This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

dating as a pro

• DennisVT1980RNMD
      DennisVT1980RNMD
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

My question is mainly for those who play poker professionally, but any other insights are welcome of course.:)

Do you guys find this job a problem when it comes to dating? When a girl/woman asks what you do for a living, do you tell them straight up? What kind of replys do you usually get?
      How do you handle these situations?

If any of you guys have a long(er) term relationship, what are your girlfriends opinion on this?
      I'm 35.
      Thanks.
  • 10 replies
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Whats wrong with being a professional poker player?

I think the problem might be internal for you. How do you feel about being a poker player? I'm sure if you're confident about being a poker pro then I think a lot more ladies will be after you ;)
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey!

I would say that the reaction to "I'm a professional poker player" depends on the girl - how open-minded she is, is she more of the adventurous type or not, what needs she has at the particular moment (stability, kids, etc.). If she is future-oriented, in a way that she wants a predictable, stable situation - hearing that someone plays poker for a living (often hearing: gambling for a living) might be a no go. If, on the other hand, the girl is younger or takes things rather easy - poker career is likely to be perceived as cool.

It also depends on how much she knows about poker - I'd presume that most girls out there are not very familiar with the topic. The more she knows, the better the chance that she will be okay with dating a poker player. :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      On the other hand, what if the professional player is a lady? This would be a much more difficult situation I should think, especially in some cultures perhaps not as liberal as we might hope for.

I used to get turned down for dates because I was a teacher! Apparently, all we think about is work. :censored:

Surely the date is conditional upon compatibility, rather than the job description? Although I have to admit, sometimes our job description can be part of our makeup, as it were.

Mal.
    • Johnis
      Johnis
      Bronze
      Tell her that you are investor (short term-high risk, if they want you to be more precise). By the way, there was a thread with the same topic some time ago, you might wanna look for it, since it had some pretty funny responses.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      link to that johnis please?
      I think it was slightly different - it was about already having a gf :P
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by gadget51
      I used to get turned down for dates because I was a teacher! Apparently, all we think about is work. :censored:
      Librarian FTW :coolface:

My only comment is: Be honest! If you try some dodge like "I'm an investor in short-term high-risk investments", then when she finds out this isn't what is sounds like then what?

If she (or he) is going to turn you down because you play poker for a living -- that is not the person for you anyway.

If I was in the dating game I could say something like, "I'm a rocket scientist [1] , but right now I'm making more money playing poker."

Best of luck,
      VS

[1] I'm not really a rocket scientist, in case anyone was wondering :coolface:
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      If she (or he) is going to turn you down because you play poker for a living -- that is not the person for you anyway.
      True! :milord:
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I've searched the forum for threads that might help you:

Telling People/Friends You Play Poker?

POKER VS GIRLFRIEND share your story
      reactions to "i play poker"
      Explaining Poker to Friends / Family
    • maythany
      maythany