[CONTEST] Hand Evaluation Contest

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      For those of you actively participating in our Hand Evaluation forums, we have prepared something special. We will upgrade your status by one level if you post an interesting hand you found on our forums in December and explain in one paragraph why it is interesting. If we like the hand and the explanation, we will reward you, as well as the person who posted that hand!

Overall, there will be a total of 150 status upgrades given away and they will come into effect within the first week of January. These status upgrades will be distributed amongst all of our communities. The deadline for posting your entry is the 31st of December, so hurry up and post your hand evaluations.

Rules:
      • You must search for hands posted between the 1st and 22nd of December on our forums
      • You must post a hand of the same level as your rank; for example, if you are Gold-ranked, you will need to post a hand from the Gold Hand Evaluations forums only; game type is irrelevant
      • Your post should contain 3 elements: the link to the thread where the hand is posted, a quote containing the hand itself and your explanation in one paragraph

Please note that this promotion is not available to Diamond members. This means that if, for instance, you or the author of the hand which you quoted become Diamond, that particular person will not be upgraded further. However, it does not mean that the other person can't get the upgrade.

Good luck everyone!
  • 15 replies
    • SamoB25
      SamoB25
      Bronze
      AA 0.1/0.2 sh

Originally posted by bluffalot123
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A.
      CO calls, BU raises, SB calls, Hero 3-Bets, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9, Q, 7 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, BU raises, SB calls, Hero 3-Bets, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) K (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls.

River: (16 BB) 6 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB.
      I like this hand, because he keeps the initiative and aggresion through all streets, even when on turn his hand is still an overpair and better hands are possible.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      NL100 QQ 4betpot Villain donkshoves flop

Originally posted by DeKuip
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $1(BB) Replayer
      SB ($50.20)
      BB ($28.50)
      UTG ($87.15)
      UTG+1 ($106)
      CO ($95.55)
      Hero ($131)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: Q:club:

UTG raises to $3, UTG+1 calls $3, CO raises to $10, Hero raises to $28, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $18

FLOP ($63.50) 8:heart: K:diamond: 2:spade:

CO bets $67.55 (AI), Hero ???

Villain 35/18 over 62 hands, so don't really have any really reliable info about him.

What do I do here on this flop??
      I think this is an interesting hand because we are often put in a very tough spot when villian donk shoves into us. This spot rarely comes up so we are usually lacking in information on what to do.
    • AcesBreaker
      AcesBreaker
      Bronze
      SORRY I CANNOT CONVERT IT . IT WAS HAPPEND THIS NIGHT AND NOW IM AT WORK

I´v played yesterday some MTT . One 2USD 180 man SnG and one 3USD 90man KO.
      I played at night so I havent the hands convert yet.

And now the interesting hands ;)

2USD 180man SnG :
      Blinds 100/200

SB ($ ???)
      BB ($ ???)
      UTG ($ ???)
      UTG+1 ($ 3600)
      HERO ($ 7163)
      MT ($ ???)
      MT+1 ($ 4230)
      CO ($ ???)
      BU ($ 5760)

Dealt to HERO A:spade: A:diamond:
      UTG+1 call,HERO raise $666,MT+1 call $666,BU call $666,UTG+1 fold

FLOP ($ 2298) K:club: A:heart: K:spade:

HERO raise $1120,MT+1 re-raise all-in,BU fold,HERO call $2440

HERO show : A:spade: A:diamond:
      MT+1 show : K:diamond: 9:diamond:

TURN 6:club:

RIVER : K:heart:

MT+1 wins with four of kind

It was easy call because I know him and I dont belive him two pocket KK . But the board sucks me :evil:
      Few hands later I tripled up and was back on the tourney. And won it :D

:s_mad: :s_mad: :s_mad:
      3USD 90man SnG KO
      Final Table

Blinds 600/1200

SB ($ ???)
      BB ($ ???)
      HERO ($ 76430)
      UTG+1 ($ ???)
      MT ($ 66700)
      MT+1 ($ ???)
      CO ($ 45000)
      BU ($???)

Dealt to hero K :diamond: K :club:

HERO raise $2999,MT re-raise all in,CO call,HERO call

HERO show K:diamond: K:club:
      MT show K :heart: K :spade:
      CO A :club: A :heart:

so the end of that you can imagine :]

I know that they goes all in many timess with weak hands like 77,88,99,TT... So i call it .

(but no metter , I won that torunays :] )
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      NL100SH Follow through with float?
      NL Holdem $1(BB) Replayer
      SB ($100)
      BB ($104)
      UTG ($210)
      CO ($151)
      Hero ($100)

Dealt to Hero K :club: Q :club:

UTG raises to $5, fold, Hero calls $5, fold, fold

FLOP ($11.50) 7:diamond: 3:diamond: A:club:

UTG bets $6, Hero calls $6

TURN ($23.50) 7:diamond: 3:diamond: A:club: 7:spade:

UTG checks, Hero bets $18, UTG calls $18

RIVER ($59.50) 7 :diamond: 3 :diamond: A :club: 7 :spade: K :diamond:

UTG checks, Hero bets $71 (AI), UTG folds

Hero shows K:club: Q:club:

Hero wins $56.55

I think this is a very interesting hand because Hero knows he is often behind but he also knows that there is nothing he can call him with on the river. Villain seems reasonable and therefore his hand range is either weak aces or JJ-KK but since the river is a king and he allready holds a blocker the chance that he holds KK is very low. Hero represents either a 7 or a flush when the diamond hits the river and this is why shoving the river is super great and also why this hand is interesting because hero holds a decent made hand on the river but he knows that all better hands fold! The only thing Villain can beat is basically a pure bluff, which is very unlikely, therefore he has to fold
    • Shinersen
      Shinersen
      Gold
      http://ro.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=1284

I find this an interesting hand.

Known players: (?)
      vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands

71 - 0 0
      UTG: $9.30
      1.0 100 14 24

20 - 38 13
      UTG2: $1.47
      6.0 0 13 137

10 - 0 8
      MP3: $10.28
      - 100 40 39

Hero: $1.95

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q :heart: , Q :diamond:
      UTG calls $0.10, UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.85, Hero raises to $1.95 (All-In), 5 folds, MP3 calls $1.10.

Flop: ($4.35) K :spade: , 5 :heart: , A :club:
      Turn: ($4.35) T :heart:
      River: ($4.35) Q :club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $4.35
      I think this is a tough spot for a SSS player because he needs to combine SSS starting chart + stats + odds very carefully. Normally on a raise and a reraise you should fold QQ, but i made some maths
      UTG2 range : 88+, A8s+, KTs+, ATo+, KQo
      MP3 range : TT+, ATs+, AQo+
      CO : QQ

Case I) UTG-2 is very weak and he would fold, but MP3 certainly would call 1.1$ due to pot odds.
      Hero thought that he will bring 1.95$ for obtaining a profit of 4,35$, that means that he needs at least 44% EV for a good all-in.
      QQ vs MP3's range has an 56.835 % Equity Value, so i consider a good all-in for Hero.
      Case II) If UTG-2 calls, considering pot odds Hero would bring 1.95$ in a 5.62$ pot, this means that he needs 34% EV for a good all-in.
      Against these two ranges QQ has an EquityValue de 46.016%.
      So, i consider that all-in is good on both situations
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      A7s gutshot

Play hand

$0.1/$0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7 :diamond: , A :diamond: .
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, BU calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8 :club: , T :heart: , J :heart: (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero bets, BU calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG2 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) A :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, BU raises, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 9 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BU calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB.

Button was pretty much TAG.

First of all, according to the charts, preflop this is not a call because we generally don't overlimp with 1 limper, we can either fold it, or if we have good postflop skills, we can make an isolation raise. On the flop, you should definetely not bet here since you only have the idiot end gutshot + overcard, and that's just not good enough in a 5 way pot. But but the way you played it, after his raise on the turn, I would just call down. I think that the hands you beat (monster draws, flush draws and worse Ax) give you enough equity to make this call. Donkbet on the river is a bit of advanced line if I remember right so you could easily c/c without any hard feelings. It is a pretty tricky spot whatsoever because if you check, he will still bet if he has two pair or a better hand than you and he might even try to bluff you off the hand with a busted draw. If you donk, he will probably fold busted draws, call with two pair and raise with a better hand. All in all, I believe that c/c might actually be better here as I doubt that you'll lose any value if you do it and you'll pay off a better hand more if you donk.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Taken from : TT in BB

Ahhh those famous TT......

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 8.8 Tournament, 600/1200 Blinds 125 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

MP2 (t33323)
      MP3 (t31775)
      CO (t16986)
      Button (t54334)
      SB (t19362)
      Hero (BB) (t38666)
      UTG (t22590)
      UTG+1 (t80001)
      MP1 (t21146)

Hero's M: 13.22

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, 10
      4 folds, MP3 bets t3600, 1 fold, Button calls t3600, 1 fold, Hero raises to t15000, MP3 raises to t31650 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t16650

Flop: (t68625) 5, A, 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t68625) 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t68625) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t68625

In my opinion, this hand is very interesting. I always get in trouble with TT and I want to analyse this hand for myself and see what I would of done.

1) MP3 raises 3BB, since we don't have much informations about MP3, we can assume his hand ranges is any pockets pair to A7s+, K10s+,maybe even QJ+. We could assume that is raise is a steal but we never play that way(unless having previous information). The equilator would probably show us being ahead BUT we have exactly 32.22 BB left in our stack (before the blind), so I don't see the reason why you need to call his bet or reraise him to get in a troublesome pot. In my opinion, the person will get pot commited too fast thus making him go all in anyways. Putting your whole stack on TT is a risk no matter what. Even if MP3 has A-3x he can still hit.

2) The only reraise acceptable could be a PUSH where you would boost your folding equitiy. But then again, we would need more information about MP3 like his VPIP and PR to make such a play, we could be in a way behind situation(MP3 flips JJ or QQ), [MP3 could be a super tight player with 5/5 stats with a stack that big I would fold and wait for more information about the table.

Considering your M factor, if you follow by the book, I guess you should push all-in because you are in the yellow zone.....and it tells you to be super-agressive.
    • salvatoreannunziata
      salvatoreannunziata
      Global
      No Limit Holdem Tournament
      PartyPoker
      5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by http://weaktight.com/

Stacks:
      UTG xhakola 4,440
      CO salvatoreannunziat 6,300
      BTN galletto98 3,850
      SB sscn 4,170
      BB sonoio77 1,240

Blinds: 150/300

Pre-Flop: (450, 5 players) salvatoreannunziat is CO Ad As
      1 fold, salvatoreannunziat raises to 600, 1 fold, sscn calls 450, 1 fold

Flop: 2d Qd 7d (1,500, 2 players)
      sscn checks, salvatoreannunziat bets 900, sscn calls 900

Turn: 8h (3,300, 2 players)
      sscn checks, salvatoreannunziat checks

River: Kh (3,300, 2 players)
      sscn bets 1,500, salvatoreannunziat folds

Final Pot: 4,800

sscn wins 4,800 (net +1,800)

salvatoreannunziat lost 1,500
    • salvatoreannunziata
      salvatoreannunziata
      Global
      ***** Hand History for Game 8695410401 ***** (Party)
      Tourney Hand NL Texas Hold'em - Friday, December 11, 08:57:36 ET 2009
      Table Table 170299 (Real Money)
      Seat 9 is the button
      Seat 6: Salvatoreann ( $6300.00 USD )
      Seat 9: galletto98 ( $3850.00 USD )
      Seat 1: sonoio77 ( $1240.00 USD )
      Seat 10: sscn ( $4170.00 USD )
      Seat 4: xhakola ( $4440.00 USD )
      sscn posts small blind [$150.00 USD].
      sonoio77 posts big blind [$300.00 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Salvatoreann [ Ad As ]
      xhakola folds
      Salvatoreann raises [$600.00 USD]
      galletto98 folds
      sscn calls [$450.00 USD]
      sonoio77 folds
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 2d, Qd, 7d ]
      sscn checks
      Salvatoreann bets [$900.00 USD]
      sscn calls [$900.00 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 8h ]
      sscn checks
      Salvatoreann checks
      ** Dealing River ** [ Kh ]
      sscn bets [$1500.00 USD]
      Salvatoreann folds
      sscn wins $4800.00 USD from main pot
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      My first evaluation was kind of a fail and since we are allowed to pick 2, this one should be better :) :

0.1/0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Analysis
      I cant tell if I played this too aggressively or it was just unlucky.
      I had MP1 pegged as an elephant (using Hellmuth's poker animals).
      This makes me think I should have at the very least noticed his 3bet on the turn and taken heed.

Known players:
      vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      19 56 40 15
      MP1: $13.78
      1.7 47 38 990

Hero: $1.55

0.1/0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.71 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 :heart: , 6 :spade:
      2 folds, MP1 raises, 3 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6 :diamond: , A :heart: , A :spade:( 2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) J :club:( 2 players)
      MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 3-bets, Hero caps, MP1 calls.

River: (13.75 BB) Q :club:( 2 players)
      MP1 bets, Hero raises (All-In), MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
      Hello!

Unfortunately I have no idea what Hellmuth's elephant means, but you have provided the stats so we can act according to them. First of all, I'd like to point out that you should ALWAYS have at least 12BB (in your case $2.40) on the table so that you can extract maximum value from very good hands like quads and full houses. Second of all, I believe that according to SHC we never cold call the oponent's preflop raise, we either raise it or fold. In this case, it's a fairly easy fold (you 3-bet 99+ if the raiser is in MP1). If you raised the hand, you would at least be able to put him on a tighter range than 15% of the hands (his PFR = 77+, A9s+, KJs+, QJs+, AJo+, KQo+), according to his action (if he capped or called). The bet/3-bet on the flop is good, on the turn it gets complicated whatsoever. His stats show that he is more or less a TAG even though his actions are pretty weird (c/r flop with initiative, donk turn). So on the turn, you are beaten by JJ, AA and AJ, AA not being very likely because he would probably cap flop with it. If he is a thinking player (even though his c/r flop with initiative doesn't exactly indicate that, or maybe I just don't know the pros of that move...), he will donk turn to induce a raise so that he can 3-bet. This means his range on the turn is pretty much JJ, AJ and maybe AK, AQ, AT, A9, these hands being less likely whatsoever. But since You can't be sure that he's donking turn in order to induce a raise to be able to 3-bet, I would raise turn once and bet river, or if he 3-bets me simply calldown unless another 6 comes, then of course cap river. What we learn from this hand is that our preflop play is very important since it helps us determine tighter ranges and can have an effect on the result of the whole hand. As for the "unluckiness" part you can try putting the flop and the hole cards in an equilator and see how unlucky you were that that jack showed up on the turn, he basically had 4 outs to suck out on you so his equity should be about 34% I believe. I advise you to read the bronze and silver articles and print out the charts + play according to them, it will be worth your while as your winrate will increase :) .

Regards,

Primzi
    • Termis
      Termis
      Bronze
      NL2 KK vs Allin from Tight player

Originally posted by PSantosPoker
      $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      8 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($2.76)
      Hero ($5.06)
      MP2 ($4.80)
      CO ($1.57)
      BTN ($5.03)
      SB ($4.94)
      BB ($0.99)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 8 players) Hero is MP1 K:diamond: K:heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds, BTN goes all-in $5.03, 2 folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $4.93

Flop: 5:spade: 8:diamond: 9:diamond: ($10.19, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: 3:spade: ($10.19, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 2:spade: ($10.19, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $10.19
      Hero shows a pair of Kings
      K:diamond: K:heart:
      BTN shows a pair of Aces
      A:spade: A:diamond:

Well BTN stats are 8/0 in 95 hands he is a rly tight player. What should i do in this situations? What about the preflop call? Regards.
      Even though this hand is a shove preflop, I like it because I want to stress out that pushing in with KK in lower limits against tight players is not always such a good idea despite what everyone says. This hand shows very well that sometimes it's just better to fold KK's against an open shove preflop.
    • demioz
      demioz
      Silver
      JJ - What to do on the river?

UTG: 54/6/0.8/40 - 65 hands
      BTN: 54/16/0.8/44 - 120 hands

C/C river if there's no raises?

Limit Holdem $2(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($193)
      BB ($117)
      UTG ($66)
      UTG+1 ($106)
      UTG+2 ($179)
      MP1 ($96.50)
      MP2 ($82.50)
      MP3 ($112)
      CO ($43.86)
      BTN ($69.56)

Dealt to Hero J J

UTG calls $2, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $4, Hero raises to $6, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4, BTN calls $2

FLOP ($24) 7 4 T

Hero bets $2, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2, BTN raises to $4, Hero raises to $6, BB folds, UTG calls $4, BTN calls $2

TURN ($44) 7 4 T A

Hero bets $4, UTG calls $4, BTN calls $4

RIVER ($56) 7 4 T A T

Hero??

---

One of many marginal situations on the river that occurs in fixed limit.
    • demioz
      demioz
      Silver
      When will the result of this contest be announced?
    • Jonas
      Jonas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by demioz
      When will the result of this contest be announced?
      This week or next week :)
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Hello dear PokerStrategists,

After doing some thinking, we have decided that EVERYONE who posted a hand evaluation in this thread will be rewarded, so congratulations! Enjoy your status upgrade!
      Your level should be upgraded shortly and it will last until the end of January.

Once again, congratulations and thanks for participating!