Resilence

• Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Hello all, a little introduction from me.

My name is Mikkel, I'm 31 yrs of age and from Denmark.
      I've never really been into poker, once i belivede it to be a game of chance, when i played strip poker on my c64... argh not my life story >_<
      Later I found out it was not, but considdered my self to old to get a hang of it, and really never had an interest untill now.
      And yes it basicly started out to be curiosity and the prospect of getting some cash, I've later found out this is proberly not gonna happen in manny years, if ever.
      But when I started to study the arts of poker, I found the rush of winning etc very exiting even against a computer oponement, and this is why I want to play poker now, to win :P

I've been searching the internet up and down, and this site seemed very user friendly, so decided to read it up and down, and so far it's been the best choice I've done so far.
      Easy to understand guides etc. so i'm looking forward to join the poker world for real. I hope to have a nice(good learning curve.

Yeah i guess i'm done now :P sorry if it was a to much to read, but i still think i've left out stuff >_<

And now for the homework...
      (decided to go and write all this after i lost almost all my hands in a NL cash game, bit frustrated, so far I've won most of my games)

jeeze i really suck to stop writing >_< "bare with me, i'm not trying to be confusing :P "
  • 49 replies
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

-To get a better understanding of the game, fun, the rush.
      -Money is ofcause a factor, not as important as when I started feeding my brain information.
      -Winning.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

-I have so manny >_<
      -Trying to be aggressive, but tend to end up on the showdown, having to fold.
      -Want to see action, hard to wait for the right cards.
      -Blush easily (useless for online poker i guess).
      -Doubting my hand after the flop.
      -And yes sometimes i play while tired.
      -I guess I tilt easy, atleast my GF seems to notice me aggroing the computer :P

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

-Playing few hands, mainly medicore- to monstercards.
      -Scaring of opponements, with large bets.
      -Willing to defend blinds against aggressors.Fold easily.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better. LOL @ GF seeing your tilt. :D

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

I don't think the SHC takes into account, how to blind steal, this is also a hard thing to write in a scheme as you have to know something about your opponement, if he is really tight, you can blind steal from him with a wider range of cards. (ex. T8s, A8o) atleast thats what i've experienced, and you can proberly widen the range even further if you know SB and BB is likely to fold.
      I know that AK is not a rather strong hand, as this hand can offer alot of trouble postflop. However it has not been a very bad one for me, maybe I overplay it preflop, don't know, but I rarely play AK unless I hit something on the flop.
      I tend to scare off, tight players with 4 BB opening.
      Most of the time I'm not scared of folding AK.

Not sure if the Ace-High to Middle Kicker takes into account that if they are suited they are somewhat stronger, but I guess they are played the same preflop?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

NL2 3d3c

Chose this link as it's the one I've spend most time analyzing, so far.
      And yeah it's still embarising to post hands where you can see obviously errors :P
      But basicly 3 of a kind is my biggest worry, it seems to be the one I loose the most to, even when I have 3 or my opponement has it.
      Not sure if i'll ever get better at playing this one correctly, I usually end up doing something stupid.
      But properly because I'm a bit blinded by these cards as they tend to be good, and somehow I forget to see if theres a straight or even a flush comming. (note to self WAKE UP!)

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.  ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

I'm not sure but it feels like cheating using the equilap, but the ranged offered is:

AKo = 46,32%
      vs.
      88+, Ajs+, KQs, Ako = 53,68%

Just a test if we know how to use equlap or?
      Hope I didn't miss anything, this homework got me alot of thinking hope I did ok :)

Edited for better overview :)
      Next time I'll make the question in bold and the answers in normal, hows that?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Not sure if the Ace-High to Middle Kicker takes into account that if they are suited they are somewhat stronger, but I guess they are played the same preflop?

They are definitely stronger. Especially those Ax high suited hands. They have bigger equity against any range. But according the chart they might be played a bit differently and not put that much effort into it cause it might be difficult to play with them postflop. You may face a lot preflop/postflop trouble with them and especially if you are OOP. SHC just teaches you the basics so you would get to know with preflop/postflop and when you are ready you will find out it yourself when to loosen up. :)

And nope, you ain't cheating if you using Equilab, that's the idea of the task to download equilab and use it.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Next time I'll make the question in bold and the answers in normal, hows that?

Both suit for me. :) Just point out which homework it is and you can even just put Question 1: and answer.

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Question 1:

Preflop:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Flop:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2:

First we have to calculate our pot odds versus our odds to make our hand.

(pot is 0,25 + 0,22 (hero bet) + 0,44 (BU Raise) + 0,22 (cost to call) = 1,13 divided with cost to call (1,13 : 0,22) = 5,13
      Turn pot odds = 5,1:1

(46 unknown cards - 17 that can help me = 29 that can't help me : 17 that can help me = 1,706)

11 clubs 3 aces 3 jacks = 17 outs = odds 1,7:1 = call

However he could have 3 of a kind so the aces and jacks should properly be discounted?
      In which case we only have 11 outs giving us the odds of 3,5:1
      Seeing the odds are still lower than the pot odds we should still just call, he is giving us rather good odds to continue.

Question 3:

Comming soon, tired spend all day studying poker :P
      And I need a new hand to post and I can't figure out what to ask right now ;)

Link to an evaluation I did today 02-04-12
      NL2 7s7c against loose
      NL2 KdTs BB slowplay
      NL2 JcTc

I'm guessing my postflop play was ok there?
      However I do tend to get into trouble when having three of a kind, I don't know, it feels like I get blinded by the fact that I have a rather good hand, and not willing to put it down when theres a FD possibility etc.
      I also think I should fold more pairs then shc tells me, I've gotten into alot of trouble with 55 and lower?

I also tend to play rather loose, when entering a table, is there a method so to speak where you can stop this and just play TAG instantly? :) doesn't really matter wheater I loose or win but takes about 30-40mins before I play TAG´.

Hope I am right so far, and yes still enjoying the course.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Damn It feels like shit when you've lost 2 buyins in a single day, and every hand just seems to be against you, really felt like titan poker was rigged today ;(

I'll relax a little untill the coaching, maybe you can cheer me up :P

Just needed to get it off my chest :P

and once again thx for all the advice, hope they stick soon ;)

Atleast I got my 4th 10$ out of the 50$, because of the points I got today :]

Litle update just wanted to say that I won some of my buy in back in tournament this evening 1,5 buy ins I fininshed 68 out of 600ish ppl so a bit happy again :P
      But it was properly nothing I guess, was just a freeroll :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Yeah, sometimes you have such crappy days where you just lose confidence in your game. But that's just poker, we have to get used to it. Any better now?

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Question 1:
      NL2 KcTs
      Not terrible proud of this one, but atleast I had the initiative.

Question 2:
      KTo 18.04.
      Tried to evaluate his hand, but really hard when it's someone you considder really good, and I propperly did bad evaluating it, but atleast I tried (just need to be less shy about it I guess) :P

Question 3: You are on the flop with K:spade: Q:diamond: . The board cards are J:spade: , 9:club: , 8:heart: , and your opponent holds 7:club: 7:heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Gimme a tell when you updated your thread. :)
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Updated, with a little more info :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

NL2 T6s

I'm still really bad at deciding, on stats, I usually still only use VPIP/PFR, and vs. fish's I'm really carefull when the board shows ranges from Qx+ hands or even low straights.
      But really needed to get on with my homework, just hope I get better at it all :)

I havn't given up I'm just very carefull, and think maybe I'm not good enough ;)

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Hate this part even more, I'm not qualified for this I think :f_eek:
      It's really hard to evaluate a hand when it feel like they are all much better then yourself, but found one, where I poste my views on it a hile ago.
      And you evaluate with such speed that it's usually hard to find one where you havn't been ad :P

Nl2 22

Question 3: Consider the following situation:
      Ouch not sure I would have checked the flop, this confuses me :)
      But as played, SB bet doesn't really indicate much, he would usually call with PP, suited conectors would be to loose for his range, I think. Him having JJJ is a bit doubtfull, he could have JT, But I think he would have betted the flop for protection.
      BB is properly just calling because he wants to hit his draw.
      What to do what to do, I think I would raise here! which mostlikely is the wrong move :P
      hero has the flush, only beaten by a higher flush, four of a kind or full house. which is unlikely.
      So I guess my answer is r/f and I might raise it a bit bigger than 3x (3.5x?) because of BB looseiness... (they are also not that happy to see the showdown, unless they have a hand they are both under 30%)

Hope I'm not way off maybe it's to hard for me, but gave it a go :)

Question 4: Consider the following situation:
      If this was me I would donk bet, due to the fact I have overcards, but I think this is wrong ;)
      Correct way of actions might be to c/c depending on the odds he gives us.
      He's sort of aggressive so he will mostlikely cbet the flop.

Jeeze I suck at this, but atleast I tried, give me your evuhl evaluation and lets get it over with, maybe it can help me, become better at analyzing my oponments which I really think I suck at :)

Hope it all sticks to my brain so I understand it soon hehe
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

Don't worry if you make mistakes by evaluating other hands or either evaluating homework, from mistakes we learn. How else we should get better?

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Jeeze it took along time reading for me this time, but guess it's good, I couldn't remember reading the article: "After the Flop: No One Has Initiative".
      Unfortuneately I think I have to read it again a few times, it was really loooong, and I don't like reading to much, writing is ok, but can't learn much from writing I guess :P

Q1:
      [FR] NL2 KJo

Took this one as it's a multiway, not much freeplay here, and it's a hand I'm gonna remember the hard way, really made me feel down to post it.
      And made me wonder, should I start over have I even learned anything?

Q2:
      I'll do that soon, just wanted to get to the hard questions, and getting on with the course.
      Decided to let it out on MeAmor22, hope he forgives me :P

nl2 hero TT

Q3:
      It's usually not a good thing when a calling stations starts to become aggressive, but at the same time, they don't need to hit much in order to think they are ahead.
      I would considder folding, but two pairs, which are rather strong here, i'm not sure.
      He could have AQ or other Ax hands, noone attacked the flop, I'm not sure if he would slowplay if he hit AJ type of hands.
      Think I would call and c/c river. I wouldn't raise against him seems unwise with this type of player.
      Why did it have to be the calling station :P
      Then again my hand wont improve on the river, so would be calling against a bluff.
      Did he complete a straigth KT, and do I belive his raise on turn, to be ahead of my two pair?

I think this question properly hit my biggest leak atm :P
      And why did the maniac check flop, they do this? :P

Please be kind I don't feel to confident with poker these past hand posting sessions ;)
      Nah just give me your critisism, I'll deal with it, all your advice is appreciated, it just my stupponness thats the problem if I don't always follow it (sorry for that, I am trying to improve) :f_cool:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

We are here to improve and nothing else, that also means that it's kinda logical that you will mistakes which you shouldn't be ashamed!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Question 1:

[Fr] Nl2 Qq(2)
      This is close to SH :P

Question 2:

Hope I didn't to bad...
      Nl2 Ak

Question 3:

Not exactly sure what to do here, been using alot of time analysing it, seems here hero would have to call.
      I put CO and BU on dfferent ranges that hits the board, not sure if it's right but we have about 50% equity here, reason I don't like it is because our cards are rather smallish, but if we hit here we will win a pot of $30 only paying $10, so we will loose $10 half the time and win $20 half the time, this means it would pay off in the long run, winning $10 aveage.
      If we only had one opponement I think I would fold here.

Question 4:

Folding is to weak here, but I think raising would put us in a bad situation.
      I would make a hero call, in order for him to keep bluffing, I think villain is rarely ahead here.
      (Mostlikely while playing self, I would properly have reraised in this spot, but I think it would be smarter to evaluate turn here, I rarely think that much about it when I play self >_<)

Hope I wasn't way off, and no you don't have to be gentle anymore, hit me where it hurts, I'll deal with it ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Best of Luck on the Tables.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      I can see that I atill have alot problems with ranges, and I still fail on pot odds, hopefully it sticks now.
      Really didn't think I would put villains on such strong ranges tho ;)
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Lesson 8

Warning wall of text incomming :P

Question 1:

inc. soon

Question 2:

NL2 - good/bad river fold?

Question 3:
      I'm so sure that these last examples are trick questions :P
      But I have to tell how I would play them and try to give a reasonable respond to why, you can always tell me I'm wrong, and least likely, right on :P

I'm not sure what BB would call me with in this situation, maybe PP which should disclude 88's imo, but lets keep them there... so 33,66,88 and some perhaps some suited connectors, lets say they are hearts, I still think villain would raise against us with 88...

Flop would then give him:

Board: 3:heart: 6:heart: 8:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      BU     36.45%  36.45%   0.00% { 9h8h }
      SB     63.55%  63.55%   0.00% { 88, 66, 33, 7h6h, 6h5h, 5h4h }

However I doubt that he would slowplay with his AF when hitting a set?
      his call indicate he has suited cards, perhaps not even connected, seeing the jack on the turn could indicate KhQh, KhTh, QhTh, 7h6h, 6h5h, 5h4h, I still doubt Villain to have the high ones, but could be. I tend not to give villains enough credit :f_eek:

In this scenario it would give us turn to look something like this:

Board: 3:heart: 6:heart: 8:diamond:  J:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      BU     23.86%  23.86%   0.00% { 9h8h }
      SB     76.14%  76.14%   0.00% { KhQh, KhTh, QhTh, 7h6h, 6h5h, 5h4h }

Well in any case this is why I feel so unconfident, putting ranges on villains is always messed up from my point of view, I really doubt that this was right on :P
      But at least I tried hehe...

Well what to do, checking might seem as a good idea, but if villain raises we would have to fold...
      I would still second barrel it... hope I'm right :D

Turn:
      r/f to get a free showdown!
      I don't think we have odds to call his bet after a raise, and cheking turn would be a bit weak, I think.

River:
      c/c, unless he ships it I would c/f then

Question 4: Bonus

Are you sure this is not a trick question?
      My first reaction is to just call his shove, but would he ship with 2 pairs?
      He only beats us with KK, QQ...
      But guess i'll have to learn some math first :P

In order to call we have to invest $142,95 into a pot of $678,55 thats about 17% equity.

I really need more of these not sure I'm good enough for the exam :P
      If my ranges on him is QQ+ then we only get 50% so in essence we would have to fold this full house :f_cry:
      But my ranges are properly wrong, if we add AKo, AKs we still only get 25% equity, In this case we could call? not sure if we could put him on wider ranges, as he is a TAG, and they usually fold most hands from ppl opening at MP, but it is 6max so he could have there alot looser... adding AT+, KQo,KQs is a bit more interesting gives us something like...

Board: 7:club: 8:spade: 8:diamond:  K:diamond:  Q:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    93.26%  93.26%   0.00% { 8h7h }
      CO      6.74%   6.74%   0.00% { TT+, ATs+, KQs, ATo+, KQo }

And then it's a call, thank god it's a bonus question :P

Hope I'm good enough to continue, or atleast with some help, still think I get in doubt to much, and maybe rethink things a bit to much...

How did I do, did I fail this class? Do I have to start over?
      hopefully you can tell me, and tank you for all the help, been quite an experience, hope I'll pass the exam if I am able to gte to it :P