Gavin's School of Fish

• gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Hiya, thanks for reading my new blog thread. Some of you might remember my foray into SNG's - which went really well, but kind of got frustrating after a while...maybe I just don't have a tolerance for so many suckouts - or such swingyness - something I didn' t expect so much of when I started out.

I took some time away from poker to concentrate on starting a business doing something I've done as a hobby for years and really enjoy. I took some business classes free from the government - who also are subsidizing my income for the year. It's expensive to live here in Toronto - about $2500 a month, and even more if you are starting your own business. There's no way I'd be able to do it without going into huge debt otherwise (I already plan a fair bit)

I did play a bit of poker during this time, some more turbo SNG's (mostly breakeven and sometimes even boring. Possibly I'm wasting some edge while so many fish are in the cash games and MTT's) I know SNG's are profitable - but there's also a cost. I do see some SNG players switching to cash lately (even coaches) but not many the other way around.

I also know having a good grounding in cash games can be helpful in your MTT play (winning the big MTT is always the dream) as well as SNG's. I have about 25BI for NL10 - but I decided I have to play short handed for the simple fact that FR tables are where the SSS players hang out. Short stacks don't have any real strategy proven to work for shorthanded, and midstacks are just bad. The SH tables have more loose play, and there's more opportunity to improve your postflop game that you won't get at FR tables - not to mention higher hourly rate if I'm winning.

There are several things I did to prepare before I dove in.

:diamond: Reread the bronze and silver articles (not all yet)
      :diamond: Watch all the NL SH videos I can - watch them again
      :diamond: Read some hand postings in NL section (many are SH)

As I play I plan to

:diamond: Review at the end of each session - and possibly before starting.
      :diamond: Find some trends or leaks if possible - already I have found some.
      :diamond: Post hands for evaluation where I think I played poorly
      :diamond: Attend coachings and hopefully team up for coachings (anyone?)
      :diamond: Update this thread with charts, hands and maybe some news about my business venture.

Hope you enjoy the ride - I expect it will be a bumpy one at first. Don't be shy to post any thoughts, advice. It's always welcome.

Good fortune on the tables. :f_cool:
  • 96 replies
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Things I learned about myself so far:

:spade: I call down huge bets sometimes when I know I'm beat because I just want to see if I'm being bluffed.

:spade: I three bet bluff the fish, and then contibet the flop that I missed.

:spade: Just because I start winning at 100BB/100 for the first thousand hands doesn't mean my winrate will stay that high, it certainly won't. Variance is a bitch.

:spade: I can call a 4bet all in with QQ and think it's good because I have position! :f_eek:

:spade: About 1000 hands is a good time to take a break, 2000 is too many.

:spade: Don't make moves or assumptions based on the first few rounds of play or just because I think I can get away with it.

More to come I'm sure!

Good fortune.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hey gavin, good luck in ur venture. what sort of business did you start?
      also just starting out in NL SH. have some of the same leaks you do. :f_eek:
      hopefully, we'll learn and do really well soon. :)
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      So far so good. I mean, at least I'm beating the rake :)

Since deciding to take NLSH seriously I've reread many articles starting from bronze. I decided to tighten up a bit, at least until I had many more hands experience to deal with some tricky postflop situations that I would find myself in because of bluffs, 3bets and blind defense.

My usual style would be anywhere from 25/20 to19/16 rarely below that. I made some adjustments - tightening up with 3bets mostly and blind defenses, and my non-showdown winnings went down. I was getting creamed by blind stealers and shortstacks that I didn't have odds to call (I don't understand how shortstacks can expect to play SH profitably?) I loosened up just a tiny bit - and played back at some limpers in position more often with more marginal hands. This immediately showed results as I had initiative in the pot more often and could cbet or not depending on the board and the opponent.

I think I played this 1000 hand set fairly solid - coming out at -1BB/100 hands. I got a lucky stack with a full house resuck on the river against a fish that called my AA with 36s and flopped a flush (called all in on the turn - I posted in the hand forum if you are interested it's a close call I think and I don't quite understand my odds)

I also had position at one table on a maniac. He was raising 13BB from MP, and then started going all in every hand. I had a hand ATo, and normally wouldn't do this, but I'm still learning and I had an idea I was well ahead of his 58o.. turned out he had A8o instead and I stacked him when both of us missed the board. He split before the next hand started but you can always make notes with the hand history!

I won't bore you with a leveling graph - it went up, then down, then back to near break even. Instead here's my first installment of

Know your Fish

This Stonefish (Synanceia Verrucosahas) can blend invisibly into the rocks, which makes this fish even deadlier. Its poison comes from the 13 spines on it's dorsal area which release venom from two sacs attached to each spine. This venom causes severe pain with possible shock, paralysis and tissue death depending on the depth of the penetration and it can be fatal if not treated within 2-3 hours. As with deadly spider and snake bites a firm bandage should be applied as soon as possible. You should immediately run the wound under hot water at least 43 degree Celsius (109 Fahrenheit). People are most often stung when they step on a Stonefish, so be sure to tread lightly and keep your eyes open if you are in the Pacific or Indian Oceans and particularly in the Great Barrier Reef and the Red Sea.

I've even seen one of these myself, it had to be pointed out to me. Here's a photo I took a few years ago of one I encountered while SCUBA diving in the Red Sea.

Hi purplefizz, my business is really in the early stages and I can't give anything much away just yet.. I hope to be launching in a few weeks and well, I might not be gavinonymous any longer ;)

if you are up late (or early) the same time as me, I use skype and teamviewer - if you like we can try a session together (hopefully not as boring as my last one!) best of luck on the tables to you too!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      you seem to be around same time as me now since ur posting and everything. i would be open to doing a session if you're willing to induct me into how one is done. :) never tried it before.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      I think I can help get you started purplefizz

Do you use skype? if not, go download skype at skype.com sign up and then tell me your username, I can add you as a contact and we can talk to eachother and type chat.

you can download teamviewer from teamviewer.com and it's fairly straightforward from there - I can walk you through it on skype. either I make a session where you connect to and you can see my screen, or you make one and I see your screen.

let me know how you make out.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      had a fun session on Pacific 888 with the new starting capital. I took a shot at NL20SH (yes I know it's way out of BRM, but I think it's the most value I'm going to get there, since I have a hard time adjusting to software issues.)

So in I go, and I'm watching NL video on 3betting. When this happens:

BTN: $4.99
      SB: $26.28
      BB: $7.30
      UTG: $64.88
      Hero (MP): $23.74
      CO: $18.52

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is MP with J :spade: J :diamond:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.80, 3 folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.70) 9 :diamond: 5 :heart: 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $1.49, BB calls $1.29

Turn: ($4.68) 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $3.50, BB calls $3.30

River: ($11.68) 6 :club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $7, BB calls $1.51 all in

Final Pot: $14.70
      BB shows 7 :diamond: 5 :diamond:
      Hero shows J :spade: J :diamond:
      BB wins $13.97
      (Rake: $0.73)

I should have just called the turn and folded the river I think. I guess I'm not that good yet - this guy was a real fish. I love the minbets.

I win back up to about $50 and I sit at another NL20SH table with a full stack - just to demonstrate how bad it can be when your BRM is nonexistent. I know I'm going to go broke one way or another with this starting capital..I could also use the experience at this limit and not so much risk to myself.

I can tell by the fourth hand that there's a lot of fish at my table and I get a decent hand.

Yellow_Cab (BB): $20.00
      DovidasP (CO): $24.90
      Hero (BTN): $19.70
      actionscooty (SB): $19.60

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is BTN with Q :diamond: A :club:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.80, actionscooty calls $0.70, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.80) 9 :spade: 6 :club: A :spade: (2 players)
      actionscooty checks, Hero bets $1.50, actionscooty calls $1.50

Turn: ($4.80) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      actionscooty checks, Hero bets $3.56, actionscooty raises to $10, Hero raises to $17.40, actionscooty calls $7.30 all in

River: ($39.40) J :spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $39.40
      Hero shows Q :diamond: A :club:
      actionscooty shows 8 :club: 8 :spade:
      actionscooty wins $37.43
      (Rake: $1.97)

I put him on a worse A.. or a lower PP - I have to say I usually stack my opponent too when I hit trips on the turn. I'm going to post this one in the forum.

So now I'm down to $30.. I'm determined to blow my stack I guess, but I'm learning something at least. I'm watching the video on BSS Pot Control.

caloma1 (CO): $20.46
      Hero (BTN): $19.90
      WTF.WasntMe (SB): $19.50
      SaM_CoN (BB): $11.71
      MIKE_PJ_182 (UTG): $12.58
      actionscooty (MP): $37.67

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is BTN with A :diamond: J :club:
      1 fold, actionscooty raises to $0.70, caloma1 calls $0.70, Hero raises to $3, 3 folds, caloma1 calls $2.30

Flop: ($7.00) 4 :heart: Q :spade: A :spade: (2 players)
      caloma1 bets $0.20, Hero raises to $4.80, caloma1 calls $4.60

Turn: ($16.60) 8 :heart: (2 players)
      caloma1 bets $1.24, Hero calls $1.24

River: ($19.08) 3 :heart: (2 players)
      caloma1 bets $4.46, Hero calls $4.46

Final Pot: $28.00
      caloma1 shows 8 :club: 4 :spade:
      caloma1 wins $26.60
      (Rake: $1.40)

Have to think again about that one for a bit. Action scooty says well played to caloma1 - who turns out to be a complete maniac. He minraises almost every hand, sometimes more, and makes ridiculous bets on the flop. He went all in when I had AJs, and I was sooo tempted to call, but I was scared for my last $15. Yeh, I didn't even have a full stack left but I played on.

I was now determined to take all of caloma's chips or die trying. Next hand caloma stacks actionscooty slowplaying AK to his AJ, which gave me endless ironic pleasure. But I played, and watched and played more and more and got back to $20.. I was fearless against the fish 3betting and 4betting him with better hands knowing he likely had garbage. I took a few pots down on the flop after 3bets, and he tightened up against me a tiny bit from then on.

caloma1 (UTG): $56.10
      Hero (MP): $20.40
      WTF.WasntMe (CO): $20.00
      Chaquito (BTN): $19.37
      SaM_CoN (SB): $19.41
      MIKE_PJ_182 (BB): $25.09

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is MP with K :club: Q :club:
      caloma1 raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.50, 4 folds, caloma1 raises to $2.60, Hero raises to $8.10, caloma1 calls $5.50

Flop: ($16.50) T :diamond: 8 :heart: K :heart: (2 players)
      caloma1 checks, Hero bets $12.30, caloma1 calls $12.30

Turn: ($41.10) 5 :heart: (2 players)

River: ($41.10) Q :diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $41.10
      caloma1 shows 2 :club: A :heart:
      Hero shows K :club: Q :club:
      Hero wins $39.05
      (Rake: $2.05)

from there I didn't have long until I took the rest of his $56.. he split immediately after this happened (I love the chat comment too..)

those two videos were great. I'm going to go watch them again before I play NL50SH on pacific888!! j.k, I'm not ready for that yet :f_p:
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      is it either teamviewer OR skype? or do i need both?

ps sorry in advance if any of my questions are stupid. :f_confused:
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      is it either teamviewer OR skype? or do i need both?

ps sorry in advance if any of my questions are stupid. :f_confused:
      no worry purplefizz. you need both. skype is for the audio (you need a headset or a microphone at least for you pc to use it well) - and the teamviewer is just to let us see eachother's screens.

last night was fun again.. I played NL10SH on stars and broke even for 666 hands. A guy on our table had position on a LAG (who was quite good while appearing completely fishy) and built his stack to $60 (on a 10$ table!) I lost a BI or 2 on other tables

One guy who I've won a few $$ from decides he's done for the night and declares he's going all in every hand.... second hand I get AA, and raise - he reraises all in.. and of course I call, he turns over 89s and beats me on the river with a straight (ofc) But I smiled. I knew I would do that again and again... AA are profitable no matter what. and I proved it later.

So gonazalez26 is totally tilting, and this LAG (nuuuubie) finds that he's moved his tilt up to the 25$ tables (to win back his losses quicker - I know that strategy!) and goes on the waiting list. I join too - and we meet gonzalez26 again. He's just tripled up with a straight flush on the turn and has $75 at the table.

Gonzalez26 has position on me and I get AhAs in the SB. Raise - 3bet - 4bet - 5bet all in and he calls. The board comes club club club heart... club (I get that sinking feeling in my stomach) and he turns over KK with NO CLUB!!

Earlier I had called down a big river bluff from a tight passive player when I had trips and a 3hearts showing on the board. It didn't make sense that he would bet into me instead of just raising my bet - which he knew was coming. That was a nice pot.

So I erased all my loss and won another $40 for the short session thanks to NL25. I like the action there a lot better - I was getting 3bet light, and I could 4 bet in position nicely to get folds or real good initiative on the flop.

I see a lot of tight players make most of their money playing back against other players - resteals etc.. I'm thinking of trying to filter stats by position to see if I can notice anything. I like NL25 - I can't wait til I am actually rolled for it!

Back to NL10 for now (I'll do my NL20 on pacific until I'm broke, or what have you - but it's good experience)

I read more bronze articles - the one about how to play on the flop is gold. I also love the videos for BSS in silver section - they are really really helpful.

Think I'm supposed to go out and party tonight so no poker, well maybe a bit when I get back.

Good fortune!
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Hey gavin.

One question - where did you convert these hands from Pacifc?
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      hi berkstajger. I use the converter at http://www.thehandconverter.com

I just copy paste the text from the hand history file. I use the search function to search for. 'dealt to 'player'' to find the hands. not ideal, but it works.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      alright. i've got skype. name is: ---
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      nice session gavin... way to slay those NL10 fish :)

just wanted to say thanks. it was pretty cool, had a lot of fun.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Hi purplefizz. Thanks for your nice words. I had fun too - hope to watch you play next time (I'm on night shift again so could be soon if you want)

I ran into a couple of bad beats and have been levelling for the last little bit in NL10SH, but I'm coming on again. My winrate is hovering around 20BB/100 hands lately and it's 2 steps forward one step back. I'm getting horribly sucked out for stacks occasionaly -

I lost QQ to AJo, flop was QA4 unsuited - we get all in on the flop and he backdoors his flush!

I won AKs to 44 after 3betting in position, flop gives me nut flush and villain calls my check raise on the flop to all in on the turn.

I hit 2 pair in an unraised pot - opponent limped with 77 hits trips and stacks me. I should be more careful in unraised pots when I hit two pair. I might have lost focus.

I'm quitting sessions now when things start to get blurry or I'm up significantly. I'm also table selecting much more - leaving after a couple of rounds if there's no fish on my right and/or one on my left.

If someone's three betting me light I'm still wondering about calling in position with suited connectors or Axs - even pairs. I'll be watching the 3-betting video again. I know it's more useful on NL25, there's not a lot of opportunity to 3bet in NL10 with so many limpers. (Why do so many people limp monsters utg or cold call them in BB? not that I mind, but I have to be way more careful of these fish)

More grinding this weekend - taking on the teaming schools of would be Negraneaus and Deebs of the world. There will be lots of flop checking and conti-betting the turn instead if it looks safe. I've also finally got a handle on value betting the river, with mostly good results. I'll try so hard this time not to bluff the fish, there is almost zero fold equity to be had. You have to...

Know Your Fish

Barracudas occur both singly and in groups around reefs, but also appear in open seas. The collective name for a group of barracudas is a battery. They are voracious predators and hunt using a classic example of lie-in-wait or ambush. They rely on surprise and short bursts of speed (up to 28 miles per hour (45 km/h)) to overrun their prey, sacrificing maneuverability.

Adult barracudas are more or less solitary in their habits, while young and half-grown fish frequently congregate in schools. These fish do not care for their young. A barracuda's diet is composed of fish of all types. Large barracudas, when gorged, may attempt to herd a shoal of prey fish in shallow water, where they will guard over the fish until they are ready for another meal. Large barracudas have been known to eat young barracudas.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Hey i have also jsut started blogging my NL10 adventure , I would be interested in doing some sweat sessions as its something I've never done before and am looking for different ways to improve my game, hit me back if you are intereted!
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Last week I only played 7k hands, but I think that's alright. I'm more 3 tabling and sometimes 2 tabling while doing other things. I'm trying to concentrate on adjusting to opponents and playing good hands in position.

Last update I was thinking I didn't 3 bet enough. I was only 5% or so 3betting preflop, and probably calling too much with hands like QJ or even Axs. I think I've improved here, my 3bet is up to 6.5% and I'm winning overall in hands where I've 3bet preflop it makes sense to do it a little more.

I'm also having a decent time with the fish, even though I'm still getting trapped I'm learning who does it and how to recognize when it happens.

I also notice that I usually lose after I've played too many hands in a session, finding the right time to quit is hard. If I'm on a great run, why would I want to quit? If it's very late and I find my self losing on 2 or more tables, or feeding fish, or my non showdown winnings are suffering badly I'll try to stop. I did this last session and probably saved a few $$. Here's my graph of NL10 SH for the last week.

I'm still rereading the silver articles, I plan to read them some more, also to work on playing against fish, choosing good spots to 3bet, playing profitably against the regs (I figure that's a must before moving up) and not tilting (I've been good there lately) I posted some hands, and will post and read some more, the advice is always great.

As my BR goes up it's more tempting to play looser since $0.40c open raise doesn't seem as big a deal. If I start to feel I'm over rolled I'll take a couple of shots at NL25 SH and either win and be able to continue, or lose and go down. There's still lots to learn at NL10 for me, and I should build 25stacks for NL25 before I really jump in. I really want to move up now but I won't.

Here's a couple of big hands from last week:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB(Hero):
      $10.00
      BB:
      $12.80
      MP2:
      $8.25
      MP3:
      $9.65
      CO:
      $35.25
      BU:
      $12.95

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K.
      MP2 raises to $0.4, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.40, BU folds, Hero raises to $1.5, BB folds, MP2 calls $1.10, CO calls $1.10.

Flop: ($4.60) 9, A, 3 (3 players)
      Hero bets $3.60, MP2 raises to $6.75(All-In), CO calls $6.75, Hero calls $3.15.

Turn: ($24.85) 5 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, CO calls $1.75.

River: ($28.35) 5 (3 players)

Final Pot: $28.35.

Results follow:

MP2 shows two pairs, eights and fives (8 8)
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and fives (A K)
      CO shows a pair of fives (8 Q)
      Hero wins with two pairs, aces and fives (A K).

and this one. I usually wouldn't complete, but the implied odds were great.

Play hand

Known players:
      BU:
      $7.65
      SB(Hero):
      $10.00
      BB:
      $7.35
      MP2:
      $9.20
      MP3:
      $10.40
      CO:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, 3.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, BU calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.50) J, 7, 6 (5 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 bets $0.30, CO folds, BU calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, BB folds.

Turn: ($1.40) T (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, BU bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50.

River: ($2.90) A (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, MP3 raises to $3.7, BU calls $3.70, Hero raises to $9.1, MP3 raises to $9.5(All-In), BU calls $3.05.

Final Pot: $28.25.

Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, ace high (K 3)
      MP3 shows a flush, ace high (8 Q)
      BU shows a straight, jack high (8 9)
      Hero wins with a flush, ace high (K 3).
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Played only 500 hands today, about 1.5hours and up about 2.5 stacks (53BB/100) after a bit of a rollercoaster. Decided to stop for a bit and review, I played some really nice hands using reads, inducing bluffs and making some good calls against busted draws.

Finally learning how to play the maniacs better, and table selection has become more important. I have had some tough times against them, but once I figure out their game I can adjust.

Known players:
      BU:
      $11.85
      SB:
      $9.15
      BB(Hero):
      $16.20
      MP3:
      $25.75
      CO:
      $4.25

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A.
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0.10, BU folds, SB raises to $0.5, Hero raises to $1.5, CO folds, SB calls $1.00.

Flop: ($3.10) 2, 9, 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.90, SB raises to $3.8, Hero raises to $14.7, SB calls $3.85.

Turn: ($25.45) Q (2 players)

River: ($25.45) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $25.45.

Hero shows two pairs, aces and twos (A A)
      SB shows two pairs, tens and twos (T T)
      Hero wins with two pairs, aces and twos (A A).

I've also worked a bunch on second and even third barrelling certain opponents more often. Second barrels are important on low limits, as much as delaying your contibet. I try to mix up the two against difficult opponents. Second and third barreling is becoming very profitable for me.

Play hand

Known players:
      SB:
      $11.25
      BB:
      $9.40
      MP2(Hero):
      $10.40
      MP3:
      $6.60
      CO:
      $25.65
      BU:
      $11.15

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9, 9.
      Hero raises to $0.4, 2 folds, BU calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 5, 4, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BU calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.95) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BU calls $0.80.

River: ($3.55) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.60, BU raises to $4.4, Hero calls $2.80.

Final Pot: $12.35.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, nines and fours (9 9)
      BU shows a pair of fours (2 3)
      Hero wins with two pairs, nines and fours (9 9).

My best hand of the session:

Play hand

Known players:
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $21.35
      MP3:
      $10.95
      CO:
      $8.80
      BU:
      $18.30
      SB(Hero):
      $12.90

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, T.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.10, BU calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.50) T, 6, K (5 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.50, CO folds, BU calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.00) K (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.60, BU calls $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

River: ($3.80) J (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2.30, BU folds, Hero raises to $5.3, MP2 raises to $8.3, Hero raises to $11.7, MP2 calls $3.40.

Final Pot: $27.20.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, kings full of tens (K T)
      MP2 shows a straight, king high (Q 9)
      Hero wins with a full-house, kings full of tens (K T).

Still need to work on 3betting spots, also keeping my WTSD down, I end up calling a bit too much on the river, or not going through with bet fold lines too much.

Here's an example against a TAG that has been 3 betting me a bit too much. I decided to 4 bet this time because I didn't know what else I could do with my 9's oop except fold.

Known players:
      SB:
      $9.15
      BB:
      $22.20
      MP3(Hero):
      $15.45
      CO:
      $10.40
      BU:
      $2.50

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9, 9.
      Hero raises to $0.4, CO raises to $1.2, 3 folds, Hero raises to $3, CO calls $1.80.

Flop: ($6.15) 3, 7, K (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.00, CO calls $4.00.

Turn: ($14.15) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.45(All-In), CO calls $3.40.

River: ($26.00) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $26.00.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, nines and sevens (9 9)
      CO shows two pairs, kings and sevens (K A)
      CO wins with two pairs, kings and sevens (K A).

I also took a few small shots at NL25SH last week, won a little, then lost a stack and went back to NL10 :) Just checking.

My overall winrate for almost 12k hands at NL10SH is 13BB/100, not too bad, but I think I can do much better. We'll see soon. Posting more hands, more coachings, videos and read more articles. Do some more sessions on skype if anyone is up as late as me and doesn' t mind the low limits.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Quick update. The short sessions are really helping. Another 664 hands and three more stacks. I'm really hopping around the tables, at late hours there aren't so many fish, and a lot of regs left. Sometimes I stay too long, but I'm getting better.

My non showdown winnings are starting to improve and I'm folding a bit more, while second barrelling much more than before. I had a couple of really nice hands out of position for stacks which felt great, and also played some deepstacks for a while.

And the graph of my month so far since starting NL10 SH looking good. Just now coming back from a downswing that ate 1/3 of my winnings. I read a lot more and reviewed a bunch of hands. With any luck I'll be able to take more shots at NL25 soon.

And a nice hand from the session:

Known players:
      MP3(Hero):
      $12.65
      CO:
      $8.20
      BU:
      $8.05
      SB:
      $14.55
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $11.35

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, J.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.40, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) A, 8, K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, CO calls $0.80.

Turn: ($2.55) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.80, CO calls $1.80.

River: ($6.15) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, CO raises to $5.20, Hero calls $2.70.

Final Pot: $16.55.

Hero shows a pair of aces(A J).
      CO shows a pair of kings(J K).

Hero wins with a pair of aces(A J).

Ok, one more:

Known players:
      SB:
      $10.10
      BB:
      $13.50
      MP2(Hero):
      $12.05
      MP3:
      $9.20
      CO:
      $9.50
      BU:
      $9.25

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, K.
      Hero raises to $0.40, MP3 calls $0.40, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 8, 3, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, MP3 calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.35) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.40, Hero raises to $4.30, MP3 raises to $6.70, Hero calls $3.80.

River: ($18.55) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $18.55.

Hero shows two pairs, kings and eights(K K).
      MP3 shows a pair of eights(A 9).

Hero wins with two pairs, kings and eights(K K).

I'm starting to really enjoy playing the aggro maniacs at NL10, especially in position.

MP3:
      $14.05
      CO(Hero):
      $10.25
      BU:
      $27.05
      SB:
      $10.00
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $8.50

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BU folds, SB raises to $2.45, 2 folds, Hero calls $2.00.

Flop: ($5.2) 6, 3, 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.00, Hero raises to $7.75(All-In), SB calls $5.50.

Turn: ($20.45) 3 (2 players)

River: ($20.45) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.45.

Hero shows a pair of threes(A K).
      SB shows a pair of threes(J A).
      Hero wins with a pair of threes(A K).

Til next time, good luck on the tables and let me know if you are up for a session.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      you are doing really excellent! i envy your dedication in studying the theory. looks like its paying off. non-SD winnings FTW!
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Thanks purplefizz. I'm trying not to play so much at the moment without studying. I'm now reading Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller and Sklansky, and things have picked up a bit with my business so I'm spending more time there also.

Sometimes I think poker is less of a gamble than starting your own business, but then I think I studied more poker than business! Also the risk/reward is probably higher for the business than it is for me for poker ATM.

I'll play a session later on today and see how the fishing is. I hope I can refrain from bluffing the fish, even if they are all fish. Tight is right. Table select, table select.