Have you Read "The Holy Bible"?

• justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Have you Read "The Holy Bible"?

I'm getting to the stage in my life where I feel I should start to believe in something. I've never known what I want to achieve in life except the minor details like living a happy and fulfilling one.

But over the past year I've begun to wonder, Is "The Holy Bible" just the best ever written novel of all time OR an actual way of life....

So, who have read it, thoughts and beliefs?

P.s this is no means of any criticism to any religion or political views. I'm just a curious 21 yr old boy :)
  • 106 replies
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      was your latest downswing really that bad? :f_biggrin:
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrPavlos
      was your latest downswing really that bad? :f_biggrin:
      hahaha :heart:
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      haha nah, honestly I just watched The Book of Eli and I was wow'ed.
      And every hotel has it in that little side table. There is people on the streets trying to get you involved. Internet, Tv, Magazines.
      Its everywhere you go.
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      ye bible is a smart move to convert people believe in something , forgeting their problems and making few people rich .

If u want to believe in something start believe to yourself and yourself only.
      No god or no greater power will make your life happier .

As far as holy bible is full with inaccurate things, the more u dig about religion the funnier it becomes.I dont want to insult people who believe in religion (whatever religion that is ) but it is not coincidence that most of the greatest minds even from the ancient greek times werent believing in a god(s).

All these said by a guy that was raised as a christian.Just try to be open minded and have in mind that none religion will help u in hard times , only yourself and your siblings/friends.

Other than that u can read bible , funny and interesting tale nothing more :D
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schris7
      ye bible is a smart move to convert people believe in something , forgeting their problems and making few people rich .

As far as holy bible is full with inaccurate things, the more u dig about religion the funnier it becomes.I dont want to insult people who believe in religion (whatever religion that is ) but it is not coincidence that most of the greatest minds even from the ancient greek times werent believing in a god(s).

All these said by a guy that was raised as a christian.Just try to be open minded and have in mind that none religion will help u in hard times , only yourself and your siblings/friends.

Other than that u can read bible , funny and interesting tail nothing more :D
      well this was my train of thought too. well...still is.
      I'm the kind of person that is sceptical about anything and everything until I see it for my own eyes.
      It just leads onto so many different topics and is really interesting.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      The Bible is awesome in general, but I wouldn't recommend anyone the book of Genesis. I think everyone should read the holy scripts of every major religion at least once in his life time.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hadi
      The Bible is awesome in general, but I wouldn't recommend anyone the book of Genesis. I think everyone should read the holy scripts of every major religion at least once in his life time.
      Reasoning's?
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I think you'll find all the answers you need at the God FAQ.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      Haven't read it from cover to cover but if you know where to look from it involves some great stories.

I actually believe that every one has to believe in something. Wheter it's luck, karma, god, religion, science etc. I haven't yet found anyone that doesn't believe in anything... And I'm in doubt that I ever will.

edit: btw, by the title of this thread, I thought that you meant Doyle's bible...
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      believe in whatever thing makes you and the ones you care, happy... and dont take yourself too seriously

@jbpatzer LOL at GOD FAQ :P
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      I lol'ed when i read that GoD FAQ

THE OFFICIAL GOD FAQ
      Question: “Is there a God?”

Answer: “No.”
    • cash4mebg
      cash4mebg
      Bronze
      Watch Zeitgeist, it will help you have a " whole new look " about the awesome crap religion is. I am not saying that people should not believe in something, I am saying that they shouldn't believe in the " all mighty " that always watches from above and blah blah... you know what I mean. It is hard for educated people (I think we are, if we are learning and understanding poker is more than a game of luck) to believe in such things.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      This is going to be so much fun...

Originally posted by justkyle88
      I'm getting to the stage in my life where I feel I should start to believe in something. I've never known what I want to achieve in life except the minor details like living a happy and fulfilling one.

But over the past year I've begun to wonder, Is "The Holy Bible" just the best ever written novel of all time OR an actual way of life....

So, who have read it, thoughts and beliefs?
      The bible is obviously not a history book, but it's a guide for people on how to live their lives and be happy. If you're already happy, you don't need to read the bible. If you choose to read it anyway, it'll take you a while, but don't limit yourself to the bible. It's by far not the only holy book ever written, and there are many other views on religion and way of life worth exploring. In most Western societies, if a man has a Lada, he wants a Ford, if he has a Ford he wants an Audi, if he has an Audi he wants a Rolls Royce, etc. In some parts of the world people live in what could be considered poverty by some standards, and they're perfectly happy. Here people are terrified of death, elsewhere people see it as a natural part of life and are at peace with it. Different views on what's important in life are always worth being looked into imo.

"If religion doesn't serve to make people happy, it serves to nothing." - cardinal Danneels.

I think it's clear to everyone that God will not shoot a magical beam of divine happiness into your brain, but religion might help you get peace of mind and something to hold on to.

Well, if you find an idiot who takes every page of the bible literally, and judge religious people on the basis of that example, you get a pretty negative view on the matter.

Originally posted by MathhNes

THE OFFICIAL GOD FAQ

Pretty funny indeed, but technically incorrect. It's impossible to prove there is no god, and this is not a subject where you can just assume something isn't there until proven otherwise. I lol'd the first time I read it though.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cash4mebg
      Watch Zeitgeist, it will help you have a " whole new look " about the awesome crap religion is. I am not saying that people should not believe in something, I am saying that they shouldn't believe in the " all mighty " that always watches from above and blah blah... you know what I mean. It is hard for educated people (I think we are, if we are learning and understanding poker is more than a game of luck) to believe in such things.
      Let me see if I understand your view correctly.

Smart, educated people <-> people who believe in god and other retards.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      My opinion... Whether there is a god or gods I'm doubtful, but I don't know. What I'm quite certain of though, is that religion is man-made.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?... like everything around us, it depends on how it is used.

Almost all religions that I've read about though have one thing in common - be a good person and try not to hurt others - and that just happens to be something I can believe in.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      I prefer 'Let there be range!' if you ask me...
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Originally posted by MathhNes

THE OFFICIAL GOD FAQ

Pretty funny indeed, but technically incorrect. It's impossible to prove there is no god, and this is not a subject where you can just assume something isn't there until proven otherwise. I lol'd the first time I read it though.
      How do you know that it's impossible to prove the (non)existence of God? :)

This proof method is known as contradiction: you assume the opposite and show that is can't work that way.

So let's assume there is an omnipotent God.
      Now we can ask ourselfs: can he create a rock so heavy, that he himself couldn't lift it?
      Now you can see that if he can do it, he is not even able to lift a rock, which is a contradiction with the fact that he is omnipotent.
      On the other hand, if he can't do it, then we get the same contradiction again, since he is not even able to create a rock with a given property and is therefore not omnipotent.

Since the existence of omnipotent God leads to contradiction in all cases, there isn't one.
    • cash4mebg
      cash4mebg
      Bronze
      Now someone should say "God is everything" :D :D :D
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meiffert
      How do you know that it's impossible to prove the (non)existence of God? :)
      The definition of a deity implies that it operates outside of known laws of physics, so the entire concept of proof does not apply here. Look at black holes. For a while science thought it knew almost everything about the nature of the Universe and it was just a matter of time before people understood every process in nature. Then we discover black holes that seem to operate partly outside of the laws of physics. Perhaps a deity is just another entity in (or perhaps outside?) our Universe that we haven't yet discovered and maybe never will. Either way, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility, although according to my belief a deity would have no interest in humans specifically, so it's irrelevant whether there is a god or not.

Originally posted by Meiffert
      This proof method is known as contradiction: you assume the opposite and show that is can't work that way.

So let's assume there is an omnipotent God.
      Now we can ask ourselfs: can he create a rock so heavy, that he himself couldn't lift it?
      Now you can see that if he can do it, he is not even able to lift a rock, which is a contradiction with the fact that he is omnipotent.
      On the other hand, if he can't do it, then we get the same contradiction again, since he is not even able to create a rock with a given property and is therefore not omnipotent.

Since the existence of omnipotent God leads to contradiction in all cases, there isn't one.
      Reductio ad absurdum relies on the axiom that a statement is either right or wrong at all times. That's just one of the assumptions you made. Another one would be that god is omnipotent and therefore cannot exist because omnipotence creates a paradox according to logic that humans are able to understand. This all stems from the belief that god created man in his image, which would mean it would have approximately the same properties as an individual, e.g. god uses logic, god has powers, god knows everything, etc. According to my belief (yeah, I know, I believe lots of stuff) if a deity exists, it is something far beyond our understanding and does not have certain properties it can be evaluated and classified by.