never seen these before! should be interesting. ty
Originally posted by DrDunneresults wise i've been losing a relatively standard amount at non-showdowns but my SD winnings have been next to break even for a long time which means i'm bleeding money. i realised that my turn play is terrible and i'm not planning my hands well. i'm also acting impulsively snapping off river bets left right and center assuming villain has bluffs when he obviously doesn't. SD fail fail fail ♦ aaand i noticed i've turned into a station whenever someone raises and i have a hand. so i have only myself to blame
![]()
Even Grindcore has said that the micros are all about showdown winnings because so many people just call down very light. Out of curiosity - what kind of VPIP/PFR/3Bet do you run at?
about studying.. i have been reading 'The Mathematics of Poker' and have to say it is an awesome book. i really do suck at maths as i've said many times but i'm interested to get better at it ♦ other than that i've been discussing lots of poker/sweating with a couple people better than me and i'm thankful i have that opportunity.
gl at the tables people
![]()
What kind of math-related content have you found most helpful in the book?
hey pawel thanks for dropping by!
Originally posted by verneer
Even Grindcore has said that the micros are all about showdown winnings because so many people just call down very light. Out of curiosity - what kind of VPIP/PFR/3Bet do you run at?
my sample size is over ~80k hands at nl10 so i think it's good as far as samples go, but at the same time my game is always changing. i went a bit crazy for a month or 2 with a 27/24 game but now i've tightened up quite a bit so it's likely my vpip & pfr will be slightly less than the following:
VPIP = 25
PFR = 21
3bet = 9
WTSD = 26.6
W$SD = 51.2
Originally posted by verneer
What kind of math-related content have you found most helpful in the book?
tbh i'm only at the first couple of chapters where it's talking about basic probability/stats. i spent like a whole evening on ~2 pages of it ♦ my brother studied maths at university as well so i was discussing it with him sometimes and he was writing out proofs and examples for me. shame he doesn't play poker
i have recently tightened up. was quite difficult at first to fold some hands but it's fine now. i don't actually think it's necessarily my opening ranges where the problem lies but in things like my isolation ranges. i think i was isolating way too wide which could explain a lot. i guess time will tell!
What was your biggest/longest downswing at NL10. It seems like everyone decent is profitable at micros even only after 10000 hands with sick wrs (10+bb/100) and I'm only at 6bb/100. I know that's good but I really don't see other bloggers less profitable than me? And I'm stuck in a breakeven stretch for awhile now. Don't think I play too bad (some small leaks but generally a good player esp for NL10 and below) but I feel I'm quite unlucky and sometimes I pay abit more than I should have when my opponents hit their outs on the river.
Originally posted by tommygecko
What was your biggest/longest downswing at NL10. It seems like everyone decent is profitable at micros even only after 10000 hands with sick wrs (10+bb/100) and I'm only at 6bb/100. I know that's good but I really don't see other bloggers less profitable than me? And I'm stuck in a breakeven stretch for awhile now. Don't think I play too bad (some small leaks but generally a good player esp for NL10 and below) but I feel I'm quite unlucky and sometimes I pay abit more than I should have when my opponents hit their outs on the river.
hey tommygecko
i don't think it's necessarily the case that everyone apart from you has a sick winrate... i think it's more to do with everyone who is posts about it whereas those who aren't doing so well are less likely to post. hence me not updating my blog very often ♦
tbh 10,000 hands is absolutely nothing. when i first moved up to nl10 i instantly lost 9BI but then ended up +9BI, all within 10k hands. i was then break even for nearly 100k hands and regularly contemplated quitting... then i moved over to another site and had some instant rungood. i remember at one point a few months back i was at 10bb/100 over 40k hands and i really felt like i'd finally got somewhere with poker. well that soon disappeared and i found myself shooting at nl25, losing, moving down, shooting again etc etc 7 times. i started making good progress on the 7th time but then ended up losing all of that and having to move down once more. the second i moved to nl10 i have pretty much been having terrible results ever since and i don't even want to say how much i've lost at nl10... it's more than 20BI though ♦
i've come to the point where i really don't care so much anymore about moving up in stakes and becoming some epic poker pro. instead i just want to work on my game and be a solid player and understand the game better. over the last 80k hands i'm break even on nl10, so in other words i have been essentially break even for my whole time at nl10... which makes me feel sick given that i've been playing it since august. so this is my longest downswing at nl10 (because i have lost so much recently).
so if you have a + winrate, cherish it ♦ but don't get carried away and don't put too much emphasis on small sample sizes. i think it's really important to always study theory and whenever you're even slightly unsure about something, look into it. often you'll find that you completely misunderstand something and have to spend a long long time working at it.
most importantly, DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER PLAYERS!!! because this is a recipe for disaster. there are so many good players out there and of course it makes us feel bad if we compare ourselves to them. instead just compare yourself to how you played at some point in the past. even though i'm still breaking even which obviously sucks, i feel like i've plugged tons of leaks in this time and i'm just happy to be learning more about it all.
apologies for the essay ♦
Originally posted by Apurvam
Will check out this thread. Seems a good one.
thanks, and welcome
switched back to old HM1 for a bit and life seems a lot nicer.. played some hands just now to sort out my HUD and realised i was sat at an extremely fishy table. was the only table i had open but i thought i'd stay and see if i can make some notes/observations. i see the guy 2 seats to my left seems to love action but isn't very aggro preflop - he hasn't 3bet but loooooooooooves to call. not only that, but he seems so spewy postflop... the only problem is i've only ever seen him turn over 2pair+. his range is super wide but he had some insane flopping skills. so although mostly OOP vs him, i waited and waited.............................. and waited some more. then finally i get something better than 94o!
Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
SB ($11.61)
BB ($10)
UTG ($11.92)
Hero ($10.98)
BTN ($10.55)
Dealt to Hero J♠ J♣
fold, Hero raises to $0.35, BTN calls $0.35, SB calls $0.30, fold
FLOP ($1.15) 3♠ 3♣ 7♠
SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, BTN folds, SB calls $0.80
TURN ($2.75) 3♠ 3♣ 7♠ 8♣
SB checks, Hero bets $1.80, SB calls $1.80
RIVER ($6.35) 3♠ 3♣ 7♠ 8♣ K♦
SB bets $2.40, Hero folds
SB wins $6.06
i found it such a tough laydown since all the draws missed but i think it's ok given how he donks so small (stinks like value) onto a card that looks to only help my range...... he has to have me.
Hey DrD
I think I would call there. I'm not saying it's the best play but I think I would. He might donk hands like 78/99/TT/A8. I just don't see to many valuehands in there.
Lets say if he has 78, the river would be such an action killer for his '3 pair'
so the only way to get value is to donk.
Just my 2c.
most cases i would call as well (but again i am such a station)
all the draws have have missed + K is a perfect bluff card imo
it felt like such a tough spot at the time because it's exactly these hands that make me lose tons at SD. im trying to stop my hero calls in spots like this but a week or so ago i would have snapcalled here. the truth is i didn't know what to do in this hand but i had that sick feeling that he hit AGAIN so i just timed myself out
Originally posted by DrDunne
it felt like such a tough spot at the time because it's exactly these hands that make me lose tons at SD. im trying to stop my hero calls in spots like this but a week or so ago i would have snapcalled here. the truth is i didn't know what to do in this hand but i had that sick feeling that he hit AGAIN so i just timed myself out![]()
Tricky spot lewis I know how you feel about these types of hands, it always feels like they seem to win
I tend to base my decision on wtsd and agg factor on the river in these kind of spots....not saying it will help your win rate....it just makes me feel like I have a plan
hey roo!
yeah he's going to SD a lot but winning tons. also i don't have AF but i have Afq% and although it's pretty low, he's getting much more aggressive towards the river. but only 61 hands or so... either way it seems that this was a pretty bad fold and i missed out on catching his bluff
Originally posted by DrDunne
hey roo!yeah he's going to SD a lot but winning tons. also i don't have AF but i have Afq% and although it's pretty low, he's getting much more aggressive towards the river. but only 61 hands or so... either way it seems that this was a pretty bad fold and i missed out on catching his bluff
![]()
I dont think its too bad to fold if you think your beat
I like Ras and fabs replies though they seem to make a lot of sense
I'm sure you will take his money once you start to get a few notes on him when he does show his cards
I like to give them the benefit of the doubt to start with but then once I know they are bluffing with busted draws etc, I have no problem getting my chips in the middle.
Originally posted by DrDunne
hey roo!yeah he's going to SD a lot but winning tons. also i don't have AF but i have Afq% and although it's pretty low, he's getting much more aggressive towards the river. but only 61 hands or so... either way it seems that this was a pretty bad fold and i missed out on catching his bluff
![]()
don't forget we don't have the dynamics you had at the time so a fold is not terribad but I think just too nitty as there will be bluffs in this spot a lot. on the other hand depending on dynamics I might fold this hand on occasions or if i have reads that villain does only this for value for example (raise size etc).
without special reads or dynamics, I snap call though
@hand: He can usually bet like that with 99, TT, 78, A8ss, A7cc, etc.. That makes JJ a call imo.
after a terrible session i realised for some reason on 1 table my blinds were still being posted instead of me sitting out next BB. so i played 1 more orbit. great, last hand i play is AK UTG. lets see what we can do with that. villain 3bets like 20% over a smallish sample.
Stacks:
DrDunne (UTG) ($14.46) 145bb
UTG+1 ($5.80) 58bb
CO ($5.90) 59bb
BTN ($10) 100bb
SB ($11.52) 115bb
BB ($10) 100bb
Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) DrDunne is UTG K♣ A♥
DrDunne raises to $0.30, 1 fold, CO raises to $0.50, 3 folds, DrDunne raises to $1.80, CO goes all-in $5.40, DrDunne calls $4.10
Flop: 8♥ 6♣ Q♥ ($10.15, 2 players, 1 all-in)
Turn: 5♣ ($10.15, 2 players, 1 all-in)
River: Q♣ ($10.15, 2 players, 1 all-in)
Spoiler
Final Pot: $10.15
DrDunne shows
K♣ A♥
CO shows
A♣ 10:club:
CO wins $11.36 (net +$5.46)
DrDunne lost $4.10
one word:

