why do u have an edge??

• i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      I was talking to a rec player about poker in general. He plays with the expectation to lose money and he usually does. We got into a coversation about whether poker is beatable (ofc I said poker is beatable as I having been playing semi professionally for a while now), he disagreed. I said "I have an edge on the field therefore I will win in the longrun." He said, "doesnt everyone think they have an edge and will win if they keep playing, its gambling after all, why do u have an edge?"

This got me thinking how do I define my edge and what is the reason that I have an edge.

Defining my edge

This is the easy part. I have many graphs from both online and live poker in both tournaments and cash games through significant sample sizes that show that I am a winning player. The fact that I am winning player means I have an edge on my opponents. This got my thinking about why I have an edge.

Why I have an edge

The first reason I have an edge is I can reasonably assume that I spend more time studying the game that anyone else sitting at my tables. I have also spent more time studying in the past than my anyone at my table. This means I have a stronger theoretical bankground to the game compared to my opponents.

But as everyone knows, studying the game can only get u so far in poker. I have been focusing alot of live poker lately at the relativly low stakes (nl200-500), and I can confidently say that I have more experience playing the game than almost any player that I have played with. I have experienced every situation countless times and know how to react instantly.

Sorry for the tldr, i was curious as to why U feel that u have an edge?
  • 32 replies
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      People keep playing ranges that I dominate, paying too much for their draws, giving me too good implied odds on my own draws and speculative hands and generally making more mistakes than I do.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      Some ppl will say you dont have to say WHY do I have an edge BUT WHAT is my edge ;)
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Simply put you are making less mistakes than your opponents and furthermore you can exploit their mistakes. And by mistake I mean any deviation that would be made if you were to play with seeing each other's cards.

You have many tools to help you with that (most of which is based on math) like positional awareness, the ability to estimate certain probabilities, being able to think in hand ranges, etc.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Epic question i5bet72o!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's 2c here :)

Gary
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I read souls.

Well, it's kinda hard to put the why's into words. For the most part my edge comes from me being capable to notice my opponents exploitable tendencies and adjusting to it faster as well as being able to quickly notice them adjusting to me and re-adjusting to exploit those adjustments again.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      There are several edges:
      Cards -- you play cards that you know are ahead of the ranges of your opponents
      Position -- you play your cards in position as far as possible
      Knowledge -- You study the game so that you recognize when you actually have the first two edges
      Experience -- you play several thousand hands per month, which gives you the ability to recognize places where you can profit.
      Temperament -- you do not tilt when running bad, nor do you get cocky when running good.
      Luck -- you are such a luckbox that you hit the flop more often by far than the better players.
      Health -- you eat well, exercise, and get plenty of sleep, and drink only enough alcohol to ease the jitters

I still don't have enough knowledge and experience to take advantage of the first four, so lean heavily on the last three -- primarily luck and alcohol actually.

Remember: Playing winning poker is like curing acne -- you must pick your spots carefully.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Are you asking if we think we have an edge over the field, what is the edge or why we have an edge over the field?

#1 Do you have an edge over the field?

That one is easy since that is your winrate. In case your winrate in bb is over >0 you have an edge over the field your playing with. So this one is easy to answer and you can answer it in terms of bb/100.

#2 What is an edge

An egde is simply put you making less mistakes then your opponents and thefor win in the long run.

#3 Why do we have the edge?

Well obviously because if you play professional or even semi-professional your spending a lot more time playing/studying then a recreational player who plays 2 hours a week with 0 studying. Its the same in any sport/activity. The more hours you spend on some activity the better you become at it.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Awesome potential for an epic discussion, will be following for sure!
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Luck -- you are such a luckbox that you hit the flop more often by far than the better players.
      True, but it took a few years of study to be able to do it time after time
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      You have an edge because your knowledge of the game is better than fishes. IE:

You know when to setmine profitably
      Your preflop game is more solid
      You do not overvalue you overpairs on bad boards with tons of action
      Your bet sizing is better
      You are familiar with what tilt is and how to cope with it.
      You are self-critical.

All of the above and many, many more makes that edge. In other words, during your life-time poker career your decisions are more optimal than bad players', you make less mistakes and therefore have an edge in skill. Which sooner or later transforms into an edge in a bankroll.

And to answer that topic question directly: you have an edge because either you studied and put more effort into learning OR have more experience. :)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Why do I have an edge?

Simples.

I'm a PokerStrategy Member :f_love:
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Im Alficor1.
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      You can articulate:

1. Why a play is correct or incorrect.
      For example, calling three-bets from a nit with 95o is a losing play because _______.

2. What you can do to profit from incorrect plays.
      For example, once I see that some calls three-bets with 95o, I can ________ to profit from them.

Away from a hand, you know what you need to do to put yourself in a position where you are playing your A-game for long and longer periods of time.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Becuase I don't fold. ever.

You can't win if you fold.
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1

That's always my advice to anyone who complains about their redline.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze

That's part of the keep depositing until you go pro strategy, no?
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze

After a year and a half of having you with us, we're starting to understand this to the fullest!
    • FingersMalone
      FingersMalone
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      There are several edges:
      Cards -- you play cards that you know are ahead of the ranges of your opponents
      Position -- you play your cards in position as far as possible
      Knowledge -- You study the game so that you recognize when you actually have the first two edges
      Experience -- you play several thousand hands per month, which gives you the ability to recognize places where you can profit.
      Temperament -- you do not tilt when running bad, nor do you get cocky when running good.
      Health -- you eat well, exercise, and get plenty of sleep, and drink only enough alcohol to ease the jitters

I still don't have enough knowledge and experience to take advantage of the first four, so lean heavily on the last three -- primarily luck and alcohol actually.

Remember: Playing winning poker is like curing acne -- you must pick your spots carefully.
      Genius
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Im just a very edgy person in general