dating as a pro

• DennisVT1980RNMD
      DennisVT1980RNMD
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

My question is mainly for those who play poker professionally, but any other insights are welcome of course.:)

Do you guys find this job a problem when it comes to dating? When a girl/woman asks what you do for a living, do you tell them straight up? What kind of replys do you usually get?
      How do you handle these situations?

If any of you guys have a long(er) term relationship, what are your girlfriends opinion on this?
      I'm 35.
      Thanks.
  • 10 replies
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Whats wrong with being a professional poker player?

I think the problem might be internal for you. How do you feel about being a poker player? I'm sure if you're confident about being a poker pro then I think a lot more ladies will be after you ;)
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey!

I would say that the reaction to "I'm a professional poker player" depends on the girl - how open-minded she is, is she more of the adventurous type or not, what needs she has at the particular moment (stability, kids, etc.). If she is future-oriented, in a way that she wants a predictable, stable situation - hearing that someone plays poker for a living (often hearing: gambling for a living) might be a no go. If, on the other hand, the girl is younger or takes things rather easy - poker career is likely to be perceived as cool.

It also depends on how much she knows about poker - I'd presume that most girls out there are not very familiar with the topic. The more she knows, the better the chance that she will be okay with dating a poker player. :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      On the other hand, what if the professional player is a lady? This would be a much more difficult situation I should think, especially in some cultures perhaps not as liberal as we might hope for.

I used to get turned down for dates because I was a teacher! Apparently, all we think about is work. :censored:

Surely the date is conditional upon compatibility, rather than the job description? Although I have to admit, sometimes our job description can be part of our makeup, as it were.

Mal.
    • Johnis
      Johnis
      Bronze
      Tell her that you are investor (short term-high risk, if they want you to be more precise). By the way, there was a thread with the same topic some time ago, you might wanna look for it, since it had some pretty funny responses.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      link to that johnis please?
      I think it was slightly different - it was about already having a gf :P
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by gadget51
      I used to get turned down for dates because I was a teacher! Apparently, all we think about is work. :censored:
      Librarian FTW :coolface:

My only comment is: Be honest! If you try some dodge like "I'm an investor in short-term high-risk investments", then when she finds out this isn't what is sounds like then what?

If she (or he) is going to turn you down because you play poker for a living -- that is not the person for you anyway.

If I was in the dating game I could say something like, "I'm a rocket scientist [1] , but right now I'm making more money playing poker."

Best of luck,
      VS

[1] I'm not really a rocket scientist, in case anyone was wondering :coolface:
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      If she (or he) is going to turn you down because you play poker for a living -- that is not the person for you anyway.
      True! :milord:
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I've searched the forum for threads that might help you:

Telling People/Friends You Play Poker?

POKER VS GIRLFRIEND share your story
      reactions to "i play poker"
      Explaining Poker to Friends / Family
    • maythany
      maythany