Skip to forum
Swiss attempts to w...
 
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Swiss attempts to win at Rush poker!

112 Posts
29 Users
0 Reactions
17.4 K Views
Kruppe
Joined: 20.02.2008
BlackMember

nice graph. is it NL10?

on a more serious note: how many bb/100 is that in negative nonSD winnings?

edit: lol octarine


swissmoumout Topic starter
swissmoumout
Joined: 24.02.2007
Elite Grinder

Overall, it's -11.77bb/100 at nonSD. 6-tabling, according to this very small sample, it's approximately -5.11bb/100 (give or take 1.5 or so)

aaand.. update time!

I finished my first live stake (agreement is, I play 5 sessions, then get my share, then we reset) at +4325chf = +1.3k for me. It's pretty good imo, considering I played about the same amount of NL1k and 2k, and had two losing sessions. I'm also 2 sessions in on the second stake and down a little under 1k atm. It's almost exclusively NL2k though (I'll play 1k if the table breaks up), so I should be able to recover fairly quickly.

In other news, I got (some of) my money back from Party! (again). I say some of, because they didn't give me my $1.8k in bonuses, and on my 3k bankroll, I lost about 300$ due to the euro losing value. whatevs, it's a start. Only problem is, they had me make a new account, and told me I had to deposit to be able to receive the money. So I deposited 50$ without much thought, and.. realized just later that I'd pretty much blown the 500$ first deposit bonus -.-'
All the more reason to just cash out the moniez, I guess. Plus, this way I can concentrate my play on Titan and get more rewards.
With this, my bankroll is at about 2500€, so I'm taking NL100$/€ shots, with a little NL50€/£ when things go bad.

I can't be bothered to write too much, so I'll just continue in list format:

Goals for June:
- Watch all the DC vids I downloaded (~15; Eightfold path and thin red line series)
- Crush NL100$/€/£, maintain a high hourly rate
- If possible, move up to NL200 (with a few coachings)
- Get a haircut
- Get glasses made ASAP

Goals for the summer (June-August)
- Play min. 6h/day, 5 days/week
- Make $30k inc. RB
- Study some more
- exercise more

I think I explained it earlier already, but the reason for this 30k in 3 months is that I'm starting university in mid-September, and I want to have moved in to a new flat, and be completely financially independent by the beginning of that month. I think I can do it, but it definitely won't be easy. That said, I'll get almost 10k in rakeback even just 6-tabling (and I don't want to play more tables than that).
That means I need an average hourly of ~50$ before rakeback, which I think I can pull off if I discipline myself enough, and actually put in some studying time.

As far as live play goes: assuming I play NL2k staked, I'll consider one hour of live to be roughly equivalent to 1 hour of online NL100€. That means that as long as I'm only rolled to play NL100, I can e.g play live 3 days a week, and online for the remaining 2 days, and count it as a 5-day week of poker.
Once I'm rolled for NL200 though, opportunity cost will make it less profitable to play live (assuming I can get a decent WR online), so I'll consider each day of live play to be half-a-day off. The goal obviously being to maintain this 5-day/week schedule to ensure I can reach my goals.

Oh yeah, my goals also include travelling a little around Europe, but that entirely depends on moniez, so for the time being, poker comes first.
Well, poker and parties and sports. It is summer after all, I'm not gonna be in my room 24/7 :)


DaPhunk
Joined: 01.03.2008
Elite Grinder

Originally posted by swissmoumout
I'm not gonna be in my room 24/7 :)

That'll be a change from this winter then ;)


hey Swiss i have a question about ur trip to USA. Do u need visa for 1 week vacation to go there? Or how did u arrange it?

thanks


Yoghi
Joined: 10.09.2007
BlackMember

Visa Waiver program should work. Just google for it. It's pretty easy and I never had problems with it.


Originally posted by Yoghi
Visa Waiver program should work. Just google for it. It's pretty easy and I never had problems with it.

i know about it but i am from Bulgaria and we are still not in it :(


Yoghi
Joined: 10.09.2007
BlackMember

Move out of your 3rd world country ♦

Contacting the embassy would be easiest.


swissmoumout Topic starter
swissmoumout
Joined: 24.02.2007
Elite Grinder

If you're not part of the visa waiver program, then yeah, you need a visa. Count on getting it done 2 months before your trip, to be safe.


i looooove NYC. most awesome place to visit imo. ♦
i know that's a retardedly late post.
but i just discovered ur blog. so there.

and yoghi, excuuuuse us for living. but even if we moved out of our 3rd world countries, it wouldnt matter unless our citizenship changes with it... :O

and for ivan, we get our visa fr the US embassy. :]


swissmoumout Topic starter
swissmoumout
Joined: 24.02.2007
Elite Grinder

Thanks for your post, it'll force me to update ♦

June went pretty much nothing like planned. I almost didn't play online the first two weeks. Instead, I spent one week playing live, and one week working around the house; we transformed a workshop into a music room, which involved a lot of holes in the walls, wood work etc etc. At least I got paid a little for that, so it wasn't a complete loss.
Around the 15th, I got an email from Titan saying that I would get a 1000$ bonus (of which 500$ immediate) if I could return to Diamond status by the end of the month. I played a bit of NL100, 6 tabling, but unfortunately I hit a bit of a downswing, losing about 750$ in one session. It's really annoying because I normally would stop at -3 or 400, but I simply didn't notice I lost that much (it was a long session, and I wasn't tilted at all, and playing fine imo).
So anyway, because of that and the fact that I withdrew 1k+ this month, I moved down to NL50. I was way behind pace for diamond (on titan), so I usually played 8 tables. I actually played a couple 12-tabling sessions, since I assumed the bonus $ was better than the EV I lost by playing too many tables. I was curious though, especially since I calculated that I needed roughly 27k hands in 3 days to reach diamond (I'm no TwiceT, but I could still pull that off 12-tabling). I checked my stats, and it seems that a difference of about 6bb/100 between 6 and 12-tabling (counting non-sd only, which is quite representative imo) is reasonable to expect. Over 27k hands, that would've been a difference of about.. 1050$. hurray for math, I just saved myself a little money and a lot of grinding :f_confused:

So anyway, so far this month I'm down about 700$ online (but I got almost 1.2k in bonuses), and up 1.5-2k between live poker and working on the house.

I'm still battling with my main problem: discipline. I just can't bring myself to do anything useful; whether it's getting up early rather than putting the alarm back 2 hours every time, or watching videos, or actually putting in enough hours of play.. So that's what I'll be working on these next few weeks.
I procrastinate so much I didn't even call the ophthalmologist to get my eyes checked, even though I either can't focus properly, or get headaches within hours. So yeah, I should see to that one of these days.

So anyhoo, my plans for July are pretty much
- Actually put in the 7h+ of poker per day I'm supposed to
- Play at least 3 times live to finish my current staking agreement
- Make maniez
- Play 5/7 days minimum

That last one is harder than I expected. This month I went out at least 2 or 3 times per week.. On the bright side, most of my best friends are going on holiday or to the army (yeah, it's compulsory in Switzerland. you can laugh.) in the next few days, so I might not go out so much. On the slightly-less-bright side, the Montreux Jazz festival starts in a couple days (and runs for 2 weeks or so). There are loads of awesome concerts, including a bunch of free ones, and it's always a fun time, so I'll spend at least a little time there.
Anyhoo, that's about it. I'll try to update a tad more often so I can avoid massive posts like these ;) (thanks for reading, if anyone did). later!


Fongie
Joined: 02.12.2006
Oldschool Grinder

Don't force yourself to play too much during the summer imo, gain some life ev by enjoying it a bit too :f_p:


swissmoumout Topic starter
swissmoumout
Joined: 24.02.2007
Elite Grinder

oh, I am :)

This is where most parties are in the summer (i.e, where I spend half my time), it's a park at the edge of the lake in Vevey

(shitty cellphone camera, and bad pic, it doesn't even show a third of the view)

We leave our beer to chill in that lake, but it tends to get away.. already lost >5 litres this summer :(
There's also a giant screen 5mins away where they show all the world cup matches, so it's pretty awesome these days :)

But yeah, I took a year off mostly to enjoy life before going to uni, so I plan on doing that :f_cool: But part of my plans involve a couple weeks of travelling around Europe, and I need mucho moniez for that, hence the grinding..


Kruppe
Joined: 20.02.2008
BlackMember

you're meant to enjoy your life during uni, donk


swissmoumout Topic starter
swissmoumout
Joined: 24.02.2007
Elite Grinder
Nosebleed (well, sorta) PLO TR

Yesterday, I played in a private game that runs every week or so, and usually has ~6 players. Stakes are 10/20NL -- just like the casino, except the rake is much much lower. Plus it's short-handed with the usual casino regs who really, really suck at SH. Well, there's one solid reg, but that's it. So at worst, it's ez moniez :)

Anyhoo, yesterday there were 7 or 8 people, mostly buying in for 1k or so. Nothing very interesting, I just won a few small pots. For the first couple hours, it was only NLHE (as usual). I always try to get them to play PLO, but most of the time, they just wanted to stick to hold'em. This time though, there were a few other people interested in PLO, so we eventually agreed to switch to Dealer's choice (i.e, whoever has the button decides whether to play PLO or HE for that hand). Now, you might not think of this as something particularly important, but here's the kicker: they were (mostly) completely clueless. I'm not exaggerating; I actually had to explain the rules to 2 people ♦ And they were willing to play high-stakes in a game they had just learnt.. Can you say easy money? ♠_biggrin:

At this point, I was up to about 1.7-1.8k (bought in for 1k like everyone else), but there were a few bigger stacks, so I reloaded 1k more. Then it just went crazy. Almost everyone was choosing PLO, even the guys who had just learnt the game. I started straddling almost every time I was UTG (which I still think may have been directly profitable given the opponents), and almost everyone else was straddling too. About 1/3rd-1/2 of all hands even had two straddles, so we were mostly playing either 10/20/40 or 10/20/40/80. Nosebleed PLO against complete fish, yumyum ♠_cool:

It felt a little weird winning "very small pots" of 1k+ with just an overpair against an overplayed top pair, and that wasn't even the strangest hands.. We even saw two cases of the newbies thinking they could use 1 or 3 cards from their hand.. :P
Unfortunately it didn't last very long - only 2 hours or so, before almost everyone switched back to hold'em (and the game broke up less than half an hour after that). I didn't even play any big pots, and I finished up 3.2k CHF (about 3k$).
More importantly though, I'm pretty sure we're going to play a lot of PLO from now on in that game.. the next few sessions should be quite interesting ♦


thats awesome. I dont understand y people would agree to play high stakes PLO with 0 experience.


swissmoumout Topic starter
swissmoumout
Joined: 24.02.2007
Elite Grinder

Time for my monthly post!

I just had a TwiceT-style weekend, which taught me a valuable lesson: not everyone can party like a crazy person, sleep 5 hours and wake up fresh as a daisy to play poker all day.
maybe I should get coaching on that.

slightly less short TR:

Yesterday, I thought I'd go out for "one or two beers" with a friend.. I assumed I'd just be staying a couple hours, cause he and his brother had a birthday party to go to later on.. so anyway, we go to the bar, and one or two beers later, a couple more friends show up, and we decide to go drink a few somewhere above the lake:


This is only half the view :)

So, one martini bottle (between 4 of us -- there was one driver) later, we go back to the bar for another "beer or two" (do you see the pattern here?).. so we ordered a "kamikaze". Not the real Kamikaze cocktail though -- it was basically a mix of anything the bartender feels like giving you (in our case, white Rum, vodka and Gin, with some pineapple juice, orange juice and grenadine, which they serve in a shaker with a bunch of shot glasses.. it's not very strong, but I must've had 4 or 5 shots, i think.

Then we went to the club for our friend's birthday (I decided I wasn't done drinking for the night, even though I had to wake up before noon for a live donkament), where I vaguely remember a bunch of jagermeister shots, and mucho vodka, and a lot of dancing like an idiot (TT would be proud ♦)..
so anyway, I got home at ~4:30am, and I tried to work out how much i had had to drink.. I think it's roughly the equivalent of 20+ shots + 2-3 beers, which would probably explain the hour of painful vomiting I had to think about it.

Oh and the best part is, like I said, I had a live tourney to play at 1:30pm.. Thankfully, I was smart enough to set my alarm for 12:00 before I started drinking. Unfortunately, the battery ran out while I was passed out on the couch. I'm not entirely sure how, but I actually woke up on my own at 12:30, and managed to get to the casino on time. However, I had only slept for 6h or so, and I hadn't drunk any water before that, so I was really hungover (which ends my streak of no hangovers ever :(), and, apparently, still quite drunk (I feel pretty stupid having driven like that, but at least now I'll know to wait at least 12 hours or so after drinking..). Thankfully, my breakfast waited until I was parked to come rushing back out, mere minutes before I was set to play a 750$, 90-man MTT.

So I was in a pretty shitty state for the first few levels, but I still didn't make any bad plays (thus confirming, yet again, that even a brain-dead moron can play MTTs correctly). I didn't win any big pots though, and after 5 hours or so -- when the blinds start getting real big, and you have to win pots -- I started to be completely card dead. I went from 14bb to 2bb without having a single shovable hand. Well actually, I could've played one hand, but I'm not sure if it's profitable to open ship 74o in the SB with ~3BBs into the BB's massive stack. I ended up busting with a monster (T9s). I had 2.4k chips or so, blinds were 900/1800 /400 ante, so I could have more than quadrupled up if it weren't for my opponent's AK holding up. I finished in ~32nd (top 10 made the money),

..aaand this is way longer than I expected (yeah yeah, that's what she said), so I guess I'll just stop here and update about poker in a day or two. till then!

oh, and...


'tis the Swiss national day today

TwiceT
Joined: 15.07.2007
BlackMember

♠_love: im so proud of u man :f_love:

u are def. on your path to poker enlightenment :f_grin:


conall88
Joined: 02.01.2009
PokerStrategist

just watch out for potholes ♦ :tongue:


swissmoumout Topic starter
swissmoumout
Joined: 24.02.2007
Elite Grinder

just realised I forgot to update about poker..

I didn't really talk much about online because I'm not too crazy about my results (to put it mildly). I've had pretty bad results, and tbh I don't think it's just variance. Like I said a few posts above, I managed to improve my red line a decent amount at one point. After that though, it dipped a *lot*, and I don't really know why. Maybe I just started being less attentive, maybe I "forgot" some moves I had implemented in my game, or maybe I have a super obvious leak that half the nl100 regs exploit.

More importantly though, I was lazy. Really, really lazy. I had these ambitious goals of putting in lots of hours (35h of play/week minimum), and I ended up playing maybe 2-3h a day, tops. Between partying/going out and just slacking off, I basically wasted 2 perfect months of potential grinding time.
Regarding the money-related goals (30k this summer), I obviously set that way too high, but I did "realistically" expect to make at least 15k, which would've been enough to either pay for nice holidays + money in the bank, or contribute towards getting a flat closer to university by end of september. So yeah, that failed massively. So far, I'm up probably ~2k online (I don't even want to check my overall results), and almost 3k live.

So anyway, regarding my actual game, I took a coaching with TwiceT the other day to try and improve a little, and.. well, my head asploded from all the new things he taught me ^^ I'm actually having trouble implementing everything into my game (1h clearly isn't enough to change so much), so I think I "spewed" a little as a result of not really knowing what to do when I was taking an unconventional line. Gonna have to work on my game some more, and ship mucho moniez to TT I guess :f_p:

Also news: I tried Rush (the game, not the band) for the first time today, at NL50. man, it's awesome :f_cool:
I expected it to be a nitfest, from the couple videos I watched and what I heard about it, but it was actually surprisingly fishy for a Monday evening! I got fish to call off their whole stacks with overcards or other crappy hands a bunch of times, and NL50 regs are easy enough to bluff in obvious spots. Plus I really like the format, so I have a feeling I'll stick around for a while :)

Since I'll be playing rush a lot these coming weeks, I'm thinking I could do like everyone and actually post frequent updates about poker in this blog.. It's a new game for me, so my ego shouldn't suffer too much if/when I post losing graphs, and it'll be a good way to keep me disciplined, methinks. So, with that in mind:
Mini-update #1:
Just played a short session (1-2 tables, 30mins, 280hands, +100$ :f_biggrin: ) after watching hasenbraten's introduction to rush video, and both of mdm13's vids on DC.
By the way, can anyone recommend some good rush (SH) videos? Those 3 are the only ones I could find, and they're from 6 months ago, so I'm guessing there's some more up-to-date strategies by now..

Ok, that's all for now. And I just realized that this post is nothing but a big wall of text, so I'm going to randomly include a video to give the illusion of interesting-ness.

This is a fairly new (and very talented) artist from Wales/Greece. ...and a very WTF video (check out her other stuff too, it's mucho awesome)

Oh and here's another cool song by her, and a great live version of it I just stumbled upon:


Gerv
Joined: 07.05.2008
Elite Grinder

leggo only has FR but from a producer I really like

So if you haven't been playing poker... did you get some swiss punani then? ♦


Share: