Long term online poker success with winning strategies – register for free!

The best strategies With the correct strategy, poker becomes an easy game. Our authors show you how to succeed, one step at a time.

The smartest thinkers Learn from and with internationally successful poker pros, in our live coaching sessions and in the forum.

Free poker money PokerStrategy.com is free of charge. Additionally there is free poker money waiting for you.

You are already a PokerStrategy.com member? Log in here!

StrategySit & Go

Critical Analysis of the 10 BB Shove/Fold Rule


In this article
  • Disproving an Absolute 10 BB Rule
  • Balancing your Min-Raise Range
  • Antes and ICM

There is a widely-quoted rule in tournament poker mandating a shove-or-fold strategy with a 10 BB stack. While there is not a single source for this rule, its proponents may express it as:

“With an effective stack of 10 BB or shallower, you should either shove or fold pre-flop, but not limp or make a smaller raise.”

In this article, we will analyze how correct the 10 BB rule is in different situations.

Disproving an Absolute 10 BB Rule

It is not difficult to disprove this rule if we regard it as an absolute.

Those arguing in favor of the 10 BB rule being universally applicable must show that in every instance where the effective stack is 10 BB or shallower, limping or raising smaller are lower EV options compared to folding or shoving. To prove that the rule doesn’t always hold, however, it suffices to give a single counter-example.

Blinds: $50-$100

Our Hand: 3s2c

Action: Everyone folds to us on the button. We have a stack of $1,000, as do both blinds. Both blinds have static defense ranges of the top 20% of hands, which they will 3-bet/shove if we raise small, and call if we shove.

Question: Should we fold, min-raise, or shove?

Analysis: Ignoring card removal effects, both players will fold 64% of the time (80% x 80%). If we min-raise, our EV is therefore given by:

EV = Probability (Both Fold) x Reward (Both Fold) + Probability (At Least One Defends) x Reward (At Least One Defends)

= 64% x $150 + 36% x (-$200)

= $24

Now suppose we shove. We win the same $150 64% of the time, but the remaining 36% we are (at best) paying $1,000 for 29.2% equity in a $2100 pot, for a loss of about $387. So the EV of shoving will be at most -$43.32, or lower if the caller is the big blind -- giving us less overlay -- or both call.

The EV of raise/folding a larger amount must also be less than the EV of min-raising, as we simply lose more those times we’re shoved on, but have the same reward for a successful steal.

The EV of folding is $0.

Therefore min-raising is the better play over folding or shoving.

Note that it’s very difficult to calculate the EV of limping due to the number of assumptions involved, but it is likely -EV to voluntarily pay 10% of our stack to get involved against one or two random hands with offsuit low cards.

Lastly, we have assumed in this hand that we are playing a cash game or MTT where we can safely use a chip EV analysis. Later we will see how adding in an ante or ICM framework modifies our results.


That's not the entire article...

With a free membership at PokerStrategy.com, you'll get free poker money to play poker with and therefore the chance to gain access to hundreds of strategy articles such as these - and of course poker videos, live coaching sessions and strategy forums. Register now for free and start playing to enable all our offers.

Register now

Comments (4)

#1 RoyalBluff110, 19 Jan 12 23:04

This is the very same tactic I started to practice not long ago, much effective when mixing min raise and shove hand ranges.. Good stuff- Greetings from Croatia!

#2 DEVILazas, 20 Apr 12 11:48

Thanks, will try

#3 maythany, 31 Aug 12 02:48


#4 NijeVaznoKoSam, 12 Aug 14 08:09

good article! the advantage of minraising at this stack depth is that in some situations you look much stronger then if you just shove