Freerolling fish - bankrollbuilding from $50

• Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      [march 2013 edit]
      this blog is inactive as of right now! i think it's still a good read though. :f_love:
      the old regular readers might want to just read the last post. :f_biggrin:
      [/edit]

2012 monthly goals history

november goals:
      [ ] VOLUME VOLUME - RUNBAD PLAYBAD RUNBAD PLAYBAD
      [ ] ???? - :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry:
      [ ] PROFIT! - nope and i can't bother to check how much was lost (i am writing this as of march 2013)

october
      [ ] maintain 2500 monthly strategypoints - 726 lol, took the month out
      [~] intangibles (learn something from platinum+ material and improve mental game) - some but not as much as i'd have liked
      [x] ???? - !!!!
      [x] PROFIT! - $70.06 in actual profit, $93.67 in EV. included in that figure is being down $58 in 754 hands of nl50 at the beginning of the month :D

september
      [x] achieve platinum status retake - you see that! second time is the charm indeed :heart:
      [x] ???? - !!!!
      [x] PROFIT! - -$16.62 in actual tables profit, $265.38 in EV. i'll consider it a success though for two reasons, EV bucks and a stars $50 VIP stellar reward bonus which actually puts me on the green for the month :D

august
      [ ] achieve platinum status here - lololol i got way too lazy, 2175 SP
      [x] ???? - !!!!
      [x] PROFIT! - $768.02 in actual profit, $562.13 in EV, not including rakeback and bonuses (nl2 not included)

july
      [x] achieve goldstar status retake - forgot how many i got exactly, but done! also this implied a side goal of estabilishing myself on NL25 and that was CRUSHED
      [x] ???? - !!!!
      [x] PROFIT! - $1144.98 in actual profit, $975.61 in EV, not including rakeback and bonuses

june
      [ ] achieve goldstar status - 1680.22 VPP
      [x] figure out the most convenient way to cash out a little to buy pokertracker - they accept neteller
      [x] ???? - !!!!
      [x] PROFIT! - $182.15 in actual profit, $195.43 in EV

may
      [x] move my roll to stars - done
      [x] play at least 15k hands - 40172
      [x] ???? - !!!!
      [x] PROFIT! - $154.04 in actual profit, $175.41 in EV

// end of goals listings

hello! :f_p:

i guess a new month is a generally good time to start a random blog.
      also, since this is the first post i figure i should probably divide it into sections denoted by cute suits and bolded characters. well whatever:

about me

at the time of writing i'm 20 and a IT student. i'm also a graduate of the NL BSS School :f_biggrin: you may also know me as a regular NL hand evaluation forum poster at the very lowest limits and regular forum troll.

i like to be reasonably good at everything that i do. in practice that means "somewhat above average but never master level" :f_confused:
      i used to play random MMO games a lot (not nowadays) and i also play a fair bit of online chess. i am officially unrated, but i consider myself at a "somewhat above average level" in it too. since that's a tough claim, i think i should provide you with a sample game played at a 15 0 time control which should allow you to take a guesstimate.
      i used to play at FICS, but some of my live chess club opponents were datamining me and by server rules i can't create another account to hide :f_mad: nowadays i play mostly at owl21.

that should be about the info that matters about myself :f_confused:

my pokering history

so... just why did i get into this?
      my college friends had already been playing for some time... and they'd talk about their success stories and go like "so why don't you try it too, there's even that cool pokerstrategy page that'll get you started" and while it was pretty easy for me as an exact sciences guy to understand that it's not so much about luck i still procrastinated a whole lot (huge reallife leak also) :f_biggrin:

just so that you have an idea, my profile page says that i registered on 1/17/11... but it took a while to move up from basic status :f_zZz:
      besides just being lazy, i was also a bit afraid of telling my parents :f_eek: anyway someday i randomly decided "whatever i'll try this thing out", took some hours to fully explain to my parents what i was going to do (not very easy, they are religious guys), like i'm not going to invest my money, my friends have already done it and IT WORKS, whatever. after a good while they finally were like "fine whatever" with it :f_love:
      that was in... late march. so from my registration here (which also took a while since being introduced to poker) to actually taking the quiz it went like 2 and a half months :f_zZz:

so that mostly explains the blog title also.
      "freerolling" because i have never worked on anything not starting capitals (i like that term :f_p: ), nor do i plan to. even if my parents probably would already understand if i wanted to deposit now :f_biggrin: i like the idea of taking a free something and seeing how high i can take it to from there.
      "fish" because... well, not really because i suck :f_mad: (...which i do i guess), but because i mostly play "for fun"... which logically makes me a recreational player :f_biggrin:
      actually i have no ambitions of playing like NL1K+ for a baller living. i'm a pretty modest guy, i could probably make a living with a solid wr on NL100 really :f_biggrin: but in any case i don't really plan on ever going pro, just on achieving a "somewhat above average level" which i'll know when i reach it. :f_biggrin:

my pokering career

so i passed the id check yay! :f_thumbsup:
      as i am such a wise guy i then proceeded to ask my friends about where should i take my starting capital to. it went something like this:
      "fulltilt (still alive and kicking at the time) and pokerstars have by far the best software. william hill is very fishy... you think you prefer a good room overall, you say? it's pretty close between fulltilt and stars, but, well... most of us like fulltilt better. yeah."

so... i ended up choosing fulltilt :f_cry:
      at first i ultimately would end up about breaking even over ~15k hands NL2 fullring. of course that was not useless at all, i had some obviously needed experiences with little heaters/downers and found out about HUDs... and the dangers of mass multitabling as a new player :f_eek:
      in the while i also randomly tried some SNG and FL... even after some reasonable ICM training i just thought that tourneys weren't the thing for me. FL went pretty well though, i kinda liked it and achieved a good winrate (don't remember) over a non-sample of 10k hands or something.

then... NL BSS School is announced! even being as lazy as i am i somehow knew that this had to be awesome. so i anxiously waited for the opening and quickly enrolled.
      nowadays the content is being presented as NL Beginners Course, but it definitely comes well recommended!
      i switched again from FL to NL to not come back... sometime halfway through the school i managed to amass some winnings at NL2 and together with my FL winnings i was already taking some successful shots at NL5 rush.

then... well, we all know what happened :f_cry: black friday, fulltilt closes down. that was a big moment, which made me reconsider what i think about poker, my goals with it and such.
      also, ofcourse... my capital is lost :f_eek: is that the end? :f_eek:

it well could be... but i got a $50 second aid from everest :f_eek: i used it to properly finish the NL BSS School and try my hand at SH tables. it went pretty fine, but after the school finished i took a break from pokerings.

late march (again) i came back.
      i'm currently playing NL5 SH everest. i lost my fulltilt graphs, but here are the everest ones:

SH2:

SH5:

some of the hands are not tracked for some reason, maybe some mess caused by switching between tracker program trials all the time :f_biggrin:
      bankroll is currently sitting at $214.05 :f_cool:

in the name of having fun i want to move my whole roll to stars to play ZOOM! also, stars software is much better ofc.
      i've already proactively verified my ID these days with neteller and everest, now i'm just waiting for the $20 from go for status and i'm moving! :D
      also i'd like to give a shoutout to everest live support, they answered all my questions with exactly what i wanted to know. maybe i just run good with customer support in general :D but have to give credit where it is due!

i expect the field in stars zoom to be tougher but overall i think i'm ready.
      also, i'll keep something in everest... after moving i'll convert my summit points into cash which i guess will be some $6 or something. i'll use that to randomly play shortstack NL2 when i feel like it :f_biggrin:
  • 477 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i've seen that people often post some hands on their blogs.
      some post bad beats, others post tough spots and some just post.
      i decided i'd post a hand in which i run good instead:

Everest - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $3.20
      CO: $3.03
      BTN: $6.83
      SB: $4.46
      Hero (BB): $6.33

SB posts SB $0.03, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.08) Hero has T:club: 9:club:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, BTN raises to $0.23, fold, ...

btn is a solid regular.
      this is utg:

100/5 over 20 hands at the time. had already flatted two 3bets :f_eek:

Hero raises to $0.77, ...
      i snap3bet just because. as soon as i click the button though...

UTG calls $0.72, BTN calls $0.54

AAAAHH what the hell am i doing! my fold equity vs utg is nearly zero, if it exists at all.
      and to make it worse the regular also calls. his range is ofcourse even wider than usual which 3way with these guys out of position 69% of the time means "i'm totally crushed with T high" (the other % are "i'm crushed with a draw" and "i'm crushed with bottom pair")

Flop: ($2.34, 3 players) 8:club: 6:heart: 6:spade:

Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN checks
      not really the best flop, and no point in cbetting when i can't even make UTG fold A high :f_cry:
      but at least i have a gutshot right?

Turn: ($2.34, 3 players) 7:spade:
      Hero bets $1.11, UTG calls $1.11, BTN calls $1.11

YESYESYES thanks pokergods!
      i get so happy that i bet on the very low side.

River: ($5.67, 3 players) 2:heart:
      Hero bets $2.00,

i go for utg's stack while not sure if bet/folding vs the regular. i think if he raises at this point it's almost 100% that i was being slowrolled by a fullhouse

fold, fold

Hero wins $5.31
      well whatever. in any case it was definitely good to scoop a 1BI pot without showing that i 3bet relative trash OOP with zero fold equity

• Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      now i understand what they mean by that posting an upwards graph leads to insta doomswitch :f_eek:
      this is yesterday's graph:

i think i played pretty well except for the very last minutes but nothing special really, just barreling some draws that didn't materialize and valuetowning myself vs calling stations hitting twopair. i won't bore you with the gory details... :f_zZz:

current bankroll: $205.46
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      this was my most profitable hand from yesterday btw:

Everest - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

CO: $4.82
      BTN: $3.48
      SB: $1.65
      BB: $1.75
      UTG: $9.17
      Hero (MP): $4.79

SB posts SB $0.03, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.08) Hero has J:spade: A:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.16, fold, BTN raises to $0.27, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.11

Flop: ($0.62, 2 players) 5:club: 2:club: K:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.62, Hero calls $0.62

Turn: ($1.86, 2 players) K:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.59 and is all-in, Hero raises to $3.90 and is all-in

River: ($7.04, 2 players) T:club:

Hero shows J:spade: A:club: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 77%, Flop 87%, Turn 93%)
      BTN shows 3:diamond: J:club: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 23%, Flop 13%, Turn 7%)
      Hero wins $6.58
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Very nice blog. Fun to read =)
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      subscribed. :)
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Nice blog. I don't understand the call when he overbets the river though. If you could please explain your reasoning on that one... Lol
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      thanks guys :f_biggrin:

Originally posted by FlashDavin
      Nice blog. I don't understand the call when he overbets the river though. If you could please explain your reasoning on that one... Lol
      yeah sure:

it's like they say (..who?), you never know when you'll have to slowplay A high.

actually i couldn't hit anything the whole session and eventually grew tired of waiting to stack him with bottom pair (tilt!) and figured "whatever, A high is good"
      while i think the calldown is correct vs his any two range :f_eek: it's probably still very marginal, like 60/40 or something. but at least i get something to brag about :f_p:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      so this is the graph for the day:

the point where green line and ev line diverge badly is when we shove flop and villain hits a 2-outer.
      still i guess it's fair enough :f_biggrin: these things happen.

no particularly interesting hands today, sorry ;( so forgive me as i fill up with something random.
      near the graph's end i sit at a table with some random gambling fish flipping4rollz. unfortunately i lost the key hand:

Everest - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players

Hero (SB): $4.95
      BB: $5.85
      UTG: $1.75
      BTN: $2.98

Hero posts SB $0.03, BB posts BB $0.05, UTG posts DB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.13) Hero has A:spade: Q:club:

UTG raises to $0.76, BTN raises to $2.98 and is all-in, Hero raises to $4.95 and is all-in, fold, UTG calls $0.99 and is all-in

Flop: ($7.76, 3 players) J:club: 3:club: 9:diamond:

Turn: ($7.76, 3 players) J:spade:

River: ($7.76, 3 players) 5:club:

Hero shows A:spade: Q:club: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 43%, Flop 23%, Turn 0%)
      UTG shows T:heart: A:heart: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 23%, Flop 5%, Turn 0%)
      BTN shows J:heart: K:spade: (Three of a Kind, Jacks) (Pre 35%, Flop 72%, Turn 100%)
      BTN wins $4.95
      BTN wins $2.31

later though i managed to suck out KQ vs AK to break even :f_biggrin:

all in all a reasonable day, even though a losing one.
      hope tomorrow's a winner :f_love:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      sudden random update! i randomly decided that i'd play some more instead.
      new graph (including hands from previous graph):

played pretty well overall and even managed to get value with a set :f_biggrin: (hand evaluation post)
      i was needing one of these.

i guess i'll also post it here for all of you:

CO: $5.31
      BTN: $4.84
      SB: $8.95
      BB: $2.45
      UTG: $11.17
      Hero (MP): $5.71

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.08) Hero has 8:heart: 8:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to $0.16, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.53, fold, Hero calls $0.37
      32/23/8.6/809 (vpip/pfr/3bet/hands)

Flop: ($1.11, 2 players) 6:diamond: 9:spade: 8:spade:
      SB bets $0.77, ...

Hero raises to $2.22, SB raises to $7.77, Hero calls $2.96 and is all-in

SB shows A:diamond: A:club: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 80%, Flop 11%)
      Hero shows 8:heart: 8:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Eights) (Pre 20%, Flop 89%)

Turn: ($11.47, 2 players) 3:spade:

River: ($11.47, 2 players) K:diamond:

SB shows A:diamond: A:club: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 80%, Flop 11%, Turn 5%)
      Hero shows 8:heart: 8:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Eights) (Pre 20%, Flop 89%, Turn 95%)
      Hero wins $10.71

so i had a winning day after all!
      hope this is one of many this month :f_biggrin:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Loving the GIFs :D

Good luck with your goals :)
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze

i had this odd dream where i was playing zoom poker.
      of course when i woke up i went on to check my stars balance and it was $0.00...

darn :f_biggrin:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      :(

How is Everest for generally fishiness?

Haven't played there in a long time now!
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i'm not really sure. at peak times you can find NL5 SH tables with 5/6 regs :f_eek:
      the best tables will most often still have 2-3 regs. so well, it's not easy to get 4 good tables going :f_mad:

at late times there are only 2 or 3 tables available anyway :f_biggrin: the level of players then is pretty random.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      today graph so far:

i wish i could attribute it all to runbad but that's not the whole picture really, i didn't play well at all.
      still here's a random hand:

BB: $5.75
      Hero (UTG): $5.36
      MP: $7.10
      CO: $2.44
      BTN: $5.40
      SB: $4.95

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.08) Hero has A:club: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.16, MP calls $0.16, fold, fold, fold, fold
      MP:

30/4/58hands, he had been running pretty good so a shiny one.

Flop: ($0.40, 2 players) K:diamond: 4:club: 5:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.30, MP calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.00, 2 players) T:club:
      Hero bets $0.80, MP calls $0.80

River: ($2.60, 2 players) 5:club:
      Hero bets $1.23, MP calls $1.23
      i should still have bet higher ofcourse. sometimes i forget i'm playing calling stations :f_eek:

Hero shows A:club: K:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Fives) (Pre 60%, Flop 77%, Turn 75%)
      MP shows 6:club: 8:club: (Flush, Ten High) (Pre 40%, Flop 23%, Turn 25%)
      MP wins $4.74

does he call river to balance his river range ?(
      i haven't been running particularly well against calling stations. whatever thelongrun lalala

will play another session later :f_biggrin:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      so here is today's graph. again i somehow managed to turn the tables :f_biggrin:

new session was not looking very promising, to begin i got stacked by another rivered draw. but i managed to hang on :f_rolleyes:

later on i finally managed to get what felt like revenge against the calling stations:

SB: $1.70
      Hero (BB): $5.87
      UTG: $12.07
      MP: $5.18
      CO: $4.35
      BTN: $9.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.08) Hero has A:heart: K:heart:

fold, MP calls $0.05, fold, BTN calls $0.05, SB raises to $0.31, Hero calls $0.26, MP calls $0.26, BTN calls $0.26

as you have probably noticed this was what the table looked like:

raiser was 19/15. thankfully he had only 34BB and as such not a huge threat
      i don't 3bet mostly because i don't want to just flip with him and scare the stations off.

Flop: ($1.24, 4 players) J:diamond: K:club: K:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.51, MP calls $0.51, fold, fold

i try to keep the two stations in the pot which would allow for some very easy potbuilding.

Turn: ($2.26, 2 players) 2:heart:
      Hero bets $1.69, ...

here he tanks...
      oh freaking damn did i just make him fold his 55 with such a huge bet?

MP calls $1.69

of course not! how silly of me. calling stations don't fold, i should really know better

River: ($5.64, 2 players) 6:club:
      Hero bets $3.36 and is all-in, MP calls $2.67 and is all-in

Hero shows A:heart: K:heart: (Three of a Kind, Kings) (Pre 75%, Flop 99%, Turn 100%)
      MP shows J:club: A:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Jacks) (Pre 25%, Flop 1%, Turn 0%)
      Hero wins $10.26

still i'm down like 1~2 BI against them for the month :f_cry:
      well whatever. there are 4 tables available right now :f_confused: i'm tired but i see some more stations there so i guess i'll play another session in pure nitbox style. wish me rungood :f_love:

current bankroll: $210.18
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      The 68 hand is nasty, I don't see why he is calling your flop bet even though he has the gut shot.

The AK hand is nice, I struggle to get value in spots like that so I'm taking a note of this ;)
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      I don't see why he is calling your flop bet even though he has the gut shot
      there is the reason! :f_biggrin:

just the ways of poker :f_biggrin: will profit in the long run keep A-game etc...
      ...i couldn't so i took a break there :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      I don't see why he is calling your flop bet even though he has the gut shot
      there is the reason! :f_biggrin:

just the ways of poker :f_biggrin: will profit in the long run keep A-game etc...
      ...i couldn't so i took a break there :D
      [ ] has odds to call though is what I meant :D forgot to say that though :facepalm:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      oh right :D but calling stations are not particularly known for calling according to odds anyway :D

anyway this is today's graph including the latest session:

i was supposed to play like a nit but i ended up playing 23/20 anyway :f_biggrin:
      anyway it was profitable, afforded to not make any huge mistakes postflop (imo) even as tired as i was :D +$5.47

from this session i'll leave you a hand about the art of betting low when you're ahead and getting your money in when you're behind:

UTG: $1.60
      MP: $4.33
      CO: $7.36
      BTN: $3.79
      SB: $0.80
      Hero (BB): $6.16

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.08) Hero has 5:heart: 2:diamond:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.02, Hero checks
      UTG is 45/12/35hands

Flop: ($0.15, 3 players) 8:heart: A:heart: 4:club:
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets $0.05, SB calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05

Turn: ($0.30, 3 players) 6:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets $0.11, fold, Hero calls $0.11

River: ($0.52, 2 players) 3:club:
      Hero bets $0.35, UTG raises to $0.70, Hero raises to $2.62, UTG calls $0.69 and is all-in

Hero shows 5:heart: 2:diamond: (Straight, Six High) (Pre 32%, Flop 23%, Turn 18%)
      UTG shows T:club: A:club: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 68%, Flop 77%, Turn 82%)
      Hero wins $3.08