Skip to forum
Midlife Crisis? Wha...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Midlife Crisis? What Midlife Crisis?

8,659 Posts
251 Users
37 Reactions
793 K Views
chenny8888
Joined: 03.10.2007
Elite Grinder

Originally posted by jbpatzer

Look! You can be smart and sexy and still get down on your hands and knees and scrub the floor with a smile on your face. Vacuum cleaners are an unnecessary luxury imo. How much does one of these cost?

Btw, I have so much to do before I go away today that I have Skype off....,yet here I still am. :facepalm:

probably 80pounds an hr or so, though using them for cleaning seems like a waste


Reply
Quote
fruktpuff
Joined: 24.09.2010
PokerStrategist

I see where you're coming from, but....


Reply
Quote
MisClick
Joined: 30.05.2008
PokerStrategist

Right, got you.

Spoiler


Reply
Quote
jbpatzer Topic starter
jbpatzer
Joined: 23.11.2009
Oldschool Grinder

Originally posted by Spungeh
I hadnt allowed myself to get there.. I had just lost AJs v QJo :) and that was the next hand.. eat shit and die ♦

Lol. I haven't heard that one in a while. You'd have to admit it's not the best example of riggedness. It's nearly as bad as some of Misclick's.

Originally posted by chenny8888
probably 80pounds an hr or so, though using them for cleaning seems like a waste

Getting someone to do your cleaning is never a waste.

I'm currently in a hotel room in Switzerland, waiting to go out for dinner. I've spent all day in a rather dull meeting followed by a lab tour - Oh look! Another metal box that everyone else is excited about! (I am the tame mathematician)

The highlight of the day followed me looking out of the window at this view.

Me: What's that big thing?
Host: It's the incinerator, but we do have a nice old part of town with a castle and lots of nice buildings.
Me: Ooooo! That sounds good. I can't see it. Where is it?
Host: It's behind the incinerator.
Me: :f_o: :facepalm:


Reply
Quote
gadget51
Joined: 23.06.2008
Oldschool Grinder

♦ ♦ and nothing for miles around ♦
Why are your trips so funny all the time! Weren't you in some sort of Stalag last time out? I think maybe the funding people are having a laugh.


Reply
Quote
jbpatzer Topic starter
jbpatzer
Joined: 23.11.2009
Oldschool Grinder

Wrote a lot, didn't play much, as planned.

I have run better, although I'm still made up about my low roller MTT win. Maybe withdrawing that $500 wasn't such a good idea. Anyway, I still have > 30BI for NL100.

Next month I will be sorting out the many example hands that we have and trying to put them into the book in an entertaining and logical way. I'm also toying with the idea of reading my whole blog looking for posts to put in the book. Or maybe one of my readers would like to volunteer to do that? I'd be very grateful, although I would doubt your sanity.

I'm finding work and family stuff very stressful atm, and am not feeling in blogging mood. I'm sure it will pass.

........Zimmers tonight. ♦


Reply
Quote
bennisboy
Joined: 11.04.2011
PokerStrategist

Raped by variance...


Reply
Quote
TwiceT
Joined: 15.07.2007
BlackMember

Originally posted by jbpatzer
I'm also toying with the idea of reading my whole blog looking for posts to put in the book. Or maybe one of my readers would like to volunteer to do that? I'd be very grateful, although I would doubt your sanity.

You could also go through my blog :] Not sure though if that's doable and how much "wisdom" there is to find to potentially add to the book ♦


Reply
Quote
jbpatzer Topic starter
jbpatzer
Joined: 23.11.2009
Oldschool Grinder

Originally posted by TwiceT

Originally posted by jbpatzer
I'm also toying with the idea of reading my whole blog looking for posts to put in the book. Or maybe one of my readers would like to volunteer to do that? I'd be very grateful, although I would doubt your sanity.

I could also go through my blog :] Not sure though if that's doable and how much "wisdom" there is to find to potentially add to the book ♦

FYP


Reply
Quote

I can do it for a reasonable price


Reply
Quote
jbpatzer Topic starter
jbpatzer
Joined: 23.11.2009
Oldschool Grinder

http://www.chesscube.com/play/app/?openGameById=234292997

Made me lol on a boring afternoon. Shows there only so much piss you can take when it comes to chess openings.


Reply
Quote
Super Moderator
VorpalF2F
Joined: 02.09.2010
Oldschool Grinder

Black played an interesting strategy:
"I know, I'll create an impregnable fence of pawns so all my pieces are irrevocably trapped".


Reply
Quote
jbpatzer Topic starter
jbpatzer
Joined: 23.11.2009
Oldschool Grinder

Watched Looper with mrsjb tonight. Good film I thought, although I have had a few drinks. I also played a few hands and felt the need to share this one, as it seemed to me to be the poker equivalent of the game of chess that I posted earlier.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

jbpatzer (UTG) ($100)
MP ($103.55)
CO ($35.65)
Button ($107.25)
SB ($43.30)
BB ($157.95)

Preflop: jbpatzer is UTG with A♣, A♠
jbpatzer bets $3, MP calls $3, 4 folds

Flop: ($7.50) 9♠, 3♣, 3♥ (2 players)
jbpatzer bets $5, MP calls $5

Turn: ($17.50) 4♣ (2 players)
jbpatzer checks, MP bets $10, jbpatzer raises to $30, MP raises to $95.55 (All-In), jbpatzer calls $62 (All-In)

River: ($201.50) 3♠ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $201.50 | Rake: $3

Spoiler

jbpatzer had A♣, A♠ (full house, threes over Aces).
MP had 10:diamond:, Q♠ (three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: jbpatzer won $198.50

:f_confused:

Tough game.

I went to the dentist this week, and apparently I need one tooth crowned and one tooth extracted and a bridge put in to replace it (no real idea what this involves, but it sounds bad). Apparently this will cost me about £700 or $1K. Once I've finished the first draft of the book, which I'm hoping to have done by the end of the month, my new project will be 'Rescue JB's Teeth with Poker', in which I try to grind out $1K to pay for my NHS (yes, that's the NHS that's meant to be free to those of us who pay National Insurance, which my payslip says I do) dental treatment. So much for the fucking welfare state. I'm off to claim housing/disability/cba (delete as applicable) benefit. :f_mad:


Reply
Quote

I'd go for CBA, although it is means tested (and cba is difficult when you work for a living).


Reply
Quote
chenny8888
Joined: 03.10.2007
Elite Grinder

that chess game looked like some advanced troll (like a facebook hack: when your friend keeps their facebook account logged on and you post some status update).


Reply
Quote
jbpatzer Topic starter
jbpatzer
Joined: 23.11.2009
Oldschool Grinder

Originally posted by Borisian
I'd go for CBA, although it is means tested (and cba is difficult when you work for a living).

CBA it is. I'll look into it next week.

Originally posted by chenny8888
that chess game looked like some advanced troll (like a facebook hack: when your friend keeps their facebook account logged on and you post some status update).

I actually thought that while I was playing it (now where did I get the idea that someone might convince me that I was playing them whilst letting someone else play for them....... ♠_confused: ), but in my experience, when you try some sort of stupid, passive opening, you can lose the will to live pretty quickly if your opponent has any clue what they're doing.

And this is great....


Reply
Quote
gadget51
Joined: 23.06.2008
Oldschool Grinder

I can't even get to see a dentist without paying shitloads that I haven't got, they don't take you if you on NHS around my area. Dentists suck and so will I shortly. :(

To be fair jb, it shouldn't take many hands like those to pay for your dentistry. :)


Reply
Quote
chenny8888
Joined: 03.10.2007
Elite Grinder

Originally posted by jbpatzer

Originally posted by Borisian
I'd go for CBA, although it is means tested (and cba is difficult when you work for a living).

CBA it is. I'll look into it next week.

Originally posted by chenny8888
that chess game looked like some advanced troll (like a facebook hack: when your friend keeps their facebook account logged on and you post some status update).

I actually thought that while I was playing it (now where did I get the idea that someone might convince me that I was playing them whilst letting someone else play for them....... ♠_confused: ), but in my experience, when you try some sort of stupid, passive opening, you can lose the will to live pretty quickly if your opponent has any clue what they're doing.

And this is great....

lol, mine was a massive reverse troll though. My roommate talks a big game when it comes to chess (watches a lot of videos etc at least), but he's just a 1700 :f_ugly:


Reply
Quote
ShadDoneWin
Joined: 18.08.2012
PokerStrategist

Love this thread so much.

Quick question, your opinion on LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol for economics?
Had an offer from Bristol and have an interview at UCL on Wednesday.

Although no ones said it, I reckon you lecture at Notts just because you play at DTD and they have a sicko maths department from what I've heard.


Reply
Quote
bennisboy
Joined: 11.04.2011
PokerStrategist

Originally posted by ShadDoneWin
Love this thread so much.

Quick question, your opinion on LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol for economics?
Had an offer from Bristol and have an interview at UCL on Wednesday.

Although no ones said it, I reckon you lecture at Notts just because you play at DTD and they have a sicko maths department from what I've heard.

LSE > UCL > OTHERS


Reply
Quote
Share: