How important is a backup internet connection?

• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      Today, I got disconnected which cost me a bunch and tipped me over the edge and I will now look into getting a backup connection.

I wanted to know what are the other people's opinions of this topic.

So, how important is a backup connection for a poker pro on a scale of 1 to 10 and do you have one yourself?
  • 20 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      In CG up to like NL200 ~3/10, at higher stakes it obv goes up. SNG/MTT 10/10 playing at reasonable stakes. IMO.

Don't have one because my internet connection is very steady and I play CG.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      For a recreational fish like me who plays once a month it's not important at all :D

Guess it depends on who you are and what limits you are playing. Basically what NightFrostaSS said :P
    • mohsinj677
      mohsinj677
      Global
      :f_cool: This post is so great and nice :s_evil:

In CG up to like NL200 ~3/10, at higher stakes it obv goes up. SNG/MTT 10/10 playing at reasonable stakes. IMO.

Don't have one because my internet connection is very steady and I play CG.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      depends on how solid your usual connection is, how much it costs and how much equity you stand to lose on avg when it breaks.

my connection is reliable therefore i do not have one... power cuts are my nemesis.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      For a recreational fish like me who plays once a month it's not important at all :D

Guess it depends on who you are and what limits you are playing. Basically what NightFrostaSS said :P

Come on Gary, you only play once a month because you are self excluded 30 times a month lol :tongue:
    • kierantierney
      kierantierney
      Bronze
      I've had the same problem. Play mostly SNGs. Reraised with AA, disconected and left with nothing when I reconnect again. Is there anyway to check if its your connection, your software or your machine?
    • LendarTecho
      LendarTecho
      Bronze
      I have also lost some money because of my connection when I played SNGs and that is why I switched to cash games{later I have realized that it was a good thing, cuz I am better at cash games}.
    • TeddyBjornen
      TeddyBjornen
      Bronze
      If its +ev to buy a backup-connection you do it. but if you spend more money on the backup than u loose, then its not worth it.
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      I just use my phone as a 3g modem in rare cases when internet goes down
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      This is a classic risk/benefit question.

Fortunately, I have never studied economics, so I have no idea what the proper way to analyse this is.

However, since I never let lack of knowledge prevent me from posting...
      1)  How much does a backup internet connection cost per month?
      2)  How much do you lose each month because your connection drops?
      3)  How much of the amount in Q 2 will you avoid losing if you have a backup connection.?

If the amount in Q 3 is greater on average than the amount in Q 1, then it makes sense to have a backup.

Otherwise, it doesn't.

Peace,
      --VS
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      CG shouldn't be a problem with standard connection (maybe once a year you get DCed during pot with big money invested already)

High stakes comp def. worth it - Lost a lot of cash this way in the past (returning just in time to see myself get blinded out bubble :( )

High stakes SnGs - Again def. worth it especially if you are multi-tabler

GL GL GL
    • kashmiruzi
      kashmiruzi
      Gold
      definitely nothing bu t + EV longterm, even more so depending on the stakes you play and the quality of your current connection.

i believe this would fall under the economic theory of opportunity cost.
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      If u have a shitty connection yes :D I played 12-15 tables cg on nl5 on 100 billion milestone timing and the night it hit my connection was down which easily cost me 500$ coz it nl5 and could have been on the table where it hit (that is optimistic but yes considering it was my limit :P )

and its costs 100$ here for a yearly connection thats 4years of free internet If it would have been stable that day But I am not a winning player so have to deal with it :P
    • VladimirN
      VladimirN
      Bronze
      One 20 min connection cut cost me around 100-150e which is a yearly internet cost at a rather quick speeds. After a couple of cuts, got myself a spare and it paid off already.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      Unnecessary for cgs. Too slow to re-connect to the back-up connection during a pot.
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kashmiruzi
      definitely nothing bu t + EV longterm, even more so depending on the stakes you play and the quality of your current connection.

i believe this would fall under the economic theory of opportunity cost.
      Big props with the economic reasoning - +EV reference ;)
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      A backup internet connection is pretty necessary with poker or not. If you have a decent smart phone you can use that as a back up
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by inoimbluffingdou
      A backup internet connection is pretty necessary with poker or not. If you have a decent smart phone you can use that as a back up
      Now why didn't I think of that?!?

Very good idea, inoimbluffingdou !
      --VS
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      I do not lose internet connection often.

But the power grid goes down regularly here.

I play MTTs so I have battery backup for my routers and computer.

If the black out is too long, I use only my laptop on battery and my routers for internet.

I'd love to have a Windows 8 Tablet with 3G phone connection. That would not be just for backup but playing anywhere I want.

Don't know how it cost though. The 3G unlimited data plan must cost a bunch.