playing against LAG

  • 8 replies
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.05.2009 Posts: 2,920
      81/54 guy isn't really a LAG but a big fish, a maniac. A good LAG looks something like 33/25/2.4/37.

      If you reach gold, PS has a pretty good article about maniacs: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/65/1/

      General tendencies against them should be:

      # Don't bluff
      # Be aggressive with good made hands
      # Be passive with weak made hands and draws
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.11.2008 Posts: 4,952
      Hello!

      You were playing a maniac, not a LAG. How to play vs a maniac? Sit so that you have position on him, that's most important. Other than that, never try to bluff him, call down with pairs if the board misses his range, get it in with good made hands.

      SF
    • firsttsunami
      firsttsunami
      Black
      Joined: 23.01.2006 Posts: 32,997
      there is a gold-article for how to handle maniacs. i don't want to copy paste the whole article but i can just give you the most important notes:

        1) Try to isolate the maniac.
        2) Make looser pre-flop calls, with suited connectors, for example.
        3) Don't bluff or semi-bluff; try to induce bluffs from the maniac.
        4) Play good made hands aggressively and weak hands passively.
        5) Be willing to fold A high.
        6) Use the maniac to protect.
        7) Remember your BRM and don't go on tilt trying to bust a maniac.
        8) Try to get position on the maniac


      if you'll reach once the gold-status you can find the entire article here:

      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/65/1/
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.11.2008 Posts: 167
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hello!

      You were playing a maniac, not a LAG. How to play vs a maniac? Sit so that you have position on him, that's most important. Other than that, never try to bluff him, call down with pairs if the board misses his range, get it in with good made hands.

      SF
      if the player is a maniac(which he most definitely is!), how do you assign him a range? if he's got stats 81/54 he plays any two cards, so what range do you put him on? a stupid piece of advice there imo.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Joined: 03.03.2008 Posts: 3,802
      Originally posted by ukcoolcat
      if the player is a maniac(which he most definitely is!), how do you assign him a range? if he's got stats 81/54 he plays any two cards, so what range do you put him on? a stupid piece of advice there imo.
      he's either 81/54 or he plays any two cards, make up your mind yo
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.11.2008 Posts: 167
      so 81/54 isn't a a2c maniac? my mind is already made up tosser, is yours?
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.09.2010 Posts: 2,551
      Originally posted by firsttsunami
      there is a gold-article for how to handle maniacs. i don't want to copy paste the whole article but i can just give you the most important notes:

        1) Try to isolate the maniac.
        2) Make looser pre-flop calls, with suited connectors, for example.
        3) Don't bluff or semi-bluff; try to induce bluffs from the maniac.
        4) Play good made hands aggressively and weak hands passively.
        5) Be willing to fold A high.
        6) Use the maniac to protect.
        7) Remember your BRM and don't go on tilt trying to bust a maniac.
        8) Try to get position on the maniac


      if you'll reach once the gold-status you can find the entire article here:

      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/65/1/
      I would actually disagree with 5) here. If you're up vs a true manaic with a full on ATC range then being more willing to fold A-High is not the right way to approach it.

      Yes there will be some boards where ATC is actually ahead of A-High and you should still be able to recognize them but being more willing to fold A-High seem really couter-intuitive, if a maniac doesn't accidentally value-own you occaisionally you're not playing vs him right.

      Also 3) is debatable too. vs a pre-flop manaic who plays straightforward vs aggression post-flop semi-bluffing is one of the most profitable things you can do becasue his range is so weak. Although if he's just a "raise until it's capped" maniac then fine.

      Position is the most important thing my a mile vs a maniac in my opinion when combined with tilt control. Manaics can be very difficult to deal with but some of your most profitable sessions can come vs them.

      That said I haven't read the full article yet so will save overall judgement until I do
    • SiDeRiEv
      SiDeRiEv
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.02.2011 Posts: 97
      Originally posted by redskwerl
      he's either 81/54 or he plays any two cards, make up your mind yo
      81/54 in SH means he puts money in the pot 5 times on 6 (5/6 * 100 => 83 %)... Every time he is not at BB. Means he plays any two cards imo


      6 month later... Not bad !! :D