Study while sleeping (literally)

• Poll
    • Is studying while sleeping a waste of time?

Yes
        57%
        No
        43%
      Total: 21 Votes
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      So since mental game is so close to controllable dreams, i wondered if it would be possible to study while you sleep?

The thing is, you cant really study your database, unless you somehow will be able to pull it out from the subconcious (which btw gives huge amt of tell while lucid dreaming)

What im really asking is, in order to be able to have lucid dreams everynight, or atleast once a week (read some unpleasant stories about ppl experimenting with lucid dreaming and then taking it too far. Worst case scenario is you start to become unsure whether you are awake or dreaming, which brings further to the point if you fall asleep in your lucid dream, so you have a dream in a dream, it can give scar for lifes. It doesnt even have to be a dream in a dream in a dream etc, but it can be a regular lucid dream where you experience something that bothers your subconcious so much, so you will never forget it) i have to study and make a dreaming journal in order to recover the dream state, so you can activate the lucid'ness.

But will the time spended on beeing able to dream lucidly, be larger than if i just study what i want to study instead? Because i think its kinda interesting you can get clues from your subconcious in theese dreams (not to mention you can bang Jennifer Aniston in her age from first episode of friends) :D

Also it should give signs to how you are as a person, which you might have supressed.
      Ex: You kill the hole world in the dream with a bazooka, is somewhat normal, since most get "god complex" when beeing able to control everything.
      But if you do stuff like tormenting younglings on purpose for the sake of fun, dont tell anyone u had that dream.
      If u get my point?

Waste/not waste of time?
      http://strawpoll.me/2685349
  • 11 replies
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      You watch too much inception bro :coolface:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey martinemem,

This very question has intrigued me for decades. I have seen and known people to listen to motivational and learning whilst sleeping.

So interesting that I have decided to turn it in to a poll here. Wouldn't it be great as poker players to be able to play while awake and study while you sleep.

Cheers

Laz
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Bronze
      If by lucid dreaming you mean hypnosis, then yes, I believe to some extent that you can talk to the subconscious this way (including self-suggestion by a pre-recorded audio file).
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I slept through countless lectures at university, and still got a degree, so perhaps there is something to it :coolface:

However, I personally think that sleep is necessary for the mind to sort out its input from the previous day, and perhaps prepare for the next.

I have had numerous incidents of suddenly waking up with the solution to a problem I had been working on.

I'm not sure if trying to stuff more input in during sleep would be long-term helpful.

Would you feel as rested in the morning?

Also, for myself personally, I sleep best in total silence.
      Certain sounds -- like doors opening -- bring me to full wakefulness instantly. Other sounds -- especially natural ones or common ones I can sleep right through.

I don't think I'd do well with spoken audio playing while I slept.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • lnternet
      lnternet
      Bronze
      Always listen to the same music when grinding. Then turn that music on during the night. BOOM session review initiated in your brain while you sleep.
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      If by lucid dreaming you mean hypnosis, then yes, I believe to some extent that you can talk to the subconscious this way (including self-suggestion by a pre-recorded audio file).
      I guess hypnosis is in the same category as lucid dreaming. And yes you can both hypnotize yourself and you can activate a lucid dream by yourself.
      But still i dont think its that compareable.

A lucid dream is when you are sleeping, and realizing you are dreaming, but not waking up. I think it was around 10-25 lucid dreams everyone experience during their life. But it should be possible to have them even 10000x as often.

I have never been hypnotized, so i dont know that much about how that works. I do know that since its possible to recover memory hidden by your brain to protect yourself from the memory. So in some sense it is maybe the same thing.
      That exact thing, recover hidden memory, is maybe the most usefull. Selective memory is why im still @ micro stakes.
      When i think about it, i have had i think 2+ lucid dreams. One around 16 years ago, the other bw 10-20 nov last year. And it is first now that i understand what it really was. And im pretty sure i have had much more than theese 2. But theese 2 i can remember.

Would you feel as rested in the morning?

In theory, yes. But i do not know. REM sleep is the sleeping state where you actually get something out of sleeping. And you cant dream without beeing in REM sleep right?

Always listen to the same music when grinding. Then turn that music on during the night. BOOM session review initiated in your brain while you sleep.

Very creative and powerfull advise. Without trying it yet im actually already sure it will do something at least. The purpose is to connect one of the senses with a experience, so that when this sense hear something similiar, the brain will think about what happened during that song right?
      The reason i think this could work, is because i have tried grinding with a playlist. Then a song comes on, and you at the same time deviate from a gameplan, and you ended up tilting because of it. Then next day with same playlist, you instantly remember what happened during the "tilt-"song.

This is probably a personal oppinion, but do you think it would work best to have a music schedule. So for instance, when you take a shot at next limit; playlist1, when you do a quick summary of the biggest pots; playlist2, when you think about why you are analyzing a poem for the school; playlist3?
      Do you think that to have a "choice of action" to what you wanna think about during sleep, would only complicate or improve this approach?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by martinemem
      A lucid dream is when you are sleeping, and realizing you are dreaming, but not waking up. I think it was around 10-25 lucid dreams everyone experience during their life. But it should be possible to have them even 10000x as often.
      I somehow managed to do this when I was quite young. I even remember the dream in which it occurred.

It was a dream that re-occurred often, and at some point I took control of it. After that, I pretty much could do as I wished.

I have never intentionally tried to do anything constructive, though.

I should look into this...
      --VS
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lnternet
      What kind of music would be best for this?
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kenthmp
      Originally posted by lnternet
      What kind of music would be best for this?

I imagine something like this...

• Sepurta
      Sepurta
      Bronze
      For me its stupid, because poker is very tiring thing and for that you need to have time for your brain to rest to be refreshed on the next day.
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sepurta
      For me its stupid, because poker is very tiring thing and for that you need to have time for your brain to rest to be refreshed on the next day.
      While it is true it is very energy consuming, it doesnt have to be bad thing though.

To paint a picture of something compareable: 0 stress is just as bad as too much stress.

So if you can rest while thinking about poker, how can that ever be stupid?