ITM - Next Chapter (NLHE HU-SH-FR )

• Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      [SIZE=16]Chapter I:[/SIZE] Into the millions (NL BSS SH&FR)

I call it "chapter 1" because there is where my pokerstory begins, my rise. I deposited $50 with the intent of being a professional/winning poker player and aiming at my longterm goals (of which one is to win at least 1mil $$$ from poker, thus the blog name).

I skyrocketed through the stakes till I reached NL50 (I played only FR), there I started to withdraw and enjoyed the fruits of my work =)

Overall I withdrew @$10.000 only from poker winnings (from poker I made more, but I'm not gonna go into that [ex. TAF)

All good, until a big downswing in the worst moment possible hit. I had the first losing month in over a year, then a break-even month.

I see myself as a great player, I also know you should never stop improving. But somehow I keep getting my ass kicked, the poker gods are messing with me ().

This is where...

CHAPTER II

... starts.

The struggle. The new start. Releasing all the breaks and reaching new levels.

Initially I've started with $50, now I'm starting with over $1k, playing NL25 SH (6 tables).

The main goal for this blog is to update daily. The secondary goal is to be as productive as I can in my posts - so whoever would read them to also improve greatly as a pokerplayer.

• 293 replies
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze

This is better, but good luck anyway. :D
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

Indeed. :s_cool:
    • cojonel
      cojonel
      Global
      hope one day you ll have that milion! Good luck mate!
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Bronze
      good luck :)
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      All 6max hands graph:

If this doesn't crush your soul, I don't know what does.

Me VS SH There's not enough internet for both of us...

1 - 0 for 6max till now :D
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Wow, that's pretty fucked up ... Limits/in bb ?

This can't be just variance!?
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      O_o ouch.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      [img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8EA_CRhxAGMduCYk1muL_SK7cEz2AdgLREmaKTwX9uBkXeHOXvw[/img]

Your attitude to pain is pure Zen. You have my respect.
    • cataah
      cataah
      Bronze
      i love that graph
      and I am happy you posted it. Happy for you, happy for me and happy for other players

happy for you: because i know that you were in ugly situation and every time we get out of any shit, we get out stronger. You know that too ;)

happy for me: because i was in an ugly situation too and i really wanted to see a graph like that and an attitude like yours. Thanks for sharing!

happy for others: because when others see how shitty poker is sometimes and you still go on, they probably get motivated or something.
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      I want money to do all this :f_love:

and this
      http://de.pokerstrategy.com/video/1710/

Originally posted by StaticMoth
      Wow, that's pretty fucked up ... Limits/in bb ?

This can't be just variance!?
      NL50 & NL25. It can't be just variance that's to big of a samplesize. It's probably a combination of bad play/inexperience and variance. Downswings have the nasty habit to feed on themselves.

Originally posted by vonki
      O_o ouch.
      You actually said I should start slow, 2 limits below what I play normally and I didn't listen. I was like "I'm to big of a boy to listen to a little girl" :P

Now I know what you meant.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8EA_CRhxAGMduCYk1muL_SK7cEz2AdgLREmaKTwX9uBkXeHOXvw[/img]

Your attitude to pain is pure Zen. You have my respect.
      Thanks sir! You have two options, you either can feel sorry for yourself and let it ruin your hole day/week or you can get over it and focus on the solution.

A example that I'm thinking right now is this: Let's suppose your car breaks and you can only repair it tomorrow - you can let this ruin your hole day, or you can enjoy your day like any other. Feel good or feel bad... hard choice :D

But believe me, when that graph happened it was not easy to take.

Originally posted by cataah
      i love that graph
      and I am happy you posted it. Happy for you, happy for me and happy for other players

happy for you: because i know that you were in ugly situation and every time we get out of any shit, we get out stronger. You know that too ;)

happy for me: because i was in an ugly situation too and i really wanted to see a graph like that and an attitude like yours. Thanks for sharing!

happy for others: because when others see how shitty poker is sometimes and you still go on, they probably get motivated or something.
      Nice way to look at things. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by EmanuelC16

Indeed. :s_cool:
      I strongly disagree, but thanks :]

Originally posted by cojonel
      hope one day you ll have that milion! Good luck mate!
      Thank you very much mate!

There's not much left for me to win ... only $990.000 more. :D

@JazBenz, Thanks =)
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Gabinr1
      Originally posted by vonki
      O_o ouch.
      You actually said I should start slow, 2 limits below what I play normally and I didn't listen. I was like "I'm to big of a boy to listen to a little girl" :P

Now I know what you meant.
      haha, actually thats quite hurtful that you don't respect what I say because you think I'm just a little girl who doesnt know what she's saying.

In a way, I can't help but feel that in a way, you deserved what you got. Ignorance and ego is some of the biggest enemys of (male) pokerplayers. ;)

I still don't wish this for anyone, but you learnt a valuable lesson. :) Maybe next time you will take my advice. \o
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Can we say that everybody who plays 6 or more tables is an ok regular? They may have leaks, but are not fish. Do you ever see fish that play more than 2 tables?

Anyhow

NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Full Tilt
      SB ($30.34)
      BB ($25.35)
      UTG ($31.34)
      CO ($29.09)
      Hero ($34.31)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: K:spade:

UTG raises to $0.75, fold, Hero raises to $2.75, SB calls $2.65, fold, fold

FLOP ($6.50) 8:spade: 2:diamond: T:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $4, SB raises to $18.50, Hero raises to $31.56 (AI), SB calls $9.09 (AI)

Hero shows K:diamond: K:spade:
      SB shows K:club: K:heart:

I like freerolls.

TURN ($61.68) 8:spade: 2:diamond: T:diamond: 8:diamond:

RIVER ($61.68) 8:spade: 2:diamond: T:diamond: 8:diamond: 5:diamond:

Hero wins $58.68

BOOM! It's about time to win one like this. I've lost till now, from what I remember, 3 times AA vs AA all in preflop and won none.
      Also posted this hand today: SH NL25 - 66 on 7QQ facing a c/r

SB ($33.81)
      Hero ($25)
      CO ($46.61)
      BTN ($26.27)

Dealt to Hero J:club: Q:club:

fold, BTN raises to $0.75, fold, Hero calls $0.50

FLOP ($1.60) 8:heart: 2:club: 4:club:

Hero bets $1.25, BTN raises to $3.25, Hero calls $2

TURN ($8.10) 8:heart: 2:club: 4:club: T:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN bets $4.50, Hero raises to $21 (AI), BTN calls $16.50

RIVER ($50.10) 8:heart: 2:club: 4:club: T:diamond: 3:spade:

BTN shows 8:spade: 7:spade:
      (Pre 38%, Flop 46.2%, Turn 59.1%)

Hero shows J:club: Q:club:
      (Pre 62%, Flop 53.8%, Turn 40.9%)

BTN wins $48.10

W000t?!

Is my hand so obvious? ("yeah obvious draw, lets call with middle pair")

Villain is 23/19/1.8 (119 hands)
      plays only 1 table...

At least I now know how to play my strong hands against him =)
      The JQ hand, from above: SH Nl25 QJ draw played aggressively

TODAY (actually yesterday, but yesterday did not end yet for me)

March so far

Is history repeating itself? I will still play NL25 tomorrow, but If results continue to look like this (aka if I don't win), monday I'm down to NL10 for more learning and confidence.

I've cut down the tables to 2-5 and I bought the $250 bonus from the BlackCard store.

(I just love this vid)
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Hey buddy, i see you are having kinda rough time with variance striking hard.

Wev all been there. Your mindset and attitude is very strong, im sure you can fight through this! Good luck man and keep improving!
    • LRush
      LRush
      Bronze
      you mnust have leaks, there are many fishies in nl25... hard to be all variance... why don't you post your stats?
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      This is me not trusting my spidey senses:

SB ($26.50)
      BB ($20.14)
      CO ($28.13)
      Hero ($49.49)

Dealt to Hero A:club: Q:spade:

CO raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, fold, BB calls $0.50

FLOP ($2.35) J:heart: T:spade: 9:club:

BB checks, CO bets $1.75, Hero calls $1.75, BB folds

TURN ($5.85) J:heart: T:spade: 9:club: 8:diamond:

CO bets $3.75, Hero calls $3.75

RIVER ($13.35) J:heart: T:spade: 9:club: 8:diamond: 3:heart:

CO bets $11.80, Hero calls $11.80

Hero shows A:club: Q:spade:
      (Pre 75%, Flop 12.6%, Turn 6.8%)

CO shows Q:diamond: K:club:
      (Pre 25%, Flop 87.4%, Turn 93.2%)

CO wins $35.11

The big bet on the river was a huge red flag, villain knows he can get value from weaker straigths. KQ obvious in my mind.

I wanted to fold and show my hand, but then the fish in me took control... I started to fantasize of weaker hands and split pots.
      OMG, I got to stop playing when I'm tired. I suddenly find myself on the flop, I look at the hand and wonder how the hell did the pot get so big. I have a pocket pair, the pot is $8. Fortunately I floped a boat :f_biggrin: and stacked villain. Apparently I coldcalled a 3bet (i'm BU) with 44.

Didn't sleep much last time, I went to bed at @9:00 (morning time) and woke up at 13:00, it was a nice day with a lot of sun so it was hard for me to remain asleep.

TODAY

It seems that I'm not a total fish after all :tongue:

Currently I'm building my preflop game, I have 4 PokerStove pictures on my desk with opening ranges, from UTG, MP, CO and BTN. I'm making them my standard preflop open - which I can then adapt to my liking (opponents, image and dynamic).

It's hard to play postflop and asses ranges if you don't understand the preflop in your game. This is a challenge to me.

(you gotta love romanian music, I know I do :f_p: )
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      TODAY

I made a few mistakes at the end. It was supposed to be the first session, but now it ends being the only session, I don't feel so good right now (headache) so I'm gonna let it at this today. I want to play in the best shape.

I've memorized the opening ranges, this chart tightens my game and that's a good thing, because I was probably playing too loose for my own good :f_grin:
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      I tried to sleep but couldn't, I did some exercises and now I'm all energized. My headache miraculously dissipated.

Barreling
      - always have a plan for the next streets
      - good cards to double barrel are the ones that increase your equity and scare cards (A, K and flush cards are the most common)
      - bad cards to barrel are the ones that pair the board
      - you can 3barrel profitable if the turn card brings a second flushdraw

@JuiceQuadre, thanks mate! I always appreciated your support.

@Vonki, it's not that I did not took in consideration your advice, I did, I always do. Just didn't pass through my mind that anything like that could happen or that it will affect me. I hope you still care for me and you''ll give me more advice that I will not listen because of ego and ignorance :P
    • utenosmelynas
      utenosmelynas
      Bronze
      Romanian music ftw! :) Love it :f_love: :D

Gabi, you're not alone. Atm I run 400$(9.5 buyins) below EV in 6k hands, ofc it's nothing compared to your experiences :) I'm not perfect player, I made some stupid "out of line" mistakes, which cost me ~3-4buyins(even here where i made long-term mistake i had fe and in case opp folds i could be extremely big winner in short term. which leads to reapeating this -ev play again and again consciously. and sometimes in short term u are not realising that this is -ev move. sick. and vice versa. when u make +ev move in short term it can fail 10times in a row which leads to believe that it's -ev.) . But also I made many great plays and I proud of them. The $outcome(green line) in poker can be soo inaccurate EVEN if you have better skill(hand read well,understand position, understand poker way more better than your opponents, etc.. ) plus when we are taking many small edges we add more variance. Short term can be so sick.. you know, in poker anyone can win.. anyone preflop has % to win.. and when be balance between these two sides(-ev;+ev) sometimes we just don't feel when conditions changed,maybe opp adjusted, and now we making -ev sitoations. Again, more variance. Even if we are making -ev sitoation we can win and sit out of the table as as winners with happy face cos "we played well". And vice versa, we can sit out of the table as loosers even when we played extremely well. :)

I hope you don't mind that i spam your blog :)

One more thing. By seeing your sick graph I can guess that non-sd line looks extremely bad? or non-sd line is upper than green line? :)

btw, Gabi, maybe you want to make some sweat sessions and work together. I guess our style is pretty much same. and now we both play 6max. Just write here or private msg :)
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      @utenosmelynas,

Originally posted by utenosmelynas
      Romanian music ftw! :) Love it :f_love: :D
      +1 Can't agree more :D

Gabi, you're not alone. Atm I run 400$(9.5 buyins) below EV in 6k hands, ofc it's nothing compared to your experiences :) I'm not perfect player, I made some stupid "out of line" mistakes, which cost me ~3-4buyins(even here where i made long-term mistake i had fe and in case opp folds i could be extremely big winner in short term. which leads to reapeating this -ev play again and again consciously. and sometimes in short term u are not realising that this is -ev move. sick. and vice versa. when u make +ev move in short term it can fail 10times in a row which leads to believe that it's -ev.) . But also I made many great plays and I proud of them. The $outcome(green line) in poker can be soo inaccurate EVEN if you have better skill(hand read well,understand position, understand poker way more better than your opponents, etc.. ) plus when we are taking many small edges we add more variance. Short term can be so sick.. you know, in poker anyone can win.. anyone preflop has % to win.. and when be balance between these two sides(-ev;+ev) sometimes we just don't feel when conditions changed,maybe opp adjusted, and now we making -ev sitoations. Again, more variance. Even if we are making -ev sitoation we can win and sit out of the table as as winners with happy face cos "we played well". And vice versa, we can sit out of the table as loosers even when we played extremely well. :)

I hope you don't mind that i spam your blog :)
      This is definitely not spam. Very well thought, I get what you're saying. This is why poker is profitable, because it rewards bad play and punishes good play. I like this part because it's challenging. Poker is such a complex game, I simply love it :heart:

One more thing. By seeing your sick graph I can guess that non-sd line looks extremely bad? or non-sd line is upper than green line? :)
      Non-sd disaster.

btw, Gabi, maybe you want to make some sweat sessions and work together. I guess our style is pretty much same. and now we both play 6max. Just write here or private msg :)
      I have never been into sweat sessions, but I guess I should give it a go now. It can be a great tool for improvement.

You got PM.