Chess anyone?!

• aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      hey,

i have no idea how to play chess, i heard its like learing a new language... damn ! is it that hard? any one plays it here? i have it on this laptop but i dont know the basics..is it worth to learn this game?? and do u know any site helper?! thx
  • 55 replies
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Chess is one of the coolest games to play HU ;)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      sure sucks to play it FR
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      SH is quite fun though ....

but really, it helps ur thinking a bit
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aceonetheriver
      hey,

i have no idea how to play chess, i heard its like learing a new language... damn ! is it that hard? any one plays it here? i have it on this laptop but i dont know the basics..is it worth to learn this game?? and do u know any site helper?! thx
      http://chessmaster.uk.ubi.com/xi/index.php

Haven't played since Chessmaster 9000, but as I know the best tool for learning. Later you can hit online with real opponents :)
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      sure sucks to play it FR
      has anyone seen when derren brown played it 9 handed against 9 of the best players in thw world and won!

(he had never played before)
    • ddaarrkkoo2
      ddaarrkkoo2
      Bronze
      chess is the best game ever.

knowledge/strategy: 100%.
      Luck: 0%.

I play it on gameknot.com... I believe that every real good hold'em player is also good chess player.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Chess is good game, Go is even better though. It's more complex, doesn't rely on memorization like chess and 0% luck.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      playchess.com

Best chess site ever, people. Just download the client and make an account or even play as guest. Always hundreds of people to play against. My nickname is Berz if anyone wants a game.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Originally posted by Anssi
      Chess is good game, Go is even better though. It's more complex, doesn't rely on memorization like chess and 0% luck.
      Agree except there is quite a bit of "memorisation" to do in Go regarding Joseki but you don't need to learn it for a while.

Also if you want to learn chess I 100% recommend picking up Chessmaster 10th or 11th (grandmaster) edition. It comes with a comprehensive learning academy section with full audio commentary by Josh Waitzkin who both has an amazing voice and has a great approach to teaching, it doesn't matter how much you know about the game you can skip the very beginning if you already know the rules etc.
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

I play chess too, FM 2308...interested if there is anyone else serious chess player here.

As for the programs I definetely recommend Fritz with Rybka engine. Chessmaster may be appealing for the begginers because it has a lot of cool features but program capabilities cannot be matched with Fritz/Rybka/Shreder...

For the learning material...what can I say...Chessbase...Mega database 2009 and study(at least that is the modern aproach to the game)

memorisation. Most of chess(as long as it is a hobby) is based on strategy/tactics that cannot be memorised but if you start playing seriously nowdays you have to know more and more opening theory to be able to compete with young players nowdays.

Luck...its a game of full information so I it should be 0:)
    • Xantos
      Xantos
      Bronze
      You could also ask the Russian community for some games - they even held chess tourneys - maybe because one of our community managers is a Grand Master ;)
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      computers killed chess.. ---> pokah>>chess
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      i got chess master..and its super cool ! i dont know anything about chess..they have like an acadmey inside of the game... and infinite of lessons... i finished the basics,,,and now i'm learning how to defend ! its a great game... and they have like 84 examples of checkmate...and i spend like 3-5 min on every one trying to figure it out ! and then i see the results and its so fckin simple haha ...i think its a game of pure perfection in applying ur ideas and moves ... and i learned the value of each piece...so YES i awnser my own question...it is nice to learn this game ! :heart:
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      I used to play chess quite a lot but since I discovered poker my rating has decreased...and my game got worse. If you don't work on your game you regress and you can see it only after a while.

Also play on gameknot...at least I play few games from time to time.

Fritz is definitely program for pros, I tried it and it killed my desire to learn - there's so much stuff to go through that I lost pleasure for the game. For average players chessmaster is good enough.
    • zhorzh
      zhorzh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joshquan
      sure sucks to play it FR
      has anyone seen when derren brown played it 9 handed against 9 of the best players in thw world and won!

sure, but it was not because he is such a good chess player. He just repeated the moves his previous opponents made.
      So in essence, they played against each other.

Nice trick though :)
    • DejaLoin
      DejaLoin
      Bronze
      I play on redhotpawn.com

Pretty cool site, I've been there for 3 years now.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zhorzh
      Originally posted by Joshquan
      sure sucks to play it FR

sure, but it was not because he is such a good chess player. He just repeated the moves his previous opponents made.
      So in essence, they played against each other.

Nice trick though :)
      Trick? this isnt a trick, it was pure genius , he is abotu the only person in the world who could first of all think of and then actually pull of something with this genius!

You try memorising 9 moves at a time as well as remembering who made which move Pft trick
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      well I play chess wouldn't say I would agree with there being no luck at all. since there always things like you're opponent missing something where you would have lost other wise. just last week I had an opponent which gave up because you taught my pawn would promote but he could have just have captured it right away and it would have been a draw. But having said that the luck factor is pretty small unlike poker and the stronger player usely wins against the weaker player
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      There's no random factors inserted in that aren't skill related but there's still variance between games and if you lost one you know for sure that it was cause you made more/bigger mistakes than the other guy.