Fullring vs 6-max

• LoBrue
      LoBrue
      Bronze
      Heyho guys,
      1 and a half years ago I stopped playing poker (NL -> BSS) and the last month I played I tried to check out whether Fullring or 6-max is the best type of NoLimit for me. Now i am back infected with poker and i am not sure about how I should go on now :thinking:

I know the basic-differences and playstyles ... but maybe you can tell me your thoughts and how you would handle the decision :f_love:

Fullring or 6-max - Btw: I want to treat this decition for a long term :) How easy it would be to change the variant after 2 years in a highter limit?
  • 19 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      I've played both and I'll over simplify my thoughts. My main bit of advise is try both.

I currently played 6max as I enjoy it a lot more. I originally played FR but found it boring after a point. Others may disagree but I find 6max is a lot more interesting with a lot more marginal spots. My opinion, if you'd rather play loads of tables with less variance, FR is for you. Otherwise, if you'd like to play faster with less tables, give 6max a try.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      I prefer full ring. 6max is a loose game and thats it... FR has alot more differences in styles. Tight guys raise AJs+ UTG, LAGs raise even 64s. Its mostly a tighter game, but in poker people make the game interesting and if there are 9 people, the game becomes crazier with different styles. Plus, ofc, its easier to nit-up and grind 20 tables/6 zooms where it gets boring but the rb is good.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Castle93
      My opinion, if you'd rather play loads of tables with less variance, FR is for you. Otherwise, if you'd like to play faster with less tables, give 6max a try.
      +1
      FR --> Less Variance --> Easier to multitable and play several hours

If you don't like that much to multitable, or you love action, then SH.

My expanded opinion on the subject you can find here.
    • LoBrue
      LoBrue
      Bronze
      Thx guys :f_love:
      I think this will help me in my decition!!!!!! :)

You confirmed my thoughts completly. And I know that i prefer to play less tables and more action. It is just the feeling but I rather will go 6-max.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      For beginners I would recommend FR, it's easier to memorise ranges and you're gonna have less post-flop decisions. That being said you will still have loads of opportunities to outplay your opponents. However the choise is yours and I would recommending trying out both for a few k hands before taking the decision.
    • LoBrue
      LoBrue
      Bronze
      Yeah i played around 1 year FR and 1 Month 6-Max. I heard this as well -> FR is easier to beginn, to start, and to win.

I think I will go on @ 6-Max for the next 2-Month: This are around 100x 1h sessions. (Maybe) after this i am able to fix my statement or throw it away :D
      Anyway I will get some point to doubt my decition but this is a part I will get anyway. No difference whether i play FR or 6-Max.

I am also sure about playing "normal" tables, cuz I think i will learn more about the different player. I can make notes and dont have to be afraid loosing the player after 1 round an get some new :D - And I will never play more than 4 tables the same time. My main target is = getting better. I give more or less a "fukkk" about how many hands I've grinded in a week. I have engought points to improve before building thoughts about topics like "lets multitable with more tables as i can count" :D 4 are enough for me

Thx for ur opinion JCSeerup :f_love:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      It is getting much harder to find FR tables.
      Well, you can find them, but most are empty :)

I do agree that you can play more tables of FR, but you don't play a lot of hands in the first 3 positions, so you may as well play fewer tables, and get more action.

Cheers,
      VS
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

I do agree that you can play more tables of FR, but you don't play a lot of hands in the first 3 positions, so you may as well play fewer tables, and get more action.

Cheers,
      VS
      Unless he want to play 2/4+ he should be able to find tables.
    • Gawdless73
      Gawdless73
      Bronze
      I much prefer 6max as I just find there isnt enough action on full ring tables.
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      6-max versus full ring cash games - What's the best choice for a beginner?

This will surely help you decide.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by AlphaVillain
      6-max versus full ring cash games - What's the best choice for a beginner?

This will surely help you decide.
      Hi, AlphaVillain,
      Interesting pair of graphs.
      Do they tell us much about the difference between the two formats, or do they emphasize the importance of blind play?
      The graphs imply the FR is better for beginners, but they show play at NL 25 -- not the usual game for beginners.

In NL 10 6-max I attack the blinds hard from BU and SB and less from CO, and defend BB strongly as well.
      I recently played some FR to "see what happened" and did not like it much.

First, you sit and do nothing for 3 hands out of every orbit, unless you get a decent hand, in which case everyone folds because they know it.
      Or they raise you because they have better -- either way its a pain.

I do agree with you though:
      FR is better for beginners because it rewards tight aggressive play more so than does 6-max -- at least it seems to do so.

I'll have a look at my own graphs to see if I can spot similar tendencies.

Best of luck,
      VS

I do reasonably well
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      Well, first of all, since you play tighter in full ring, you will have less tough decisions to make, so that is objectively easier for beginners. Also, the swings are smaller, so they tilt you less, and beginners are very prone to tilt.

Second of all, about doing nothing in the first 3 positions, I guess that depends on your playing style. I play extremely aggressive and I open around 10% even UTG (which is not very far from a 6max standard UTG open), and I often 3bet or squeeze UTG opens with suited connectors and suited aces when I know it's profitable.

So, what I'm saying is: you have the option to be a nit as a beginner at full ring and still make a small (or at least break even) profit until you learn how to play better and loosen up, but that's not your only option as you evolve as a player.

In the end, though, if you want to reach stakes like NL100, you have to switch to 6-max, as full ring games don't have that many tables running above NL25-NL50. I just think that FR is a better starting point and the transition to 6-max is not hard at all once you've become a decent player.
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JCSeerup
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

Cheers,
      VS
      Unless he want to play 2/4+ he should be able to find tables.
      Only if you play on stars. Other sites are pretty dead for FR.
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      Yes, 888 is the only other room that still has full ring tables running 24/7.
    • miloskrstic
      miloskrstic
      Silver
      For larger role playing full ring to make as little BB, while for smaller roles 6max. Until you get used to the higher stakes.
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      Originally posted by miloskrstic
      For larger role playing full ring to make as little BB, while for smaller roles 6max. Until you get used to the higher stakes.
      Not sure what you are trying to say here...
    • Aerox232
      Aerox232
      Bronze
      I guess Full ring have smaller variance, but i prefer 6-max, everyone is looser.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      At first I thought he was saying that FR is better for large bankrolls, and 6-max for smaller ones.
      I think the opposite is likely true.

Perhaps he meant to suggest that FR is better when you are first moving up to a new limit -- which is probably correct -- assuming that there are FR tables available at that limit.

VS
    • xavez0
      xavez0
      Bronze
      Ooops wrong thread! Sry