and in turn im hoping positive results will come

:club: So i will read all PLO articles available here and start watching some videos too

:heart: Get omaha manager - this might be a big n00b question but does omaha manager come with HEM or is it seperate program?

:spade: Be a winning PLO player

I will also be playing NLHE MTTs when i have time hopefully ship some big $$s soon.

Il try and update this more than my other blogs and there will be a lot of hands and analysis in here so maybe some other new PLO players will learn something with me. Also will probably be a lot of random spam and pics probably a lot of which will be my dog:

I havent worked out how to flip it yet so you will have to crane your necks :f_biggrin:

If anyone has any advice for PLO n00bs then please post a reply here and if any new PLO players wanna add me on skype then leave a message here too hopefully we can all learn something

Cheers for reading,
      Carl
  • 119 replies
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      hey man hows it going

what kind of dog is it? hes kinda got a great dane face but the pic is too big to tell, he doesnt look big enough to be a great dane?

reason i ask is that ive got a great dane blue, and he kinda looks similar - might just be the pic

congrats on getting married - id be cacking my pants about it too, but thats just cause im a commitment-phobe!

good luck with your learning! im kinda in the same place - im starting back at the basics at nl2 and trying to do it properly!!!

good luck

EDIt - i see now hes nto a great dane haha
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      :f_biggrin: resizing FTW Hes a german short haired pointer best dog i've ever known but i am biased (sorry Ingi im sure Basil is just as good) i do like great danes just dont think i could cope with one great to look at though are they quick?

Good to have you in my blog are you playing PLO too?
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      im mainly sticking with holdem at the minute but i do like to play PLO from time to time, its usually after an hour in a home game when someone suggests it to spice things up haha
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Nice blog man, I will definately follow as i'm trying to learn the basics of PLO on the side of me grinding NLHE Cash.

Nice dog as well (Not as nice as mine but still pretty good :D ) In fact, later on i'm going to post a pic of my dog wearing my Dad's sunglasses in my blog :s_cool:
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Hey man this blog sounds promising!

I'd suggest you to post a few hands from every session you play so people can discuss them here. Also, if you are first starting I'd say that the silver videos for PLO will summarize much of the strategy you need until PLO200 or so. From then on you'll need the gold and platinum videos.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Wow, really? Sorry to hijack the thread, EUO, but is PLO that soft? Or are there just a hell of a lot of good PLO vids?
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      From what i've played of PLO (Only up to like PLO25) it is insanely weak and full of people who barely understand the rules, let alone a strategy. I've managed to play PLO10 profitably when I was learning the rules as I went along :D
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      Wow, really? Sorry to hijack the thread, EUO, but is PLO that soft? Or are there just a hell of a lot of good PLO vids?
      YES. If you go to the videos section and filter them by PLO and Silver you'll see a bunch of excellent videos. I play SH so what I noticed is that there is a huge gap in the videos material between those until PLO50 (mostly silver) and those between PLO50 and PLO200 (mostly gold). I watched one silver video a day for about two weeks and then watched again all of them twice more. You need much more than this in terms of video material to beat every limit until PLO200.

I managed to reach gold last month and noticed that the gold videos use strategies that demand too much thinking and often lead to loss in the lower and softer limits.

And yes... PLO is completely soft. It is insane how shooting fish in a barrell can be difficult sometimes. The deal is just to play solid TAG style and profit. You can easily go for 15BB/100 or more until PLO200 by doing this.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey, i dont know what you mean by the wow really part? You think im taking on too much here? if so why?

I will be starting with PLO2 so right from the lowest stakes with just a tiny bit over $50 its not like im jumping straight in at PLO10 or 25 i understand that its gonna be hard and take a long time to progress since ive never played a competetive hand of PLO but at one point we were all in the same position with NLHE right? we have to start somewhere if ive misundertood your comment then i appologise.

Some great interest here so far im excited to see where this blog leads to hope we can all learn something together and help each other out as we progress
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      I was saying "Wow really" as in "Wow, just PS vids can give you the strategy needed to win til almost PLO200?" I was surprised, as I'm sure it takes a lot more work to win til almost NL200. But of course it makes sense, the lesser known the games, the softer they are, but I thought PLO at least was famous enough to be almost as hard as NLHE. I will definitely be following the blog: Tempted to "play along" now and dabble in some PLO2-PLO5...

Good luck!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Oh no, nowhere near as hard as NLHE, PLO10 is full of complete idiots who call down with Top Pair or nut peddlers playing like 13/10
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      I was saying "Wow really" as in "Wow, just PS vids can give you the strategy needed to win til almost PLO200?" I was surprised, as I'm sure it takes a lot more work to win til almost NL200. But of course it makes sense, the lesser known the games, the softer they are, but I thought PLO at least was famous enough to be almost as hard as NLHE. I will definitely be following the blog: Tempted to "play along" now and dabble in some PLO2-PLO5...

Good luck!
      It is deffinetely like this. You can watch those videos and formulate a solid strategy to repeat-repeat-repeat until PLO200 without big changes.

I also noticed that PLO games in FT are way too aggro, in Stars are way too tight and in William Hill are way too passive and insanely more profitable. this profitability is so high in WH that even compensates their low level interface.

I'd give it a try there... and you can also receive 5SP/$ raked! Play for 25 days out of 30 in PLO20 and you get platinum.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Oh no, nowhere near as hard as NLHE, PLO10 is full of complete idiots who call down with Top Pair or nut peddlers playing like 13/10
      There is a theoretical approach to PLO that says that "the gap between a good NLHE player and a bad one is far smaller than the gap that exists between a good PLO player and a bad one".

It means that when people make mistakes in PLO they make big mistakes, in opposition to NLHE. I'm sure it is generated by the greater complexity of the game. Untrained players are not so capable of considering the majority of variables that are involved in a PLO hand and, thus, give a huge margin to those skilled players who are capable of "seeing all the way through the hand" and understand their actual equities (which is something quite complicated to do in PLO in comparison to NLHE).
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      yup wriggers is right i played a really short session this morning and wow my mouth was watering sooo many fish about :f_biggrin:

@Salivanth. Like i say i am totaly uneducated when it comes to PLO so the PokerStrategy.com stuff will be a great starting point for me and other PLO newcomers. You are more than welcome to stop by here anytime and let us know your progress if you do play along :f_grin:
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      I'd be happy to! Also thanks Blackops for your excellent explanation. PLO is something I will almost certainly try someday, the only question is when. The only PLO blogs I've ever read are Pinoww's and that's obviously beyond me. When watching Poker After Dark I was too busy thinking "Uh...is that a good hand? I don't know!" to see any of the strategy :) However, this blog, a beginner PLO blog, might inspire me to try it :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      What better place than here? what better time than now? I hope i inspire a few people to start playing.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      I started with Omaha (I've played NLFR for more than a year now) a short time ago and I'm loving it. I've mastered the rules and I think I play a pretty good TAG style.

I was absolutely delighted to read that PLO field is so soft, even up to PLO200!. I play on FT, would you recommend switching to WH? I will certainly watch the videos and start improving!!

(I'm sorry to keep the OT going. Great blog, will follow with interest.)

PS. I think Omaha Manager is a separate program, you don't get it with HOLD'EM Manager!
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by inlovewithamsterdam
      I started with Omaha (I've played NLFR for more than a year now) a short time ago and I'm loving it. I've mastered the rules and I think I play a pretty good TAG style.

I was absolutely delighted to read that PLO field is so soft, even up to PLO200!. I play on FT, would you recommend switching to WH? I will certainly watch the videos and start improving!!

(I'm sorry to keep the OT going. Great blog, will follow with interest.)

PS. I think Omaha Manager is a separate program, you don't get it with HOLD'EM Manager!
      I played on FT when I first started on PLO and then gave it a try on WH when I received that 2nd starting capital here on ps.com... and never looked back.

They have a pretty decent bonus program but no rakeback, which makes me think that I'll stay there until I clear the bonus and then move to PartyPoker. But I still believe that the field in WH is so much softer than FT on PLO that it is a no-brainer once you create and account there and try it. There are not so many tables on PLO5 and PLO10 (which makes you play more than desired against some particular regulars), but they almost double in number from PLO20 and on and things become actually easier in spite of the "larger" amounts of money involved.

About HM.... I have it, but I ah... eh... downloaded it... borrowed from a... peer :D

It says "Hold'em + Omaha version" on mine and it treats both NLHE and PLO hands with no discrimination... no need of a separate application or something.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      HEM requires a seperate program for PLO. (It is called Hold'Em Manager after all). I think it's cheaper to buy when you have HEM already though.