SNG dissection

• Flows
      Flows
      Bronze

Hello everyone,

The content of this blog will be the dissection of SNGs. I'm doing this blog with Atoks and NickParkes. Our intention is to learn and teach others at the same time.
      We play mainly SNGs (STT & MTT) but also a few regular Tourneys.
      So if you are looking for bad beats that we had to take, royal flushes we flopped or bankroll-goals you won't like this blog.
      But if you are playing SNGs and always looking for ways to improve your game this will (hopefully) be the blog to read.

We promise you won't have to download a file, unzip it and search for a program that supports some special video format. You will have to click a link and if your internet connection isn't too bad you can start watching the stream immediately.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

edit: I removed the videos due to needed webspace.
      I'm not sure if we will start again at some point but at the moment I'm too busy to play poker.

Video 01:  

Since I'm not a native english speaker my English is far from perfect but I hope it's good enough to point out the important things and of course I will try to improve. ;)

Those were the reads Hero sent me:
      CECKMAN - tight
      Smalltitten - tight
      cashmeout84 - tight/MTer
      LuckyBob50 - tight
      ALL IN or SMOKE - loose/fish
      drummersyd69 - loose/fish
      fantasmo - loose/fish

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Video 02:  

part 2:  

Video 03:  

All sorts of comments are appreciated!

Have fun!
  • 99 replies
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Good Day...

Right, what we are looking for now is volunteers who would like their game reviewed. You can get your SNG go game reviewed by myself, Flows and Atoks and the video will be posted in the blog for discussion. What better way to work on your game?

There are a few criteria though:

1. Hand Histories have to have a minimum buy-in of $5.50 because we feel that if you read the articles, post hands, practice on the ICM trainer and work on your game you will have no problem reaching this limit.

2. We will consider first those members that are most active in the forums and who already put a lot back into the community.

3. When sending us your hand history you have to include a detailed reason of why you deserve to have your hand history reviewed (creativity will get rewarded here ).

Right if we have missed anything I'm sure tghis post will get edited!

Anyway, so if you are interested in getting your game reviewed, send your Pstrategy name, hand history and reason for it to be reviewed to:

sngdissection[a]hotmail.com

And look forward to hearing from you!
    • JVV
      JVV
      Bronze
      Hi

I am always looking to improve my Sng skills. Looking foward to your ideas.
      My idea would be to try to get the sweat sessions up and running or to try to form somekind of a studygroup via Skype ect.

All the best!
      JVV
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      This looks awesome!
    • z4tz
      z4tz
      Bronze
      Will be following this!
    • LetchLord
      LetchLord
      Bronze
      Good idea to start such a blog ... I'd definitely participate in some sort of a studygroup, as JVV mentioned and I'd love to watch some videos...
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Thanks for your interest already guys! I think what we're thinking really is to post a video into the blog and have everyone put their input in... so it'll be like a huge study group... the first video that Flows has produced is a full length session review... but we have some ideas for future formats which I think will work really nicely... it also means that it is an ongoing strategy discussion and unaffected by timezones etc...
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      Really looking forward to improving my play. I have watched every video and read every article (more than once) including diamond ones at one time I was :( Will try to add input when and where I can. Great idea btw
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Hey guys, this is sounds like a great idea! Best of luck with it and expect me as a regular reader/viewer :s_grin:
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I will get involved in this.....Video on tilt maybe :D Please :f_biggrin:
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JVV
      Hi

I am always looking to improve my Sng skills. Looking foward to your ideas.
      My idea would be to try to get the sweat sessions up and running or to try to form somekind of a studygroup via Skype ect.

All the best!
      JVV
      +1
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Insta-fist pump- add to favourite threads!

fantastic idea and cant wait to get involved in the discussions!

I LOVE the idea of a sweat session/group discussions over skype or similar.

:s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK I have had a chance to see the first video that Flows has put together, and altogether nice video... BUT I really can't wait until your able to post it cos I SOOOO disagree with you on a number of spots........ but I did take a lot out of it, nicely done sir...
    • Flows
      Flows
      Bronze
      heyho,

I'm really happy about all those replys. Even the headadmin! :s_thumbsup:
      The discussions will be very interesting and Nick just shared one of his disagreements and i have to agree, that there is another option. :f_cry:
      BUT i'd like to point out that I'm not telling you any stupid or completely wrong moves! ;)

Some general stuff about this blog:

The plan is to produce more than just this single video and as you might have recognized it's not only me doing this but also NickParkes and Atoks will contribute to this project.
      The hands we will point out won't all be perfectly analyzed and as you see we often disagree. I think I will update the first post each time (that might of course change in future!) we upload a new video. I guess we will introduce ourselves a little during this week, if anyone is interested.

I'd like to mention one more thing: Yes we will answer questions and discuss hands, but please do not post hands in this blog. Therefore it's better to use the Sample Hands Forums.

Have fun!

Flo
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      idea:

if people ask questions about the videos and we get answers from discussions in this blog maybe you could update the original post with a simple few sentences (Question: / Answer: ) so the final information is easily accessible?
    • Flows
      Flows
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      idea:

if people ask questions about the videos and we get answers from discussions in this blog maybe you could update the original post with a simple few sentences (Question: / Answer: ) so the final information is easily accessible?
      sounds like a good idea, but as you will see there will be a few (or even more) spots that don't have one solution.

it always depends.... :s_rolleyes:
    • Flows
      Flows
      Bronze
      finally I updated the first entry and inserted the link to the video.
      I'm sure it's not perfect and there is a lot to improve but we have to start somewhere!
      Although I tried to keep it as simple as possible because it's a 6.50$ BuyIn some aspects might be very detailed. If you have questions: DO ASK!
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK, now I can put in my comments... so glad the vid is finally up! :f_biggrin:

02:03 - Firstly the QJs hand with the freeplay in BB... I do not like to bet out here, I do not like the value of my hand on flop with TP, also betting out can begin building a big pot which creates ugly situations. I prefer to check and evaluate the actions of the other players. I can quite happily fold TP there if I don't like what I see... If it gets checked around I am happy to bet the turn as the :spade: is a major scare card and often you pick the pot up right there, if called, I play check call to a small river bet.... I am happy to discard that hand to any real strength shown by a villain, and if he shows me a bluff, I'm OK with that too... as played, the betsize on the turn was too small and no draw is folding to that so it protects against very little, but again, it demonstrates how quickly a pot can build when you are betting OOP...

05:10 - Next the 88 hand... Hero had about 1070 chips and the blinds were 40/80... that gives hero 13 BB which means with the limper a shove is definitely an option and the only course of action should you choose to enter the pot... there are blinds and dead money and if you do get valled your hand has good equity against the limpers calling ranges, plus other players still to act tighten up considerably as the move shows a lot of strength.

05:50 - Nex AQo... I understand the apprehension of playing AQo from EPs... but again this is a 13BB situation and hero has a hand with decent equity, so if you don't wanna raise, shove! Folding here is too weak for me... I would shove this, you pick up the blinds or you get called, and there are so many players that simply cannot fold AJ, AT, sometimes weaker that I simply love the shove for max value! If you Hero had shoved the 88 hand and had collected the dead money then the situation would be slightly different, but, if ever you are uncertain about your post flop skills, but you like your hand, shoving is by no means a mistake.

33:44 - OK, and my last hand to comment on is the K8s SB shove on the bubble into the big stack. The BB big stack was identified as a fish... so I like the shove there and I would've shoved that... would've thought harder if it was a decent reg because possible scenario if you fold. Next hand short stack get's a walk/doubles up... makes hero close on the shortie and creates tricky situations as the blinds are VERY VERY expensive if we have to pay them again on the bubble... If we shove, villain is going to call us tight, because big stack fish call waaaaay tight on the bubble because they wanna guarantee their spot ITM and the big stack had been tighter at higher blinds... so he is not going to call more than 20%.... then he folds, you pick up the blind and then shortie is in the BB surrounded by 3 comfortable stacks and is under super pressure and is the obvious target and mosyt likely to get busted.... I like the shove, but I feel the need to add that the K3o hand the orbit before was an ATC shove all day everyday...

Anyway hope you guys have a chance to watch the vid and let us know what you think, anything you agree with, disagree with... I prefer disagreements TBH, and thanks for reading!
    • Flows
      Flows
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by NickParkes

05:10 - Next the 88 hand... Hero had about 1070 chips and the blinds were 40/80... that gives hero 13 BB which means with the limper a shove is definitely an option and the only course of action should you choose to enter the pot... there are blinds and dead money and if you do get valled your hand has good equity against the limpers calling ranges, plus other players still to act tighten up considerably as the move shows a lot of strength.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. I don't know why I didn't see that.
      -> PUSH! :)

05:50 - Next AQo... I understand the apprehension of playing AQo from EPs... but again this is a 13BB situation and hero has a hand with decent equity, so if you don't wanna raise, shove! Folding here is too weak for me... I would shove this, you pick up the blinds or you get called, and there are so many players that simply cannot fold AJ, AT, sometimes weaker that I simply love the shove for max value! If you Hero had shoved the 88 hand and had collected the dead money then the situation would be slightly different, but, if ever you are uncertain about your post flop skills, but you like your hand, shoving is by no means a mistake.

I agree with you that pushing is way easier here. I will never say that this push is wrong! But I don't like pushing 13BB because AQ is strong enough to try to get more value out of it. For higher limits I advise to raise to 200.

33:44 - OK, and my last hand to comment on is the K8s SB shove on the bubble into the big stack. The BB big stack was identified as a fish... so I like the shove there and I would've shoved that... would've thought harder if it was a decent reg because possible scenario if you fold. Next hand short stack get's a walk/doubles up... makes hero close on the shortie and creates tricky situations as the blinds are VERY VERY expensive if we have to pay them again on the bubble... If we shove, villain is going to call us tight, because big stack fish call waaaaay tight on the bubble because they wanna guarantee their spot ITM and the big stack had been tighter at higher blinds... so he is not going to call more than 20%.... then he folds, you pick up the blind and then shortie is in the BB surrounded by 3 comfortable stacks and is under super pressure and is the obvious target and mosyt likely to get busted.... I like the shove, but I feel the need to add that the K3o hand the orbit before was an ATC shove all day everyday...

I'm still not sure about the push (you guys see the discussion potential) because I'm abolutely unsure about his calling range. For me it's very close...
      COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

I didn't comment on the QJ hand to get more comments on that! :)
    • JVV
      JVV
      Bronze
      Hello

Everything that NickParkes said (QJ;88; AQ ;K8s)
      +
      Also I think the J5s could be pushed it is a 6.50 and people mostly dont have any clear Idea on calling and pushing ranges.

And on 11 min dont you think it would be better to just push AT to a openlimp?

Liked the video to the most part , also enjoyed that you used a lot of SngWizard in it.

Keep it up.

JVV