Tilt - what to do?

• Poll
    • What are you doing when you are on tilt?

take a break from poker
        take a walk/hot shower
        something else
        trounce my wife/dog
        ditch my computer
        read articles
        eat chocolate
        watch live coachings/videos
        post sample hands
      Total: 228 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      You've all read about it: „It was almost a tilt“, „you're tilting!“, „tilting is evil.“
      But what are you doing when you are on tilt?
      Let us know in our weekly vote...!

Good luck at the tables!
  • 51 replies
    • SonicXT
      Online poker : I take a break for at least half an hour
      Real life poker : I rebuy (usually shortstacked if it's time to tilt anyway) and autofold for a round or 2.
    • Stefan1000
      When i was on tilt, or better say when i lost a huge amount in an irregular timeframe...

I always started to post hands and analyse my session after wards.

And that is something that i can highly recommend!

It helps you to gain confidence in your game again or even to find some fatal leaks.

Best regards,
    • Guillaume
      Step up a few limits :tongue:
    • Classical
      I analyze my hands afterwards (not right afterwards, but like the following day).

Or I put everything on Black :)
    • helemaalnicks
      I would be surprised/happy, i would finally have some emotion, thats a good thing for me. I started playing poker because it was the best way to use my worse attribute.
    • boschman123
      i dont tilt.
      i buy new computer screens.
    • Gungunhana
      I just take a break of at least a day and use that time to read some more about poker, and participate of foruns.
      Doing so I´ve found out a couple of times that I wasn´t playing so bad as I thought and found some mistakes in my game as well.
    • Yoghi
      I get hungry and end up getting food, and by doing that I also take a break :)
    • rubysilesia
      When I make a couple of mistakes (that I can recognize) or suffer a long downswing I take a break that day.
    • timukasr
      Originally posted by Guillaume
      Step up a few limits :tongue:
      Originally posted by boschman123
      i dont tilt.
      i buy new computer screens.
      :D classic :D

I myself usually curse alot say some censored stuff into chat section and then usually take break.
    • swissmoumout
      I used to take a break, but then I ended up playing only 30 mins per week ;)
      Seriously, I (almost) don't tilt anymore. I just think about the cash I won playing the same way, and it's ok :D
      That said, I do tilt a little in 7 stud (or razz, to be precise) and HORSE tourneys, because I'm learning the game, so I _just_dont_need_ to get unlucky.
      By the way, little tip to everyone, don't keep sharp or heavy objects near you when you're playing. They can fly surprisingly quickly sometimes :D
    • Zeffke
      By the way, little tip to everyone, don't keep sharp or heavy objects near you when you're playing. They can fly surprisingly quickly sometimes :D [/quote]

Amen to that, have a nice hole in the wall of a flying fork when I was eating and took a beat... :) It just a good way to calm down for me. Better throw some stuff then throw my money away at the tables.

But usually now after some suckouts like I've suffered last couple days (see my blog) I go for a hot shower or take the dog for a walk.
    • TaoButterfly
      I've found that taking a complete break from my computer is best. Anywhere from 5 minutes to a ... year ! :0 If the break is short, say under a few hours, I recover quicker by getting some physical activity in. A walk, push-ups, stretching, meditation, a shower...etc.

Other methods don't work so well for me. I've often thought about why. Perhaps my thoughts will give you some insight into your own coping strategies with regards to Tilt.

Eating food/snacks - If I eat when it's not my regular time to eat I find that my internal balance gets slightly out of whack. This in turn, subtly alters my mind state. If I'm trying to regulate myself from an unpleasant mind state, specifically tilt, then I don't want to introduce other subtle factors that make it tougher to regain my mental balance. In general, food affects my mental state deeper than I tend to realize in the moment (it’s always easier to see what happens after some reflection). It is very, very tough to stay in tune with where I'm at in relation to what I've put into my body, never mind trying to understand it all when I'm tilting.

Stimulants - (coffee/chocolate/etc) - When using a stimulant to regain my focus I find the resultant 'high' allows me to perform at a high level. Unfortunately this 'high' only lasts for a short period of time, as I come down I find I am usually worse off than before, making the chances of retilting greater. Also, stimulants have a tendency to make me more aggressive. What happens when I drink that coffee, than keep right on tilting? I spew chips left and right with meaningless tilt raises and reraises. The negatives outweigh the positives for me on this one.

Other activities involving my computer - Yes this does help out somewhat. However, because I'm still using the medium that induced my tilt, the computer, I find my mind doesn't fully disengage from its unbalanced state. At some mental level that association makes it harder for me to clear my mind. I need to get totally away from my computer. I need to get out of the computer room. Often I need to get out of the house completely.

Other activities involving poker (reading/analyzing/etc) - Basically the same reason as 'Other activities involving my computer'. The need to totally disengage my brain from poker to properly regain my emotional equilibrium. The tilt lingers about if I keep my mind running in ‘poker mode’.

Anger (slamming my desk/swearing/verbal player abuse/etc) - It's been my experience that expressing my tilt with anger makes the tilt even worse. It is the rare time that slamming the desk makes me feel like I’ve ‘let it all out’. These rare times tend to be the most dangerous, as it is an illusion that my anger has dissipated. The anger has been reinforced, and when it comes back, it comes quicker and stronger than the last time round. I try not to ignore it either, as repressed anger will come back stronger too. I generally do my best to acknowledge my anger; it is a part of me after all. This acknowledgement in turn allows it to slide away. This is a tough one, and I think we generally work on this our whole life, so don’t get down on yourself if you are getting angry. It will get better with time.

As a final thought, for those trying to improve their poker game (all of us!!), and specifically the aspect of Tilt. I recommend getting involved with meditation. Trust me; it will do wonders for your bankroll.
    • degnic
      I tilt very very rarely. Only when playing against lunatic maniacs with big stacks I find myself tilting at times, but when I come across one I either start playing the table with smaller than whole buy-in stack or just simply leave the table and find another one.

If I've had a downswing lasting for 2 or more days though, even if it's just normal swing, I take atleast a couple day break.
    • undercover82
      If i tilt , i start making fun of phisherman. It helps a lot.

To be honest i never tilt , i have taken so many badbeats over this 1 year that it has just stopped affecting me. I do the occasional cursing out loud (never on chat and to my opponent though) but i move on the next second.
    • BigFrench1
      I don't know. I'm still on tiiiiiilt!!!!
    • Timor83
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      Online poker : I take a break for at least half an hour
      Real life poker : I rebuy (usually shortstacked if it's time to tilt anyway) and autofold for a round or 2.
      Not to forget: you slam a hole in the wall :D
    • Timor83
      Btw, there's one option missing: "I don't tilt" :P
    • chenny8888
      trounce my wife/dog

WOW harsh hahahah

boschman funniest so far!