Hold'em Manager 2 vs. 1

• verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      For those of you who have had a chance to download and use HEM2, what do you think about it in comparison to the original HEM?

What do you like/dislike about it in general?
  • 44 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      As a personal opinion, HEM1 was a fair bit more user friendly!

It can get a little annoying sorting filtering for graphs and the like at the beginning, but once you get used to it it's quite good though.

Uses a fair amount more system resources and has been running a little slow on my laptop though, but works quite well on the workstation!
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      find it awkward to navigate. I prefer the layout of HEM1: hands, sessions, graphs. far more easy! :f_thumbsup: IMO of course
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      My main justification for using HEM2 over HEM1 is that regardless of how much it has/lacks against HEM1, obviously more is going to be going into the production of HEM2.

That being said, HEM1 seems a lot more stable and less resource-intensive right now.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Just downloaded HEM2, lets gogogogog
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Can we have both installed at the same time?

I wouldn't mind to upgrade to HEM2 and take my time to get used to it, set up HUd, test it (because I have heard loads of neg stuff about it) etc.... and still be using HEM 1 while playing for now.
    • erptech
      erptech
      Platinum
      I just switched back to HM1.

HM2 is not finished product, it tilts me.
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Silver
      Yes, you can even run them at the same time :) .

What I like most is the possibility to synchronize your databases across multiple computers. And the possibility to save them in an online database.

The software takes some getting used to and isn't 100% stable yet but I'm sure that after everything is completely stable, pretty much everyone will prefer HEM2 over HEM1
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Hey folks,

I use it pretty frequently and have never had any issues. Sometimes it crashes and you need to end the process in task manager but most software does that on windows in my experience.

It's very resource intensive and even with 4 Gb Ram I notice an overall performance decrease when it's running - past that, even although it uses 250 Mb of RAM alone, the software itself is generally quite sluggish even on fast machines, but this has to do with the volume of your database to some extent too.

HEM1 will always be faster simply because HEM2 uses more resources, it will never be the case that HEM2 becomes faster than HEM1 on any system.

I think it's important to identify which version offers more functionality in terms of analysis in your poker game and to what extent you employ that, how frequently, from there any player can decide the more suitable option - continuous developments are being made to HEM2 which is always good.

Take care,

-E
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      EuanM - which version would you recommend to a beginning player?
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      HEM1 is better imo.. HEM2 is slowing my PC down way too much, so i cant use it as a hud (i only use it to make giraffs, i use PT3 as a hud), also HEM1 seems much more user friendly.
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      I've never used HEM1 to a great extent as I recently started with HEM, but my older brother used the first version extensively with great results.

For a beginner, I'd say Hold 'em Manager 2 is the clear choice, it is the future of the software and that's where all the support will be going.

I find it more appealing then HEM1 from an aesthetic point-of-view because of the addition of the choice of darker colours - easier on my eyes after 9-tabling for an hour or two :f_p:

The software as a whole, is clearer and easier to use in HEM2 from what I've seen on HEM1, although both provide the same general functionality, I think HEM2 has more customization options and certainly has more bells and whistles - for example you can have all your reports in tabs and can take a quick look for detailed info - past this the Apps like NoteCaddy / TableNinja being integrated make it way more appealing to beginners and advanced players alike.

I hear loads of negativity about the new Software but after much use of it and deliberation this negativity is more likely the struggle of exiting the HEM1 comfort zone - which has been frequented for many years by many people, so not an easy switch as such - but an easy choice for beginners.

Taking all that into consideration, you can get as far with HEM1 as you can with HEM2 and if HEM1 is reduced in price - it then makes more sense for micro-stakes players to purchase the first version and go for an upgrade following on from the free 30-day trial if they deem it so necessary.

I'm pretty sure the HUD is more advanced in HEM2, you can change it at the table or set it to be dynamic dependant on what street is being dealt - uncertain if this function is present in HEM1

It's comes down to a personal preference and requirement as well as constraints such as cost and system resources - it's just about finding a good functional balance here.

But I'm perhaps not the best one to ask verneer as I've not used HEM1 extensively - perhaps a veteran HEM1 user can make a better comparison.

Hope this helps,

-E
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      HEM is a much better software than HM2. Only fast thing about HM2 is the hand importing. The HUD is laggy, it crashes, all HM2 crashes at times, it's unintuitive, not user friendly and uses way too many resources for what it's actually supposed to do. Oh, and the pop-ups in HM2 suck imo. No longer all info available with ease which goes into the unituitive and not user friendly bit of downsides.
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      The HUD does take 1-2 secs to update the new stats after each hand, but it is always in time for decision making.

I've never the HUD crash as such - the software crashes sometimes when I've had it minimized for a day or two and move my laptop around - take it in and out of the docking station etc.. - so perhaps unstable in that sense.

The pop-ups are also fully-customizable, so you can change those from the default if they are unappealing to you.

EmanuelC16 - What kind of differences in info are we provided with between both pieces of software?
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      Originally posted by erptech
      I just switched back to HM1.

HM2 is not finished product, it tilts me.
      agree
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      I like hm2. True it takes more system rescources, so not reccomended for slow systems.

It has a nice feature - aliases - that lets you merge stats from different players. For ppl playing multiple sites this is v nice. Also to make lifetime graphs and full year graphs if you have changed sites. (many ft players has this problem :D )

At launch it was very unstable, but now it runs close to perfect on my pc.

Im not a very advanced user tho, I mainly use the graph and a few stats in the hud. I believe that hm2 is a "bigger better" program compared to HM1, perhaps in the same sense that a hummer is a bigger better car than say a jeep.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EuanM
      The HUD does take 1-2 secs to update the new stats after each hand, but it is always in time for decision making.

I've never the HUD crash as such - the software crashes sometimes when I've had it minimized for a day or two and move my laptop around - take it in and out of the docking station etc.. - so perhaps unstable in that sense.

The pop-ups are also fully-customizable, so you can change those from the default if they are unappealing to you.

EmanuelC16 - What kind of differences in info are we provided with between both pieces of software?
      1. Wrong. Happened to me and you can see in TTs vid that it simply stops working and doesn't update any hand. Never had such problems with HEM.

2. Why have an import HEM HUD version if it doesn't work properly? I have a very good HEM HUD which gives me all the info I need very fast. When I imported it to HM2 the hardest thing to redo was lost: the custom pop-ups. I don't use them a lot but the main pop-up now has less info so I would have to actually customize my pop-ups. Did I mention the default color scheme for them is hideous?

Why would I want to change to a software which:
      - is slower
      - more unstable
      - harder to configure
      - less user friendly
      - more expensive?

The only reason I even tried HM2 was because I got it free. Even now it's installed on my computer without being used for over 2 months.

There is a reason why HEM sky rocketed to be the best poker software out there. I have used PT3 quite a bit before HEM and I have to say even that seems better to me than HM2.

I'm eager to see what PT4 brings new because HM2 is a total failure in my view. They can probably patch it up in time and people will be forced to use it or PT4 because HEM will no longer be compatible with all the poker rooms' updates.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilrasso
      I like hm2. True it takes more system rescources, so not reccomended for slow systems.

It has a nice feature - aliases - that lets you merge stats from different players. For ppl playing multiple sites this is v nice. Also to make lifetime graphs and full year graphs if you have changed sites. (many ft players has this problem :D )

At launch it was very unstable, but now it runs close to perfect on my pc.

Im not a very advanced user tho, I mainly use the graph and a few stats in the hud. I believe that hm2 is a "bigger better" program compared to HM1, perhaps in the same sense that a hummer is a bigger better car than say a jeep.
      LOL ilrasso! :f_biggrin:

Aliases are present in HEM as well.

@Car analogy: Can't speak from experience but Hummer never looked like a good car to me. More like a big toy than anything...
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well personally i had some massive LAG issues with HM2 when multitabling long sessions. After like 2 hours of 12 tabling it get so laggy that its right out unplayable. I have to restart the computer if i want to continue playing.

Other then that i use pop-ups a lot and that was extremly laggy even at best of times and they didn't even pop up anymore once it started to lag really bad. It also crashes every so often.

Even tho autoimporting seems to work if i had no hands on a player when he joins a table the HUD for him will not pop up unless i restart HM2.

It does have a few new stats and its really cheap since they give you a discount(at least untill it freezes your comp during a 12tabling session) but overall just not worth getting myself on tilt because of all the issues i had with it.

On the other note i was using it on a new gaming computer that can run pretty much every new game i tried on the highest settings but for some reason HM2 total owns him. Maybe its beacuse i have a decently big database but then again every grinder has that.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Since on the subject, I opened it now to see the new updates, maybe try it in a session. I updated it, I launched it, it crashed. WP!